Experiences Have you ever had Roleplay indecisiveness?

Have you ever had Roleplay indecisiveness?

• Total voters

Sorin

huntress.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Topic.

I've found that I've had this issue more and more with each with passing day in which I want to Roleplay, but I'm not sure what I want to write. I'm especially finding it difficult to give up what little free time I have aside from one concept I've been really attached to, but at the same time, I also want to spread my writing wings a little, so to speak. It's been a real dilemma for me as of late.

So, I wanted to ask: Has anyone ever had this before? If so, how have you handled it?

This is a huge part of my ADHD, it's "decision paralysis". It's my brains inability to prioritize something, start the task, and complete it. This happens with just about anything from making dinner, doing laundry, and yes, even which RP I'll reply to or what things I want to RP. It's a huge reason why I made a visual tracker for replies because if I can't see it, it won't get done and I'll forget.

In terms of just general "I want to write but what do I write?" I usually just look at all the things I'm currently interested in and go down the list one by one. Something will eventually hit me. Or maybe it won't. Sometimes when I want to write, I really just want to work on character sheets I've been ignoring. Or fixing my search threads. All of that is still writing, and usually satisfies whatever itch I was having.

Sometimes I get too many vague ideas that I'd like to rp, but since those ideas are vague, I'm not sure what exactly I want to rp.

This is where finding the right rp partner helps, you can bounce ideas off each other and end up with something both of you would want to rp.

Sort of. I've got a bunch of ideas I want to develop, but I favor what I can implement most expediently, so I usually either end up with my go-to rp, or something that doesn't need too much development to launch.

I have experience with not being sure what I want to write. Sometimes I know what I want to write but it rarely turned out exactly like I expect. If I don't know what I want to write, sometimes I go and read a list of ideas, or either take some inspiration from one of my OCs or other characters I like. I can even sometimes take some inspiration of other people's OCs.

i always tell myself i want to start an rp and develop some of my characters that have been on the back burner for years, but i always struggle to find a plot or vibe that gives me the push to do that, and so when i do start rps, i usually find myself doing the same sort of things on repeat. when one dies, i start up one with the same kind of premise, etc.

it's kind of a shame too because i want to branch out, but figuring out what to branch into is hard.

Yep, happens all the time. Honestly, I think it happens to everyone even, but that's besides the point. My mind is just constantly coming up with all these ideas, for characters, plots and other things, often even after a systematic breakdown a lot of them are hard to give up.

Case in point, though it's largely motivated by the fact I haven't gotten to RP at all lately, and the lack of time to produce anything, I am currently in the process of trying to figure out what kind of group RP to tackle since I probably won't be able to do more than one, at least when it comes to running such an RP.

Well, what will probably happen is what usually does with this, I either find a way to mix the ideas or I end up eventually find reasons that are good enough to finally convince me to drop some.

I get discouraged easily and someone voodoo dolled me at least on rps. I get constantly ghosted so I lose interest in ideas easily.

Yes! I normally get stuck between two ideas, so I'm always happy when I can RP at least two characters.

I am dealing with this right now, and it's FRUSTRATING. Especially when a lot of people seem to seek daily activity for a rp, which burns me out. It is even part of the reason why I took such a long hiatus from rp.

But now that I am back, I am both in the mood for everything and also nothing at the same time. I want to write specific tropes or in specific themes, but I also can never make up my mind where to start, how to approach my ideas in a way I can present it to someone else, and question whether or not I will enjoy this in the long-run.

It really helps if you have a writing partner who is just as flexible in terms of ideas, activity, etc. But those people are kinda hard to find, I feel.

For me, what helps is watching movies, going through pics on Pinterest that match the vibe that I’ve been feeling or even just putting out a vague idea helps. If you have a trusted partner, it really helps to also just brainstorm or idea dump!

Though at least in my experience what has helped a lot is watching movies or series that fit the genre that has struck my interest. For some reason it does wonders in jogging up my creativity, especially after a long hiatus.

Sometimes.

This happens especially often in times of great physical, mental, or financial turmoil for myself or anyone around me. When real life gets in the way, it grinds my creative process to a halt, and I just can't nail down a topic. Probably an ADHD thing, but I never got diagnosed, so don't take my word for it.

My "solution" is to pick a random game on my steam library - ideally one I haven't played - and play it for an hour. If it's no good, rinse and repeat. If it's fun or interesting, I either keep playing, or I've fixed my idea drought.

1000%, I want to write but mental exhaustion and my inability to commit thought to digital writing inhibits me. I have this clear idea in my head “what I want to do,” but external influences (working, cats, partner etc), trump my priorities.

Reading and audiobooks have helped me “settle into the writing mood,” ie, switching my brain to, “we are now in word mode,”

Sometimes, though, the brain does not want to settle and I am musing all over the place lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back