Good MMO's To Play

Silohette

Of Blatt BLatt
So I'm looking for some cool MMO's besides WoW to play, I was wondering if anyone has any cool MMO's they like to play or would recommend to people :D

FFXIV is pretty good even if you haven't played any of the Final Fantasy series. Switched over after WoD and never looked back.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is actually a decent MMO. It can get rather repetitive in terms of grinding, but the new expansion is supposed to be pretty good. I played it non-stop for about six months and loved every second of it.

Don't do F2P, though. It's terrible.

Or if you're into anime, there's a game called Aura Kingdom out there as well that's in a fantasy setting, with modern/steampunk elements. I played it a lot a while back and loved it ( :) ) Though I haven't played recently at all, so things might've changed there.

Not sure if this counts, but World Of Warships. Awesome game.

For a more traditional MMORPG, Star Trek Online. Took a lot of flak sure, but the ship combat is so much fun.

I think Elder Scrolls Online should bear some mention here, though I haven't played it myself so I can't speak for it personally. I still think it's the best choice out there though. Swtor, as mentioned above, is ok, though I found the experience dull after it transitioned to F2P. Guild Wars 2's still pretty good, though the same could be said about it since it went F2P.

The Secret World.

It has great lore and the missions tend to be very well thought out. It encourages you to follow the story one mission at a time instead of piling on mission after mission in your quest log. The dialogue and cutscenes are generally relevant and entertaining. Leveling and acquiring new skills is very different from WoW and most games I have played. With time you can unlock every ability with every weapon and there is little need to reroll except to try out a different faction. Gear is separate from clothes as well, so you can kick butt in style without worrying about transmogs.

I was looking for an MMO to play besides WoW and TSW is a breath of fresh air. I haven't played it for very long but I definitely recommend it.

LegoLad659 said:
Or if you're into anime, there's a game called Aura Kingdom out there as well that's in a fantasy setting, with modern/steampunk elements. I played it a lot a while back and loved it ( :) ) Though I haven't played recently at all, so things might've changed there.
Alot has changed. I have recently returned to AK and there is alot more to do.

I would recommend FFXIV, Aura Kingdom, and Black Desert Online. Black Desert Online is a Korean MMO that is coming to the West in 2016. It is an action mmo in terms of gameplay it plays out like Guild Wars 2 tha

n Wow. Now I can try to go on about all the different things available in game that you can do, but I would be here awhile. So I best recommend looking the game up. Anyways I hope I helped a bit in your search. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Dai tenshi]Alot has changed. I have recently returned to AK and there is alot more to do.

[/QUOTE]
I noticed xD I came back a few days ago, and found myself just as lost as when I first started. Seeing how the last time I'd played before that, though (April, I think it was?) That's not too surprising ( :P )

Also Project Sansar, an upcoming MMO has potential. It's more of a virtual world, and not much is known about it.

Oh, if you can wait and have a high end computer, I highly suggest Star Citizen. It's about having a ship in space and being about to do anything you want in a futuristic world. Everything's really awesome in game so far though it's a work in progress (so still have bugs aside from not being a full game).

I'm gonna second FFXIV. Played it for a couple years, it's become an amazing game. All of the classes have fun gimmicks unique from one another, the world/lore is planned out incredibly well, and the soundtrack is excellent. Just a fantastic experience as a whole. Not necessarily one that brings a ton of new gimmicks to the table but refined extremely well to the point where it doesn't matter.

Shared servers across PC/PS3/PS4 is a huge bonus as well. Was much easier to get some buds of mine into it. They're usually turned off by MMORPGs. Controller layout is really solid, not that I'd ever personally use it over good old keyboard and mouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're at all into Lord of the Rings, there's an excellent MMO based on the books. It's free to get started but like a lot of free to play games you might want to put down some cash or just subscribe because the way they split up content is kind of weird. Though one bonus is you can actually earn cash shop currency by playing the game. There's a system called 'deeds' where if you say, for example, kill so many orcs in a certain zone or use a certain skill so many times you'll get rewarded with stuff for your character (usually titles or virtue levels which are kind of equippable stat blocks) as well as a small amount of cash shop currency. It's usually 5 to 15 points depending on how difficult or grindy the deed is but you will complete a lot of deeds just by playing the game normally.

The game's almost 10 years old now but the only way it really shows its age graphically is in the character models and some of the older armor being kind of ugly. There's a nice cosmetic system though (I think it's sort of like transmog in WoW though I last played WoW when Burning Crusade was the hot new content so I don't really know how that system works) so you can hide your ugly old gear with better looking, more recently made gear.

You can also play music in game, either by jamming out yourself by hitting the keys or importing a song file that your character will play on a lute or other instrument depending on your class. There's a housing system but it's not very flexible, though the neighborhoods are gorgeous and you can have your own hobbit hole.

I'm also pretty fond of Everquest 2 though that game hasn't aged as well as LotRO. However there's an absolute ton of content and the housing system is insanely flexible.

I used to play Star Wars: The Old Republic, but it got boring grinding your levels and there really isn't a lot of endgame content if you're not part of an active guild imo. Also, if you're looking for free MMOs, although SW:TOR is free, it's really awful if you're F2P.

Wildstar has recently become F2P, I haven't played it a lot, but it's mechanics are a little different than some other MMOs, also the cartoons have kind of a Free Realms vibe (if you know/remember that game.)

There's also TERA, as some people have mentioned. In my opinion, it's kinda like WoW, I really haven't played enough to give you a good description.

Finally, there's Rift. I made it to level 5 before I stopped playing-- not because it was boring, just because I couldn't get into it. So, you could at that one if you want.

For a while, Path of Exile was super popular. The skill tree is absolutely fascinating, it looks like a giant web with nodes. Between that, and the inventory management, and the magic system - I rather enjoyed it, it was a fair amount of personal strategy without verging into mind-numbing detail.

GasMaskie said:
FFXIV is pretty good even if you haven't played any of the Final Fantasy series. Switched over after WoD and never looked back.
Oh yeah FFXIV is phenomenal. Too bad I'm like super poor to pay for subscriptions, but from the little time I did have in it it was a lot of fun.

Black Desert Online looks pretty good, but you'll have to wait until 2016. Wildstar has a pretty good combat system, but other than that, nothing really stands out, especially after it went F2P. FFXIV, as everyone says, is also pretty good. If you don't have money, SWTOR is pretty good, but very repetitive over multiple characters.

my recommendation is always, 100%, path of exile. best mmo out there if you're into diablo/torchlight, those kinds of games. it is so ridiculously addictive and well developed for a free game

and without any pay to win bullshit

10/10 no question

More info about Sansar: Project Sansar is its development name I think, and it might get an official name later on. Currently it is in pre-alpha or closed alpha, and only a few people are testing it currently, but open beta is estimated to come out sometime in 2016. It is supposed to be a no-boundaries sandbox MMO and a "spiritual successor" to Second Life as it is made by the same people who made SL, Linden Lab. It is unknown whenever or not it will only have humanoids for avatars (like Black Desert) or a more vast user-made avatar customization system (like it's predecessor, Second Life).

Guild Wars 2 <3 one of the best, plus it pay once and play and FREE DLC and the overwhelming amount of ppl that play it too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back