Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the southern coast of the kingdom of Keoland there is a nondiscript fishing villiage known as Saltmarsh. To most of you it's home or has been for a few years now. Not much ever changed here over the years, until Dwarves found precious metals in the cliffside. Now the town stands on a precipice of great change, will it grow to become an economic power house or stay true to its roots. Either way storm clouds are on the horizon...

It's early evening and the sky has become an inky black. Most people in town have already found shelter from the gale, summer storms are known for their ferocity. Most of you are attempting to finish some last task around the harbour before the storm truely hits. The smell of salt and burning ozone his your nostrils as lightning arcs across the sky...

A lone fishing boat is attempting to make its way to port. Tattered sails yield their ineffectiveness in the wind...

With a sigh and a glance to the sky's, Dagger continues his trip to the bar. Hope that fisherman makes it before the storm. he thought as he went. As he went he began to wonder what songs he would hear Tonite. Maybe he should start them off with the one about Captain Kidd

Amethyst finishes the final order of the dinner rush and finally gets the opportunity to take a break before the fishermen begin swarming the Snapping Line. She steps out the back door to get some of the cool evening air when she realizes the turn that the weather has taken. Looking out at the sea, she spies the ship and quickly understands the danger that it is in as she wipes grease from her hands onto her apron and grabs her pack, shouting to the other cook inside, "There's somethin' wrong down at the docks, I'm gonna go see if I can help. I'll be back as soon as I can."

She ran around to the front of the bar, nearly toppling over a kenku who was meandering toward the door. Amy grumbles a "watch where yer goin', ya feathered git," as she rights herself on her way down to the edge of the water. She flipped her bag over her shoulder and pulled out her rope, not entirely sure what to do next, but figuring rope wouldn't hurt in this situation.

"Oh, you are so nor-tee." Dagger shouts as the dwarf insults him, sounding like a woman. He pauses and shrugs and follows her to see what new curses he might get lucky and hear. He takes a moment to check that his armor is still fastened tight and begins whistling 'Drunken Sailor' as he chases her.

Somewhat enjoying the darkening of the sky, the gusting wind of an impending storm, a young female Triton stood on the shore, her short hair whipping around her face, her entire person vibrant compared to those around her. The roots of her hair boasted a strong dark purple that faded to a softer green the further out it grew, her pale blue skin was dappled here and there with small scales, shimmering in the darkening light where it wasn't covered by the rough and simple clothes she wore -- barefoot and leggings cut off around the knee so as not to limit the webbing between her toes or small fins along her calves. Yellow aquatic eyes looked out across the waters, webbed hands raised in a strange attempt to strengthen her gaze -- some unfamiliar gesture the surfacers here had taught her.

Her being Teshyn Beldes Dubonzath -- a name that carried weight where she came from -- however could only properly be spoken under water at depths that anyone around her would barely survive ... meaning up here everything felt far too soft. Giving up after awhile, and after learning common, she had spelled it out, but the villagers seemed to latch on to the first letters, merely dubbing her TBD forever more.

Focusing on the ship coming in, she recognized it -- one she'd repaired a few times, even taught the owner's young son how to properly hammer a nail ... how in the Abyss did it look so damaged now? Her heart fluttered ... maybe ...? No -- it couldn't be -- she rushed over to the pier, feet slapping against the wooden planks, noticing a few others seemed to be watching and waiting too. TBD looked down at the dwarf and kenku before speaking, her voice seeming to carry strangely in the air, if any realized she came from a world attuned to the water, it would make far more sense. "Daegar-- Amie, Ae reckognize thee ship. Shood not be soe damaged -- Ae worrie for it -- heard anniething?"

Tobi finishes rifling through the last barrel in the storehouse, whistling to himself as he worked. The eels were disgusting but the smell kept the majority of people from looking a little further inside to the false bottom and casks of wine underneath. Anyway it's not like the wine was illegal, really, just a little too heavily taxed for some potential purchasers. Setting the lid back on the barrel he moves over to the wall and makes a mark with a small piece of chalk that he takes from his pocket, a number three in jagged common. Three barrels in a shipment was a nice and easy job, something he wouldn't need Olisvier's help with. It was nice to be doing things by himself but he did get lonely sometimes without his brother out there with him.

He takes a slice of soap out of another pocket and begins lathering up his hands as he moves out of the storehouse and onto one of the lower piers, taking care to make sure that he isn't seen until he is a little away from the building. The half-elf is nondescript by choice, his plain brown cloak hiding his studded leather armour and his smooth dark brown hair just reaching past his chin. His eyes are sharp and bright though, their warm brown tones shining a rich chocolate in the light. The soap was a trick of his fathers, guards won't know what barrel to search if they can't smell the contents on your hands, and it had saved his skin more than once over the years. He dips his hands into the water to wash off the suds and steps out into the darkening sky, looking towards the boat struggling in the water, putting his hand on his brow to get a better look.

Ruffling his feathers Dagger shakes his head, then repeats back to her "Dagger...not...heard anything." he looks to the dwarf, and motions to the boat "What are you gonna do about it piss ant?" he says in a sailors voice. He giggles softly to himself and starts making the tick-tock of a clock to really hammer it home.

"Ya get called a piss ant often, eh?" Amy jabbed back over her shoulder as she tired to keep the ship in sight. She looked up to the triton who she recognised from the restaraunt, "I just came ta check it out, it looks bad enough that the folk aboard might need some help!" she called. She felt helpless standing on shore, seemingly just waiting for the sea to cooperate and bring the boat to shore.

Standing on the pier, the half-elf marine’s face quirked in a disgruntled grimace. His dark leather armor, almost blending into the darkening skies of the inbound storm. The inbound ship looked terrible, listing a bit to the port, sails shredded and what appeared to be empty decks. Green eyes looking out from behind a half mask were very solemn, and the mind remembered a night a few months ago when the ship that he had been on had suffered almost a similar fate. Breaking out of the memory before he gets lost in the pain, Silraine looks to see who’s on the pier. Seeing the kenku nearby was perfect. “Kenku! Dagger! Come here! I need you to run a message for me! Do it quick, and there two silver in it for you!” His mind racing about how he can a crew to the boat before it crashes into the pier.
“Find Captain Stoutly, Either one is fine” Seeing the Triton on the pier with Amy, he hopes that they can get a small boat out to the ship quickly. “Marine Coldrains needs a Captain and team at the pier immediately. The inbound ship appears unmanned and damaged. Maybe similar to event 3 months ago.” What is visible of his lower jaw and mouth reveal the very tips of what must have been severe cuts.
“Excuse me!” Lightly touching the Triton’s arm…He’s seen her before but unfortunately, hadn’t learned her name before this. “Ms. Amy I need you and you” looking at the Triton, “We need to get out to that boat quickly and get her into port. Can you help me take this small craft out to that ship? For their sake and the port’s, we have to get it in before the storm hits!" Looking out at the boat, he swore under his breath. "Ms. Amy, you know skilled sailors! Grab enough to get that under control."

His mind keeps swinging back to the night 3 months ago, when creatures crept out of the seas and swarmed his ship. Looking around at the smaller boats, his mind almost goes blank trying to pick the right one or anyone that could do it. Fortunately the triton, steps up and agrees to help. She quickly starts to prep the smaller craft, as Silraine fumbles his way through the knots. "Thank you so very much. I'm Marine Private Silraine Coldrains. I know I've seen you around, but I hate to say that I don't know your name, ma'am." Pausing for a few seconds, Silraine tries to get his thoughts and breathing in order. 'You have a runner getting more bodies. Higher ups are aware of the danger. It's not the Bouncing Beauty. Get your sh*t together Marine.'

Listening back and forth to the kenku and dwarf was ... interesting. "Pissaent?" TBD muttered to herself before nodding at Amy, "Yeas, notte goode, Ae'm concearned fore thee ship -- it's notte one fore combatte. Wai is itte soe injured?"

Preparing to dive into the waves, TBD paused at the half-elf who started barking orders, "Yeas, canne help you finde something." Running her eyes across the pier she spotted a keelboat with a ballista -- recognizing it as belonging to the guards, "Will thatte werk?" she asked, gesturing towards it, "Mie name is Teshyn Beldes Dubonzath ... butte manie here calle me T-B-D. Beene here awhile -- helping where Ae canne."

"Find Captain Stoutly... Marine Coldrains needs a Captain and team at the pier immediately. The inbound ship appears unmanned and damaged. Maybe similar to event 3 months ago." Daggers repeated back to the guard in their voice. Then took of at a jog for the harbor office hoping the search would be short, he hadn't beat the dwarf at insults yet. As he rushed into the office he looked at the nearest person and moved his hands in a 'move quickly' motion as he said "Captain Stoutly...either one is fine." in the guards voice again.

Tobi notices the others looking out towards the ship and the bustle that seems to be going on and casually wanders over. He recognises one of the people as TBD, the shipwright that had helped on a number of Gellan's ships when Tobi had been given the menial task of staying with the ships as they had been fixed. He gives a little wave as he strolls over and puts a big smile on his face, a happy face often gets more information from people and if he can help then some goodwill with the guards, if any get involved, is always a good thing to have.

"Teebs! Good to see you. What's going on? Looks like that one is trouble out there, you know what's happened to it?" He moves to the side of the Triton and holds his hand out in introduction to the other members of the group around. "Hi there, I'm Tobi. I work for Mr Primewater. Is there anything I can do to help?" Smile, nod, be helpful.

Amy, having no real clue what she is doing, tosses her pack onto the deck of the small boat as she climbs aboard and begins following instructions from the elf and the triton. She seemed to be doing alright, but despite that she says, "I'll be more helpful once we get ta the folks on the ship. I'm pretty good at takin' care a wounds."

"That will be great Amy, I pray to the gods that there are survivors. Master Tobi, and Mistress Teshyyn?" He pauses for a few moments, committing names and trying to focus on the matter at hand, getting to the ship and getting it in before the storm hits. "Our goal is to get to ship. Secure this boat to it and get that ship into the harbor and secured before the storm. Mistress Amy can treat the survivors." 'By all that is holy and good in the realms, let there be survivors. Don't be another Bouncing Beauty' he quietly prays as his focus is again on the ship.

Tobi gives a clumsy half salute with a smile and jogs down to the boat before hopping in, clearly comfortable on the water. He looks around the boat and realises with a small amount of growing panic that he isn't familiar with this sort of keelboat and that the ballista might cause some issues with his usual tricks. He just makes the smile bigger as a response and looks to the dwarf who is doing a pretty brilliant job of helping out. "Don't worry! I've sailed these types plenty of times, in seas much rougher than this. We will be fine. In fact there was this one time where I had to take a skiff down a raging rapids and... well don't worry I'll tell you later. Can you hand me that line for the kicker please?" He points at one of the ropes coiled up on the side. "We might need it if we need to tack to pull this alongside the other ship." He leans over the side and looks towards the other boat before taking a position on the starboard, ready to work the spinnaker or jib if needed.

Last edited:
The docks
A crowd begins to gather on the docks, sensing the emergency. Some of the local fishermen muster to help you shove off the dock. The wind howls out of the west, threatening the boat to capsize. Skillful seamanship and seasoned hands prevail.
The sea swells around the small craft, but the boat soldiers on no matter what mother nature throws at it.

The closer you get to the boat the more you feel the icy grip of fear constrict your hearts. There is still no sign of anyone aboard and the storm is getting worse...

Harbor office
The man behind the desk rises, recognising the voice of its original speaker, "Captain! Messege from Coldrains!"
A tall man, with impressive physique and piercing green eyes bursts into the room. Seeing the kenku standing there, "he's on watch at the harbour, what's happened?"
His voice carries gravitas of a man twice his age. Before you can provide an answer he's already buckling on a longsword and grabbing his cloak.

"Marine Coldrains needs a Captain and team at the pier immediately. The inbound ship appears unmanned and damaged. Maybe similar to event 3 months ago." Dagger responds with Coldrains voice, then make noises of a boat creaking on the sea. Maybe I won't get any new songs or curses Tonite, he thinks to himself with a sigh. Desiding he shouldn't stick around the office Dagger jogs back to the dock to see what the results of his message will be, and to make sure he gets his silver.

As the smaller skiff pulled closer to the abandoned or derelict ship, Silraine struggled with anger, hopelessness, and even a bit of fear. Fortunately, Tobi had previous experience with closing or matching up with ships. While Silraine had been with the Marines for over a year, the last three months had been spent in the local infirmary and recuperating from the injuries of that night three months ago. While the 'commandeered boat was one of the Marine skiffs, it wasn't his or one that he was familiar with, and the rescuers struggle to find equipment such as grappling hooks or other items to help board the ship.

As they pull closer, Silraine pulls himself together and quietly mutters under his breath. A bluish red hand appears, and takes the end of the rope, and moves across the water and loops the rope around the railings of the ship. This allows the rescuers to pull the Marine skiff closer and secure it against the ship. "Ms. Amy, can you put a light in the lanterns?"

Last edited:
Amy got a bit of tunnel vision as she tried to think of ways to help. As they approached the other boat, she found an anchor. Could I throw it over and catch on to the other ship? she thought just as Silraine used a magical hand to accomplish exactly what she had intended. Ok, that wasn't a great plan. She continued to listen to instructions as she reached up to one of the lantern and asked Moradin for assistance as it began glowing despite no flame being lit. She saw that Tobi was about to pull the ships together and she patted him on the back, saying, "Moradin'll lend ya some of his strength." She knew her god would help, but she wasn't as certain of the half-elf's skill, so she grabbed hold of the rope and helped him pull.

Aiding where she could, TBD followed instructions, but when the boats pulled up next to each other, she was first to clamber up the side and onto the deck. The triton frowned as she padded across the wood now dotted red and stained with blood. Lowering her voice she called out to the others, "Ae'm notte seeing anieone here -- this lookes like itte was intense, tools scattered, a spear inne thee mast."

Moving back to the side she offered a finned arm to help others up onto the deck, "Ae knowe this shippe, some mightte be hiding?"

Ametyst takes TBD's hand and climbs aboard the boat. Her only concern was looking for survivors at this point. "If ya know where someone might hide, lets go check it out. Hopef'lly we made it in time." She looks upon all the destruction and carefully slides her shield over one arm as she walks forward.

The Storm: Aboard the ship
The wind picks up, and all but the loudest voices are stolen by it. Making your way across the deck to the storage compartment, hope and fear give your hands shake reaching toward it. As soon as the hatch behind to open, the gale throws it wide...

Inside curled amongst the nets and table is a small figure. A boy no more then eight... TBD recognises him... The fisherman's son... He is badly wounded...

The docks
The alarm bell rings, marines are scrambling to get their ship underway. An even larger crowd has gathered against the storm, collectively holding their breath.

As Amy lifts open the storage compartment, she sees the boy huddled up and looking much worse than she could stand. She immediately went to him and gently tried to calm the lad. "Hi, there, young man. Ma name's Amy, and I'm gonna try ta help ya feel better and we," she gestures to the triton behind her, "are gonna get ya back ta shore."

She places a hand on his shoulder as some of Moradin's strength flows into the boy, healing him a bit. He began mumbling and was clearly ill. Something about monsters? "Don't cha worry, lad. I'll get ya away from here and we'll put some food in that belly. That'll get ya feelin' better." She lifted the boy up to his feet and moved him out of the storeroom, hoping that the others had figured out a way to get this ship moving. As she moved with the boy, she kept an eye out for any other movement, just in case there were other survivors.

Splitting from the others, TBD moved to the mast and pulled the weapon out of the mast. Studying it the triton frowned, walking back to the others, "Notte goode atte all -- this weapon aes like whatte mie people mightte use. Some othere water race attacked."

Seeing the boy carried by the dwarf Amy and overhearing the muttering her frown deepened. Patting his head gently in what she hoped was a soothing manner she hid the weapon behind herself, "Bee calme, we'll sortte this outte -- Ae don'tte thinke this boatte will bee howe we return to shore -- maybe we canne gette thee boie backke to our boatte?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread