Experiences Has anyone actually completed an RP before?

So I just want to know if anyone has actuall finished an RP before, as in completely wrapped up the plot/finished the first part before a sequel. I've never actually seen one before.
Yeah! I've completed heaps, you just gotta find the right people that have the inspiration and passion to complete one I was once in an rp on my first year at the site that started first year high school and ended up with their own kids starting school! It was thousands of pages long and amazing.

I'm noticing a trend here and it's been a thought in my mind for a few months now. Most of you have completed RPS off of this site. Do you think it may be the attitude of this site's majority? I tend to see a lot of laziness in a good number of people in this site. As well as people who think dying RPs are the norm and let it happen. I may be overthinking it but it could be a community issue
I don't see it as much of a community issue. I've been on multiple websites where roleplays end for mostly the same reasons. If anything, I would assume that the end to many roleplays is due to them aspects of forum roleplay.

I don't see it as much of a community issue. I've been on multiple websites where roleplays end for mostly the same reasons. If anything, I would assume that the end to many roleplays is due to them aspects of forum roleplay.

Aspects of forum roleplay? Do you mind telling me more about your thoughts on this?

Aspects of forum roleplay? Do you mind telling me more about your thoughts on this?
Well let's look at some aspects of most forum roleplays. Before I get in though, I like to define forum roleplays as roleplays where most of the communication and roleplaying takes place in posts on a forum, regardless of what type the roleplay or the forum is.

One aspect of forum roleplaying is loose response time. In most tabletop roleplays, a player can respond to the roleplay whenever they can. This is different from any roleplay where roleplaying is done in single or schedule sessions. It allows people who don't have much freetime to roleplay. It also allows for one to have time to think over their response before they reply. However, the time expected for a new response may vary greatly, unlike in a sessioned roleplay where responses usually come quick. Due to outside factors affecting the players, it may be days before someone post. People might become uninterested in the roleplay over the time waiting for a new posts, thereby leading to a loss of players and the eventual stopping of the roleplay.

That's an aspect of forum roleplaying that can lead to the end of a roleplay before a true conclusion of it. Do not take this seriously, as the only information I got on it is from experience and there are many other ways a roleplay can end unexpectedly. I am not condemning this aspect either. Without it, I probably wouldn't be able to do any roleplaying.

Roleplaying overall is like a house of cards, from the classic d&d type of roleplay to a roleplay forum. I've seen people get bored and quit halfway through d&d and I've seen many forum roleplays die halfway through.

The problem is, while d&d type games are meant to be finished in one long session, for the most part forum type roleplays are mostly plotless and expecting to go on for pretty much ever, and it's shown by the popularity of the swarms of school roleplays. Which are pretty much able to go on forever due to the fact that it's school, there doesn't need to be a complex story for one. And roleplays with the plot shoved down your throat all the time usually fail as well. There needs to be a balanced zone between the two.

To make a good forum roleplay you need a few things.
1 a relevant plot, you need a plot that makes sense and stays with the players for the whole roleplay.
2 creativity, it's a no brainier that a bland roleplay won't go anywhere, as more and more topics get explored and branch out, from my experience people need a breath of fresh air.
3 communication, Omega level beings known as the role play moderators need to be on the same page as their fellow roleplayers. From my experience there is always the one person who is in the first area of the role play and then complains when nobody interacts with them. That and having everyone on the same page always helps.

And the most important step.
(Insert drumroll here)
Luck, you may have made or make a creative roleplay with a good plot and are more than ready to communicate with anyone who asks about your rp. But people might not be interested in your idea (or your interest thread gets flooded 7 pages back by school rps) you will need luck to find people willing to roleplay your idea and way more luck for your rp to stick around.

But to answer the actual question yes I have finished a few roleplays, and the experiences have been pleasant.

(Except the one time I was forced to be the antagonist and still had to use the combat system made for the heroes and kept getting rekt. And then everyone just ignored me, I hated that)

Oh Heckles, This is a good discussion.
While I am on this topic, I must speak for a small minority f the problem pie.
I appear to have fallen into a pattern of some sort: I am in an Rp and I have a brilliant idea- something unique and amazing - Maybe it is a Character? A rp idea? whatever.- and I go through with this idea. Most of the time, I take a while to make a cs- I try my hardest to make it flashy and I am often unsure of its turn-out despite the idea. (This example is the" Amazing character idea" part.)
Often times, It goes one of 3 ways...
Either 1) I completely forget what the rp was based off of (Or the gm wasn't specific with the type of rp they wanted...I often have Ideas that stretch the rules slightly.) and It gets rejected. No big deal. I try again, and often I get rejected again for something else regarding the same rule. My mistake, no big deal. But I often state that "This concept is gonna be changed to fit the rules if the Gm needs.) Aka "If this is wrong tell me."
I have often had characters rejected outright for a slight miscalculation in the concept- (Something easily changeable)- and the entire thing is scrapped. They often tell me little to nothing about what is wrong, so I have to dig for answers and Redo a project for another 3 - 5 days.

1.5) And even if my character is accepted (often the 2nd or 3rd try) I am often way too far back on something- (The story , the interaction, ect.)- and I am hopelessly lost. Often times, many of the other rp'ers have gotten into little groups of interactions - A bubble, if you will- and I have to pray that they either interact with my character or I have to semi- shimmy my way into a group (which is a 50% chance of failing miserably.)
Although the long cs creation time is my fault , and I certainly can't control others, but I should at least expect some interaction. I used to think it was y characters, but I often read through the other cs's and tailor my character to adapt and fill the blanks of interaction. I tailor it for interaction - often times I make it an active thing so that I'm not the one waiting for trouble- and I attempt to make conflicts with other characters, or teamwork with others. Buuut I soon found that while it does help with it...they actually need to start interacting with you to work. Brushing the character off like the dead carcass of the pesky fly that has been gnawing on your shoulder isn't going to be great for conflict. I soon gave up on the whole conflict thing, It seemed too much work for such lack-luster experience. I have had to make characters that have self driven goals- which often gets the character rejected for " trying to derail the story" (which is something that I would never try to do but I still commend the gms who do reject it for that for being on the lookout for those who would derail it.)

2) The cs is accepted but nobody posts, leading to an immediate death of the rp and a saddened disposal of the character.
I may try to bring it back to another rp with a twist ("Yo, can I copy your homework" sort of thing")
(I'm not that creative..."Then why am I on this site?" I may never know...)
But I will quickly find that it feels cheap and lazy to do that... But I cannot really find a way to put it to use. Often those characters are rejected and I have to come up with another character to match the creativity of the last one...which ends in (Go to part 1)

3) Lazy interaction.
Often times, it is difficult to find one rp that has been going on for a short amount of time, yet will continue on. Often, these rps die quickly, which leads to this issue of a lack-luster experience. Yet, I have found rps that have been going on for a while, with the intent on going on for longer.
Let me just say, It shines like a diamond in the rough...yet is about as hollow as an empty barrel (or my skull...)
Often times, rp'ers would have already found their groups and would form bubbles. You would have a 50% chance (or lower) of joining them. Often times in these rps, I feel ignored and set to the side as the main group takes center stage. Its the same feeling as playing as "Table" or "Chair" in a play about Romeo and Juliet, Despite feeling that you could play the same game as them...
Don't get me wrong, I don't want a main protagonist or antagonist role. I would be happy as a side character or hell, even a low minion that could somehow be as influential as the rest of the group...
But get ready to be about as forgettable and as impacting as the first npc bandit of Mount and Blade Warband...
aka Literally only there to interact with once and thrown away.

In essence, It is simply a gamble to find an rp that is worth while. Even if you do, you're not out of the woods yet, as you have one more trial to pass... One must pray for the Gm, the grouping, and for an active base with plentiful chances to interact without butting your head between their shoulders.

Welp, now I have the idea of a Romeo and Juliet play...with furniture stuck in my head.

The Mont-tables and the Couch-ulet houses.
heh.
Anyways, That was muh little rant. It may be false and full of holes, but It was nice to get it off my chest.
Eh, heck. It was worth it. But now that my time is up, I can't edit it. Tell me if something is wrong. :D
I am a horrible person.

Last edited:
I'm probably really late on this but on past sites I only completed a full plot once, remembering back then it was my first RP ever about a group of spies sorta paralleling action movies, it was really thrilling and to this day for me no other RP I did could top it .

I finished a roleplay where my character was a living weapon. She was being used in a redeeming story line for the villian. He eventually ended up killing her and instantly regretting it.

My character died for his redemption <3

I have a ton of roleplays I've done with this one person over the years. Most of them stem from this one show that we both like. We spun an AU for it and it's still going on, after about two years of existing. True, it's on haitus, but we have planned events for it and a planned ending. I don't really count it as a "finished" roleplay because the AU as an entirety isn't done, but scenarios within the AU have had closed and finished threads. Other than that, I haven't really finished anything in its entirety; they usually fizzle out eventually which makes me sad. ;-;

I have, but mainly because I was the GM, realized the RP was on a high point, and decided it was time to start the apocalyptic shenanigans that ended the series on a strangely satisfying ending. Love interests were permanently torn asunder, most characters died, the ones that survived set the stage for a less-than-promising sequel that they wanted but I was never on board with anyways.

So yes, I have. But it involved me starting the Third World War out of left field. It was a military themed RP, but still outta left field.

I finished one the same way a sad anime would.
In the middle of a shitstorm, causing a major cliffhanger.

I will never know how our star-crossed lovers got past the fact that one was totally gonna have to kill the other.

It started so calmly, and then just devolved in wonderful, exciting nonsense.

So I just want to know if anyone has actuall finished an RP before, as in completely wrapped up the plot/finished the first part before a sequel. I've never actually seen one before.
Actually, I haven't. Most of my Roleplays are as a day to day life sort of thing, so we either get bored of it and quit or it just keeps going. Now, I do a have a Roleplay that has a set plot to how it will end, but I think that's the only way you can have a smoothly ending roleplay. I think.

I did.

I used to rent a room in our local tabletop club back in the day. It was far from cheap, and so campaigns had to be either planned or non-existent. Otherwise, you waste quite a sum.

Lack of popular "panzer" approach to head a campaign meant everybody had something to do at all times.

I have finished several role-plays across various websites throughout the years.

It is possible to finish a role-play, but it takes a very special set of circumstances to actually get there:

* A well developed RP idea (and no, just creating a world and a character is NOT "well developed")
* Role-players who join and genuinely like the idea and you and who actually stick with it no matter how slow the posting gets
* Consistency of tone, story, and character growth to keep interest strong and to keep your role-players comfortable

If you meet these three requirements (the second one being the hardest by far) then your RP is set up to reach a successful conclusion.

i'm too new here to have finished one here yet, but i have finished rps before! several actually. you just have to have a distinct plot to follow and use it to push the story.

I completed one WAY long ago when RP on Xanga was a thing. It got so good that my partner, at the time, found a song that pretty much summed up how we wanted it to end :) glad to say it was a good/ sad time.

Also, does D&D count? cause me and my friends have completed plenty of those XD

Is there a formula to guarantee relative success of a roleplay?
And "success" here is defined as a fun, lively story with characters interacting well and contributing to the story plot in a meaningful way, and eventually (hopefully) with a conclusive ending.

Is there a formula to guarantee relative success of a roleplay?
And "success" here is defined as a fun, lively story with characters interacting well and contributing to the story plot in a meaningful way, and eventually (hopefully) with a conclusive ending.
Actually (sorry) a lot of people have already posted necessary 'ingredients.' More to the point and specifically: what constitutes a good plot or "well-developed rp idea"? Is there a set of questions/guideline that can help me get to that point, or is it a series of trial and error...?

Dungeons and dragons counts as RP because you RP as a character, meets all the requirements for an RP... Don't tell me I'm wrong... So yes... I'm going to guess I've completed... Mmmm... 30 or so?

I have, it was one of the most exhilarating feelings of my life, but left me feeling hopelessly lost at the end!

I have written characters off, either happily ever after or miserably doomed and a sad but sweet parting. This tends to happen as a result of collaboration with my partners. Or a DnD group, for example. I'm one of those dreaded people who enjoy relationship RP rooted in a good plot. I don't dislike ANY roleplay, or hate on other people's, but I notice a lot of people dislike romance. *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back