Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
The door was just too appealing, Dagger had to know what was behind it. He saw the glint of something shiney and his instinct took over , popping the door open for a peek. The skeletons rose as someone pulled him back, quickly he pulled his daggers and waited for the first one to come through. As soon as he saw bones he attacked, watching the first Skeleton collapse from his hits, he backed up and as a second Skeleton came through he struck again, this one he hit with extra strength as it hit Ned. Before he reset to wait for another, hoping it to be the undead thing that came from a secret room he watched the last fall.
As everyone else checked the bodies Dagger felt drawn to the secret room, and quickly and quietly he moved towards the door...

Keeping her bow in her hands turned out to be a wise decision as the Triton heard a strange sound approaching -- hard steps on the wooden flooring. Turning to face the new opponents, she shot an arrow, unsure if it would do much, but managed to connect the tip of the arrow with a joint, wedging it in and weakening the strange creature's movement. Amethyst attempted to call down sacred fire on the undead, but in the small space her aim was off and it easily ambled away from where she had cast. Muttering a dwarvish curse under her breath she held her weapons once more and prepared to strike.

As the pair of women heard a voice from further in, they both understood him to be a greater threat, with Teshyn moving to get a line of sight on him and shooting another arrow, while Amy shot her own arrow -- one of brilliant radiance in the shape of a hammer, slamming into the undead figure's chest. Striking her hammer against her shield the dwarf called out, "An' that's how it's bloody done!"

Tobi looks over at the sound from the other room and just shakes his head in disbelief. He shows everyone a way to go but they decide to look elsewhere and find dangerous playmates instead and he is far too far away to help. Trying to do the best that he can he jumps up onto the dormitory's beds and hops from one to the other, finally throwing himself towards the skeletons with his saber out and slashing at one of them. He dodges an attack from one of the remaining ones and watches Amy put the undead down with relief.

Play to the superstition, turn it to an advantage. "The. Fucking. Dead. Men's. Curse." He sounds exasperated as he kicks out at one of the skulls, before turning and keeping a close eye on Ned. He seemed that someone had hurt him in the fight, was this time to take advantage of it? No. Wait for the best opportunity. "If you want me I will be by the other secret door, please try not to bring any more curses down on us. The last thing we need is Sapphire Eyes himself turning up." With no explanation of who Sapphire Eyes was or why it would be bad, keep them guessing, he moves back over towards the secret door he had found.

The secret door lay open before Dagger, a great clutter of broken glass and earthenware piled on the floor beyond. A multitude of chemical smells fill the air, old and stale. Free from webs, not even spiders have seen fit to best here.

Within the pile of debris; broken glass and papers half destroyed by the ravages of time; you'd notice 3 small copper pots.
The former laboratory, has a bench running down the western wall. On it are jars of powders and liquids and several pieces of chemical apparatus.

There is a table against the south wall, forming an L-shape with the bench. A book is open on the table.

Also on the table is a candlestick, with a tiny stump of unlit candle still in it, and a variety of other items that, even in the dim light, shine with the warmth of pure gold. One of these objects looks like a human skull.

"Well then, seems we've found something interesting." Ned stands in the doorway. sword still clutched at the ready. His other holds a wound on his left side...

Dagger put the spell book in his bag and grabbed up some incense and the like. He watched Corian make a kit of some kind from the stuff on the bench then he returned to the room beyond the once barred door. Crouching to be a harder target, Amy hit his head and told him to stop doing weird things, he just rubbed the spot and proceeded to go down the once hidden path Tobi had found

Tobi leans against the wall inside the secret passageway as he waits for the others to finish their looting. He taps the saber against his boot idly as he waits, trying to keep an ear out for any more bandits that could be approaching but really getting lost in his own thoughts more than anything else. Then he hears a wailing coming from further down inside the secret passageway. He is not ready to be dealing with more roving undead and a part of him starts to even believe in the made up curse he had been talking about.

He hops out of the door frame, sword at the ready, and pulls the door closed as much as possible. Facing it down, he contemplates kicking a bed in front of it but instead decides to draw everyone's attention to it instead. "Hey... there is some weird wailing shit going on down that tunnel. Like the howling of the possessed deep or something. I think we might end up in another fight if we go down there, is everyone ready for that or do we need some time to patch some things up?"

Corian examined the two items taken from the alchemist skeleton. He gave the bag to Teshyn, but kept the river stone for himself. After that, he looked through the alchemist's room and found some stuff that he could turn into an alchemist kit. Selena would probably like to tinker with this, if she knew how to even use it.... Corian thought to himself as he scrounged it together and put it into his bag. Corian looked over to Tobi as he walked out from the room. "I have spent most of my magic, but I can still throw some fire around. Judging from this fight, we seem to be able to handle ourselves particularly well. I understand if some want to rest and regain their abilities however."

While everyone began to search the room, Teshyn chuckled to herself, "Ae guess Tobi was notte entirelie wronge aboutte thee dead men's curse, hm?" However it did little to give her any pause as she put her bare foot on the ribs of the skeletons and broke off the golden ribs they bore, holding them in her hands and admiring the glint off the faint lighting in the room.

The triton tilted her head at being handed the bag, but tossed her latest findings inside for now and put the strap over her chest. Thinking for a moment, "Ae ... could use a bitte of a breather, to check mie bandages from before."

Amy nodded, adjusting her armor, "Aye ... I wouldn't turn downa chance to check myself too -- that mage bugger threw some acid at me, an' I'd like ta treat the burns before they get worse."

The wailing grows louder as the party moves down the rough stairs, hewn from stone. They end in a fork, a series of caverns before you; the ground is uneven and slick with moisture.
To the right lays total darkness.
The left's is illuminated by torches, rush mats have been laid down to provide added traction.

The sound continues to whistle around you formless in nature, coming from deeper inside.

Following the others, Teshyn took a deep breath -- this place smelled like something she was very familiar with. As the group paused at the fork, she knelt to study the ground, aided by the dim light others provided. Pointing down the direction of the torches she spoke quietly, "Sounds wille travel far downe here, butte there are seven sets of printtes down thatte waie. Nothing from thee other side, butte Ae thinke itte leads to thee water." She smirked at Tobi, "Thatte is notte thee wailing of thee dead, butte instead thee wailing of thee sea. Echoes of thee winds and waves."

Dusting off her hands, she reached for her bow again, "There maie be something down there, butte if anything, likelie storage, as these seem to be smugglers."

Sil relaxed a little after Teshyn reported what she had found about the number of people and the direction that they had traveled. It would allow them a running tally for the remaining bandits. However, if they were gathered in one spot, that could make the fighting quite difficult. Especially if it was in a chokepoint or a narrow tunnel...Dagger's limited vision wouldn't help much make it much better. For light, he suggested have Light cast on a stone, to allow the amount of light to be revealed. Amy then suggested that they put the rock in the lantern, as its lens could be manipulated better and restricted.

Whispering just loudly enough for Dagger to hear "Dagger, beware, long tunnels or chokepoints. They could be set for an ambush."

Tobi freezes up at what Teshyn says. If it is a smuggler's den then it isn't one he is aware of and he thinks he knows all of them in the immediate area around the town. He laughs a little bit to try and clear the nervousness from his system. "Smugglers? Don't really get those around this part of the coast. Not at all. But let's not worry about that yeah? No need to go putting our noses in that sort of business now. I'm glad it's not a ghost or anything so it's good. We don't need to go down there." He coughs a little bit as he almost gets caught in his words before settling himself and gesturing with his saber towards the tunnel. "Clearly the way to go is into that complete darkness. Good idea with the light Sil. Let's go this way yeah? Away from any fancy ideas of imaginary smugglers."

Sil looked extremely closely at Tobi as he made the comment about there not being any smugglers near this part of the coast. The Marines were going out on staggered patrols trying to catch the smugglers and pirates. Furthermore, when he wasn't pulling duty at the docks or getting assigned crazy duties like clearing out a 'haunted house' he would be out on the boats as well. Actually that was how his crew got slaughtered. He brings his fingers of his right hand to the scars on his face and traces them in memory and remembrance of the lost marines. However, Sil was sure that Tobi was just such an honest and naive sailor that maybe he honestly didn't know. "Actually, Master Tobias, SaltMarsh has always had a high smuggling level. I'm not so worried about the small things people try to get through. It's the pirates and the master smugglers that we are hunting. Pirates stealing from everyone and the ransoming it off or the big smugglers bringing in so much without taxes and tariffs that help keep SaltMarsh safe. However, these particular scum have already demonstrated that they will kill to preserve their power and secrets." He pauses for a second as he thinks "You know having a law-abiding citizen such as yourself on the piers and docks would be a great asset. I wouldn't want you to put yourself in harm's way, but if you hear anything, I could relay it up for you. May even be a reward in it for you. We could keep it confidential."

Last edited:
The party, aided by the magical light, moves down the right path. The floor is slick but illumination aides their footing in a surprising way.
Partially down the tunnel Dagger and Ned throw themselves against the side of the cavern; barely escape doom. Part of the lichen on the caverns ceiling gives way, splattering on the floor, two slimy blobs attempt to rise up and attack the group. "Slime!" Amy bellows as she calls down heavenly wrath to smite the gooey creature, as Sil lights the other up with a bolt of searing fire. The spells cast eerie shadows on the walls as the sound of the brief combat echoes throughout the cavern.

More alert then ever the party continues on, their guard up, refusing to be surprised again. Emptying then out into a twenty five foot cavern similar to the passage they had just left. The natural stone on this place, hold no secret and nothing else for that matter. It is empty and your footsteps echo, a passageway leads further down.

"Glad that you two caught sight of the slime before it got you. I have heard that is extremely corrosive and deadly. Keep your eyes open. We have to be getting close to them..." Sil seems even more jittery, as trying to be hyper-alert to the environment and the dangers that are awaiting the party. 'The ocean is helping to hide the noises of anything in here...I don't want to lead them into a trap...well Ned could, but I prefer to keep Dagger alive and well.'

Dagger isn't the quietest as he moves forward, but by some blessed luck and some beneficial words from Amy he moves forward closer to the lighted tunnel. The sounds of the sea continue to crescendo through the cavern, but over it he can make out a voice. "Look here you cowards, I Sanbalet am strong and people don't mess with me got it? Now Get down behind those barrels as the Great Sanbalet told you."

there is some snickering from the chamber, more then once person. It obvious someone think highly of themselves. However it is also obvious that someone has set an ambush for you.

Last edited:
Tobi winces at the noise that Sil makes as he tries to sneak forward. Time to try a different tact then, something a bit more direct but maybe something to throw them off the scent a little. This Sanbalet didn't seem too bright and there is a small part of Tobi that is insulted that someone so dense would be working as part of a smuggling ring and not one he was a part of. Strength didn't matter with a slit throat after all.

The smuggler checks his saber for a second and then moves it behind his back out of sight. He starts pretending to stumble forward, kicking a few stones and making it obvious that someone is coming but unsteadily. He tries to pitch his voice so that it is running deep with fear, unsure about what's going on. No reason for Sanbalet and his cronies to know that Tobi can see in the dark, no reason for them to know he is armed.

He grins for a moment as he readies his saber to attack anyone that comes out. "Oh gods, oh by the gods I hope... Oh gods. Is it... No it can't be. What was that thing? It killed everyone. Everyone. I don't think it can get me down here though. Oh gods. I would do anything for a light, something to be able to see. Oh gods those teeth... those fucking teeth. Tearing everyone apart. What kind of fucking monster would do that?"

Teshyn looked surprised in the dark as Tobi stumbled forward, but as he shambled forward she closed her eyes and focused on listening, hearing the approach of footsteps. The triton raised her bow, hissing to the others, "Prepare yourselves!"

Thinking quickly, and hoping the bandits knew the voice of the undead mage they had locked up, Dagger leaned towards the corner and said loudly and in the mage's voice "Secrets found and lost then found again. Your paltry minds cannot fathom..." As he finished he listen for their responses.

"Sanbalet will give you secrets you undead prick. Come on then!" A clamoring of beings from further down the tunnel. "Come on nunces, time to end this once and for all! Get up here you bilge rats!"
More footprints are heard from further within, they are coming. They are coming fast.

Tobi is waiting for these smugglers to come out and he is prepared as one runs straight up to him and meets his saber. He sees Ned rush up beside him and there is the faintest second where he considers running the tattooed man through himself so deep are his suspicions but he decides to focus on the fight itself. Seeing his first opponent go down and then a hobgoblin get killed, the smuggler faces up against another scout and swings but that moment of doubt is still there and the scout is able to judge. Silently cursing himself he gets ready to go again, dodging blows and magic from this Sanbalet character, but Sil uses some magic and he sees Sanbalet, Ned and poor little Dagger all drop asleep.

He quickly moves to wake up Dagger and turns to the rest of the group with this sword pointing at Ned. "This bastard has some dodgy tattoos and seems to be part of a secret society that I've heard of up and down the coast. Seems awful convenient for him to be knocked out and waiting for the guy that sent us only the day before we get there. I do not trust him in the slightest and now that he's asleep I say we tie him back up and get some answers from him. Had people like him on a crew before, turned out they were a plant for a pirate and we almost lost the whole ship that way. I don't want to go through that again." The smuggler takes a big sigh of relief, having held that in since only sharing his opinions with Teshyn. He then moves further into the cavern past the bodies on the floor to look at what was being moved, specifically looking for symbols that could tie this to his boss.

"Master Tobi, I too have been harboring deep suspicions of Ned as well. I agree that it has seemed too convenient that he was left alive to be found upstairs. If you do so, tie him up and search him. When we go to interrogate him we can claim that the wizard has spilled the entire story to us about his role. It would be worthless to lie. Just make sure that the wizard and Ned can'tsee each other."
Sil examines the storage room and notices the large quantity of goods. "I would say that they have been somewhat successful in circumnavigating around Saltmarsh's Ports and I would say at least one to two ships have been plundered to provide the amount of goods here. Going to be interesting to get it back to town...maybe the town will send some bodies up here..." Releasing a deep breath, "I wish to question that one but I feel that we have not seen everything yet."

Seeing the faint outline of approaching forms, Teshyn pulled out her bow, attempting to strike and from a grunt of pain nodded in satisfaction that she'd hit her mark. Amethyst next to her could see better, yet with the crowding, had a struggle trying to aim her crossbow down the hall and the shot went wide. Cursing in Dwarvish she began to reload, as did the Triton next to her, only for her to bump into the ranger and cause her next shot to go wide.

Teshyn grimaced at the poor shot, but Amethyst steadied herself and pausing her breath for a moment, aimed her shot true and struck a heavy blow into one of the foes, then reached for her warhammer as she pushed her way forward, hoping to take some of the blows instead of the others.

Once the fight ended with the sound of snores, Teshyn narrowed her eyes at Tobi. "Ae wille saie whatte Ae saide before: Ae believe Nedde's storie. Ae saw thee marks on thee floor, andde theie matchedde withe whatte he saide before. Ae do notte understandde where suche paranoia comes fromme -- he has eagerlie runne into combatte withe us, evenne atte risk of his owne life." She gestured towards the sleeping figure on the floor, "If you strike him, Ae wille have no choice butte to returne thee blow on his behalf." Lowering her arm that held her longbow, her other hand brought attention to the glaive on her back, the sharp metal looking as though it was a carved coral reef, a glimmer along the weapon made it look damp. "We are here togethere, fore better or worse. Questione himme if you like, butte Ae wille notte stande bie if you wish to kille him."

"I do not wish to kill him either nor would I allow a bound prisoner to be killed, unless sentenced to death by legal representatives, which we are not. It would be my intent to turn both of them over to the Captains for deep questioning. I do admit that he has fought hard by our side since joining, but as Master Tobi stated, how better to establish your cover. If you wish, we can question the wizard first. He seems rather proud of himself and thinks he is clever."
Looking to Teshyn, "This band has tried to kill us at every point that we encountered them. Yet they knock him out on the first floor, drag him upstairs. Strip him in one room and move his stuff to another. You find nothing at all odd about that? Also think of the dead body when we first got to the basement. the armor was batterex. I think the grubs were a later addition not intended or expected."

Tobi looks through the boxes and bundles, trying to seek out information before anyone else can look through them. When he steps back towards the group he hears the argument with Teshyn and Sil and he rubs at his temples in frustration. "Teebz, I'm not saying to kill him. The distrust comes from the tattoos and what they mean as well as the circumstances we found him in. Like Sil has said, there are murderous attackers, corpses and the undead all around this house but he is left almost for us to find. And those damned tattoos. How can you trust someone who is part of a secret society in the middle of everything that we have found?"

The smuggler gestures back towards the cave and puts on a slightly confused air about the goods that he has seen, while eyeing up one of the dead scout's bows from the corner of his eye. "So problems with Ned aside, I've taken a look at a lot of the stuff that's here. There are a few barrels of rum that might be okay to take back with us and sell but the material itself looks like it is having too many problems from the damp and the soaking. You might only get a few gold for the lot in the market for it. If you want I can take that back and see if I can get any more for it with my boss, I know he has some people who can repair damaged fabric like that. I can split the profits with you all that way if you like." He nudges the bow with his foot. "Anyone mind if I take this? I don't have any ranged weapons myself except for throwing knives."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread