Other For Honor

Eye of Nowhere

Lost Prophecy
So, I saw For Honor got its release. What strikes me as odd about the game is the combat. It reminds me of an equally hyped combat system years ago in Age of Conan, which worked somewhat in the same way with directional blocking.  People hated it back then, but seem to be ok with it or even love it now.  

So, I have a question for people who've bought the game.  Are the combat controls fluid enough?   Or, does it all require a bunch of button mashing to be on time for attacks/blocks?

In my opinion its a great game, with a unique combat system. Or at least, unique to me since I haven't played any fighting game that has a similar combat system as For Honor's. Some people I know have complained about the $60 price of the game, but to me I feel like its worth it. The controls are very fluid. If you're going into the game with your typical button-mashing fighter game attitude, you're probably going to get your arse whooped. For Honor is all about patience. 

Oh, yeah, patience is a must! I almost stopped playing Conqueror the other day because I literally had no sleep the last couple of days and had the wonderful idea to go dueling.

One massive losing streak later I decided to take a nap, come back and play Dominion to learn the Conqueror a bit more. Now it's my favorite and highest ranked class because I had the patience to stick with it and learn.

Think of it as mortal combat mixed with darksouls, darksouls is all about patience and timing while mortal kombat has those combos. Mix that together, put in the oven for about 15 minutes or until cake looks ready, and ding! For honor soufflé! 

Its a great game and overall a blast to play, it can be pretty competitive at times but I have tons of fun on the game. I was one of the alpha and beta testers for it and I will tell you I had fun nonstop playing the game and now that it's fully released I can relax and play it for as long I want whenever I want

I love it aside from cancerous players and classes (hybrids and shields need to burn in hell >.>) but I put 16 hours into the open beta and plan to do way more when I buy the full game. I think I was drawn to it by not only how unique the combat system was, but how close it was to Dark Souls. Hell, once I told myself to play it as if I'm being invaded, I probably did 60% better or more.

The one thing that worries me is how unpolished the beta was. Load times, connection issues, etc. Yeah one can argue that it was a beta, but it was a few days before the game was releasing. Making you wonder if Ubisoft tried to cram in as many fixes and patches as possible or if they do what they always do. That being shrug, wait for major complains, and then fix. 

Regardless, fucking love that game.

It's a great game mechanically. The movement feels great and fights always seem to be won on skill (or samurais with no honor)

The reason I did not, and probably will not buy it is because of ubisoft. The beta was terrible server wise running on uplay and it was only a few days before release, plus peer to peer. Ubisoft has a track record for leaving game servers broken and uplay is just about the worst thing on the pc.

It's a shame because i have a lot of respect for the actual game and it's devs.

I tried it out. Seems decent. (Couldn't actually finish a round of dominion die to connectivity issues), but the block/attack system seems interesting (will try more after my trip.) 

Samurai for life!!

In regards to connection, I just do bot matches matchmaking turned off, it's still equally fun either way, and I don't have to worry about crappy teammates or cheating enemy players 

The way I play, I don't really use to scheme of the blocking mechanics to defend myself. I use the Warden, who is quick enough to dodge, but has a strong enough hit to take on any character in brute strength. I usually dodge the attacks and then shove the attacker. 

I've been playing it, the combat system is overall pretty good but it has it's issues. Guardbreak is really strong so a lot of fights revolve around it, however if you get the counter timing down it's not the worst thing in the world. As others have said the server issues are really frustrating to deal with. All in all I've gotten my money out of it and enjoy it despite it's issues.

I use conqueror, been using him since the alpha, amazing character, attacks are a wee bit slow but time it correctly you're good

For Honor has a great and functional combat system. What struck me about the game is that, while every character uses the same basic system of combat, somehow they've managed to give all of them a markedly unique fighting style. For instance, I can expect certain characters to wait for me to attack before blocking/ parrying all of it, then returning with a volley of blows in every direction. My preferred character is the Raider, who has a predictable progression of attacks, but can catch opponents off guard with guard breaks and ridiculously long throws. I really fail to see any standing issues with the combat, the only problem i witness is that guard breaks sometimes interrupt attack animations that they aren't supposed to interrupt, this could be fixed in future updates. I suppose with any game, the community is the worst aspect. For instance, in a 4x4 battle by entire team has died, but I have defeated my opponent. I would love it if the three people I'm facing would allow me the decency to fight them one at a time, but instead they maul me endlessly from every direction. The game is called FOR HONOR. You should get reduced points for ganging up on someone, or some sort of built in mechanic that rewards duels as opposed to slaughters.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Honor has a great and functional combat system. What struck me about the game is that, while every character uses the same basic system of combat, somehow they've managed to give all of them a markedly unique fighting style. For instance, I can expect certain characters to wait for me to attack before blocking/ parrying all of it, then returning with a volley of blows in every direction. My preferred character is the Raider, who has a predictable progression of attacks, but can catch opponents off guard with guard breaks and ridiculously long throws. I really fail to see any standing issues with the combat, the only problem i witness is that guard breaks sometimes interrupt attack animations that they aren't supposed to interrupt, this could be fixed in future updates. I suppose with any game, the community is the worst aspect. For instance, in a 4x4 battle by entire team has died, but I have defeated my opponent. I would love it if the three people I'm facing would allow me the decency to fight them one at a time, but instead they maul me endlessly from every direction. The game is called FOR HONOR. You should get reduced points for ganging up on someone, or some sort of built in mechanic that rewards duels as opposed to slaughters.

You do get rewarded for duels. If you fight someone 1v1 you get an "honorable" reward. So, if you kill someone you might get 25 points. If you kill them "honorably" in a 1v1 you get an additional 10 points. It's just most people take the stance that it's a team mode and if you want to 1v1 you have to go to duel or even Brawl. You wont find any 1v1s in elim, skirmish, or dominion that's for sure.

You do get rewarded for duels. If you fight someone 1v1 you get an "honorable" reward. So, if you kill someone you might get 25 points. If you kill them "honorably" in a 1v1 you get an additional 10 points. It's just most people take the stance that it's a team mode and if you want to 1v1 you have to go to duel or even Brawl. You wont find any 1v1s in elim, skirmish, or dominion that's for sure.

It happens occasionally. I certainly never interfere in a fight if I come across one in skirmish or elim. I understand wanting to win the round, but because the system of fighting is so limited to battling one at a time I just think it would be more fun and suspenseful if people let each other duel it out instead of sprinting away to go stab an enemy in the back mid duel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back