• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Grunge - OOC Thread

honestly, can't wait for the rp to begin. it's been a while since i took part in any casual settings.

honestly, can't wait for the rp to begin. it's been a while since i took part in any casual settings.
The casual nature of this initial run of the game is mainly for world-testing. Seeing what works lorewise and what doesn't.

My ultimate goal is to try and refine the idea enough to do a spinoff setting like the original plan for Delux, or Lipstick Academy, where the focus is on the interaction between different varieties of powered humans.

My character idea is a shonen hero in their mid to late 20s. He's a reincarnation of the thunder god Vronti who fell in battle to the serpentine giantess Fidia millennia ago. He spent his childhood and teen years fighting Fidia's reincarnation and other monsters threatening earth. But it turns out leaving class to fight cyclopes is hell on your GPA as a student so he was held back and had to get a GED. He met Fidia in her civilian form while studying (she was held back academically too), and they hit it off. They ended up dating for a few years before getting married. Today they live in a spacious apartment with their infant daughter. His wife works at a tattoo parlor while he does odd jobs around jungula. Kaijuu extermination, helping clean up after super battles etc. He plays drums in a band and occasionally visits the in-laws with his wife and kid.

I shall endeavor to maje up all kinds of crazy situations that sound unbelievable to talk about casually

Lord Moldoma Lord Moldoma just to be clear,this isn't exactly a crime-free world now is it?

In the sense that you can still have your purse snatched or your store robbed,white collar criminals are embezzling funds and doing insider trading,gangs are still manufacturing and smuggling drugs.

It's just that having powers doesn't give you much of an advantage in staying ahead.

What would be funnier, a scary owner with a cute cafe or a cute cafe with a cute owner in a terrifying spot?

Lord Moldoma Lord Moldoma just to be clear,this isn't exactly a crime-free world now is it?

In the sense that you can still have your purse snatched or your store robbed,white collar criminals are embezzling funds and doing insider trading,gangs are still manufacturing and smuggling drugs.

It's just that having powers doesn't give you much of an advantage in staying ahead.
That's correct, yes. But I should mention that even with street-level crimes being as common as it is in our world, super-heroics isn't really a big part of society. The closest thing we have other than the occasional oddball vigilante are the Catastrophe Response teams, which are government regulated, and often only get called in whenever someone who does have strong enough powers turns to crime and gets caught.

There's a whole thing about "Megalomania Syndrome" where untrained or weak willed people who gain incredible power, either through bio enhancement, psychic awakening, mutant bestowal, or cybernetic body modification, will develop a violent psychosis due to their body being unable to adjust. The body needs work in order to handle more power as does the mind, so it's not . Even. Those are the people that the Catastrophe Response Teams usually deal with.

Most people's powers aren't actually super impressive. The specific power division across the population Statistic is Unpowered Humans 40%, Powered Humans 28%, Humanoids 20%, Mutants 6%, and Cyborgs 6%. This is of course not taking into consideration Non-Humanoids, Extraterrestrials, kaiju, androids, or animals that possess powers.

At least Among powered humans 60% could be considered superhuman ranging from at least Wall to Large Building Level, 40% of that 60% range, range beyond from City-Block to Mountain level, and 20% of that 40% range, range Island level or higher.

Wall-to-large-building level and even sometimes city-block to town level aren't actually that hard for the police to deal with, due to the advanced technology that can be employed by militarized forces. And those terms are mainly accurate in comparison to our world for convenience. Many modern architectural and engineering resources are different in the world of Grunge, since much of the supernatural isn't inexplicable, and certain physical laws are slightly muddier or different compared to the real world (Cough Cough, Relativistic to FTL feats for higher end characters.)

It's mainly when somebody with island-level-or-higher abilities goes megalo that Catastrophe Response Teams get called in.

So, to answer your question. It's not crime free, but anyone who goes batshit "I'm gonna destroy the continent" is going to be kept in check by people who'd really prefer you not ruin their lunch that day, or who are specifically hired to keep people like you off the streets and in jail (or dead)

In the case of Extraterrestrials, there's actually a whole other Global Agency For Extraterrestrial affairs that handles stuff like immigration. Nobody willingly goes to earth though because of how scary literally everything that lives there is. Most species are soft and squishy, or lack the abilities to gain power the same way that creatures from earth can. And even in the case of the aliens who can match humans in some regards, it'd be a pyrrhic victory at best and that'd be a rare bird of a situation. There's a sort of Humans are Cthulhu thing going on. They've all agreed that the casualties would be too massive if they tried to gang up on us, and some species don't even think that'd be enough to kill off humanity. But again, it feeds back into the fact that extraterrestrials are common knowledge, and nobody really cares because they don't come after or bother us.

The reason why alien and UFO sightings are so rare is because generally they only happen if somebody runs out of fuel or resources and needs to make a pitstop, or is trying to hide from someone else by going somewhere dangerous, confident that they can survive.

On an earth full of crazy shit, Aliens aren't that impressive. If it's true that earth has always been supernatural like this, the aliens were probably terrified the first time they showed up, because there were burly, 12 foot tall hairless apes who screamed unintelligibly and threw spears with enough force to pierce literal space-age armor.

Sorry if I went off on a tangeant. I have a lot of lore prepared for this. It was gonna be a real PPRPG at one point.

Basically, the TL; DR is that it's not a world free of crime, but because of how things balance out, having powers doesn't make you any more likely to succeed in crime, because if your powers were strong enough, you'd attract the attention of someone who does care.

So it's kind of a cyberpsychos vs. Max-tac thing,got it.

Except our characters will be fairly removed from that....probably.

So it's kind of a cyberpsychos vs. Max-tac thing,got it.

Except our characters will be fairly removed from that....probably.
Yes, but it's mainly the anti-societal pressure of a bucket of crabs

Whenever the Catastrophe Response teams get involved, there's usually a good reason.

But, if you were someone strong enough, like an equivalent Yujiro Hanma, or Tornado of Terror Tatsumaki, you probably wouldn't be feared, you'd just be offerred a job working for the government.

Being on a catastrophe response team pays really well and has great perks.

This won't be what we're focusing on. I want to start off small to make sure the world works outside of its own bubble of wacky events. That's the problem that I felt like Delux and Lipstick Academy both had when I originally wrote their drafts. I felt like the world didn't work completely, and I need to iron out those kinks by seeing what a more casual life would be like.

lol here i am planning next to no powers just a station attendant that dosen't sleep and dosen't give a shit in a station that never seems to go out of buisness

lol here i am planning next to no powers just a station attendant that dosen't sleep and dosen't give a shit in a station that never seems to go out of buisness
Which is completely fine! I feel like if we can't have a basis for characters who aren't in the massive power struggle that society generally just considers par for the course, then we can't have a functioning, living world.

Which is completely fine! I feel like if we can't have a basis for characters who aren't in the massive power struggle that society generally just considers par for the course, then we can't have a functioning, living world.
Yep we all need tgat shityy gas station at the edge of town where weird things happen

It depends on what you mean by that.

Spiritual forces don’t really exist in this world.
I was gonna make the reincarnation of an ancient god that ended up marrying his ancient rival in this life. But since spiritual stuff isn’t a thing I’ll have a Kamen Rider marry his long time nemesis.

oh, they don't? my necromancer wouldn't really work, then.
Necromantic powers could exist without spiritual connotations.
I was gonna make the reincarnation of an ancient god that ended up marrying his ancient rival in this life. But since spiritual stuff isn’t a thing I’ll have a Kamen Rider marry his long time nemesis.
I guess that sort of thing would fit! Though you'd have to do a sort of Captain Ersatz thing with any references to the Kamen Rider IP.

Necromantic powers could exist without spiritual connotations.

I guess that sort of thing would fit! Though you'd have to do a sort of Captain Ersatz thing with any references to the Kamen Rider IP.
I know. I’ll call them something else. Any limits on the history we can add to the world with our characters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back