Advice/Help group rps. halp

weldherwings

◉-◉
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
so, in a nutshell -- i've never been in a group rp before. okay, that's a lie -- i was in one about ten years ago but that was on a different site and it died in like a week and i only got to post twice. SO, i've never really been in one before.

anyhoo, i'm super curious about them but have no idea how to get my head around them! i've tried looking at some of the group rps that are happening now and the search threads too but i still have no idea how to wrap my head around them! can someone write a 'how to' dummy book for group rps? so uh, anyone want to give me a rundown on the basics of a group rp for my old little brain? my rp interests are soley in realistic/modern storylines.

They are roleplays that involve a group of people. Each one has it's own requirements and rules. So it's best to read the rules before going forward.

If you think you can meet the rules/requirements you will then submit a character. Sometimes there is a pre-set form to fill out provided by the roleplay creator. If there isn't a pre-set form simply message the creator and ask them what information they want you to submit for characters.

Beyond that there isn't really any universal rules to groups as they're each pretty much tailored to the creator's tastes.

Sadly I'm on mobile so I'll be back to help you explain in about 2 to 3 hours from now on once I'm off of work.

Anywho, never be afraid of trying something new!

They are roleplays that involve a group of people. Each one has it's own requirements and rules. So it's best to read the rules before going forward.

If you think you can meet the rules/requirements you will then submit a character. Sometimes there is a pre-set form to fill out provided by the roleplay creator. If there isn't a pre-set form simply message the creator and ask them what information they want you to submit for characters.

Beyond that there isn't really any universal rules to groups as they're each pretty much tailored to the creator's tastes.
Sadly I'm on mobile so I'll be back to help you explain in about 2 to 3 hours from now on once I'm off of work.

Anywho, never be afraid of trying something new!

I think my personal biggest fear is being left behind because of my timezone. I'm in Australia where most people around here seem to be in Europe + America. My fear is that over the night, people will continue on the rp and my character will be left on their lonesome if there is no post structure (so like, you post, then me, then them, then you, them me etc type of structure). I have lots of ideas of group rps that i'd like to do, but its just the formatting and trying to meet expectations that freak me out D:

I think my personal biggest fear is being left behind because of my timezone. I'm in Australia where most people around here seem to be in Europe + America. My fear is that over the night, people will continue on the rp and my character will be left on their lonesome if there is no post structure (so like, you post, then me, then them, then you, them me etc type of structure). I have lots of ideas of group rps that i'd like to do, but its just the formatting and trying to meet expectations that freak me out D:

Well not all groups move quickly and some do indeed have specific post requirements. The two I've seen most commonly used are
- Everyone is broken into teams based on hours of availability. Each team has a specific amount of time to post responses for the roleplay.
- You must wait at least a full day to allow your partner to reply to your post. So you can't just immediately respond, you have to give everyone a chance to post.

Now if you are wanting to make a group yourself I would say that the thing to understand is that it is a BIG time commitment. Not only do you have to be available to post but you also have to have time to set up the roleplay, accept players, answer questions, and monitor things to make sure fights don't break out.

If you aren't familiar with the format I would most definately not try making your own group until you've participated in other people's groups a few times to get a feel for things.

Well not all groups move quickly and some do indeed have specific post requirements. The two I've seen most commonly used are
- Everyone is broken into teams based on hours of availability. Each team has a specific amount of time to post responses for the roleplay.
- You must wait at least a full day to allow your partner to reply to your post. So you can't just immediately respond, you have to give everyone a chance to post.

Now if you are wanting to make a group yourself I would say that the thing to understand is that it is a BIG time commitment. Not only do you have to be available to post but you also have to have time to set up the roleplay, accept players, answer questions, and monitor things to make sure fights don't break out.

If you aren't familiar with the format I would most definately not try making your own group until you've participated in other people's groups a few times to get a feel for things.

okay, that doesn't sound as scary anymore haha i've watched some group rps where it'd literally be two or three people out of ten and they're just rapid fire replying which is probably what freaked me out a bit to be honest

ohhhhhh boyyyyyyy it sounds like a beautiful cycle haha i've been eyeing off some of the open group rps and interest checks, but none of the plots/settings have really caught my eye or interest T^T

Alright. Sorry for the late post. No worries about being fearful that you'll be isolated. What's usually important is how interactive your fellow roleplayers are with you. To give an example, there will always be things that you can interact it when seeing two other people (e.g. person A starts a fight with person B. Person C can explain about her reactions to this problem. Will she jump in and help or will she do something else?)

Some people are more responsive and active than others (and personally as someone who is busy with life, that's okay).
Discord : Group discords are often used to communicate with others. From my experience in group roleplays, we usually set up our relationship with the other characters.
Example:
BoyA (Roleplayer fellow #1) & BoyB (roleplayer fellow#2)
BoyA is a prankster and loves pranking people. Often in discord (on my watch), they will be able to talk with other fellow roleplayers about how they feel about their character and their often future relationship with each other. Maybe BoyB is a total douche and hates the gut out of BoyA because of his personality, but grows warm as he gets close to them and so on. This sets up an idea for both you and your character with your insight with other people and their character.

When doing a group roleplay, it isn't the matter of who posts first and responds to that person I've had like three person react to my character because their friend's food fell on my character before and all hell broke loose from that lmao, but it's the fun in the reactions of everyone and how different everyone intakes one single action sometimes. If you feel isolated, join in the fun! Maybe your character is curious of an interaction of two people, or they are pulled in and invovled in it somehow.

On a personal account, I do try to move time or move on from the rapid posts by skipping time. This gives everyone an opportunity to reset sometimes instead of being stuck in one single place. It all just matters in the roleplayers and their fellows :>

Dunno if this has already been said but most group RPs I've been in had a turn order that was pretty much just established by when people decided to submit their first post; you'd post once and wait for everyone else to post once before you could send another. Sometimes it breaks off depending on how the characters or situations split up.

This can be different for other RPs as it's entirely dependent on the host's preference.

so, in a nutshell -- i've never been in a group rp before. okay, that's a lie -- i was in one about ten years ago but that was on a different site and it died in like a week and i only got to post twice. SO, i've never really been in one before.

anyhoo, i'm super curious about them but have no idea how to get my head around them! i've tried looking at some of the group rps that are happening now and the search threads too but i still have no idea how to wrap my head around them! can someone write a 'how to' dummy book for group rps? so uh, anyone want to give me a rundown on the basics of a group rp for my old little brain? my rp interests are soley in realistic/modern storylines.
The quality of a group roleplay is always going to be up to the ST/GM and their ability to lead it and restrict players when necessary. Other than that, I would suggest you look at a successful group game, maybe one of the hosted projects for example, and look at how people are structuring their posts. I guess that players who enforce their will or control other people's characters could ruin it as well. But that goes for 1x1 RP as well, I think. And again, it is then up to the GM to reign that in.

Also, I would advise you to not make your text smaller because it makes it harder to read, especially for people with poor eye-sight. And I know they can zoom in their browser, but it gets really annoying to zoom in and out all the time in an RP.

So, in conclusion, I would say that people can give you good advice, but the best way to wrap your head around group games is to read a successful group game. I know that's work but it's nevertheless the best way.

Just yesterday I posted on a thread that was pretty much the opposite of this, someone trying to move from group roleplay into 1x1. I noticed in trying to answer this thread that the question is easier to answer for that one, because so much of it boils down to "what you decide", as in 1x1 you have such a degree of control over exactly what experience you want to craft with your partner. In group RPs, on the other hand, the general decisions of others carry a lot more impact, especially when that other is the GM, who is given a major degree of control over the RP.

I'd like to then tackle some of the implications of that here, focusing mostly on the key different from 1x1 to group. Of course, with such a broad subject there's a lot of variation, all kinds of different ways of doing things and different subjects to tackle. However, I find may be general enough, and pertinent enough, to be worth bringing up:

1.Group RPs center on the RP more than Specific Players:
A 1x1 RP is fundamentally a partnership, a group RP is fundamentally a project. A partnership is something that happens between two people- a project is a separate entity from the people that make it. If one partner quits in a group RP, the RP dies with that. If someone quits in a group RP that isn't necessarily the case. Even GMs, who are arguably the most important member of the roleplay, can at times be replaced. I and people I know have picked up RPs from Gms that quit them, and I've been requested to become a co-GM in an RP where I was just a player several times to do character reviewing.

Other than being more flexible in what players can actually be kept, this results in a less personal relationship for the same given amount of time. Players in groups are generally speaking more focused on themselves and their own contributions, and their own participation in the plot, without there being inherently anything that draws them to your character.

2.GMs Have the Control:
In 1x1 RPs, both partners typically have a say in the story to a similar if not equal degree. They make their characters, yes, but surrounding story elements are also theirs to control and develop. Players are equally responsible for controlling NPCs, introducing conflict, and so on.

In groups, however, this is mostly delegated to the GM. Even that though is far from the only thing left in the hands of the GM: deciding the rules, character sheets, what characters are accepted into the RP or not, details of the setting, it's all left to the GM's decision. Your ability to decide things consists of deciding to stay or not in the RP, and whichever decisions the GM specifically decides to leave to the players. This isn't to say you can't bring your own story elements- but the GM's will generally take precedence and they can veto whatever you want to bring should they find it doesn't fit the RP.

3.You're Mostly Responsible for Your Own Character:
The other side of the coin of point number 2 is that this means you are relieved of the responsibility of creating those plot elements yourself, and as such you just have to make your own thing. You can focus on your own character, and leave the logistical and overall story aspect to the GM. However, this also does mean that your contributions to the RP are all present in your character, and that more than ever you have a responsibility to make that character works for the roleplay, if not for others, then for the sake of your own presence in the roleplay. You carry the full weight of your character getting or not getting interactions etc...

4.General Tips:

Lastly, I want to give some tips based on what was said above.

Don't try to GM Right Away: It may be tempting to try jump right into making your own group, but I really recommend against this. Try to first gain experience with a few group RPs from the player side of things, so that you gain some first-hand understanding of the needs of a player in a group RP, and some of the possible pitfalls and merits of given ways of GMing.

Proactive Characters are Better to Start With: One of the most common mistakes in group RPs is making characters that aren't apt for taking the innitiative. You cannot count on your character by themselves interesting other people, especially because you CAN count on many making this mistake. At least until you feel you've got a hang of the new style, try going for characters that are energetic and social, more prone to be curious, to be pushy or loud and meddle into people's affairs. The kind of character who actually walks up to strangers to talk to them in a regular basis.
This will not only pretty much assure you have interactions, it will also help mark your presence in the roleplay. Furthermore it can make you a beacon for those who are using characters that don't innitiate interaction as much, and thus make you and overall more likeable player to them, since you are someone who shows they are contributing and who can help them out.

Take Interest In Other's Work: People love when others take genuine interest in their characters, work and ideas. They love talking about it too. If you want to make a really positive impact with your fellow players, start interacting with their characters, helping them explore the themes and ideas in those characters, OOC talk to them and ask questions, etc...

And that's about all I have to say. Broad subjects like this are a little hard for me, but I hope it helps. Best of luck and happy RPing!

Proactive Characters are Better to Start With: One of the most common mistakes in group RPs is making characters that aren't apt for taking the innitiative. You cannot count on your character by themselves interesting other people, especially because you CAN count on many making this mistake. At least until you feel you've got a hang of the new style, try going for characters that are energetic and social, more prone to be curious, to be pushy or loud and meddle into people's affairs. The kind of character who actually walks up to strangers to talk to them in a regular basis.
This will not only pretty much assure you have interactions, it will also help mark your presence in the roleplay. Furthermore it can make you a beacon for those who are using characters that don't innitiate interaction as much, and thus make you and overall more likeable player to them, since you are someone who shows they are contributing and who can help them out.
That's quite clever advice for new players. Never thought of that.
Take Interest In Other's Work: People love when others take genuine interest in their characters, work and ideas. They love talking about it too. If you want to make a really positive impact with your fellow players, start interacting with their characters, helping them explore the themes and ideas in those characters, OOC talk to them and ask questions, etc...
That's also a good one. And it goes with the larger point that building enthusiasm in a group RP is key and if you (whoever) have invested into a game and want it to work out it's an easy way to affect it positively from outside the realm of the GM. A good example is: after you read someones CS, find a detail, even if it didn't interest you particularly, and make a positive comment about it. Or ask something about the character. But of course refrain from criticism, perhaps even constructive (if it's not asked for), because it's really the job of the GM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back