Chitchat Got Any Rants?

Shibe

I got some good memes
Hey all, I’ve been feeling pretty crappy lately and been having to deal with mental health issues. It would be nice to help others blow off some steam. Feel free to rant about anything down below, whether it be about relationships, health issues, or education. Heck, even politics is welcome. Anything you like, honestly.​

I rant all the time in my own lil' blog like thread, but here we go.

Twitter RP community is fucking weird. Do not take the same FC someone has, do not play anything but romance, do not multiship, do not block anyone, do not end the RP, and don't you even DARE not to reply to an inquiry. If you cannot read the profile because of the ridiculous fo t someone uses: you're an asshole. If you don't post images, you're an asshole. If you post anything but the RP in your account, you're an asshole.

I've been following a few RP groups there, and it looks like a bunch of idiotic kids with that Napoleon thing, who cannot distinguish playing pretend and real life, ugh.

Twitter RP community is fucking weird. Do not take the same FC someone has, do not play anything but romance, do not multiship, do not block anyone, do not end the RP, and don't you even DARE not to reply to an inquiry. If you cannot read the profile because of the ridiculous fo t someone uses: you're an asshole. If you don't post images, you're an asshole. If you post anything but the RP in your account, you're an asshole.

I've been following a few RP groups there, and it looks like a bunch of idiotic kids with that Napoleon thing, who cannot distinguish playing pretend and real life, ugh.
I’m sorry about those experiences you had with Twitter roleplays. I’ve never actually roleplayed in that community, I’m kinda glad I don’t (because I’m not that great at it). All those rules and requirements make it difficult to find a enjoyable and not so stressful rp. It sounds like they have more of a control thing going on in that community.

I can't seem to find a good partner, and it's starting to really bug me. I feel like I'm in some of the pretty big fandoms, and I feel like finding one decent partner that meets all my standards is virtually impossible. I ask that my partner has a good OC. By that, I mean I want their OC to be consistent, both with the established lore and with how my partner has already set them up. I hate it when people introduce random lore to an already-existing show to make their OC make sense. If it makes sense within the show, maybe it works. But say, for example, you make an Uchiha character to exists during Naruto's teen years, that literally makes no sense. Also, on the topic of Uchiha OCs, making them an experiment of Orochimaru doesn't make it better. It actually makes it dumber. If Orochimaru had access to Sharingan and Uchiha DNA, he would've implanted them inside himself. He wouldn't make a brat he'd have to share the power with.

Also, too often do I get partners that describe their characters as geniuses or "prodigious", yet the person isn't that bright themselves, so they often have their character saying/doing really dumb shit. Also, archetypes are pretty lame. Playing with a guy guarantees that their character is going to excel at everything, be annoyingly cocky, and/or be dismissive. Playing with a girl guarantees that their character is either going to be super shy and/or submissive. I've been roleplaying for about 8-9 years now, and that's consistently been my experience the entire time.

Last thing (sorry this was so long lol), "literacy" is so rare to find within my fandoms, it's ridiculous. The way my partners write make me feel like a lot of my fandoms are composed of 12 year olds who don't pay attention in English class. Not to be xenophobic of course, but I tend to stray away from partners whose first language isn't English, just so I don't have to try to decipher what it is they're trying to say in their turns. That hardly seems to matter, though. A lot of the time, people in my fandoms type as if English is a language they only just heard of the day before, and I genuinely don't get it. Just read over your turn before you hit "enter."

Also, too often do I get partners that describe their characters as geniuses or "prodigious"
Funny, as most (not all, just most) of my characters are dumb as a plank.

That being said, I feel you. I've met a few people who looked very decent on this forum, only for them to ghost me after a post or two.

I tend to stray away from partners whose first language isn't English
Strangely enough, non-native speakers in my experience are more literate in English than native speakers. Which makes total sense if you think about it.

I definitely feel you there MageoftheDixPaths MageoftheDixPaths

A lot of common stereotypes are widely played throughout Rps, mostly the not so unique ones. But I feel that maybe some role players stick to them because they’re familiar stereotypes that are easily recognized and easy to play, instead of putting forth a lot of work to create a dynamic personality. I’ve noticed this happen though with a lot of younger roleplayers or those who don’t have much experience. In my experience, it is extremely difficult to find players that can produce complex and dynamic personalities in their characters.

Also, too often do I get partners that describe their characters as geniuses or "prodigious", yet the person isn't that bright themselves, so they often have their character saying/doing really dumb shit.
I feel like players who do this are just bluffing to make their character seem amazing and powerful, so that everyone else will be afraid of messing with their character- doesn't mean it's not annoying to see, though.

Legit personal experience I had in a fantasy RP, our "queen" who was supposed to be incredibly knowledgeable and full of wisdom, ordered us into a cave full of dangerous monsters with just the command to kill all monsters in there. Best friend's character suggested a cave-in to take the monsters out in one fell swoop and keep them from escaping. Queen was like "yeah, no, my idea is smarter, do what i say".

Best friend and I ended up doing it anyway.

Also, archetypes are pretty lame. Playing with a guy guarantees that their character is going to excel at everything, be annoyingly cocky, and/or be dismissive. Playing with a girl guarantees that their character is either going to be super shy and/or submissive. I've been roleplaying for about 8-9 years now, and that's consistently been my experience the entire time.

Oh, man. This is a serious problem not only in RP but in creating fan characters it seems. I'm so sick of sifting through story after story seeing all the same archetypes/stereotypes for the OCs within.

Guys are always some sort of dismissive and absolutely amazing at what they do and get the girls, both canon and fan character, swooning over them within literal seconds of seeing their oh so awesome skills and tragic backstories. Female fan characters on the other hand are either the purest creature in the land that the guys just have to protect her or the most random, most edgy and insane character on the planet so "don't mess with me!!1!1!one"

Like, what happened to actual personalities and natural character/relationship development in stories and RP?

Whenever I make a mecha RP, I would always, ALWAYS get at least one guy wanting to use a battle suit. Like, dude. I like Iron Man as much as the next guy but the world-building and aesthetic says "piloted robots". I'd have to rework an entire section of lore just to accommodate one guy. I used to find ways to justify the use of battle suits for those who want to take the route in the past but nowadays, I just flat-out reject the proposal. Which brings me to a next rant.

On the same vein, there's also guys that want to use like, Battletech or Warhammer 40K stuff in a setting clearly inspired by more stylized mecha like Gundam. Technically allowed since its mecha but I do explain that I'm not automatically giving them plus points for the realism. Basically, they cannot complain that it's not realistic when their slow, non-flying machine is blasted to pieces by a fast flying one with beam weapons.

If I wanted an RP with battle suits, power suits or odd walker-looking things, I would've tagged it appropriately and used the right images for visuals. But I didn't. I don't care if it's not realistic. We are fighting aliens with giant robots. The whole premise itself is no longer realistic.

Also, too often do I get partners that describe their characters as geniuses or "prodigious", yet the person isn't that bright themselves, so they often have their character saying/doing really dumb shit. Also, archetypes are pretty lame. Playing with a guy guarantees that their character is going to excel at everything, be annoyingly cocky, and/or be dismissive. Playing with a girl guarantees that their character is either going to be super shy and/or submissive. I've been roleplaying for about 8-9 years now, and that's consistently been my experience the entire time.

THIS! I have the same problems with characters like these sometimes. More specifically...

- People who come in with characters that are "master tacticians" or "masters at wielding different kinds of weapons" and their characters are like, sixteen and an orphan? I check their histories, see how they justify being able to do so and the reason often goes like: "X was an orphan. One day he sneaked into the library and read books on wielding weapons so now he has mastered using multiple weapons". That's just ridiculous! That's not how skills work! I "read" about volleyball during my PE in college. Got perfect scores on written tests even. But I still suck at actually playing the sport since I never practiced it. Theoretical knowledge does not immediately equate to physical skill and reflex.

- Using mental illnesses like insanity to justify their characters being able to do like, Shaolin acrobatics and kill legions of cops. To be fair, I blame creepypasta like Jeff the Killer.

Guys are always some sort of dismissive and absolutely amazing at what they do and get the girls, both canon and fan character, swooning over them within literal seconds of seeing their oh so awesome skills and tragic backstories.

I hate this. For me, it's like they're treating girl characters as just prizes to be won. In Fanfiction land, girls treated this way do not get much development beyond being the guy character's "girlfriend". Like, by that logic, it's like me going for the guy who got better grades than I did in my strongest subject. It's cheap and it doesn't make sense.

My least favourite thing rpwise is when you spend hours trying to make a character balanced so that your character being op doesn't invalidate half the cses. But then one guy comes in and drops a fucking Mary Sue that can do everything every one else can do but better. The worst part is when that retard gets accepted.

Okay so mine isn't roleplay related so I feel a little out of place BUT

I have a fertility problem. My husband and I have been trying for YEARS and it's just not happened yet, though it might never. I had a friend call me today bragging that she's pregnant with her second child. Mind you, it's not with her husband and her divorce isn't even finalized yet.

I LOVE being supportive of my friends when they're having kids, especially if they're close to me. But rubbing it in my face? When you know the tears I've cried over the topic?

On the flip side, people I'm close to that don't rub it in my face cut me off completely. People I used to talk to and confide in constantly just poof. Gone. Even though I do my absolute best to be there to emotionally support them, they just cut me off like I'm not important anymore because I'm not part of some kind of "mom community?"

/end rant

kill me

I’m so sorry you’re going through that, these friends sound like major butts. And don’t worry about feeling out of place because it’s a different topic, this is a open place to express your thoughts and feelings. Please remember though, you’re an amazing person and you deserve way better friends than that.

I’m so sorry you’re going through that, these friends sound like major butts. And don’t worry about feeling out of place because it’s a different topic, this is a open place to express your thoughts and feelings. Please remember though, you’re an amazing person and you deserve way better friends than that.

Okay but your kind words are enough to make me cry. Thank you so very much. ❤️

Bless you for this. I guess I could have made my own journal or something but this is better. Lately I've been noticing you can't really say anything without someone trying to break it apart for example if I were to say "Oh, yeah I really enjoyed those grapes. They're very good." someone is always lined up to give their opinion on why that is wrong and why their point of view is the correct way in ways that are condescending.

Retail, the food industry, it all sucks. What sucks even more are the self-absorbed, entitled, douchebag customers that feel it is my job to be pleasant to you when you come in with an attitude. They're not special, they don't get certain privileges, you're having a bad day? Oh, too bad, guess what everyone has a bad day. Get over yourself thinking you are the only one.

I don't have much to rant about today, but I wanted to stop in to say I hope you all start to feel better soon - and a reminder that even if today is a ranty day, tomorrow is new!

Well, my rant has nothing to do with RP but I wanted to contribute to this forum.
Imagine me in a drunk and sad tone of voice.

I have two things and I'll start with the smaller annoyance that could have something to do with RP:
Spin offs, Copies and Mary Sue creepypasta characters AND fangirling. ~Oooh, I'm Nina the Killer! I'm so beautiful and I love Jeff! We'll be BFFs forever! UwU~
I mean... do you have no original ideas? None at all? Why would you Copy or make Spin offs (Not all Spin offs are bad, just the majority) of canon pasta probably without permission of the damn author? Ohh and the Mary Sues! It's irritating when the all the humans, or Zalgo, die and then the character come out without a scratch and then goes back to the slender mansion and has... like... an orgy with all the canon characters! Urgggh!
And lastly fangirling. I have an example here:
The top is what they think will happen
What actually happens.
Dear fangirls/boys,
Thank you SO MUCH for ruining what I love. A big ass THANK YOU! :)

Now, we'll get on to something closer to my heart. If you know what THAC TV, Marble Hornets or FWAN then there's a chance that you know about the breaking up of half the group.
Tim and Joseph left the group because of low pay because viewers starting leaving them BECAUSE OF NOAH. Whom Troy adored. Anyway after that things got really, really crazy and I'll just quote Reddit User EndsInATagent on details.
So basically:
(Alyssa is Troy's wife, by the way)

-Troy said Tim was lying about Troy prohibiting people from talking about their pay.

-Alyssa calls Tim a spiteful liar. Says she was on the phone with Tim and knows he is lying. Says she has proof.

-Says Tim was lazy and always missed shoots. Said Tim was planning on leaving anyway because of mental health issues and he was just using the breakup as an excuse.

-Fan says "I wouldn't want to show up to something after all control was taken from me"

-Alyssa responds by saying that never happened.

-Fan clarifies by asking "So Troy didn't keep Noah on after the others wanted him gone?"

-She said "That wasn't their decision. It is Troy's company and he shouldn't just fire someone because other employees don't like him" (this obviously pissed some fans off because it contradicts all three of the THACboiz stories)

-Fan says "What? THAC was always all three of them and would have been nothing if it was just Troy. They were always supposed to be equal partners"

-Alyssa said "No, this has always been Troy's company and they knew that from the beginning. They had opportunities to split the company and they didn't."

-She then explains how Tim hated Noah. He didn't like Noah's personality and she called Tim petty. Said Joseph may have disliked Noah due to artistic differences but Tim just disliked him, even looked up an article about how people with Noah's personality are shitty.

-Said Troy owed it to Noah to give him a chance. That Noah was given warnings about his behavior and that Noah would have been fired if he fucked up again. So that should have been enough.

• Fan mentions that Noah WAS just fired.
-She says "yeah, because he fucked up again" (I think it was that shitty cheerful post he made that pissed Joseph and Tim off. I think the warnings might have been about being a fake shit and acting like he owns THAC)

-She said Troy never did anything to hurt anyone and he was just doing what he had to in order to provide for his family and that Tim is a shitty person for not understanding that and forgiving Troy.

You forgot: Tim emotionally abused Troy and I by forcing us to write that explanation.
Troy OWNED the company. Tim and Joseph had many opportunities to take up coownership and chose not too.
All they could have fucking done was get Noah off. That's it. Noah was also not the nicest off-camera to Tim or Joseph and that's why they complained to Noah, BUT NO Troy just had to be a bastard and not give Joseph and Tim their pay (Woah, there.... In Marble Hornets that's what Alex did) but give to his family (understandable, but you know, Troy knew Joseph and Tim for longer and imagine how they feel).
Then after they leave Troy and Noah keep it going, and again imagine how Tim and Joseph feel! This makes Tim angry and when he and Joseph finally tell worried viewers why they left Tim goes as far to tell Noah to "eat shit".

You won't probably understand or care, but it's a rant and I know that I did a little of this in a previous thread of mine but this is more of detailed one.
Sorry.

I have one.
I really can't stand when you comment on an opinion-based thread about something you don't like in general but someone takes it as a personal attack against them. Such sensitivity.

Okay so mine isn't roleplay related so I feel a little out of place BUT

I have a fertility problem. My husband and I have been trying for YEARS and it's just not happened yet, though it might never. I had a friend call me today bragging that she's pregnant with her second child. Mind you, it's not with her husband and her divorce isn't even finalized yet.

I LOVE being supportive of my friends when they're having kids, especially if they're close to me. But rubbing it in my face? When you know the tears I've cried over the topic?

On the flip side, people I'm close to that don't rub it in my face cut me off completely. People I used to talk to and confide in constantly just poof. Gone. Even though I do my absolute best to be there to emotionally support them, they just cut me off like I'm not important anymore because I'm not part of some kind of "mom community?"

/end rant

kill me

I'm so sorry that you're going through that. You don't deserve friends who aren't supportive of you while you go through something like that. Just remember you are amazing and there are people in your life (and here) that care about you. Stay strong.

I got a bit of a mini rant

I want to freaking be involved in my gosh dang group rps I’m hosting, but it always seems like my sickness gets in the way and prevents me from being able to get replies out fast.

It really makes me feel like trash, because I feel like I’m letting my players down.

Edit: (Truthfully, I probably am.)

I want to freaking be involved in my gosh dang group rps I’m hosting, but it always seems like my sickness gets in the way and prevents me from being able to get replies out fast.

It really makes me feel like trash, because I feel like I’m letting my players down.

You are not trash. Your health is more important I'm sure, I hope, your players understand. Maybe you can take it slowly, let them know about everything that while you want to get going more replies can't be frequent. You want to feel better when you write. :) I hope you feel better.

You are not trash. Your health is more important I'm sure, I hope, your players understand. Maybe you can take it slowly, let them know about everything that while you want to get going more replies can't be frequent. You want to feel better when you write. :) I hope you feel better.
Thanks, I really appreciate the kind words. I guess it isn’t really reasonable to feel guilty about something that I can’t exactly prevent. <3

Don't feel that way (easier said than done), if they care about you they'll understand. You come first above anything else. Hang in there.

I think the weirdest bit of that is that people are roleplaying on Twitter. The place where you only have 280 characters per tweet sounds like the most annoying place to attempt roleplaying..

Anyway, speaking of twitter, some stuff I saw on there inspired this short rant: I've been seeing people recently saying "x series is bad because it's pushing the creators agenda", "I liked x piece of media/person/etc. until they started putting their politics in it", stuff like that, and I just.. don't get it. Pretty much anything that someone creates, whether intentional or not, is going to have their beliefs and biases present in one way or another, even if it's really subtle, because you really can't.. create something without imprinting a bit of yourself on it. Or you can, but imo, it just ends up feeling soulless. In that regard I feel like every piece of media is 'pushing an agenda', and these people are only taking issue with it because it's something they don't agree with this time. Which is fine, but the "it's got the creators beliefs in it so it's trying to push an evil agenda and is bad" argument isn't it chief, and is a really unhelpful approach to media critique

I think the weirdest bit of that is that people are roleplaying on Twitter. The place where you only have 280 characters per tweet sounds like the most annoying place to attempt roleplaying..

Anyway, speaking of twitter, some stuff I saw on there inspired this short rant: I've been seeing people recently saying "x series is bad because it's pushing the creators agenda", "I liked x piece of media/person/etc. until they started putting their politics in it", stuff like that, and I just.. don't get it. Pretty much anything that someone creates, whether intentional or not, is going to have their beliefs and biases present in one way or another, even if it's really subtle, because you really can't.. create something without imprinting a bit of yourself on it. Or you can, but imo, it just ends up feeling soulless. In that regard I feel like every piece of media is 'pushing an agenda', and these people are only taking issue with it because it's something they don't agree with this time. Which is fine, but the "it's got the creators beliefs in it so it's trying to push an evil agenda and is bad" argument isn't it chief, and is a really unhelpful approach to media critique
Oh, is that so? What's the political message of (Your favorite anime or video game) then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back