Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolling the sword through a few elegant manuvers in either hand, "I find myself curious about the rest of this structure. If you'd permit I'd like to help your group. Afterall, we all do work for the same person, and it would allow me to seem a bit more competent then a victem of random bludgeoning."
The sword is sheathed and he moves to leave the room.

Studying the strange man again, the Triton began following the others up the stairs, commenting, "Itte seems this house is verie populare tonightte, fore better or worse."

The dwarven cleric rolled her eyes at Ned's outburst of excitement over finding his trousers, adding, "Interestin' oath to take. Seems our number keeps growin', aye? Sounds like the others found someone else below, hopefully they prove more useful than the feather-brain over there," she gestured towards Dagger. Peering around the hall she continued, "I don't think there's much left of the house to check, is there?"

Watching Ned flourish his weapon and toss it hand to hand, confirmed evermore that there was something completely off about the 'stranger.' His capabilities seemed so far beyond most of the group so far. "At least we can wrap up this upper floor, and head to the basement. Need to recover the armor, and I want to check out that suspicious brick that we found."
"DAGGER! NED! Come on, let's head back downstairs before we find another express route to the first floor again! We should go meet the newest addition to the party." Looking around, it didn't seem like there too much left...maybe a room or two, but most of the rooms had been either trashed or infested with various bugs. Shuddering, 'I have a bad feeling about this place.'

Tobi nods at TBD's comment, still feeling a level of residual panic at the possibility of being found out. He speaks quietly to the Triton, keen not to be heard by Ned upstairs. "I don't trust Ned Teebs, I know I've been really subtle and playing it close to the chest so you might not have noticed but I don't trust him. Those tattoos on his arm are from a secret society and him being sent to meet the guy that hired us to come today. It's all too convenient." He sighs and looks shiftily up the stairs towards the other group. "I've known people like that before and they turn out bad, we were betrayed by a man who said he was shipwrecked by pirates but turned out to just be one once. This has that sort of stink on it."

Teshyn looked up the stairs before looking back at Tobi, answering simply, "If he's a threatte, then we remove hime. Thee crewe is thee mostte importantte partte, butte if he wants to survive this nightte, itte's inne his bestte interestte to staie onne our goode side." The Triton leaned closer, "There's a reasone Ae did notte give him mie strongestte weapon to borrowe. Ae do notte pretend to knowe all of thee surface, butte Ae do notte tolerate betrayals. Too manie things Ae have yette to do to be cutte down alreadie."

Corian looked around the room as Tobi and Teshyn spoke. He never saw the inside of this house before, but it looked exactly like how he imagined it looked. After a few moments he spoke up to the two people next to him. "You asked me about a person named Ned earlier, may I ask who this man is? I have already gathered that it's someone else you met while you were here, but what does he know about the house?"

Glancing back at Tobi for a moment, the Triton turned towards Corian, "Tobie seems to know more thanne Ae do. Fromme thee tracks Ae saw, he barelie gotte pastte thee door before being attacked." She shrugged, "Hard to knowe whatte he trulie knows. Humans are stille strange to me."

Dagger patted Ned on his back, "All are welcome 'ere." He says as he makes his way back towards the others. As he comes down the stairs to meet the new member he sees the others aren't very happy that the party has grown either. To easy some of the tension, Dagger gets right up in Corians face.
"Be ye friend, or be ye bait?" to really throw everyone off, he licks Corian cheek, spits and says "Too salty, not good for noth'n." and heads for the basement again.

Sil, following Dagger is boggled and dumbfounded by Dagger's action. 'Well I guess that is one way to do it...' Moving after Dagger, he says to the newest addition "Pleasure to meet you. I'm Sil, that was Dagger. WWelcome to the party. Time to crash the basement, again."

Tobi looks a little surprised by Dagger's conduct and he blinks a few times before giving a small shrug. "Last time I saw someone lick someone else like that it was in a port on a group of islands and it was for a very, very different reason I feel. What a strange little bird we have." He laughs to himself, pats Corian on the shoulder and follows the rest of the group into the basement.

Corian tenses up when Dagger licks him. As soon as the bird walks away, he produces a cloth and cleans off the spot on his face. Corian clears his throat as he puts the cloth away. "Let us move to the basement then. I hope that we can find whatever is needed down there." Corian speaks calmly as he follows everyone else into the basement.

Reaching the basement again, Sil is happy that the smoke of the burnt grubs has cleared away. The odor isn't exactly pleasant, he would gladly suffer the 'cooked' worms, rather than the possibility of being worm food. Examining the plate mail, it looks mostly fine. Amy will probably have to put new straps on and bang out the dents but he felt that it should be very salvageable. 'Then again I'm not a blacksmith.'
Standing up, he quietly watched Ned and his actions. 'If I'm wrong, I guess we'll find out pretty damn quick. I just wish I knew what it was about this guy that is getting my senses screaming. The new person 'Corian' doesn't trigger half as much....although, milking poisonous snakes...pretty bold!'

The dank basement greats you again like an old friend. Enveloping you in the musty odor of the cellar that you had been in previously... One accessed before by a different trap door. The learned among you would know some strange magic or supernatural forces would be at work here to bend reality in such a way...

The room you find just as you left it, the plate mail corpse of another unfortunate adventurer still lies in the middle of the room, sword and shield nearby...

It takes but a moment to notice the mysterious brick is still untouched... Ned strides forward ahead of the group, his blade drawn. "Who wants to poke the potential death trap first then or do you all need a rest? Bird boy looks like crap." A smirk accompanies the now well dressed man.

Sil annoyed by the arrogance and brash nature of Ned stands up and walks over to the brick. With almost a cavalier disregard and very angry stance, he pushes the brick. 'What did we do to have such a pompous arse here. So should have left him tied up on the upper floor.' However, as the brick recessed, a section of the wall gave way and opened up into a hidden lower floor barracks/kitchen area. As his attention was focused on the new room and the sudden details like beds, kitchen area, hanging hams...that he sort of missed the three bandits that were hiding down by the large table in the room. On the 'wow...that's interesting...let's not do that again,' aspects of one's life' seeing two arrows go ripping by his face and ear and slamming into the wall behind him in the room suddenly jumped onto the list.
Fortunately for Sil, the bandits were off, Dagger pushed Sil out of the way and dove through and engaged the first one. This was followed by Tobi engaging the partner with his scimitar. Tesshyn stepped out and planted an arrow in the throat of one of the wounded, delivering a killing blow. This was followed by Amy charging out the door and smashing a Warhammer into the other wounded partner, dropping him as well. Sil popped out and shot a firebolt at the distant archer, lightly scorching him as he turned with it, and then repeated the maneuver with Corian's firebolt. 'What the hell did we stumble into here. This is a hell of a lot more than a haunted house...and who the hell is that guy?' As he had taken cover near one of the beds, Ned swung out of the room and charged the archer. In a single swing, Ned had killed the archer on his sword. 'He is no bloody amateur...damn that was impressive.'

Preparing herself again in case things got agressive again, Teshyn held her bow at the ready. Hearing the familiar thp! of an arrow slamming into a wall, she entered into the room and drew an arrow, pausing just enough to finalize her aim, and released, once more stunned by how easily things moved through the air compared to her homeland, water. Hearing the painful gurgle of a well placed shot, she spun back around the wall, using it for cover from the archer while the dwarven cleric stomped by, full of fury as she swung her warhammer, connecting with a crack against one of the thugs. "Ain't no one allowed t'hit the damn bird, 'cept me!" she growled, turning to face the next challenger, banging her weapon against her shield.

Amy watched Ned deal the final blow with a huff, "Not too shabby then, for someone who spent th' past couple a'hours in his undies."

Teshyn entered the room again, "Too badde we did notte keep one alive fore questions ..." she nudged a body with her foot, "Perhaps theie maie have somethinge of importte onne them?"

Corian swiftly moved behind the wall as the arrows shot passed him. I haven't gotten us this close to danger in a while, but it pays to help out the people around here. Corian thought to himself as he prepared a bolt of fire in his hand. Other members of the party rushed forward, which Corian saw as a good enough distraction. He peeked around the corner and aimed his shot at the last bandit, then let loose his streak of fire. Corian slipped back behind the wall as soon as he saw his fire hit the target. A couple moments later, he heard the bandit die. Corian sighed quietly to himself, then joined up with the others in the room. "At least we found the room, there should be some information in here. I can search the bodies, if no one else wants to."

Arrows fly, so dagger does too. Quickly he charges in towards the privateers, and puts both his daggers deep into one. As he felt the party explode into action behind him he readied to counter, then cleaned his blades.
With all the bandits defeated he looked to the others, "Whaaat aaa ruush!"

Tobi whistles quietly to himself as the arrow zips past, glad it was not aimed at him. He watches as the others rush to do battle and eyes up the already heavily injured scout that was causing a lot of issues. Deftly he pulls his dagger out of its sheath and throws it towards the scout, nodding with satisfaction at the solid thunk it made on contact. When the battle dies down he moves into the room and retrieves his weapon, tucking it back away before turning to the others. "If you want to search them go ahead, I'm not much for searching the dead. Superstitions and that. I don't want the dead man's curse on me thanks very much, I've seen what it can do to a sailor." He smiles a little to the others, mostly to let them know he won't interfere, and steps back away from the bodies.

After the lockers have been opened and the loot divvied out, with Tobi making sure to not take any of the money from the dead men, the fighter leans back against the wall for a minute. It's not that he is superstitious about the money from the corpses, he doesn't care less, but superstitions are rife among sailors and if people think he has a quirk or two it may be easier to hide any of the actual skills he has picked up along the way. Looking over the room he notices the way the wall is not quite flush on one side of things in the corner, definitely a secret door. Shit. He can't let any of the team know how he would know that, he needs to think of a way to make them aware without pinning it on himself.

The lantern lights in his brain as the idea comes and he sidles his way over to the corner, watching everyone staying busy with other things. Apart from Ned, the most suspicious member of their little party parade seems like he is keeping himself free from tasks. All the time to better betray and murder them when they don't expect it, well Tobi is expecting it. That shifty prick won't get the best of him. Enacting his, quite frankly brilliant, plan he leans back against the door just at the point where it would open and falls backwards with a bit of a crash. He jumps back up to his feet in the now open doorway and sees no-one looking his way. He is a fucking mastermind. He calls out to the rest of the group, indicating what he has found. "Hey guys! I was just leaning up against this wall, minding my own business and doing nothing at all and the wall just clicked open. Seems like it must have been a secret door, who knew? Not me that's for sure. I've seen something like this before in a cave filled with pirate treasure." He grins to himself and points down the stone stairs. "There are some stone stairs here, leading down. I think it's worth checking out? Who wants to come with me?"

Corian looted the bodies of the dead bandits, being more comfortable with it than you would probably think. Once Amy breaks into the lockers, Corian quickly divides it out evenly between everyone. He was used to working with money and being able to sort through it quickly. Since Teshyn was sorting through the bandits' personal items, and the bodies and lockers being picked through, Corian wondered for a moment what he should do next. A yell from Tobi snaps him out of it, and when Corian turns around to look at where Tobi was calling from, he sees the opening of the secret passage. "Well done Tobi. That is some luck, to lean up against the wall in the exact spot of a secret wall. I hope your luck continues while we work together. I'll check out the passageway with you."

The door swings open easily enough under Sil's hand. The hidges seems well cared for, as is the small room beyond with it's comfortable furnishings. The thick smell of an exotic incense hangs in the air,

A comfortable-looking bed in the northwest corner has a wooden locker at its foot.

A small wooden table stands against the east wall, with a padded leather chair beside it. On the table, a brass three-branch candlestick with three burning candles provides the room with illumination. The candles, though not fresh, are far from spent.

Under the table is a small wooden box and an unlit bullseye lantern with a movable shutter over the lens.

On a shelf above the table sit three books. In the northeast corner is a closed wooden wardrobe.

Looking around the small room, Sil knows that this would be the 'Boss's' room. "Very Nice." He steps into the room and heads towards the table, while Corian and Tessyn enter the room and go towards the bookcase and wardrobe. Eyes scanning, and mind trying to process the scene, Sil tries to think like the 'bad guy boss'. 'Where would I hide stuff or information that I didn't want people to find?'
Biting his lip as he quirks it to the side and lifts the lantern off the floor and puts it on the table. Knowing that they had a tunnel to investigate, that might just come in handy.

Hoping the box the box was locked Dagger moved for it and was sad that it just opened. Pulling instructions for using a bullseye lantern to communicate and setting them on the near by table, he then put the rest of its contents in his bag. As he stood he grab the instructions and started showing it around. He eyed the Spellbook Sil found with untamed envy, and the erotic poetry book Teshyn has curiously.

Leaving the room, Sil expected the party to head down towards Tobi and the secret tunnel. However before he realizes it or can stop him, Dagger dropped to the floor by the barricaded room, peered under and with an insane cawing cackle flipped the barriers off the door and entered. As the Marine tried to snag the bird, he scooted even further into the room.
"Bloody seven hells Dagger! Are you daft as a kobold in mating season?! What are doing? Didn't you think about why A LARGE GROUP OF CROOKS DIDNT OPEN THE DOOR?!" Sil started off with his voice getting louder with each second. Suddenly, there is movement in the room as skeletons are standing up and pushing away from the walls.
"Oh to the hell noooo... this place has real undead? If we make it out of this Dagger, I'm plucking every feather from your plumed head and making you wear. A hat that screams 'I'm an Idiot and cant be trusted without supervision'" he growled at the thief.
He tried to call the arcane energies and shoot a bolt of fire at one of the creatures when he got spooked by another skeleton bearing down on him. As the bolt fizzled and poofed, it went off in his hand. Grabbing his stinging and singed hand, he started cussing. "By the unholiest depths of a dragon's farts! Worthless, braindead, mindwiped lovechild of an illithid bird lovechild!"

Last edited:
Sil moved and shifted as the creatures came forward. However, it was the appearance of a ghostly robed skeleton set his already jagged nerves almost to the edge. Finally, his bolts were flying true, although shaking inside, he kept calm and the focus on the weave as he had been taught. The first bolt slams the robed skeleton in the chest. Beautiful bolts from the newest member, Corian solidly hit the mage as well. Finally, Amy's beautiful blessed bolt slammed into and disrupted the magic holding it together. Motivated and reassured by the power of the party and the dropping skeletons, Sil fired another blast into the last skeleton. He smiled for what felt the first time in this whole of the day of madness and constant shifts of insanity. 'The day may not be over yet, but there may be hope yet that we can solve this mystery and end it once and fer all...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread