• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Hakamy's OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here

Idea

The Pun Tyrant
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Rules
->Posts are to be long and descriptive. 15 full PC lines minimum, but you can take all the time you need so long as you at least continue to have an active presence in the OOC.
->All faceclaim types are permitted except photos.
->All players are asked to contribute both in terms of posts and in terms of ideas and pushing the plot forward. The main thing is just having innitiative.´

ShadowHounder ShadowHounder Gravitational Force Gravitational Force this shall be our OOC from now on!

In that case I would like Black-white-green if it's available.
Yep, it's still available, and with that we finish the selection.

So should I just create a character? I noticed that the current ones out only have two colors. What else do I need to know?
Now we begin the discussion part. We can talk about your faction, your walker, or the general mechanics of the set. Once we're done discussing all of that, you can make the character. Which would you like to start with first?

Join us on the discord (link should be somewhere in the post)
They said they would prefer to talk in a thread OOC that's why I made it.

Now we begin the discussion part. We can talk about your faction, your walker, or the general mechanics of the set. Once we're done discussing all of that, you can make the character. Which would you like to start with first?
I was thinking my faction would be based on resource acquisition, retention, and denying resources to others. They'd basically be the Orzhov if they owned the Golgari. The faction would be ruled by a Council (mainly made up of Undead) of those with Black AND White Mana in their colors (since they'd be the most likely to have the abilities relating to ruling and be selfish enough to seek power at the expense of others) while those with White Mana but no Black would be involved in the lower parts of the organization (and usually magic users) with those with Black Mana but no White being Demons, thugs, Zombies, etc. and those with Green but neither Black nor White mana being druids, slaves, or animals. Black and Green Mana aligned creatures would mainly be Undead, either unintelligent Zombies used for various purposes or magic users who focus on the the growth potential of rot, etc.

I was thinking my faction would be based on resource acquisition, retention, and denying resources to others. They'd basically be the Orzhov if they owned the Golgari. The faction would be ruled by a Council (mainly made up of Undead) of those with Black AND White Mana in their colors (since they'd be the most likely to have the abilities relating to ruling and be selfish enough to seek power at the expense of others) while those with White Mana but no Black would be involved in the lower parts of the organization (and usually magic users) with those with Black Mana but no White being Demons, thugs, Zombies, etc. and those with Green but neither Black nor White mana being druids, slaves, or animals. Black and Green Mana aligned creatures would mainly be Undead, either unintelligent Zombies used for various purposes or magic users who focus on the the growth potential of rot, etc.
I see. So essentially an undead horde, commanded by a council looking to exploit the most exploitable, which of course are the undead and the naive. Has a little overlap with my faction, which is a cult, but I guess it works.

So, the key questions about the factions (and feel free to ask me if you don't understand their pertinence, as it was because of it that I wanted to talk before the brainstorming): What is the faction's goal with entering the ancient city and what means do they use to try to get in?

Has a little overlap with my faction, which is a cult
Mine is more like a corporation. The kind where they just keep expanding until they own everything while finding more and more ways to squeeze every bit of profit from their assets no matter how much everyone else suffers. They'd go into a forest, clearcut it and hunt down the animals, strip it of any other usable living materials, stripmine it, then use Green Mana to revitalize it and do it all over again. They've realized that even if they can't have infinite growth on a finite plane they can get close to it.

The council is varying levels of orderly, but they all are out for themselves and the only thing keeping them from wiping each other out as competition is a combination of how each member can't control everything and that their Planeswalker leader is more powerful than all of them. Think The Wolf of Wallstreet meets Game of Thrones.

Their faction mechanic would most likely revolve around how many non-Land permanents the player controlling them has.

What is the faction's goal with entering the ancient city and what means do they use to try to get in?
Stripping it of everything of value, then rebuilding it into yet another of their outposts. Depending on which individual council member is involved the methods vary. The Green-aligned favor using pure power to ensure compliance, Black and White aligned ones prefer either allying and then betraying others, sacrificing disposable underlings, or going in themselves to avoid having to share with anyone.

Mine is more like a corporation. The kind where they just keep expanding until they own everything while finding more and more ways to squeeze every bit of profit from their assets no matter how much everyone else suffers. They'd go into a forest, clearcut it and hunt down the animals, strip it of any other usable living materials, stripmine it, then use Green Mana to revitalize it and do it all over again. They've realized that even if they can't have infinite growth on a finite plane they can get close to it.

The council is varying levels of orderly, but they all are out for themselves and the only thing keeping them from wiping each other out as competition is a combination of how each member can't control everything and that their Planeswalker leader is more powerful than all of them. Think The Wolf of Wallstreet meets Game of Thrones.
Their planeswalker leader? Hmmm...that's a little different from the original plan of having the characters be outsiders, but having your character be a native to the plane might work. it would have you start in the IC a little later though, or at least you wouldn't start in the same place as the rest of us.

Their faction mechanic would most likely revolve around how many non-Land permanents the player controlling them has.
Nope, that won't do. This is something pertaining to the overall themes and mechanics of the set, as it is about the number of spells cast in a given turn. Different factions have different mechanical ways to exploit this, ShadowHounder ShadowHounder 's cares about casting spells every turn, mine cares about the number of cards in your hand (which thus can translate into playing a lot of them at once), the white-red-blue faction uses one of the sets two new mechanics "Unity".

The set's mechanics are two new mechanics and two returning ones:
-Unity: Spell counts as having been cast X times if it resolves
-Occupy: If this was the first spell cast this turn, then efect

-Traps: Originally from zendikar, these are sorceries and instants that get a discount if your opponent triggers their condition. Shadow's faction is the main one taking this.
-Flash: This set will have a much bigger density of flash than usual.

Mechanically speaking, either you or moodyStrategy moodyStrategy will get "occupy" as your faction's main mechanic. But you can have something else, just as long as it works with the overall set theme.

Stripping it of everything of value, then rebuilding it into yet another of their outposts. Depending on which individual council member is involved the methods vary. The Green-aligned favor using pure power to ensure compliance, Black and White aligned ones prefer either allying and then betraying others, sacrificing disposable underlings, or going in themselves to avoid having to share with anyone.

I can see that working against people, but getting into the fortress isn't a matter of dealing with people, it's more like a temple, the ruins of an ancient city completely locking away any entry from the outside. So trying to exploit people on it's own wouldn't really make it into the city.

Their planeswalker leader? Hmmm...that's a little different from the original plan of having the characters be outsiders, but having your character be a native to the plane might work. it would have you start in the IC a little later though, or at least you wouldn't start in the same place as the rest of us.
No, he came in from off plane and created the faction by uniting three smaller factions under his control. In this case he's just using them to consolidate the plane's resources so he can use it as a base for his planes of multiversal control. If he were to leave and enough stress were apply the faction would tear itself apart through the council infighting and end up smaller and weaker.

Mechanically speaking, either you or @GetDunkDawn will get "occupy" as your faction's main mechanic. But you can have something else, just as long as it works with the overall set theme.
Occupy wouldn't fit with the theme, since my faction cares less about who came first than who is left standing. Maybe a mechanic based around either not casting spells or around paying mana after the card has been on the field to show their tendency to rely on resources they already have?

I can see that working against people, but getting into the fortress isn't a matter of dealing with people, it's more like a temple, the ruins of an ancient city completely locking away any entry from the outside. So trying to exploit people on it's own wouldn't really make it into the city.
They lack the creativity and drive of Green and Blue, so they rely on either spending resources until a problem is solved or taking solutions from other people. Either that or brute forcing it. They wouldn't be adverse to hiring or otherwise squiring the services of people to provide the creativity and drive though.

No, he came in from off plane and created the faction by uniting three smaller factions under his control. In this case he's just using them to consolidate the plane's resources so he can use it as a base for his planes of multiversal control. If he were to leave and enough stress were apply the faction would tear itself apart through the council infighting and end up smaller and weaker.
Still, that would still mean your guy wasn't at the battle of Ravnica, wouldn't it? Since they have to be present leading the faction.

Occupy wouldn't fit with the theme, since my faction cares less about who came first than who is left standing. Maybe a mechanic based around either not casting spells or around paying mana after the card has been on the field to show their tendency to rely on resources they already have?
As I said, the mechanics are already defined, we're not adding new ones. To keep with your idea of "relying on the resources they already have", maybe your faction could dabble in heavy recursion, bringing back cards from the graveyard so that they can be cast again?

They lack the creativity and drive of Green and Blue, so they rely on either spending resources until a problem is solved or taking solutions from other people. Either that or brute forcing it. They wouldn't be adverse to hiring or otherwise squiring the services of people to provide the creativity and drive though.
Ah, so basically hiring mercenaries or contracting people to do their dirty work for them?

Still, that would still mean your guy wasn't at the battle of Ravnica, wouldn't it? Since they have to be present leading the faction.
He was at the battle of Ravnica, the faction just needs the threat of him coming back to keep it going.

To keep with your idea of "relying on the resources they already have", maybe your faction could dabble in heavy recursion, bringing back cards from the graveyard so that they can be cast again?
Definitely.

Ah, so basically hiring mercenaries or contracting people to do their dirty work for them?
Or waiting for someone else to do it and taking it from them. Or reanimating those who knew how. Or summoning their spirits. They're not original, but they're very good at refining old ideas.

He was at the battle of Ravnica, the faction just needs the threat of him coming back to keep it going.

Definitely.

Or waiting for someone else to do it and taking it from them. Or reanimating those who knew how. Or summoning their spirits. They're not original, but they're very good at refining old ideas.
Alright, I think I'm starting to get the picture. So, I need to go to sleep and have a project to finish yet, so in the meantime, here's a few things I would like you to come up with:
->Name for the faction

Regarding the leader (referring to the council beneath the planeswalker, or maybe a second in command that is still above the council):
->What magic does each member wield?
->Need a name for the council or second in command and an image
->what are they like?

Regarding the planeswalker
->what is their personality like
->what kind of magic do they wield
->name and picture

Meanwhile, here's the first card for your faction, part of a cycle of three-color lands:
Crypt Treasury.jpg

So far I have this:

->Name for the faction
The Gilded Cabal
Their symbol is a gold coin with a doubled-headed ouroboros on it.

->What magic does each member wield?
There are 5 members of the council, with Gierlok taking the 5th spot.

Kellid Dawl, Master of the Rag and Bone Men. He's Green and Black-aligned Druid Necromancer specializing in recycling dead things. He's in charge of the Cabal's efforts at revitalization to better exploit natural resources and unnaturally create Undead, plagues, etc. The bandages on his body are specially treated to preserve his Undead flesh and keep him from rotting. If Gierlok ever went missing Kellid would immediately split off with his minions to try to take over. He's powerful but prone to overconfidence and his need to prove himself result in him showing off.

Solin Vind, High Overseer. He is in charge of ensuring that day to day activities run smoothly and that any treachery or incompetence is dealt with swiftly and permanently. He is a White and Black Aligned Wizard Lawmage who uses rune-inscribed paper as part of his spellcasting. He's best placed to run the Cabal if Gierlok were to be indisposed, but lacks the power to keep that position. He's used to a life of hedonism and luxury and knows his current lifestyle is dependent on Gierlok's continued presence.

Daphlin Gran, Master of Intangibles. She's a Black and White Aligned Cleric Hieromancer and in charge of keeping the Cabal's finances in order, distributing resources, and controlling the souls collected through contracts or force. Her robes are made of solid gold that's been magically treated to be as light as silk. She's a sadist with a severe phobia of germs, so her servants are lashed at the slightest trace of uncleanness.

Lacne Shwe, Master of Crafting. She's a Wizard fleshcrafter and artificer in charge of producing the Cabal's more refined Undead, magic items, constructs, and reshaping any plundered valuables into more compact forms. Beneath her mask her face is deformed from a laboratory accident involving molten gold. She has no interest in the politics of the Cabal as long as she can continue her work. She has an obsession with gems bordering on a fetish and could easily be bribed with unique specimens.

->Need a name for the council or second in command and an image
The Council of Oligarchs. A member only can get a seat by replacing one of the members by demonstrating that they're better fitted to the position to Gierlok. This can occur whether or not that Council member is still alive/otherwise around, which results in Councilors focusing on keeping their own positions rather than fighting with each other. Most of the time.

->name and picture
Gierlok Aphetto

Attachments

• 1556838450571.png
    1556838450571.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 1556841254325.png
    1556841254325.png
    828.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1556841270323.png
    1556841270323.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 4