Opinion Gaslighting

ApfelSeine

Murder by Numbers 🏳️‍🌈🖥️
I've recently been quite frustrated by the amount of subtle and blatant gaslighting that I've had to endure. I often like to give people the benefit of the doubt, assuming that people rarely have malicious intent, and I stand by that. However, manipulating other people can be quite harmful, whether it is done on purpose or instinctively. I think it is important for people to be aware of what gaslighting is since it is apparently (at least in my experience) very common.

Gaslighting refers to manipulating someone psychologically, to the point where they question their own sanity. From this definition alone, it does not seem like it is something very common. After all, it isn't like everyone spends most of their life questioning whether they are insane or not. However, gaslighting tends to happen very subtly until it builds up to a point where one begins to feel uncertain and unsure of themselves. There are little, apparently meaningless instances that build up to have a bigger effect.

In general, people use the term gaslighting in connection with abusive (romantic) relationships. This is generally where gaslighting is most evident, but it is also common in parent/child and roommate relationships. And I suspect that the reason it is most common here is that these are the relationships that involve spending the most time together. More casual acquaintances may engage in gaslighting behavior, but it is more difficult to notice because it has less time to build up to an unmanageable extent.

So now, it's time for some personal examples, and part of the reason I'm making the thread in the first place (to vent, because it's annoying).

The most recent one involves a friend of mine, or more accurately a friendly acquaintance who I play dice based roleplaying with. We were recently discussing the origins of dice manufacturing and he mentioned an interesting fact.
Him: I recently learned that the ancient Egyptians created a D3.
Me: What? Really? I didn't think it was possible to make a D3. How would that even work?
Him: Yeah, it's amazing.
Me: I can see how one would create a D4, since those exist, but I don't think a D3 would be possible.
Him: No its possible.
Me: But if a D4 has 3 sides, that would mean a D3 would have to have 2 sides and that wouldn't work.
Him: I didn't say D3 I said D20.
Me: What? No, you said D3. That's why I was surprised.
Him: No I didn't. You misheard D20 as D3.
Me: I did not mishear D20 as D3.
Him: *smirking* Okay. Well anyways, the Egyptians made a D20...

I doubt this was done maliciously. He may well have thought he said D20, it is certainly what he meant to say, which is where the confusion arose from. Misspeaking happens all the time. However, rather than simply saying something like "Did I say D3? I meant D20" or even simply "I meant D20..." and then carrying on, he told me that I misheard him. He placed all the responsibility on me, when as fas as either of us could tell for absolute certain, the chance that he misspoke is equally likely as the chance that I misheard him. He also apparently misheard me when I said "D3" and was questioning how that would work, but did not acknowledge that either. Instances like this have happened several times, on top of him having a tendency to ignore me when I'm talking and then asking me to repeat myself. Suffice is to say I do not enjoy talking to him very much.

A second example I have is of my dad, who tends to pretend he never said things which he said. Particularly in the heat of the moment or when it would mean taking responsibility by apologizing. He has a very conveniently selective memory. Fortunately for me, he does not often get angry with me and so he does not often say things which he regrets. Plus I don't live with him now, so there have only been a handful of recent examples. It is much more common for him to do it with my mom though. He has a tendency to say things to her such as "Don't do that. That's the reason [ApfelSeine] doesn't want to live at home!", only to conveniently forget saying that if she or I confront him about it later on. He also will straight up say that he did things he didn't do (or say that he didn't do things that he did), such as claiming to have cleaned up the kitchen even though the piles of dirty pans and stains on the stove would suggest otherwise.

The decisions to try to escape taking responsibility end up being a form of manipulative, gaslighting behavior. Saying that you didn't say things that you did is particularly harmful because there is no way to prove it one way or the other, and so the other person is stuck choosing between not believing you or not believing themselves. There are no positive outcomes to that, so if this tends to be a thing that you do, please try to be mindful of it. If this is a thing that other people do to you, you are under no obligation to be passive about it. It is hurtful and you have a right to say so.

Anyways, that concludes my frustrated rambling venting (for now at least). Thank you to whoever read this far. Feel free to post your own experiences with gaslighting (or manipulative behavior that contributes towards gaslighting) and we can grumble about it together ^_^

My father is a HUGE gaslighter, always has been. He'd convince me I did things I never even did as a kid. I realize it's probably just a byproduct of his uncontrolled bipolar disorder, but it doesn't mean it wasn't or isn't any less traumatic. I'm sorry you have to deal with people who do this to you :(

My father is a HUGE gaslighter, always has been. He'd convince me I did things I never even did as a kid. I realize it's probably just a byproduct of his uncontrolled bipolar disorder, but it doesn't mean it wasn't or isn't any less traumatic. I'm sorry you have to deal with people who do this to you :(

That sounds very difficult to endure! I'm sorry that you had to go through that :( It is good that you can recognize that behavior for what it is since you can have more certainty in yourself now. Though it is still hurtful even when you know that such behavior is manipulative. No one deserves to be treated like that, so I hope that you are around different people who treat you with the honesty and respect you deserve.

That sounds very difficult to endure! I'm sorry that you had to go through that :( It is good that you can recognize that behavior for what it is since you can have more certainty in yourself now. Though it is still hurtful even when you know that such behavior is manipulative. No one deserves to be treated like that, so I hope that you are around different people who treat you with the honesty and respect you deserve.
The hardest part is that my dad is such an amazing person otherwise, he just needs to get help for the things that his illness has done to him.
I definitely have learned how to spot and avoid people who gaslight, though! It seems like you have, as well, which is so important.

Ive expirienced gaslighting many many times with my family but its not really effictive against my mentality, main due to a very traumatic event when I was very young. Things that do make me question my sanity are things like when I place something somewhere and it randomly ends up in a different place or dissapeares for a while, or my "Personal favorite" derealization/depersonalization. Those two things can go fuck themselves.

I've had a few moments like this, mostly from a friend when he tells me I misspoke. Issue's that I slur my words a lot and DO misspeak quite often, but he fucks with me, so I'm never entirely sure which it is. I've really only found it annoying though.

But otherwise...

The most recent one involves a friend of mine, or more accurately a friendly acquaintance who I play dice based roleplaying with. We were recently discussing the origins of dice manufacturing and he mentioned an interesting fact.
Him: I recently learned that the ancient Egyptians created a D3.
Me: What? Really? I didn't think it was possible to make a D3. How would that even work?
Him: Yeah, it's amazing.
Me: I can see how one would create a D4, since those exist, but I don't think a D3 would be possible.
Him: No its possible.
Me: But if a D4 has 3 sides, that would mean a D3 would have to have 2 sides and that wouldn't work.
Him: I didn't say D3 I said D20.
Me: What? No, you said D3. That's why I was surprised.
Him: No I didn't. You misheard D20 as D3.
Me: I did not mishear D20 as D3.
Him: *smirking* Okay. Well anyways, the Egyptians made a D20...
Behold, the D3: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61dNA4uQaGL._SY355_.jpg
One of our most pointless creations.

I can relate a lot to the experiences you describe there though I have to say it's on both sides. I don't like it, but is is a fact I probably ghastlight people but I don't do it intentionally. I do have issues with communicating what is in my head and my memory is far from great so I sometimes say something and end up finding the person heard somehting completely different and I try to explain that wasn't the case but it's hard. It's specially hard not to ghaslight people in arguments when you are pressured, though that particular one is one I am hardly ever the perpetrator. Several times over I am discussing stuff with people and they are just downright ignoring two thirds of what they or I say in favor of what their strawmans are and then I have to go back (when that is even possible) and check because I question whether I ever even said the things I think I did because again, I do have a bad memory.

I have an inconveniently selective memory.
Sometimes I forget bad things I did or said and sometimes I forget things I was supposed to do.

And sometimes it's embarrassing.
yesterday morning I forgot my zip code, and for the life of me, I could not remember it. (I just realized I can't right now lol)
Unfortunately, I was filling out information for my PSAT.
I only remembered it when they pointed out something that had a really similar zip code to mine.

Another time I told a popular kid a joke and he ACTUALLY LAUGHED. Not just an amused exhale, a straight up laugh.
And then the other popular kids were like "What's so funny?"
And he was like "Just something [Sano] said..."
I had the opportunity to impress everyone; the popular kids, the cool kids, the teacher, etc.
POP I blanked and just sat there and smiled around the room as everyone stared at me.

I'll often have to ask mid-sentence what I was talking about again.

Sometimes I want to insult my brother further on a point but then I forgot what the original insult was so I kind of have to just break off.

Also school tends to get removed from my brain, especially mid-test.

Wait is accidentally stupid memory gas lighting
Now I think I'm lost...

I'M CONFUSED *FlOpS*

I have an inconveniently selective memory.
Sometimes I forget bad things I did or said and sometimes I forget things I was supposed to do.

And sometimes it's embarrassing.
yesterday morning I forgot my zip code, and for the life of me, I could not remember it. (I just realized I can't right now lol)
Unfortunately, I was filling out information for my PSAT.
I only remembered it when they pointed out something that had a really similar zip code to mine.

Another time I told a popular kid a joke and he ACTUALLY LAUGHED. Not just an amused exhale, a straight up laugh.
And then the other popular kids were like "What's so funny?"
And he was like "Just something [Sano] said..."
I had the opportunity to impress everyone; the popular kids, the cool kids, the teacher, etc.
POP I blanked and just sat there and smiled around the room as everyone stared at me.

I'll often have to ask mid-sentence what I was talking about again.

Sometimes I want to insult my brother further on a point but then I forgot what the original insult was so I kind of have to just break off.

Also school tends to get removed from my brain, especially mid-test.

Wait is accidentally stupid memory gas lighting
Now I think I'm lost...

I'M CONFUSED *FlOpS*

>When you jokingly say that your life feels like a conspiracy but becomes true after you begin to make more and more connections

Anyways yeah.
Being a victim of psychological violence, I get how influence that can have on a person and when that person begins to make connections that feel contradictory to their previous knownlege things really can go downhill for a person. So yeah.

Just never use gaslighting tactics against anyone.

>When you jokingly say that your life feels like a conspiracy but becomes true after you begin to make more and more connections

Anyways yeah.
Being a victim of psychological violence, I get how influence that can have on a person and when that person begins to make connections that feel contradictory to their previous knownlege things really can go downhill for a person. So yeah.

Just never use gaslighting tactics against anyone.
I doubt I would intentionally... I certainly can't on here it's the internet XD
But I might have done it unintentionally; again, I have a really selective memory, sometimes in my favor, sometimes embarrassingly not.

I doubt I would intentionally... I certainly can't on here it's the internet XD
But I might have done it unintentionally; again, I have a really selective memory, sometimes in my favor, sometimes embarrassingly not.

It's a little more forgivable when you forget things unwillingly. People tend to make allowances for that, so long as you're honest and accept that the other person likely remembers a bit better than you (though be careful if it seems like the other person blames you excessively, because that is not good either).

In the instance I brought up earlier with my dad, he does not have a poor memory except with things that reflect badly on him. He's actually the go to guy if we need the answers to random questions (such as "why is it called pencil lead" or "what is this electronic part I found when cleaning up"). He's very dear to me, but it's hurtful that he "forgets" saying very pointedly hurtful things and never takes responsibility or apologizes for anything. Those things (and the fact that it's pretty common behavior) have built up to the point where it starts to become gaslighting.

It's a little more forgivable when you forget things unwillingly. People tend to make allowances for that, so long as you're honest and accept that the other person likely remembers a bit better than you (though be careful if it seems like the other person blames you excessively, because that is not good either).

In the instance I brought up earlier with my dad, he does not have a poor memory except with things that reflect badly on him. He's actually the go to guy if we need the answers to random questions (such as "why is it called pencil lead" or "what is this electronic part I found when cleaning up"). He's very dear to me, but it's hurtful that he "forgets" saying very pointedly hurtful things and never takes responsibility or apologizes for anything. Those things (and the fact that it's pretty common behavior) have built up to the point where it starts to become gaslighting.
Oh... I see...
So...
Is it subjective where having a bad memory starts and gas lighting, purposely or not, begins?

I can relate a lot to the experiences you describe there though I have to say it's on both sides. I don't like it, but is is a fact I probably ghastlight people but I don't do it intentionally. I do have issues with communicating what is in my head and my memory is far from great so I sometimes say something and end up finding the person heard somehting completely different and I try to explain that wasn't the case but it's hard. It's specially hard not to ghaslight people in arguments when you are pressured, though that particular one is one I am hardly ever the perpetrator. Several times over I am discussing stuff with people and they are just downright ignoring two thirds of what they or I say in favor of what their strawmans are and then I have to go back (when that is even possible) and check because I question whether I ever even said the things I think I did because again, I do have a bad memory.

People tend to be manipulative by nature. It's a survival tactic because feeling wrong can be damaging to one's self esteem. But it's possible to counteract your behavior if you feel like you tend to gaslight people. Look at the behavior you think might be hurtful to the other person and consider how you might change it.

For instance, if someone says "you said X and it hurt my feeling", don't say "No I didn't!" or "I never said X. You probably weren't listening/didn't hear me". What is (in most situations) a more healthy and constructive response is to say "I don't remember saying that, I'm sorry. That was a terrible things to say and I won't say it again." You don't have to admit to saying things that you don't remember saying, but at least take responsibility for what the person remembers you saying. They might remember better, or they might be misremembering, but the feelings are real and the best way to deal with that is to treat it as it is said to have happened. Apologies don't cost anything if you don't tie them down to your sense of pride or self esteem, and they go a long way in deescalating the situation. It can be hard, but I can say from experience that it's a much nicer response to receive and it works well when I use it myself.

(Though that being said, no one should martyr themselves, because it's frustrating for a different reason. "It's all my fault!" Or "Yeah I must've said that, I'm a terrible person" and similar things are also manipulative. Take responsibility for helping the person feel better, without guilting then for getting upset or saying that they shouldn't be upset)

People tend to be manipulative by nature. It's a survival tactic because feeling wrong can be damaging to one's self esteem. But it's possible to counteract your behavior if you feel like you tend to gaslight people. Look at the behavior you think might be hurtful to the other person and consider how you might change it.

For instance, if someone says "you said X and it hurt my feeling", don't say "No I didn't!" or "I never said X. You probably weren't listening/didn't hear me". What is (in most situations) a more healthy and constructive response is to say "I don't remember saying that, I'm sorry. That was a terrible things to say and I won't say it again." You don't have to admit to saying things that you don't remember saying, but at least take responsibility for what the person remembers you saying. They might remember better, or they might be misremembering, but the feelings are real and the best way to deal with that is to treat it as it is said to have happened. Apologies don't cost anything if you don't tie them down to your sense of pride or self esteem, and they go a long way in deescalating the situation. It can be hard, but I can say from experience that it's a much nicer response to receive and it works well when I use it myself.

(Though that being said, no one should martyr themselves, because it's frustrating for a different reason. "It's all my fault!" Or "Yeah I must've said that, I'm a terrible person" and similar things are also manipulative. Take responsibility for helping the person feel better, without guilting then for getting upset or saying that they shouldn't be upset)
I'll take that under advisement

I've had a few moments like this, mostly from a friend when he tells me I misspoke. Issue's that I slur my words a lot and DO misspeak quite often, but he fucks with me, so I'm never entirely sure which it is. I've really only found it annoying though.

But otherwise...

Behold, the D3: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61dNA4uQaGL._SY355_.jpg
One of our most pointless creations.

Yeah, it's unfair and manipulative of him to take advantage of the fact that you're inclined to believe him if he says you misspoke. The fact that he's fucking with you means that you can't always take him at his word that you actually misspoke, but he's got the advantage in a way that makes you doubt yourself at least a little. That's gaslighting behavior, particularly side he goes out of his way to mess with you since it's hard to prove that's what he's doing. If it gets to be too much, I recommend telling him to stop correcting or calling you out on it because it's excessive. Either he understands you or he doesn't, but at the point he stops being honest you don't really owe him anything. (Though that's your friend, so I have no idea of the sort of context that exists in. Still, even if you mutually fuck with each other though, you can still tell him to stop if it gets too frustrating. But if you can handle it then just be mindful of your limits, and look out for a point that it becomes more annoying than you want to put up with)

But yeah, D3s are crazy and pointless. But the fact that it was somewhat plausible to make one through wonky carving made me go along with the claim (although it ended up being him intending to about something much more plausible)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back