Other friends or not ?

auj-blake

when it comes down to it, do you prefer to make friends with your RP partner, or do you prefer to keep it strictly about the roleplay ? explain why.

For me personally, I'm always up for strengthening my bond with my partner, because to me becoming their friend gives me more of an opportunity to know what it is exactly they want, and there is more room to be open and explore creatively. Especially if the Roleplay is gonna be long term, I would begin feeling awkward after a while if we hadn't had a few conversations by then about things outside the RP. But if it comes down to it I'm fine with just being active with each other in the story line.

I might want to be friends with a partner, but not right away, because I would want to make sure we hadn't already made a misunderstanding because we're communicating purely on the internet. There is no worse ignominy than investing a ton of yourself into another person if you haven't made certain preliminary measures first.

Sometimes, I don't even get to RP with my partners, but I always try to be their friend. The community is, to me at least, an important part of the experience, and I think that making the other person happy, trying to get more comfortable, trusting with them, and trying to really understand them better are all benefits to a positive and fulfilling roleplay experience for all parties involved. Plus, establishing friends/allies/contacts is always a benefit in any scenario.

I love making friends with people. Often I’ll be friends with people long after the roleplay is over or even if our writing styles don’t mesh. I talked to one girl for several years I think we did maybe one roleplay in that time that got more than three posts in.

But I enjoyed talking to her about her life and we both geeked out over shared interests.

If I don’t feel like I’m connecting to my partner I tend to get bored easily ( unless I’m doing like a SUPER craving )

But even then I find it boring when the only response I get from someone is a rePly

General General What on earth gave you that idea? No.... no one is here. You see nothing, hear nothing. We do not exist.

I do not mind forming a friendship with a roleplay partner, but experience shows that partners in roleplay do not always last. I think it's mostly because people have difficulty communicating on a one-to-one scale. I've had many good roleplays or roleplay dabbles, and have met many fascinating and good people... but friendships are hard to come by in it. No matter how much I talk with my roleplay partners, we do not surpass the friend stage. That's fine with me, if they would rather be distant and work on a story with me, cool. If they want to talk and need someone to listen or advise or what have you, cool. I'm all for making friends, but it does not happen nearly enough.

I get as intimate as I can with people in real life and it still falls apart. I doubt that out of nowhere, in the internet, I will find what I'm looking for. Calling anybody on here a friend would imply that I have decided I can no longer get what I really want. That's just pathetic. If anything, it is that I'm using people on here to be a better communicator where it matters. That is, if what I'm doing matters at all and is not just self-satisfaction.

I think I would much rather be friends with who I am writing with. I think it builds a certain bond and can make it easier to bounce ideas off of.
But, I guess it depends on who you are plotting with because I have come a crossed some people who don't want any personal relationships, but I guess it is to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back