Idea "Free Roam" Style RPG

Shireling

A Servant of King and Country
I keep finding that I have a hard time getting into a good group roleplay because I never seem to either be able to get a good group together or join one already in progress. I came up with an idea that might be able to remedy my problem, and similar issues of malaise in the community. Sometimes you just want to get into something! Thus, here is the idea:

Cold Harbor, Maine (it's a stock setting of mine) is a fictional port city on the Atlantic Coast known for its dreary weather, biting cold, and chronic violent crime. The island city is somewhat isolated from the rest of the country, and thus has developed a seedy subculture that has given rise to a hardnosed, cynical population.

In the 19--'s (it's left ambiguous, but think aesthetically 1970's but with Motorola flip phones) a generation of up and coming youngsters begin beating the pavement. These are the player characters. Once someone makes a character, they're free to do whatever it is they want to do within the setting. It can be a good way for newer players to join and learn from more veteran roleplayers, or for veterans to practice their writing.

The characters start out poor with like a knife. They can do contracts for certain NPCs and get...stuff. I don't really know at this point. Some of them I'm sure will be able to join the police force and then they can antagonize each other. Most free roam RPGs are like that.

The advantages of such a system are myriad, of course there are also some drawbacks. One big advantage is that you don't have to have the whole group together to go through a plot arc. It might just be Bob and Jim doing whatever down by the Waterfront. It also frees the GM up assuming that the player characters don't have to be micromanaged.

On the other hand, if everyone wanted some sort of big plot arc to come into play, the GM could easily organize an event for everyone who wants to participate.

Furthermore, the idea of levelling where the players get better stuff as they do more stuff in the roleplay (and hopefully become better writers in the process if they weren't already decent) prevents you from having the random noob with a chainsaw katana and a rocket launcher.

Some downsides, yes I realize this is a very similar premise to the Grand Theft Auto franchise. I began working on this premise with a focus on realism. Basically, I asked myself what was the best way to have essentially blank slate characters that can run around a do whatever. And I figured the best solution was to drop random people in a city somewhere with a dollar in their pocket and the option to do whatever from that point. I figured the focus would be on crime and punishment, because lets face it we all want to live dangerously.

Unlike a video game, I would like to focus on realism in relation to the character's actions having consequences. If they kill an NPC, that NPC is permanently dead in the canon. That way, the roleplayers feel like they actually have some input in setting and how it's formed. But also, I planned to realistically portray law enforcement. Likewise if you mug a lady and steal a car, you're definitely gonna wanna lay low for a while.

I've talked a lot about the idea as if it is a gritty crime drama, and that's what it's sort of meant to be, but to be honest I assume the characters can do anything I just don't think the life of an accountant would be very interesting. Anyways, tell me what you think. Comments, questions, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've been in RPs very similar to this, and generally, the GM only provides story arcs every now and again. The players provide everything else, building towns and places as they need to progress their own characters. I love this style of RP, but I would imagine you would need the old Hosted RP style to do it; give players the ability to keep all the RPs in one place, have some open ones, some private ones, and generally let them loose!

That is how I have always RPed; coming here and doing random RPs all over with different stories was a learning curve!!

I've been in RPs very similar to this, and generally, the GM only provides story arcs every now and again. The players provide everything else, building towns and places as they need to progress their own characters. I love this style of RP, but I would imagine you would need the old Hosted RP style to do it; give players the ability to keep all the RPs in one place, have some open ones, some private ones, and generally let them loose!

That is how I have always RPed; coming here and doing random RPs all over with different stories was a learning curve!!
Yes, that's true. I was tossing around the idea of this being a hosted project, thinking that would probably be best. But I could certainly figure out another system.

I think doing a hosted style like this would make a really nice change of pace to a lot of the RPs I find here. I'm working my way to 250 posts so maybe I can do the same :) I prefer more fabtasy based worlds though :)

I think doing a hosted style like this would make a really nice change of pace to a lot of the RPs I find here. I'm working my way to 250 posts so maybe I can do the same :) I prefer more fabtasy based worlds though :)
I don't remember the process you have to go through now to make a hosted project. Before I make an HP I definitely need to garner a lot of interest.

If this is an interest check in disguise, I'm interested.
Ha, to be honest it's both an interest check and a "let's put this thing together" thread.

So, gents ( Malhyanth Malhyanth , and Tedronai Tedronai ), I have several ideas after brainstorming this for a while. These pertain to what the world will look like and how we develop it.

The game will have a GM, but it will also have between one and three "loremasters." They are responsible for several things.

1. They propose ideas for weapons, gameplay elements, and NPCs to the GM for him to decide what gets to be canon.

2. They propose ideas for "contracts" (that's what I'm calling them for now, basically quests) that the NPCs can give out, the plot arc involved, and the rewards. The GM has final say-so, but generally the loremasters will get their way.

3. They serve as co-GMs to help run the world, specifically in an area of the world that they are assigned to. Not only can they control the NPCs found there, they also fabricate the history and current status of their territory. They essentially craft the world of the game, and can be as detailed as they like. For example, providing pictures of uniforms for that area's emergency services, thinking up different gangs, the structure of the city government, etc. If this becomes a feature of the RP, I will likely make the setting a "county" so that each loremaster can craft their own municipalities.

Well, that's a cool idea and all, but I'm not for doing it. Co-GM 'plans' always fuck up.

I think you should just keep it simple and tyrannical, but you're the boss.

At this rate, it will probably only come out by summer, but I´ve actually worked on something like this for about 17 months. Then a bunch of crap happened to my laptop, I was unable to work on it for some time and before I knew it I had to put the whole project on hold right when I was near finishing it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back