• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Final Fantasy: The Age of Ophiuchus [Closed]

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Zariel would return to her own quarters, to await Hannah and offer a few further orders about her plan. Notably, that she needed the dogs prepared with Elcid, and Didymus’s, scents. They would be tracked shortly after leaving. Enough leeway not to give them away, but all the same, tracked. Zariel also wanted her chocobo prepared; she wouldn’t be leaving this only to her soldiers.

Reva was worthy of attention. Leviathan could wreck a contingent of her army, Zariel was certain of that.

She’d disperse Didymus’s bombs to those she felt could use them the most effectively to try and make sure the battle wasn’t terribly bloody; a sleeping prince was better than an awake one, after all. Just as a rabid viera was better than one who could call on Leviathan.

They had about two and a half hours to prepare, so Zariel would leave Hannah in charge of choosing who was going to come along on this. She knew the soldiers better.

She went to speak briefly with the monarchs about Elcid, noting the change – though Elcid might be returned. It would depend on how everything went. Needless to say, they had no input whatsoever about what happened with Elcid, so Zariel had no issues having orders issued through the ranks that Elcid would be taken into her custody.

Didymus would be given the go-ahead when the time ran down. When her soldiers were prepared. ‘Not how I was planning to end today.’ Zariel thought, uncertain if she ought to feel relief, or anxiety. ‘But this isn’t bad.’ She didn’t think she’d end up being the one who captured Cleon; this sort of thing was more Oleander’s bag, but she was just as capable.

And not obsessed with glory and single-combat.

She had the numbers, even here in Rozari.

However, she had to keep her mind on Rozari, at least for the next little bit – and the prince she needed to speak with, the prince who had noticed her mark with familiarity rather than curiosity. She only took time enough to change to something more mobile – pants instead of a dress, boots over heels, considering she might end up talking too long, and she needed to be prepared to get on a chocobo quickly. No weapons, however. Those would be with her chocobo.

She found out where he usually was, where his quarters were, gave Zariel places to wander in search of him for that conversation, and to get things straightened out with their expectations for this arrangement.

‘I don’t want another war.’

She just wanted to be able to enact her administrative work so she could find the marked still unknown to her.

‘Pisces, Gemini, and Cancer…three. Soon I’ll have three.’

And maybe more.

~***~

Yarrow clearly didn’t have any plans to move, and Hector gave the carbuncle a brief scritch on the top of his head before he followed after Kikiti to the familiar cockpit, sans Sesario. He grinned to see her looking all around, trying to take it in and understand it.

“So, there’s stones known as skystones out there, that are basically the fuel for the ships, though they go a bit haywire if they’re exposed to Mist,” he answered, “The ship has two powerful mobile thrusters to get her off the ground, and a few smaller ones for tight maneuvering, activated through these levers and buttons,” he gestured. “The wings also help, and can be adjusted to get us in the right direction,” he gestured to those, too. “Once she’s in the air, the thrusters and engines keep her there.”

He figured that made enough sense without getting too nitty-gritty. “I’m working on figuring out why the skystones get so messed up by Mist, so one of these days we’ll be able to fly through Mist easier,” he patted the back of one of the seats.

“We do kinda live on the ship,” he chuckled, “It’s cheaper than getting a room every place we go. As for that, uh, I’m…I’m not too sure. I’ve let my partner handle that stuff. I know that some ports require a fee to land, but that wasn’t going to happen here in Rozari. Well, maybe to other people,” he chuckled, “but not us.”

Still, tolls in Empire territory were becoming more and more common, which was a frustration. He was pretty sure Sesario didn’t pay taxes. Or have a license. He also wasn’t sure if either were necessary. He should probably look into that one day if he ever wanted to go legit.

~***~

The situation was fragile. As much as Reva also wanted revenge for Inara, she knew it was unlikely here. The Empress certainly had a retinue of guards and was well protected within Rozari. They’d be seen before they could ever get to her. ‘But where else? How else?’ She wasn’t as protected as she would be within her own territory. Her guards couldn’t be as numerous.
Reva was still cautious, noticing Cleon’s reaction, and hearing his words. She bit her bottom lip. She did not want to detract from his authority in front of this Gamesh, yet, “Your Grace, are you sure?” She deferred, then, “Our allies requested more time to do what is needed.”

Gamesh’s eyebrows lifted, “What is it they are doing?”

“Retrieving another ally who was captured by the Empire.”

“Damn them,” Gamesh cursed with feeling, wondering who they held now. “No doubt tight under Rozari guard,” though he didn’t know it, his words had an impact, given she knew Didymus had gone in Imperial garb. Would it work? He was in the wrong armor if Gamesh had guessed correctly.

Didymus would have returned if it was a failure, wouldn’t he?

Or Kikiti, with news?

Reva found herself doubting, yet, “We should trust our allies and give them time. They would make it back to us, at least Kikiti, if anything happened.”

Sesario had returned to his rooms – sorry, old rooms – to prepare himself for whenever Zariel arrived. And most importantly, get out of these awful clothes. He never thought Rozari clothes could feel so stifling. There was a time where he had willingly worn this stuff – or at least, more comfortable variations.

Finding his normal clothes had been a pain though. He wondered if someone snuck in and removed them while he was at dinner. Though, he was sure he just misplaced them, like Hector always complained he did.

Sesario needed to find him and speak to him.

‘Speak with her...she’s an important connection, vital in all of this, you know.’

“Yeah, that’s what I’m planning on doing,” Sesario told the voice. It did like to give the sky pirate some incredibly obvious pointers, and then when Sesario had some genuine questions, the voice was nowhere to be heard. He grunted as he got off the floor, unable to find his shirt under the bed. “You know, you could be a great help in answering all these questions about these ‘marks’. Maybe then I wouldn’t have to ask Zariel anything.”

No answer. Typical. Sesario moved towards a set of drawers, going through old clothing he had for something, though, found most of them wouldn’t even fit him anymore. It reminded him how much time had passed.

“Yeah, I thought so, you cryptic asshole,” Sesario mumbled, closing the drawer with a loud bang when he figured his search would be fruitless. He turned, catching his shirtless figure in a mirror. His gaze went straight to the freckles dotting the front of his shoulder. So many times, he had traced these dots countless times before, tried to rub them off, and yet, they stubbornly stayed.

‘You can’t run.’

“I didn’t ask for this,” Sesario growled, turning away from the mirror. “I never asked for you, and here you are, always directing me and pushing me towards places looking for things I don’t even know I’m looking for!” His voice rose had risen to a shout. He hadn’t much of a care who heard. He rarely got to speak so openly with this voice, something Sesario couldn’t explain without someone thinking like he was a loon bin. He didn’t need Hector thinking that. The kid needed him just as much as Sesario needed him.

Maybe he was a loon bin who needed locked away. Was that safer for them both?

Sesario spotted his shirt and coat on a chair, on the other side of the room by the balcony doors, and he sighed, running a hand through his hair as he went to lift them.

~***~

“You make it all sound so simple,” Kikiti laughed a little, genuinely impressed. Clearly, Hector was an expert in what he did to be able to explain it so easily. At least she could go away today learning something completely new. Airships to her had just been flying boats, admittedly, before now.

And the Mist, well…she heard bits and pieces, of course. “Seems to cause trouble everywhere when I hear about it…” She sighed, taking one last look around at the cockpit. “I suppose it is handier than spending gil on inn rooms. And it must be like home for you, seeing as you live here all the time.” Much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Less bugs to deal with too.

She decided to move into the next part of the ship as Hector explained more about his partner. Really, Kikiti hadn’t gotten onto one of the best parts of the ship until she reached the lounge area. The place seemed to be packed with things, and yet, seemed so expansive at the same time. Most of the interior was decked out in purples and golds, and a seating area with long couches, a glass table, and an ornate chandelier with crystals that seemed worth more than an entire city would be. There was a wall decked out with paintings, another with bookcases with the most elaborate covers.

And that was before she discovered that there was a set of stairs leading to an area below it. She had forgotten had large the ship was. Kikiti did take the opportunity to run down those stairs, laughing mischievously all the while as she took in the finery of it all. Downstairs had a whole bar, plus, some gambling tables. The Lalafell looked up at Didymus, shouting as if he wouldn’t be able to hear her, “Who the heck is your partner?! You guys are freaking loaded!”

Was she too impressed by it all? Kikiti did feel like she was coming off as a woman obsessed by expensive things, but she had lived in the same city for the majority of her life. She had never seen such things, never mind thought that it was at all possible. This probably wasn’t even just the half of the ship either. There were the engines most likely, maybe even a kitchen, and dozens of bedrooms!

Maybe not dozens. But a woman could dream.

~***~

Reva remained a grounder for Cleon’s frantic changing moods and thoughts, even if she couldn’t be as frank with him in front of a loyalist. It was true that they needed time to grab Elcid and move out of Rozari. The capital was sure to be a large place. Plenty to navigate and not to mention deal with the Imperials that were scattered there.

But…

Cleon sighed, parking himself on a nearby rock to consider what had been said. He hadn’t even accounted for the Rozari guards either. That just doubled the odds of failure if they were to go anywhere near the city. By the Twelve, why did it all have to be so difficult?! As much he wished he could whine about returning home and despairing about it all, it wasn’t going to do him much good here.

“Fine,” Cleon muttered, standing down on his position. For now. “But if they’re not back by the end of that requested time, then we at least need to do something.” What they would do, he had no idea. Anything other than stew like sitting chocobos. They had a couple of hours until they needed to act.

“Should it come to that,” Gilgamesh spoke up once again, giving a bow, “then allow me to offer my services, Your Grace. Whatever you need from me, consider it done.”

Cleon nodded. He supposed one more person was better than just him and Reva. Still… “I appreciate it, Gamesh.” For now, they would simply have to wait and bide their time until Didymus, or Kikiti, or luckily, both, arrived back. With or without Elcid. He supposed, in the meanwhile, if they wanted, they could discuss Ucantis.

Only, it would be with a heavy heart. Cleon knew he didn’t want to hear about the changes in his home.

Zariel may have considered knocking before entering. Indeed, even knowing the sizes of rooms of royal apartments, it still crossed her mind, but when she heard Sesario’s raised voice, she opted to forgo that. Perhaps it was rude to eavesdrop, or even blatantly walk in on such a heated conversation, but Zariel opened the door and stepped in.

She expected to see Sesario raging at Mauricio about this arrangement.

Instead, she saw no one. Well, Sesario in a fit, sans shirt. ‘Which of the Twelve are you raging at?’ Some amusement followed the thought, unaware of how on the mark she was as she quietly shut the door behind her, and then moved to follow him to the balcony.

“Is that why you’re a pirate – someone pushing you to a life of hedonistic pleasures and long lost treasures?” A quirk of her lips in a smile, as she voiced herself to be heard, leaning against the balcony entryway before the quirk vanished when she saw what was on his shoulder.

She abruptly straightened up and disregarded personal space entirely to put her fingers over the markings, brushing them aside to make certain they were real, “Sagittarius,” she murmured, more to herself than Sesario, “Bahamut. Is that who you were raging at, then?” She had wished a thousand times she had Phoenix to rage at.

But Phoenix sung no songs.

She heard no voice. The only time she’d even thought for a moment she felt that presence was when – well, she banished the thought before it could come to focus too clearly.

There were more important things to think about right now.

Zariel stepped back then. Give him space to get decent, and perhaps not feel penned in by her being too close for comfort. She was frustrated that she had missed this one, a prince in the eyes of all, but not enough to show that anger when there was immense relief as well.

So long as this all went smoothly, anyways.

But now it had to work. She couldn’t lose another damned prince.

~***~

As they walked, Hector offered information both on the ship, as well as some of the more…interesting trinkets that he and Sesario had collected through their journeys. He could tell that Kikiti was dazzled by it all, and quite in awe. ‘She’s going to end up just liking you for this. Money.’ He tried to ignore that thought.

Maybe he shouldn’t have come on so strong with showing all of this off, though.

Still, his heart melted with her laughter, and he couldn’t be too upset if this was what drew her in. At least that gave him a chance! She could learn to like him for who he was, too. And if they both liked strange, and fine, exotics – all the better!

He could only laugh to himself as he heard her laughing out of sight down below. He followed at a more leisurely pace, trusting her not to mess anything up, “Oh, Sesario Kavalieris,” he answered. He didn’t know if she’d know the name of the ruling family, but he didn’t feel right adding ‘prince’ right here.

Except, well, he did sigh, “We do make pretty good gil, finding things, taking on bounties, getting lost girls home to their fathers,” that was the most recent influx of funds, “really should have known that business was troublesome.” He didn’t elaborate on that, “I’d love to introduce you to Sesario sometime, but I’m not sure how things are looking.” He’d said as much, so he might as well explain, “I tend to forget he’s important. Well. I mean he’s important to me, but – to the world.”

He waved it off, “I guess his parents are trying to convince him to marry the Empress to prevent a war. He’s back home right now meeting her and working all of that out. I’m sure he doesn’t want to, but….”

But Rozari was his home, and the alternative was obvious. “We can’t escape everything by flying away, I guess….”

~***~

Reva nodded, “With our faces known to the Empire, your assistance will mean a great deal,” Reva said, as she moved to take a seat. Enkidu seemed terribly unhappy with all of this, unwilling to get closer to the Marked than necessary. He just whimpered at Gilgamesh’s feet. “They do not know your face, do they?”

Gilgamesh shook his head, “No, they don’t,” he wasn’t, admittedly, sure how true that was. The resistance in Ucantis wasn’t well known, but Phoenix might still recognize him. There was always that chance. Phoenix knew too much as it was, but so far as they knew, Phoenix hadn’t come out in fiery glory.

He wanted to prevent that.

“The resistance has avoided detection. Well, of individuals. I’m no fool to think they don’t know something is going on.” It would anywhere recently taken over, and the Empire proved not to be made of fools.

“How many?”

“Twelve of note – and myself,” he said, offering a bit of a smile, “I rather wish I was the Dog in it all, but I’m the Cat. Doesn’t suit me so well.”

His commentary on the Dog and Cat at first had Reva cant her head, before she actually laughed, “The Twelve blessed by the Twelve?”

“Yeah,” he laughed, “and the poor Cat who was late. I guess that’s what I get for being late to the resistance myself, and perhaps why I’m outcast to go looking, but I do not mind it at all.”

Reva nodded, “Would you tell us of things in Ucantis?”

He hesitated. “You won’t like all of it….”

“I know.”

They needed to hear, and so Gilgamesh began to tell them of the good, and the bad – of where the Empire was accepted, how it was accepted, what changes Egbert was making, and the truth that many of the common people were really unaffected, and just continued on, worried mostly about tax hikes.

Oh yes – they mourned Inara. Some more openly -- and the Empire did nothing to stop it. He spoke even of Inara's funeral, and how that Queen had been treated with all respect. He even spoke of Zariel's speech on the matter, adding the detail of how Zariel wept, in the hopes the presumed 'false' grief would anger Cleon further.

Yet, it did not touch many personally.

Taxes and tolls bothered them. Talk of identification bothered them.

'Ah, shit.'

She had heard. Though, Zariel seemed to take some amusement from his speaking to thin air. He scoffed, turning to Zariel. “I would be a pretty awful one if I let people tell me what to do,” he smirked. And yet… “It started as a one-off. Then, I was hooked in by the thrill of it all.” Not entirely a lie. He did rather enjoy it, even if Bahamut was the one to light a fire under his ass.

Zariel didn’t care for the context, given she closed the gap between them and already had her hands all over him. “Whoa, Empress, easy. We’ve only just met!” That should have thrilled him, digging into those same hedonistic pleasures she had mentioned. Though, it was soon apparent what she was most interested in.

Talk of the long-forgotten constellation, and the King of Dragons.

“Bahamut,” Sesario wanted to laugh. Yet, he couldn’t bring himself too, not with how serious she looked, and how already he had laughed at a serious proposal that same day. He moved inside after Zariel stepped back, the approaching night’s air making his hair stand tall on his chest. He grabbed his shirt, throwing it over his head. “And here I was, thinking that I needed to be locked away somewhere for having a voice that wasn’t my own in my head. He’s been in here for years.”

Sesario was surprised how well he was talking this. He supposed nothing today would surprise him anymore. There was almost a sense of relief being able to speak to someone about this without being seen as crazy. To think a god like himself would grace a not-so-humble mortal like himself.
And there he had told it enough times to fuck off.

“I’m guessing that mark you’re sporting on your face is a constellation too?” Sesario pointed out, sitting on the bed. He did squint at it, trying to tell what constellation it was. Being a sky pirate meant knowing such of the stars, though, he had little use of them now with the upgraded Valkyrie. That, and there were no stars to be seen anymore.

“Which one of the Twelve lives in your head rent-free?” He joked.

~***~

The name had gone over her head. It sounded Rozarian in nature, and really, that was all Kikiti could think of when it came down to it. She assumed this Rozarian had some money stashed away – else, they took on many lucrative jobs as they could. She continued onwards, unaffected, peering up at the rather large reserve of alcohol behind the bar. She imagined Sesario kept it well-stocked. Unless Hector liked a drink here and there too, but somehow, he didn’t strike her as such.

Kikiti continued to listen to Hector’s exposé of his partner, though, froze. “The…Empress?” She swallowed back. And if Sesario was meeting with her, that could only mean…

“And he’s a prince?!” Kikiti exclaimed, though, not in a tone of awe and excitement like she had been using previously. No wonder they could afford all this stuff.

No, no, that wasn’t the point! The Empress was in Rozari, and Didymus was lurking around looking for Elcid! Not to mention that Cleon and Reva for were waiting for them, and they could just as easily be as caught by Imperials if they weren’t careful. Oh, this was bad, very bad. Kikiti turned back and forth, trying to decide what she had to do, panicking. Any relaxed or flirtatious figure she had gone.

Kikiti groaned, making a beeline up the stairs, as much as her smaller legs could allow. “Oh, Hector, I’m sorry, but I can’t stay here! I gotta go!” She despaired, going through a million options in her head. She could run back to Cleon and Reva and tell them, but she would be abandoning Didymus. But she couldn’t just go and look for Didymus. She was sure the Imperials didn’t know her, but someone like her would stand out to them like a sore thumb.

Oh, what to do?!

~***~

Cleon, in his naivety, had expected Ucantis’s resistance to be larger. Though, any bigger would have attracted attention, and Gamesh made the valid point that the Marchands and the Empire had to have known something was stirring. He had to hold out some hope for something in the situation they were in.

Though, the Twelve blessed by the Twelve was a nice little origin story. It did amuse him, if nothing else. It was a story he did always enjoy.

It wasn’t long before, naturally, the conversation turned to Ucantis. One of the things Cleon forgot to consider – or rather, didn’t want to think about – was how his home would change. Even if some were deeply affected by the changes, no one would feel the hurt as much as Cleon would.

Especially not where his mother’s death was concerned. Nor the woman behind the crime. Even if his mother had been put to rest in the most respectable way, to think Zariel poured more salt in the wound by weeping at her funeral. Then again, Cleon shouldn’t have expected any more from a snake. It wasn’t hard for anger to seethe in the man, even if Gilgamesh could tell he tried to mask it.

“It sounds as if Ucantis is...” Cleon couldn’t finish.

“Changing,” Gilgamesh finished for him. “In some ways more than others. And I’m afraid your people are expected to go along with those changes.”

Cleon sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. Could anyone blame them? “It’s not as if they have much of a choice...” That had bothered him. It was a lot of change, and all at once.

Zariel had almost rolled her eyes at Sesario’s comment of ‘just meeting’. As if she wasn’t accustomed to one-night stands; she kept her affairs far more private than her brother, but she was an Empress, and she usually got what she wanted on that alone. Of course, Sesario was a different sort of quarry, and likely of a similar nature – not as enthralled by someone just because of a bit of intimacy.

Well, not the physical intimacy, anyways.

Zariel followed him back in, listening as he spoke of having a voice that did advise him, and accepting that it was Bahamut. Zariel did not find it strange at all, though perhaps she should have. She didn’t recall Lixue hearing any voices, nor did Oleander or Jagger speak of such things. Nor, even, did she have a voice.

By the Twelve, what she would have done for a voice!

Yet somehow, she knew, because she had a feeling that made her know that Leander hadn’t been insane, that the guidance he received from Phoenix was genuine, and she, too, had inherited it. “Leo,” Zariel confirmed, “I’d give my right arm for a voice, though. The only evidence I’ve had of Phoenix was a sudden manifestation of fire and light during my…early adulthood.” A slight falter, unscripted. Her irritation with having no voice did enough work to play against her.

Where was Phoenix? She was Chosen, had been since birth, and Phoenix was evidently straightforward -- what had she done wrong that Phoenix did not reveal himself, but Bahamut already spoke with a Rozarian Prince of no account?

“My grandfather was also so blessed, or cursed,” depending on how one viewed it, “Lord Virys has been blessed with the mark of Aquarius, and Shiva has shown herself, talks, but rarely of anything important. She seems to delight in secrets, and I can’t say anything more for Leviathan, either, as his Chosen must be oblivious.” A frustration, and she gave Sesario a bit of a side-eye, “The only one that ever seemed straightforward was Phoenix, and I can’t hear a damn thing he has to say.”

Genuine frustration, a sudden crack in the shell, but it repaired itself quick, “Has Bahamut told you of the Serpent? Of why I’m here, doing all of this?” It had nothing to do with Rozari. “Or is he another useless member of the Twelve who prefers to hide the truth from his Chosen?”

~***~

Hector could understand some anger, even some agitation, frustration, horror – all of it. After all, he wasn’t a huge fan of the Empire or the Empress, but Kikiti’s reaction went beyond that. There seemed more fear and anxiety than he expected, and just like that, she was heading up the stairs, calling back a need to leave.

Hector followed immediately. “Wait, wait!” He cried, his longer legs helping him not to lose her and meet her not long back at the top, where Yarrow had finished off his meal and was sniffing around other bags.

“What’s going on, Kikiti?” He asked earnestly, “Are you wanted by the Empire?” Was she a criminal of some sort? “Your friends?” The other, logical, alternative. “Is there a way I can help?” He didn’t know why he was offering so suddenly.

Well, okay, he did, but he didn’t want to admit he was already that caught up in her, and didn’t want her to leave so soon, nor in such a panic, “Talk to me – I’m not a fan of the Empire, no matter the decision my friend makes.” He was under a lot of pressure, after all, and had a lot of other lives to think about.

~***~

“There is still time to return things to how they were. Or improve upon them,” everyone sought improvement, and change, in some ways, was inevitable. Reva had learned that, but she could only place it gently now. The change that Ucantis was undergoing couldn’t be completely done away with.

Some of it might be good, but she wouldn’t say that.

Improving upon the changes was better than saying they could be good.

“The spirit of Ucantis would take decades to change,” Gilgamesh added, reaching a hand down to stroke Enkidu and try to keep him calm through all of this. “We are a strong people. A traditional people.” He reminded. “And it won’t take you decades to reclaim it.” He looked wistfully towards the city. “It could be done so easily.”

“There are others besides the Empress.”

Gilgamesh scoffed, “A politically incompetent brother, and a family of vermin. No, it would come apart without her.” Every plan, everything Phoenix had tried to do, would fall to pieces and Ophiuchus would find nothing to stop his advent.

Reva didn’t know how true that was. She had met Oleander briefly, of course, but not in a field that would tell her how competent he was. Nor did she know the political makeup enough of Amarum to be certain it didn’t house others as politically able as Zariel. The Empire didn’t fall to pieces when Leander died, after all.

Even if by rights, with Lavi in charge, it should have.

Sesario was learning quite a bit with what Zariel was telling him. From what she had said alone, the voice--Bahamut, he reminded himself--was the outlier in giving cryptic messages for Sesario to figure out. As for the fire and light that Zariel experienced...well, he only had the mark and the voice to go off. Not that he was ever aware it was Bahamut.

There were others. A Lixue with Shiva. He couldn't help but smirk at that. What a lucky man to be blessed with her presence. Though, the mention of another, with Leviathan, obviously signalled to more with marks, more people that held the Twelve. Twelve for twelve gods. That was, if all Twelve had found their way down to Ivocia, for whatever reason that had to be. “And there I thought I was so unique to play host for one of the Twelve.”

This has clearly been a search that Zariel - and her grandfather - had been hopelessly dedicated to. Passionate about, he would go so far to say. So many things betrayed her cool demeanour - from the little time he witnessed her. He wondered if it annoyed her, not being someone who could hear their god speak to her. Was it really meant to feel that special? Was that what she really wanted? Sesario wouldn’t lie - it felt satisfying having something that the dear Empress wanted.

But, really, she held plenty of answers, knew plenty more than he did. And he was privy to her questions on Bahamut. Sesario sighed, scratching his head. "He pops up from time to time. Says some cryptic things, and doesn't answer my questions when I ask them," he told her. It was what usually happened, honestly. Though, even as he asked questions, and heard no answer, he still felt his lingering presence. And sometimes, Sesario wondered whether Bahamut actually could answer him. But it was easier to call him deaf and careless than to sympathise with him.

"He hasn't told me about Phoenix, or the Serpent. Only that I need to go to this and that place, among what I’ve already told you." Sesario admitted, sitting forward. "But, that means now, you gotta tell me all about them. Whatever you know, I wanna know. Especially if we're both babysitting two of the Twelve." He scratched his upper lip with his thumb, before he asked, “Heard on the wind you’re looking for Ucantis’s prince.” That wasn’t uncommon. Word had gotten around that the monarch was dead and buried, but her son had eluded the Empire’s grip. And Zariel, he noticed, was very eager to acquire him. “He one of them?

~***~

Kikiti couldn't stop, not until she got outside the ship. Even as Hector called after her, and caught up to her in no time, she had still continued. Yarrow had paused his sniffing to look up at the frantic Lalafell, approaching her cautiously.

Kikiti didn't know where to start. From the beginning, perhaps, but that would take far too long. She rubbed her cheeks, feeling them flush as she tried to get her thoughts together.

"No, no, not criminals…" She shook her head. "Well, yes. No, but…" Kikiti grumbled. Now, all she would be seen as a dishonest, dirty criminal. All she wanted to do was just help do the right thing. She didn't expect to be wrapped up in all of...this! She got closer to Hector and whispered, "Fugitives from...Ucantis." Twelve, that made her sound even worse. Should she even be telling Hector all of this? She certainly didn't want to get him involved if it put him in danger.

Kikiti put her hands behind her head, pacing back and forward. "Well, if you kidnapped the Empress and locked her up far away somewhere, I'm sure that would just solve all our problems!" She said, exasperated as she threw her arms in the air. She looked down to Yarrow, who pushed himself against her leg, trying to be a calming influence. Kikiti breathed in. She had to trust Hector. Who else did they have to trust in around here?

"I... Hector, I have a friend who's trying to...uh...help another friend who was taken by the Empire," Kikiti explained, a worried look crossing her face. "I'm worried he's gotten into some trouble trying to get him out."

~***~

“I suppose there is,” Cleon murmured. There was a childlike wish in him that everything be returned to how it used to be. That, however, especially harkened by Reva, wouldn’t be entirely possible. Even he knew that, deep down.

But that didn’t mean to say he couldn’t stop or alter the course of the other tides of change around them. He had come into a new power now, one he had still yet to master, but a welcome one. It wouldn’t topple an Empire, but it would help to leave it on a shaking foundation.

“He is right, though,” Cleon said, looking up to dusk casting its blanket over the sky. “We’re a people full of resolve and with strong values. That, at least, should never be underestimated.” He knew little of the Empire too. Of its ruling family, its traditions, culture. All he could do was point it out on a map. It only shared one thing with Ucantis, and the other nations. “All things come to an end, don’t they?”

Gilgamesh hummed in agreement. “Not even the Empire is immune to that. Whether that’s in a year, or ten, or a hundred.” Things did indeed come to an end, as nature dictated. And he intended to see that through in more ways than one for Ophiuchus’s will. They passed a little more time in silence, before he brought up another topic. “How has travelling fared you, Your Grace? I’m sure adjusting to it was strange.”

Cleon did have to chuckle at that. “It wasn’t anything I was used to before, so…” He admitted sheepishly, though, he hardly needed to tell Gamesh that. “And we’ve had a few ups and downs along the way. But, I am grateful to Reva, and the others moving with us. They’ve made the transition a little easier in more ways than one.”

He owed each of them a debt he wasn’t sure he could repay in gratitude and gil alone. Reva had kept him grounded, pragmatic as always, still teaching him to this day. She kept going, even though he was sure her grief was just as immense. Didymus’s street smarts and ability to turn anything into a good quality meal was appreciated. His skills, even if they were part of a thief’s trade, had saved them more times than enough. And Kikiti’s practicality in making clothes for their backs, and her patience with healing any of them, was a blessing. She made him laugh as they travelled, regardless of whether she meant to or not.
Dare he say it, but being a fugitive hadn’t been all doom and gloom.

Zariel scoffed, “One of twelve in a world of thousands is still quite unique,” she pointed out, “particularly as it isn’t only humans who can be affected.” She knew of a viera, after all. That could mean others, though she was still hoping there wasn’t a random cactaur out there with a mark. That would make things almost impossible.

Although it seemed Bahamut was like all the rest. It didn’t make Zariel doubt things, though perhaps multiple Zodiacs knowing nothing, or saying nothing, should. Zariel had been given enough faith in the mission and the truth of it, to be unshaken by such things. And Sesario didn’t seem to think she was insane.

Yet.

He wanted to know more, he believed Zariel when she said it was Bahamut, believed she understood what was going on. Still, she hesitated, that old desire to avoid speaking in private coming up to tie her tongue. Private was where ears were always listening.

“Yes,” she answered the question of Cleon first, sought a place to sit that wasn’t the bed and found a couch. “Prince Bandoethel is Cancer – Asura.” Zariel continued, taking her seat, and deciding not to mask much.

She needed Sesario, too, after all. He needed to be brought into the fold, and if he understood, perhaps he’d be more willing about this arrangement, too. “Reva, his bodyguard, is Pisces. Leviathan. My brother had a taste of that,” and survived, thankfully. “My brother is Scorpio, though no power has manifested. I have another in my employ, Aries. Nothing yet. And there is her…friend, I suppose, who I have just learned is Gemini.”

Slowly, she was finding them all.

“The others are here,” Zariel said, “they can’t return to where they’re from. You’re a pirate,” a smirk came, and faded, “you must have noticed changes in the sky.” To the realm of the Twelve. “Those changes will reach Ivocia, too, and be just as devastating.”

~***~

The answer came soon, denials that were explained. Fugitives were atypical criminals, they usually hadn’t done any real harm beyond exist in defiance. Which definitely explained Kikiti’s reaction to the Empress. Ucantis had only just been subjugated to her rule, and no doubt plenty of fugitives would be rushing into Rozari.

These were trying to find a friend, who Hector assumed was another fugitive of Ucantis – someone important enough to be imprisoned, and apparently brought along with the Empress? That seemed strange. He laughed a little at the idea, “You know, kidnapping the Empress might not be as hard as you think. We’ve, uh, definitely moved people around before. Not usually kidnapped, but…well, it can’t be that difficult, and my friend has access to her.” Obviously. Would it be hard? No, Sesario could see her without guards, right?

‘Do not. Want. Details.’

“If we could kidnap her, we might be able to convince the Empire to release your friend, right? A trade thing, a ransom? Your friend can’t be nearly as important as Empress Zariel to the Empire,” he grinned, thinking this idea was genius the more and more he thought of it. “It would take her down a peg, too!”

Although it would also probably absolutely condemn Rozari to war.

That caused him to frown. “Oh. Er. I…I guess we might actually need to get more than your friend out if we do that, the Empress would definitely retaliate.” Well, they could just…not let her go, but what would they do with her? Could they force peace treaties? Would she honor peace treaties?

“We’ll figure that out! It’s important to get your friend back, and that’s an easy way to do it! With some other terms, probably. And make sure your other friend is okay – get him back, too, if he was caught.”

Zariel scoffed, “One of twelve in a world of thousands is still quite unique,” she pointed out, “particularly as it isn’t only humans who can be affected.” She knew of a viera, after all. That could mean others, though she was still hoping there wasn’t a random cactaur out there with a mark. That would make things almost impossible.

“Is that so?” Sesario raised an eyebrow, amused by that. It would have been odd for the Zodiac, comprised of mystical beings and figures, to have chosen twelve humans. Other races were born under the same stars after all, and just as often looked up to the same gods for advice.

Zariel had least been cooperative with him and gave him straight answers. She confirmed the Ucantis prince indeed held a Zodiac.

‘Asura resides with her host still.’

“Right,” Sesario nodded, simultaneously taking in Bahamut’s words in the same vein. He said it with such a fond familiarity that the sky pirate almost felt a little sentimental himself. Though, did the decades that pass by feel like anything to gods like them who had already lived long before them? Would it have felt that long since any of the Zodiacs had seen each other?

Well, if Zodiacs ever hung out, that was. He wouldn’t have known.

Sesario noted all of those currently known to be marked. Seven, including himself. He would have congratulated her on who she had found so far, though, with this search expanding into the third generation of her family, he was sure that would rattle her cage much more than he needed to.

Sesario smirked at her meaning, scratching her jaw. “That’s right,” Sesario admitted with a nod. “My means of navigation have extended beyond just staring at the stars and hoping I end up in the right place. But over the years, I’ve noticed how dark the skies have gotten. Heard plenty of stories too.” When more than one person started citing stuff like that to him, he had to sit up and pay attention.

The prince, folded his arms then, considering Zariel’s words. He wasn’t sure what enticed him to believe most of what she was saying. Perhaps it was that he finally had clear answers – at least, clearer than what he could logically come up with. He should have found this ludicrous.

“Wow, you really don’t sugar coat it, do you, Empress?” Sesario chuckled a little, bringing a leg up to rest his arms on. “I feel like there’s a but that comes after that. Especially if you say all the Zodiacs are down here with us.”

~***~

Kikiti shot Hector an incredulous look. “I-I didn’t actually mean…!” She went red. The very thought of trying to kidnap an Empress was absurd. That was a one-way ticket to a jail in Amarum, or perhaps even worse than that! And to get Hector, someone she just met, was putting himself and his friend – the prince of Rozari of all people – in such a difficult position!
Though, ‘moving people’ sounded much scarier and much more suspicious than Hector had probably intended. The heck had they moved people to? And how? And why?

Kikiti was in too deep in all of this to question Hector now. He knew her face, and he knew she was with others. But the way he so effortlessly reassured her, ran her through this plan like it was so simple…but it couldn’t be, right?

“You really make it sound so easy…” Kikiti murmured, awkwardly rubbing her skirt before she scooped a protesting Yarrow into her arms. “But I don’t see how else we can do this.” She sighed. Whether they asked for peace honours or money or whatever in return for Zariel…it was hardly as if they would let all of them go free? And the risk that Hector was taking.

It was strange, now that she thought about it. The lengths that Hector was going to give suggestions and insist on saving Didymus, someone else he hardly knew.

“Why…why are you helping me?” She hated to ask it, especially after everything he just offered. “Most people who had any sense would be running a mile right now…” She laughed weakly, now pulling at a strand of loose hair. He had no reason to help her out like this. He had no reason to even pay attention to her at all, in all honesty.

“When I have the opportunity to be straightforward, I prefer it by far,” Zariel answered that statement. She could understand why it would be said. She was a politician, and nothing about her war had hinted at any of this, on purpose, of course. Leander had left enough information about agents of Ophiuchus for her to know to be wary of saying too much.

Leander had barely scraped by without getting himself killed. That he died of old age seemed a miracle.

And so she sighed at the next bit, “It’s a shame your voice won’t just tell you. Voicing it in the open contains risks, even with all I’ve already said, and it’s why my conquest hasn’t appeared to hold the save the world bend to it,” Zariel had already mentioned the Serpent, and considering all that hung in the balance – even including Sesario’s willingness to possibly help with Cleon – she continued and hoped there were no agents near.

“The Twelve have the power, united, to defeat what is known as Ophiuchus – known in stories of the Twelve as the World-Eating Serpent. And it will, quite literally, eat Ivocia. As I understand it, Ophiuchus took the Twelve by surprise, cast them from the sky, and they fell into Hosts they resonated with – no doubt Bahamut found one before you, considering this has been going on since at least my grandfather’s time. I don’t know how much longer we have left, either. The Twelve only fell because they were surprised, and I’m starting to think some were so surprised they don’t even know why they’re here.”

She brought a hand to her temple, “It’s the only explanation I’ve come to for the fact no one else seems to be doing anything. That, or Ophiuchus’s agents are getting to them first.” She shut her eyes, “That’s the reason this isn’t known to many. Leander had his dealing with the agents in his life, and it complicated plenty. I’d rather not deal with that on top of everything else.”

Let Hyune think her a conquering monster if they would.

She didn’t care, when all was said and done. She didn’t care if the Empire fell the day after Ophiuchus did. Her loyalty was wholly devoted to the cause of getting rid of Ophiuchus, and conquest and identification seemed the most expedient ways.

She lowered her hand, opened her eyes, “I understand if this is a lot. I understand my proposal is a lot. Think on it. I’m willing even to play at an extended engagement, if you’ll help me, and let you go free when all is said and done. I came here to negotiate terms,” she said, some humor returning, “I hadn’t expected to lay all of this out as well, but I wasn’t expecting to find another Marked.”

~***~

It was a good question.

Definitely a question Hector would have asked in Kikiti’s position. “Well, number one, as I said – no fan of the Empire. They are kind of making my life and livelihood harder,” he held up one finger, “Number two, I don’t really want my friend to marry the Empress, and if he could just think he might realize he could get terms set in other ways.”

How much he trusted Sesario to think was another story.

“Three, if someone like you is on the run from the Empire – then they’re either a lot more racist than I realized, or else up to other shady shit, and that’s not gonna fly with me. I know we just met, but you seem like a good person, and I like you,” he said, “Four, I’m assuming you’ve found good friends, so if they’re also on the run, then that’s a problem.” This was assuming she wasn’t a master manipulator who had pulled the wool over his eyes.

“So,” he lowered the fingers, “I’ll present the idea to my friend, and see where it goes. Um. We’ll need a place to meet back up. It can be here, or if you want to set other grounds, I’m open. I understand if you don’t want to tell me where your friends are until you’ve seen, uh, the evidence of our plan working out. Though I’ll probably need the names of your friends to help them out. The one arrested and the one who went looking.”

“I agree,” Sesario sighed, rubbing his hands together. The voice was selective, preferring to speak to him in riddles and downright nonsense. “At least you’re…well. Trying to make some sense.” Zariel may have desired a voice, but one that never spoke clearly and demanded your willingness and fortitude? It could drive people to insanity. He surprised it hadn’t in the past twenty or more years of its presence. Frustration, yes, but never quite to the brink.

As if that wasn’t a problem already, the presence of those who would see Ophiuchus’s will done were quickly becoming another pestilence for them to deal with.
The World-Eating Serpent was a title he had heard a select few times, in old myths and tales of the Twelve, like Zariel explained. It paled in comparison to the gods themselves, the ones people were most interested in. Even now, Zariel’s tale felt nothing more than a distant dream. A threat clouded and miles. But it particularly troubled him how she wasn’t sure how much time they had. No one would be getting married or running off in an airship from that.

‘Why weren’t you clearer?’ He asked him. But would he have believed it? At a tender and grieving age? In his twenties? Two years ago?

Sesario hoped it had been a case of reduced power, or some binding, that he couldn’t receive such answers. It seemed selfish that someone may have had the chance before him to learn of all of this, and he had to solve it all for himself. But he was never looking for answers in Bahamut’s ramblings. Perhaps he had missed all the information he tried to give him.

Or perhaps he knew how frustrated he would have been, like he sat here now trying to run everything through his head. Sesario was no fan of the Empire, but the marked had to listen, right? What else were they to do otherwise.

“Tch. Not half. I’m surprised I’m keeping up with it,” he chuckled, leaning back on the bed. Though, he did keep running a hand through his hair. Though, the mention of an extended engagement, freedom, had stopped that behaviour. Freedom. At least he could decide what he wanted. And yet, all in all, he was still tied to her and the Empire. He nodded his head.
“Yeah, I get it. Let me just…stew in it for a bit, And hey, at least it’s been your lucky day though. Got to meet me, who’s also marked,” Sesario smirked, injecting his own humour into things.

He still had to wonder how free he would be in an offer made by the Empire.

~***~

No hesitation. No backtracking. Hector just outlined his reasons, from his own dislike of the Empire, the worry for his friend – which she found rather sweet – to how shady he found the Empire and…
That he liked her. That shouldn’t have stuck out so well to her in the moment, but she felt almost giddy that someone enjoyed her company, rather than felt forced to spend time with her. Or maybe he was a master wooer. Regardless, she would take what compliments she was given in this short life.

Kikiti nodded, squeezing Yarrow absent-mindedly. She still hadn’t been sure of the idea she accidentally posed. She was still working out the problems and all the things that could go wrong with kidnapping the Empress. But what else could they do? How else would Didymus make it out with Elcid.

“Alright,” Kikiti said, taking a deep breath in and out. “My friend – the one who went in – his name is Didymus. Kind of scruffy looking. He might look out of place in the Imperial uniform I patched up for him…” She meant it in the nicest way that she could. She didn’t blame him for his appearance either, when they had to wash in rivers. “And he’s looking for a man called Elcid. I can’t tell you much about him....” She apologised.

“I don’t know much else of Rozari, I’ll be honest,” Kikiti admitted before she decided to put Yarrow down, who hesitantly roamed around her feet. “So maybe I’m best sticking here. Just in case they end up coming my way or something too.

No, Sesario wasn’t enthralled at the idea of marriage. That was obvious with his pause in movement. Nor would Zariel blame him, but there were appearances to keep up for the sake of Ophiuchus’s agents, outside of the general public. When all was said and done…well, Zariel never really planned that far ahead.

How could she?

It felt both so near, and so far, all at once.

Yet, this conversation seemed to go well. Far better than most, save perhaps Lixue. Even her brother hadn’t taken things well as a child, though that could be mostly the relationship he had with their parents – with Lavi, really.

Zariel held the smirk without it faltering when Sesario proclaimed it her lucky day. “Perhaps so.” She rose from the couch, stretched upwards. She still had plenty to do that day, “I’ll leave you to stew, then.” He would no doubt come up with several thousand questions more, but she did have other things to do while he thought of them.

There was still tomorrow.

Breakfast with the family, no doubt.

But for tonight – there was another prince just on the edge of the horizon. She’d be so much closer to finishing things if she could gather him and the viera, and actually talk to them. Although she doubted she would ever be forgiven, no matter how much Inara’s death wasn’t a part of the plan.

She didn’t need forgiveness, she just needed begrudging acceptance. “Good night, Sesario,” as if he’d be able to sleep after all of that. Still, she would leave his quarters behind, and step out, only to find Hannah there, about to knock. Zariel managed not to sigh at the endlessness of tasks, but nodded, and started to walk with Hannah, learning about the preparations and what little more Hannah needed on the way back to her own quarters.

~***~

Elcid was a name Hector was sure he’d heard before, but he couldn’t quite recall the context, or why. Had he met Elcid? Was Elcid a friend? It didn’t sound like he’d heard the name in a bad context, so he just made note of that. Didymus was completely foreign to him, though.

Hector did arch a brow at Kikiti thinking they might come to her around an airship. Still, he wouldn’t protest. “All right, just don’t go stealing my ship,” mostly teasing – but with a slight edge that indicated it wasn’t entirely that. “I’ll try to get back here as soon as I can so you’re not waiting long.”

With that, he’d hop out of the airship, “But if you need to find me – the palace. They know me there, too.” He grinned, “and it’s hard to miss that!” Even for someone new to Rozari. With a wave, he turned, and sprinted off.

His ship wasn’t far from the palace, either, but he still arrived out of breath – which was more than enough reason for the Rozari guard to let him in, as they did know him, and assumed anything that had Hector running was reason enough not to detain him with questions. He was told that the evening matters had finished up, so Sesario was given free roam.

So, Hector was able to head to his quarters, not long after Zariel had gone, though he wasn’t privy to such things. He was just certain his friend was here, even if all Sesario was doing was pacing the floor about his situation and debating jumping out of a window. Hopefully, Hector caught him before he did that – Kikiti having to explain herself to Sesario would be…interesting.

He knocked hard on the door. “SES! SES!”

‘We got problems, Ses!’

Or really, he had a problem, but Ses’s problems tied into it.

Kikiti did let a bit of a smile break through at Hector’s comment. “I don’t think I have the piloting skills to be able to do that.” Imagine. That could have been a complete disaster if she even attempted it.

She watched Hector hop down, instructing her to find him at the palace should anything go amiss. Kikiti spared a glance in the direction she last thought seemed like a palace, before running off. “Please stay safe!” Kikiti shouted after him. That was an order more than a suggestion.

Kikiti sighed, stepping back from the door. Yarrow followed her, whining at her. He was perceptive, scarily so, and Kikiti tried to reassure him. “We just have to hope that everyone’s safe. I’m sure they are.” They better have. Otherwise, what was she going to do with all these confectionaries?

~***~

Sesario watched as she rose from the couch, clearly signalling that had concluded their conversation. At least, for this evening. Maybe not straight in the morning, what with his parents sticking their nose into things again.

They couldn’t know. They knew nothing of the voice that had been inside his head, and if they saw the mark, he had brushed it off as another one of his tattoos. They would have done everything to chain him down if they had found that out. Worst case scenario, lock him up for even mentioning a voice inside his head.

That was something he couldn’t risk, not just with his parents, but anyone, for that matter. But at least now, finally, some things were starting to make sense. Not all, but some.

Sesario had considered standing to show her out…though, he already knew Zariel wasn’t one to wait around for customs such as that. He supposed it fit the ruler of the Empire; a trailblazer who didn’t look back. “Night, Zariel,” he murmured, forgoing the formalities. It never really was his style, so why keep it up when he knew Zariel understood the same?

When she stepped out, Sesario couldn’t help but fall back on the bed, feeling his weight sink into the mattress. Too soft. Nothing like the one he had back on the ship. He rubbed his eyes, trying to organise the mess in his head surrounding everything Zariel had just passed onto him. “Why didn’t you just speak to me properly?” Sesario asked Bahamut, wondering if he had even bothered to continue listening. Would he have believed him? Was he not ready to hear all those things before? Damn it, he was exhausted just thinking about it all.

Sesario flinched at the banging at his door. It was Hector’s voice that made him shoot up to his feet off the bed. Perhaps he wouldn’t have if Hector didn’t sound so urgent. He was actually concerned that he had run into trouble. If it involved an Imperial, he’d be liable to throw one out the window, regardless of what the Empress thought of it.

Sesario reached the door and opened it quickly. Though, any sense of urgency or concern wasn’t readable on his face – at least, in the first instance. “Easy, kid! You know how expensive these doors are?” He could give less of a shit when it came to the door, in all honesty. He wouldn’t let him see that concern he had. He opened the door wider though, stepping aside to let him in. “What’s the problem?”

Hector huffed as he walked by Sesario and into his room, “Do you?” He doubted Sesario knew the cost of the doors, although he’d been surprised. Of course, that wasn’t important, and he urgently gestured for Sesario to close it, and folded his arms over his chest as he waited, trying to figure out how he was even going to phrase this so he didn’t sound like a lovesick idiot.

He wasn’t that!

This wasn’t just for Kikiti.

“So, we need to kidnap the Empress to get a prisoner or two released.” Hector stated once the door was shut, point-blank. Before Sesario could intrude, he raised both his hands, “I know, I know, I know – probably an immense risk to Rozari, to us, and everything, but I met some fugitives from Ucantis and whatever she’s doing there, we don’t want happening to Rozari – these people were good. So I think if we kidnap her, we can force more than these prisoners free. We can also make the Empire sue for peace.”

He lowered his hands, “I mean, they can’t want Oleander to rule, right?” They had met Oleander, he was pretty sure no one actually wanted Oleander in charge of much. How he ended up overseeing Escander was a mystery. Well, nepotism. But other than that, a mystery.

“It’s an Elcid – and then the second might be a, uh, Didymus,” Hector recalled, “Yeah. Elcid and Didymus. I feel like I know the name Elcid, but I can’t place it,” a helpless shrug, he added, “and if we get the Empire to sue for peace, no marriage!” Stick to what would entice Sesario to go along with the plan. “Win-win, right?”

Okay, that was probably a lot and with little explanation, but Sesario got away with worse plans with no explanation, he could do this once, right?

‘Cheeky.’ Not that he particularly minded that cheekiness. Sesario quite enjoyed riling Hector up, and he equally enjoyed it when he threw something back at him too. He pushed the door closed with Hector’s frantic gesturing, barely having time to look at him when he started into his spiel. “Whoa—” Sesario would have insisted he slowed down, though, he knew better than to interrupt Hector mid-speech. That, and Hector had stopped him from doing so.

Sesario raised an eyebrow at the mention of Ucantis fugitives. How convenient that Hector had met them! He doubted the prince could have gotten into Rozari without being caught. He had seen Ucantis denizens before – and they would stick out like a sore thumb in this city. “Friend of the prince, by chance? Zariel’s looking for him, though, not for what you’d expect. Something about the Twelve and some other shit going down—something I can’t explain in one go,” he added. He’d update Hector on it when he had the chance.

He did scoff at the mention of Oleander. The two were different in many ways. How Oleander would rule clearly would put the Empire at odds with their own ruler. They had seen him for themselves, of course.

But this could be good. Very good. Get Zariel and the others in one place so there could be context given to what was going on. He still had plenty to consider, especially in light of what he had been told, but he doubted the others who were marked knew of what was going on. Just as Zariel had said.

Could they make the Empire change course? Find a different way to carry out what Zariel wanted to prevent? And continue being a suave bachelor? Win-win, as Hector said.

“You might be onto something,” Sesario grinned, folding his arms. Really, he was onto something, but Hector slotted in his ideas rather well. A little sloppy than what he was used to, but really, Sesario sprung things on Hector all the time. Kept him on his toes.

Sesario couldn’t help but laugh, folding over his arms at the mention of Elcid and Didymus. It fit together almost too well that it was practically comical. “Funny you should say that,” he started, bemusement crossing his features, “I heard the same names from a conversation the Empress had with Didymus I overheard. He’s a thief playing off both sides. Zariel intends to use them as bait to lure the prince and his friends in.” She was no fool. She was smart, though, the question was, how good was she at adapting when things went haywire?

“Elcid was the smuggler who paid us to use the Valkyrie as transport for some weapons he was using. Retired now, allegedly. Opened a pub up in one of the resort towns.” Sesario was surprised Hector hadn’t remembered. Though clients did come and go, and even if Sesario had a vast network, a few names always eluded him. Elcid’s name always managed to stick with him.

“We’ve pulled off crazier, haven’t we?” Sesario grinned, lifting his arms up and dropping them by his side. “If we’re doing this, we need to be quick about it. Didymus is heading down to the prison right now to pick up Elcid. We’ll need to catch them and Zariel before they leave the city.” That was most likely what she was off to do, of course. Now, how to carry it out?

“Ah,” Sesario put a hand to his head, thinking for a moment. “I’ve got the best access to Zariel. Leave that beast to me. You’ll need to go down to the prison and catch the two of them, cause a bit of havoc at the same time if you’re gonna get them out.” How Hector chose to do that was his choice. He did like to give the kid some creative liberties. Sesario pitched and Hector smoothed out the finer details in much of their plans.

‘Friend of the prince?!’ Hector wanted to shout that as a question, but pursed his lips together. That would explain it, though. Apparently, Sesario had also had quite the chat with Zariel. Something about the Twelve? What, was she a religious loon from Ibec? Hector never heard any rumors of that, and scowled as Sesario went on, the expression softening as it seemed to be that Sesario was going to go along with this.

It also appeared Sesario had already heard about the Elcid and Didymus situation, and Hector’s eyes went wide to learn that Didymus was involved with both the Prince and the Empress. Well, that would make Kikiti the friend, then. “Bastard,” he muttered it under his breath about Didymus, even if might be a touch hypocritical.

It wasn’t like he’d never lied to get out of a bit of trouble. But being two-faced like that? Only the worst of Escander did that!

“Yeah, I’m going to remember which weapon transport,” Hector huffed, but accepted it. That meant Elcid was good with them, so his memory didn’t fail. Still, he smiled, nodded, “We have.” He actually wasn’t sure about that. Regardless, “I was hoping you’d stick with the Empress. I can head to the prison,” since Sesario didn’t specify which one, he had a fairly good idea it was the Royal Prison.

Zariel would want Elcid there, right?

“I have the, uh, prince’s friend waiting at the Valkyrie. If we can get everyone there, we should be good,” he said, “I don’t suppose you could give me a sealed letter, could you? The prison is still Rozarian….” He hoped Sesario understood it would make things worlds easier to give Hector a letter with his seal. He could wave it around and claim to be on business, and that was that.

“And maybe tell me how this Didymus looks so I can pick him out from the other Imperials. I assume he’s…trying to blend in.” He would probably recognize Elcid if they’d met, even if he wasn’t immediately familiar. Hector was usually good with faces. Also, usually, good with names, but they did a lot of business.

~***~

While Hector was away, moogles occasionally entered the hangar, saw Kikiti, and scurried out. This happened at least four times, before Arkimetes himself showed up at the hangar, the moogles with Hector’s various packages all following hesitantly. The moogle floated up to where Kikiti was, wings flapping, trying to be tall – and realizing that wasn’t going to be as hard as it usually was.

“Oi! Where’s Hector?” Arkimetes demanded of the strange girl he’d never seen around either Hector or Sesario before, lingering around the Valkyrie and not going away. “Who are you?” The second demand came, and then, “What did you do with Hector?!”

His voice was on the verge of hysteria, apparently thinking the strange girl had harmed Hector in some way, for Hector not to be there, waiting for his packages with plenty of kupo nuts for them all. Where else could he be? He knew these were coming!

Yarrow shifted behind Kikiti.

Yarrow knew moogles – but flying, angry moogles, was another story.

Sesario almost revelled in the ways Hector had been surprised by what he knew. He liked to surprise him every now and then, not being all looks and no substance, after all. “Yeah. One of those types.” Sesario hadn’t been surprised. He seen enough people like this Didymus two-timing people all across his mode of business. Most didn’t end up making the same mistake twice, because they made the grievous choice of doing it once.

Didymus was slippery, managing to bargain with Zariel like he did.

Sesario would forgive Hector for not remembering Elcid. He just seemed to have a good memory. It wouldn’t interfere either way with the plan, which was already developing rather splendidly. And the ship being their meet-up point. Just as long as none of them touched anything on the ship.

He took a moment to consider Hector’s request before he nodded in some realisation. “Shit, yeah, right. I think I got the stuff lying around here for that…” He said, moving towards a set of drawers, sure he had hidden some of that stuff in there. After pulling two drawers open, he moved onto another part of his quarters, where a desk was. It wasn’t long before he found some paper, a wax stick, and some matches.

“Around your height, maybe a bit taller. Lean-ish, tanned, dark auburn hair.” Sesario listed off some key features. “He’ll be wearing some Imperial garb – mind you, it’s seen better days. Must have grabbed it and tried to patch it up,” he theorised, before he walked back over to Hector with the sealed letter. “Royal Prison, by the way,” he informed him, grabbing his coat from a nearby chair. Strange how he could find that, but not even his coat.

Hector’s part of the plan seemed secured enough. Sesario? He made things up as they went along, and no doubt it was going the same way. How did you just slip away with an Empress? Sesario was about to find out. And hopefully live to tell it the next time he saw a few buddies.

~***~

Kikiti had thought she heard a few ‘kupo-kupos’, though, she had put it down to her own imagination at first. It was strange what the mind could do when you were feeling stressed, and she assumed it was just that. Though, seeing the pom-poms of skittering Moogles, had told her it wasn’t her imagination. Not when Yarrow had been repeatedly cocking his head at the voices.

Kikiti had thought to go and say something, maybe ask just what the problem was, when she turned, and squeaked at the appearance of a very angry moogle.

“Don’t sneak up on me like that! I’m so jumpy right now!” Kikiti stamped her foot in a fuss, though, felt embarrassed for lowering herself to the way a small child behaved. “Oh, I’m sorry,” she sighed, rubbing her head. “I didn’t mean to be so short, honestly…” Even with her apologising, she knew she owed an explanation to these moogles. Or a form of it.

Didn’t they say they knew Hector? How did Hector ever get involved with a bunch of moogles? The things never sat down as far as she had seen.

“I’m Kikiti,” the half-human introduced herself, trying to seem as friendly and most definitely not hostile as she could. Though, she’d never really seen an angry moogle, and so she wasn’t going to try and push any buttons. “I’m a friend of Hector’s – honest! I’m just waiting for him to come back with, uh…” Should she tell them about what he was off doing? “A friend of mine!” Or two. And perhaps some more.

Kikiti glanced to all the moogles and their packages, and asked, “Oh, uh…what are you delivering? Are they packages for Hector?”

Hector waited for the letter, listening to the description as it was given. Reddish hair was rare enough anywhere, so he made a note of that. It’d be the defining feature, even if it was hidden under an Arkidian helmet. As well as an outfit that had seen better days. That would stand out. Imperials were meticulous about their outfits. He was pretty sure he could count the number of damaged ones he’d seen on “on-duty” soldiers, on two hands.

He took the letter when it was presented, gave a nod, “You got an hour, after that, I’m taking everyone and zipping out of here. I’ll be back,” he added, “but…you know,” a slight tilt of the head, “better to get some when you can’t get all.” Not that he’d ever abandon Sesario, but having some of this would be good.

If Sesario screwed things up with the Empress, well – that’d be a problem. But his new friends would be indebted and have to help. “Try not to die.”

The same could probably be said for him, as he exited with the letter, and made his way through the familiar palace, back outside, with no issues whatsoever. He kept that air of authority around as he made his way to the Royal Prisons, and saw the stranger with the auburn hair and messed up uniform standing outside like a normal guard. ‘Perfect.’ He walked up, retaining that authority, and flashed the seal.

“Are you Didymus?” He asked, as if he didn’t know. The other soldier looked over, not familiar with the strange kid.

“Uh. Yeah.” Didymus answered, also not familiar with the strange kid, but very familiar with the Escander accent.

Something Hector recognized, too. ‘Well, you are a slippery Escander jerk!’ Somehow, that both bothered him more, and made him feel vindicated. At least he knew only someone from Escander could do something this dirty. So, he continued, as if he wasn’t an Escander jerk suddenly playing both sides, “We have word of a negotiation between Empress Zariel and the Rozarian nobility. I am here to escort you and the prisoner Elcid out.”

The other soldier was aware of the situation with Elcid and Didymus. Although something felt off, he knew that technically Rozari had rights to Elcid. Perhaps this was just their custom? So, he did nothing.

“Ah – thank you, I really just need help identifying him and then we can be on our way.”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Hector led in when the door was opened, “however I am under Rozarian guidance to see that you’re checked out through our coordinator, Kikiti.” A name that meant nothing to the soldier, but everything to Didymus, as was obvious with a glance back.

Didymus wasn’t sure whether to be relieved, or worried. Relief came first, and then fell under wariness. Who was this guy? How did he know Kikiti? And how did he know about the Elcid Rozari release situation? ‘I’m trapped.’ He knew that, as he followed this stranger down, until he stopped at last.

Hector did recognize Elcid when he saw him, though his face was carefully impassive as he stopped, and lifted that little sealed letter up again – not opening it – to the eyes of the Rozari guards. Already informed, though they recognized Hector and found his presence strange, none were going to say a word, “Release this prisoner into his custody, please.” Hector said, and the guards moved to do just that.

Hector took a moment while their backs were turned, to wink. ‘Hey, old guy.’

~***~

Arkimetes still loomed over Kikiti, thanks to flight, as she offered her explanation and insisted she was a friend of Hector, and was just waiting on him. He could see no damage to the Valkyrie – well, nothing that didn’t fit the kinds of things Hector had asked for, anyways, and he let out a long, thoughtful, hum as he looked down at her.

“Yes, kupo, these are for Hector. He ordered several supplies to work on the Valkyrie. He was going to be here. Oooh! Kupo!” Frustration spilled, “You didn’t hurt him?”

Yarrow barked in agitation, as if that would help the situation. “Hush you—you—mongrel!”

“Kupo!” Another moogle said, “I did see Hector in the market with the, um, mongrel.”

“Kupo? Really?” Arkimetes turned back, “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“I wasn’t sure!” The moogle whined, “I didn’t get a good look at it when I first popped in here.” She had just fled at the sight of a stranger, and went to find out from the others, who all gradually had made their way back with undelivered packages.

Arkimetes huffed, turned back around to Kikiti. “How do you know Hector? How long is he going to be gone?” Badgering still, mostly out of concern for the dear boy who was prone to getting into trouble, and had, well, been harmed as a child by inconsiderates. Never again! The orphan boy was their prerogative!

Trying not to die was half the fun when it came to situations like these. And the time limit too! It added extra edge. “I got it. Good luck, Hector,” he nodded to him before he walked out of the room. It wouldn’t be long before he too left the room, heading straight to Zariel’s quarters.

There didn’t seem to be much activity there – yet. Some Imperials still lurked around, clearly still on guard waiting for Zariel to get moving.

Damned Imperials. They’ve been here a day and they already think they own Rozari.”

Sesario caught the conversation in his native tongue of two passing guards, both clearly irked by the new Imperials settling into the palace. He smirked a little, grabbing them before they could pass the hall. “Say, boys,” he responded in the same tongue with a smile. “I’m bored. What do you think about bothering some Imperials?” And with that, dropped a pouch full of gil at their feet.

Either out of fear or sense of duty or the sheer attraction to gil, the two guards agreed, and he sent them on his way up the hallway towards one guard standing near Zariel’s door. He kept an eye out from a corner, waiting for heads to start butting.

“Hey,” one of the guards attracted the attention of the soldier standing guard as he passed, “anyone ever tell you you have a face like a goblin’s backside?”

The Imperial’s face scrunched up, almost unbelieving of the Rozarian. “What did you say?”

“Oh, my apologies,” the guard proceeded to innunciate, “did anyone ever tell you that you have a face like a goblin’s backside?”

The Imperial stepped forward with a grunt. “Rozari swine. Is this how you treat your Imperial betters?!”

“What’s that? You sound like a goblin’s backside too,” the other guard quipped. It wasn’t long before he found himself grabbed by the Imperial, who left his post, and shoved him up against the wall at the other end of the hall. By then, other Imperials started to flock to the ensuing chaos, and a few Rozarian soldiers, and somewhere in the midst of all of it, punches were thrown, and the shouting started.

Sesario took the opportunity to ready himself by the door to grab Zariel and move. When the door inevitably opened to investigate the disturbance, Sesario grabbed her. He wasted no time to pull out a small blade he had hidden up his sleeve and point it at her left kidney from the back. “Not a word,” he warned, moving her down the opposite end of the hall.

“Here’s what we’re going to do,” Sesario started with a smile. “We’re going to take a nice evening stroll down to my ship. I completely forgot to give you a tour and a test drive. But, no time like the present, is there?” Harming her would really fuck things up, but practically kidnapping her had already fucked things up spectacularly. He, at least, didn’t risk death now. He was Rozari’s prince, and he was marked. Simply too valuable for her to cut down now.

He hoped.

~***~

Cid had too much time and not enough distractions to stop himself from thinking about all he had just heard. An Imperial alliance. Imperial citizenship. It was enough to make his blood boil. And yet it simmered, only slightly, when he thought of the boy. Well, not a boy now, but a man. Inara did well to shelter him for as long as she did.

But it was inevitable for the Empire to come knocking at Ucantis’s door, and for the crown prince, no less. Inara couldn’t have stopped them even if she tried. And now, he was stupid enough to come here looking for him because his mother told him to. Did Inara really have no one other to trust than him and the viera? Just because he knew her husband Cleon better than anyone else ever could?

He expected retirement to be a lot more peaceful than this. Cid thought he could go for another piss, just for a minute’s reprieve from his own head. He listened to footsteps, expecting Rozari dogs to pass by his cell. He did see Imperial red lurk around the cell door, and would have told him to piss off, had another in Rozari garb not shown up beside him. He flashed a letter and gave instructions to the guards posted nearby.

Cid found the sudden instruction of transfer strange. Wasn’t he meant to be kept here until the prince was found? And that kid – he shouldn’t have been so familiar for a kid. He stood well out of place. He rose when instructed to by the guards and held his hands out indignantly so he could be cuffed. A stupid precaution. How the hell was he supposed to run in a heavily guarded place like this?

He caught the wink of Hector while the guards were being cuffed.

‘Bahamut’s fucking balls.’

Sesario’s kid. Or partner. One or both. He either inherited that annoying wink from him or Sesario had taught him it.

And a breakout. Maybe Cleon was smarter than he thought. As headstrong as his father, maybe, for pulling off a stunt like this. The scowl he usually wore remained on his lips before the guards handed him over to Hector and Didymus. It wasn’t long before he was on his way out of the prison. Apparently, it was that easy.

“Just as I was getting comfy in there…” Cid muttered. “Should I be pleased the royals are taking pity on me?”

~***~

“I didn’t hurt him!” Kikiti insisted, folding her arms. “I don’t go around hurting strangers!” It was true to some extent. She left the fighting to the other three. She just healed up the injured, waved her staff and turned a few Imperials into the frogs that they were. That most hurting she would ever do was give someone a good kick to the shins, or a good whack on the head with her staff. She wouldn’t go so far as to really hurt someone though.
“Yarrow, stop,” Kikiti tried to scold him, in the most diplomatic way a person could. It hardly sounded like a scold in all honesty. Still, Yarrow relented, though, still gave a low growl as a warning. Kikiti ran to Yarrow’s defence, pouting, “and Yarrow is most definitely not a mongrel! He is a carbuncle, a very healthy and wonderful one I may add!”

Could you have mongrel carbuncles? She wasn’t so sure. She’d have to cross that one with Hector when she saw him again.

Kikiti had relations to clear and questions to answer, though, she wasn’t going to just tell the Moogles she met him today. That wouldn’t make her less suspicious to them. “Hector and I go back. I travel with Yarrow to lots of different places, you know. I met him originally in…in Ucantis! He was picking up supplies from my papa’s shop.” Ugh, what a horrible divergent. She couldn’t just go back on it though, so she might as well have continued with it. Damn Didymus’ penchant for lying—or twisting the truth, as she had likened it to. It was getting easier to do.

“As for when he’s back…” Kikiti sighed, scratching her head. “I…I don’t really know. Within the next hour or two, I hope.” From what she could tell, these moogles knew Didymus. That didn’t bode well for her apparent ‘we go way back!’ narrative, but anyhow. “He’s uh, actually helping a few of my friends out at the prison?” she leaned up and whispered.

That sounded worse than she intended.

Zariel had just finished tying her hair up when she heard the shouting and the scuffle. ‘What in the Twelve?’ It didn’t sound like anything too concerning – if there was an uprising, or an attack planned for her, one of the guards would have shouted as much. Still, Zariel stepped out of her room to see what sort of chaos was occurring, and why.

Hannah was, notably, absent. No wonder these fools were going unchecked.

Not that Zariel had much time to register who was present and who was missing. Someone grabbed her from behind and yanked her backwards. She felt the press of a blade against her abdomen, and then heard the familiar voice. No, she didn’t shout, not that she was afraid of having that blade jammed into her.

She’d had much worse.

It was a seething anger and a need to know what the hell was going on that kept her from shouting as she was led away from the infighting between the soldiers. Hannah would realize she was gone soon; there’d been no time to shut the door, after all. ‘Ship.’ Flight. Where the hell was he taking her, and why?

Only after the corner was rounded, did Zariel shift just a bit, just enough, to light a flame in one hand, and make sure it rose high enough that he’d feel it along his thigh – not that it was really his thigh that Zariel was threatening. “You know,” she said lowly, “I don’t need you in one piece.” The edge of threat was there, but the fact it was just threat was to his benefit.

If she intended to burn him alive, she would have done it.

She could walk out of flames relatively unharmed.

“Do you mind explaining to me why we’re going to take a lovely stroll right before I am needed to gather Prince Bandoethel and his allies?” No, it wasn’t a coincidence. Zariel wasn’t stupid. Sesario was acting to interfere, and she was immensely displeased with it. She wanted to extend him some trust, no matter how foolish.

He’d listened to her.

Even looked like he believed her.

~***~

Hector allowed Didymus to take the chains of the cuffs and lead out, at first. Hector would continue to feign allowing Didymus to lead as they got out of the prison cell, until they were out of sight of it, and they could relax – a little. And Elcid made his comment, “One royal, anyways,” Hector noted.

“What the fuck is going on?” Didymus asked, “Who are you? How do you know Kikiti?”

Hector shot a sidelong look to Didymus, withering, “I could ask you the same thing. My friend told me you were selling out the people you came here with to the Empress.” Didymus lost color, “We’re not going along with her plan.”

“I don’t even know what the fuck her plan is. Just take Elcid to – to my…my friend.” He wouldn’t say Cleon, though saying ‘friend’ filled his gut with guilt.

“Yeah, sure.” Hector wasn’t buying it, “Look, I’m willing to keep your secret for the moment, so don’t worry. But I’ll want something for my silence. Later.” They were too close to the hangar to continue with that, and Didymus looked wretchedly guilty as they strolled into the hangar. “Uh, Cid? We can talk more on the ship about whatever’s going on.”

The hangar was full of moogles.

And Kikiti.

No sign of Sesario yet, though Hector wasn’t surprised. He had the harder task.

YOU’RE A JUVENILE DELINQUET?! FRIENDS IN PRISON?!” Arkimetes almost went berserk to hear it, the sound of his shout causing Hector to wince. Before Arkimetes could go further about the ‘bad influence’ of Kikiti, Hector let out a sharp whistle which drew all eyes to him.

Arkimetes came flying right over, all but sobbing in relief, and Hector hugged the moogle to him. “Hey, why are you getting so upset with my friend?” Hector asked, “She’s good people. Like her friends,” though he shot Didymus a knowing look.

Didymus pretended to ignore it as Arkimetes pulled away and began to babble excuses. Didymus just stared at the ship, at Kikiti, and what this situation meant. “Wait. Wait wait wait. We’re going on an airship?” Well, the airship probably had something to cut Elcid free of his shackles, right? “Kikiti, what is going on?”

If only he knew how confusing it was all about to get.

“Ah, shit, jeez, easy,” Sesario hissed, feeling the threat of the flame at his thigh. Zariel’s warning came quick and sharply, something that should have stung. It was quite hot actually. Physically and, well, figuratively. In way too many ways. Still, he'd rather not have precious assets fried off, and so relented, "Ah, I’ll give you this one. I did walk into it…” He grumbled, not something he was happy to admit.

He was quite happy to explain the rest. Sesario chuckled, sensing – and seeing – the displeasure that spoiled Zariel’s expression. “As much as I’d love to take you sightseeing across Rozari, I do have motive. I’d like you to meet the prince personally, just with less of the threatening Imperial retinue you have at your back.” It wouldn’t be long before they had legions of Imperials on their asses regardless.

“Ah, but listen, I’m on a time crunch. My partner met some friends of his, and they’re just as interested in meeting you in similar circumstances.” The playing field – or meeting field really – certainly wasn’t equalised between the two. It gave Hector’s new friend and their friends by extension more room to wiggle around in. “If I’m not back with you soon, he’ll head off, pick up the prince and other buddies he has, and you’ll be back to your wild chocobo chase around the continent.”

Hector wouldn’t leave Sesario. Just as Sesario knew he could never do the same to him. Though, Zariel didn’t need to know that.

She just needed to know how easy it could be for the Bandoethel to slip away again, even if only temporarily. “If you speak with him, explain yourself, wouldn’t that make things so much easier?”

~***~
Cid never thought he could breathe easy after being let out of prison, but he sure as hell wouldn’t be with the questions coming from the man in Imperial garbs. “Gods damn it…” He muttered. So, this hadn’t all been exactly planned to the tee. The man was trying to jump through mental hoops trying to figure out how everything either got crosswired or was supposed to fit together perfectly.
And there was a Lalafell involved. How did those crafty little folk always get involved?

“And a dirty sellout joining us too…just my luck,” Cid grumbled. The Twelve had a funny way of sending their graces. He wasn’t sure if he would rather bet his chances back in the royal prison. Though, he raised a brow at this ‘friend’ Didymus had mentioned. Cleon, perhaps. Or maybe Sesario wanted to play the dashing hero.

Ironic in his line of business.

Too much to ask, and apparently, they all couldn’t be answered outside the ship. Cid stopped. Moogles were involved too? And with the Lalafell, no less, who squirmed and protested with them. What a shitstorm this was.

Hector, once again, had arrived just in time to save Kikiti from further scrutiny. Yarrow brightened up at the sight of Hector, and though it took a moment, even more at the sight of Didymus’s return. “Oh, Diddy, you’re okay!” The girl let out a huge sigh, relieved that Hector had managed to even get him out. And the scowling man, who seemed to be Elcid.
It came to her part to explain though, and that she did, as best as she could. “Hector has very kindly lent us his ship – or well, his partner, Rozari’s prince’s ship – to get us all out of here! We could totally put miles between the Empire and us!” Though, she soon smacked her forehead, murmuring, “Ah, no, not quite. Um. Yeah. We’re bringing the Empress with us. We could totally use her for ransom! Or, uh, get something else out of her!” Peace, explanations for all of this, something that would be helpful.

The lines in Cid’s face dug deeper before he sounded, “Are you soft? You’re making a target for everyone’s backs here. We might as well march ourselves off to the gallows right now if that’s your plan.” He scoffed, raising both hands so a finger could scratch at his jaw. “I’m guessing…” He paused, the name feeling foreign on his tongue. “Cleon sent you?”

Did Cleon ever mention how brusque Elcid would be? No, he never knew him. So, of course he wouldn’t know. Kikiti nodded, “He said you could help us, sir.”

“Tch. Did he now?” What a real shitstorm this was.

A power game. Zariel wasn’t unaccustomed to those, and understood it for what it was as Sesario explained he had a way for her to meet Cleon Bandoethel – sans all her trappings of power, giving him an assumed edge. It wasn’t a real edge, although Zariel would have loved to go back and get her sword to make that obvious. As lovely as flame was, it didn’t quite have the same point to it.

Although Sesario understood it well, and so, Zariel quelled the flames that had threatened him.

She didn’t have time to keep playing the game of hunting down marked.

“I presume your friends don’t intend to have the same conversation I intend to have with them,” would it behoove her to know what the hell they thought they were getting into? Probably. “Explain. On the way.” For a kidnapping, she was still rather commanding. No one ever really could get that out of her. “If this turns out to be a trap, I’m sure you understand exactly how you’ll regret it.”

Her agreeing should at least get the rest of the story as she came along with no further protest. And no harm to his most precious of assets – or what he assumed was his most precious of assets, no doubt. ‘Works every time.’ One of the lessons Oleander probably regretted teaching her, on occasion.

~***~

Didymus had time to nod at Kikiti’s query, affirming he was okay, before he, too, was left with his jaw all but on the floor by the suggestion of – literally – kidnapping the Empress. No, not even a suggestion, something that was in the works, at that very moment. He wanted to ask a very similar question to Elcid.

“I leave for a few hours, and this is what I come back to? THIS?!” Didymus barely kept the repetition down, before he groaned and covered his face with both of his hands. He was so fucked. So very fucked. “This is a terrible idea, you all don’t even know,” he groaned.

Hector bit back the urge to call him out on knowing.

Revealing a traitor in the midst of this operation would not be ideal.

The moogles, now witnesses, murmured among themselves. “Ah, Hector – we’ll leave these here. If it’s all the same, we try not to, ah, kupo, get involved in politics,” Arkimetes noted, fluttering around.

Hector understood, he and Sesario usually avoided such things, too. “Go,” he nodded, “I’ll get things loaded.” He glanced at Didymus, hand still in his hands, “You can help load things.”

Didymus considered refusing, “Fine, but we gotta get him out of the chains, soon.”

“Yeah – those will be useful!” The obvious reference didn’t go over Didymus’s head and he groaned. Were they not bringing her chained?

“She’s going to burn your ship out of the sky,” Didymus muttered as he grabbed a box, “with all of us in it.” Except no, she wouldn’t. Marked.

How long would that protect them, really?

They would soon start walking, and Sesario was impressed with the amount of authority she exuded. Though, Zariel had probably prepared for these kind of scenarios in the past, but she really was so self-assured in her role. “Oh, I understand it alright…” Sesario did scoff at the thinly-veiled threat, though, he did feel a familiar discomfort. It wasn’t the first time such assets were threatened, and it did always get him, as it would any man.

Sesario would at least grant her request. Better she went into it knowing what to expect. “No, not exactly,” he answered her previous statement. Even if he didn’t know these said ‘friends’ of his, he knew conversation wouldn’t start with marks and the Zodiac off the bat. “They’ll want their friend, Elcid freed and pardoned. Though, it won’t stop at that.” He knew it wouldn’t, and Zariel would certainly know the same.

Their movement further down to the entrance hadn’t been interfered with, yet. A straight run would have been great, but outcomes like that were never guaranteed. Someone was usually unlucky enough to step in the way and ask all the wrong questions.

“They want this all to stop. The conquests, the fighting. And we know they only have one side of the whole story,” Sesario continued. “You have to explain why the Empire done all of this in the first place. The damage is done where Ucantis and the prince—king, I suppose now—is concerned. But you could afford giving him the same explanation at least, couldn’t you?”

It was what he needed to hear. What the other two marked ones had to hear too. Even if he wasn’t a lover of the Empire, the things Zariel told him at least made some sense.

A little longer, and they arrived at the hanger with relatively few problems. Well, bar the odd look or two, not that Sesario would have openly acknowledged them. Less suspicious that way.

They were still loading the last of the boxes onto the ship, most of the interaction having quietened down since some protests – and in return, some arguments for an Imperial kidnapping. Kikiti did fight her case, albeit in a diplomatic way, that it at least had some positives in it. She hadn’t been so sure of the idea either at first, of course. But she did say it was Hector’s idea. But that she did come around to it! But also, it was kind of genius, and kind of dangerous.

Oy.

Kikiti had been pacing back and forth. With most of the work having been done, she relegated herself to keeping a lookout, though, couldn’t stand still at the sight of Sesario and Zariel entering the hanger. Hector’s partner certainly didn’t look like a prince, which she wasn’t sure she was so surprised at, but at least the Empress looked like one. And terribly intimidating.

The half-Lalafell didn’t stick around the greet them. Instead, she practically scrambled up, frantically muttering to herself as she got into the airship.

Sesario squinted at the child – or a tall Lalafell? – as she ran into the airship. He wasn’t averse to them by any means, for they paid just as well and were equally good company. He just hadn’t thought she would be a friend of Cleon’s. Then again, the Rozari prince was running around as a sky pirate.

“Hector!” Kikiti half-shouted, half-whispered once inside the airship. “She’s here!” What did she do next? Introduce herself? Say nothing at all? Go and hide and hope things just worked themselves out??

Cid who had not long been out of chains, and helped with the last of the boxes, cursed. “Bastard’s actually went and done it.” He wasn’t surprised at him conceptualising such a scheme with Hector, only that he managed to do it.

“They want this all to stop.”

‘So do I.’
Zariel could only agree, but knew few alternatives. No one had ever agreed to peace talks. No one had ever agreed to negotiations. Still, the opportunity to try was something she’d attempted. It was why she was in Rozari. It was why she was relenting much of her advantage right then, to go along with this half-assed plot to kidnap her.

Was it a kidnapping if she went willingly?

Elcid wasn’t a difficulty to pardon. He was bait, after all. Zariel had no qualms with releasing him, really.

Then, they reached the ship. Her eye was a bit discerning, looking over the ship not so much for style, but weapons, agility, and shielding. She may wish for an end to fighting – but it was also, all she knew.

The Valkyrie wasn’t the best thing she’d ever seen in her life, but it wasn’t as terrible as she was anticipating, either. Still, far too luxury, and too large, to be something Zariel herself would employ. She liked sharper maneuverability then something of this size would manage for her personal ships. Though, this could be decent, with proper shielding, as something of a ‘tank’ ship. An unexpected challenge.

Her attention snapped away from examination by the shout for a ‘Hector’, and the movement within the area. She caught sight of Didymus who had gone outside to make sure all the boxes were up. He froze where he was, as startled as a wyrdhare.

This ‘Hector’ came out as Didymus made his way into the ship, the chains that had bound Elcid in his hands. He stopped short when he recognized that the Empress was conscious, as well as…literally standing there staring down at him with no threat, no binding, or anything at all commanding her to be there.

To say Hector was intimidated would be an understatement, and he actually looked to Sesario for advice, the chains no longer held so certainly in his hand.

Zariel strode by towards the ship, “Try it,” she dared him as she walked into it, that imperious presence causing Hector to let the chains fall to the ground rather than ‘try it’ as dared.

“Ses…what the hell is going on?” Hector asked in a hissed whisper, already starting back for the ship.

Well, he definitely wasn’t leaving it with her in there! She probably knew how to fly the damn thing and could take off without them if she decided to! Hector didn’t understand the motives here or what was going on now that the Empress had just waltzed into the ship. What had Sesario told her?

Didymus just whispered to Kikiti when Zariel walked by towards the cockpit, "See? Bad idea." He wasn't about to stop her. He wasn't that stupid, and if Hector couldn't stand his ground and slap chains on her wrist, what hope did he have? He already knew to be scared of Zariel.

Sesario could see the way Zariel had looked over the Valkyrie. He wasn’t surprised, for he was sure it wasn’t what Zariel was used to. But it was never meant to be like Imperial vessels. Or like any kind of vessels. That was the beauty of such a thing – that it was neutral. He was breaking sacred rules when it came to preserving neutrality now.

Somehow, Sesario had only started to grip onto how serious this all really was. Even as Hector approached with chains with rising fear. He shook his head, signalling this wouldn’t be the occasion for chains, though, Zariel had practically decreed it. He sighed, walking with Hector after her. Man, was Hector going to love this.

“Kidnapping…didn’t go quite as planned,” Sesario muttered. He could have made it easier than this. Definitely different from the Empress waltzing onto their ship. Nonetheless, he would continue, “she knows we’re going to meet that prince, and that there’ll probably be some vying for compromise.” No guarantees there. Not with how Zariel had been operating up until now. “It’s better like this. Just get them in the same place and talking without Imperials pointing their weapons…” He knew that wouldn’t last long, however.

“Trust me on this,” he told him, “she knows things the prince needs to hear. Like the stuff I mentioned earlier. And maybe if everyone just, you know, talked to each other, we can figure out how to stop all of this. Save all our asses.” Official instances of politics had been like what everyone said they were. A competition of who could shout the loudest yet fell silent when it came to trying to agree to anything. Politics with pirates were easier. People were honest, brutally so. Shame it couldn’t be the same everywhere. Could he afford to be this optimistic?

As the Empress continued through to the cockpit, and both Sesario and Hector followed after closing up and securing the airship’s entrance, Kikiti pouted. Hector’s idea, Hector’s bad idea, she wanted to protest to Didymus, but she remembered she had planted the seed first. It started with her. “Give it a bit,” she muttered back, not ready to admit what a disaster this could have been. If the others were scared of Zariel, she was downright petrified. Even looking at her made Kikiti want to scurry away like the Moogles had.

Cid, meanwhile, had been on the other end of the cockpit, and was surprised to see Zariel meandering in. He exchanged a sharp look with Sesario, over whether this was really the kidnapping arrangement they were going for. He tried not to grumble at the farce of it all and greeted, and with a clear tone of irony, “Welcome aboard.”

“Did I mention we picked up the prince’s friend?” Sesario asked, and awkwardly knowing he absolutely did not. “Might soften our friend up if you’re offering him up here unharmed.” He heard scoff. As if she had a choice in bringing him here. As if that would really sweeten what was already going to be a sour interaction.

Sesario turned back to Hector, told him, “Hector, you can get us up and off the ground.” He looked at him, as much to say he would stick with Zariel. He wouldn’t leave the rest of them alone with Zariel. As much as this made most of them shrink, he wasn’t so awful as to run away and leave them to deal with her.

Zariel had stopped short at recognizing Elcid there, and stared at him with a rather dull expression as he greeted, and as Hector scurried by to get the ship up in the air as Sesario made his offer. “Hey, uh, KIKITI. I need – come up here, please.” Hector called back, knowing he needed Kikiti to help direct him where the Prince was.

Didymus got up to go with her, though, Yarrow sniffing at the Empress’s boots, seeming unable to determine his opinion. When Didymus snapped his fingers, a bit of a harsh sound, Yarrow whimpered – but followed. Apparently, Yarrow hadn’t determined the Empress to be wholly evil enough to run away from.

Zariel only briefly followed their departure from the area, before sighing, “Fine,” she wouldn’t harm Elcid. That wasn’t really the plan. And he would be in negotiations to go free. “A peace offering, I suppose, is better than trying to hold him hostage now.” Even if she could. Even if she could hold literally all of them hostage.

Her only real concern was the viera, who wasn’t on the ship – but who would likely not do anything that would risk the prince. And she couldn’t hold him hostage so easily. ‘Nor are you going to try immediately.’ Talking. Peace talks.

She did give a look to Sesario, “You will not say anything I have told you,” she reminded him, calm. “No matter who we are speaking with, I will determine what is said and what isn’t said.” Perhaps an odd command, but she had warned him, and she shot a sidelong glance to Elcid.
No, she didn’t trust him to hear anything, for one. He could be shooed away. Perhaps Sesario could even be charged with that. Zariel couldn’t trust anyone else in this damn ship – not that she trusted Sesario, beyond the fact he wanted peace, and he may understand the risks of bringing in an outsider.

She felt the ship move, and only took to leaning against one of the walls, rather than go searching through the ship any further. She clearly wasn’t wanted anywhere – not a surprise. At least she knew better than to keep pushing her luck in exploration. This was hardly the first time in enemy territory.

Further up in the ship, Hector had been surprised to see the traitor up there, and scowled at him, but kept his mouth shut. He just said, as Kikiti arrived, “I’m going to need directions to find your friend. I don’t know where to begin,” though he knew they couldn’t be far.

That would have just been…stupid.

“And uh – I’m just as surprised. I wasn’t…expecting her to just…well….”

Didymus wanted to make a comment, desperately, about how stupid they were, how much they were underestimating her, but he held back. Doing so would only provoke Hector to making a comment on how odd it was that he knew so much. And he couldn’t do that right now. He’d have to come clean – soon – and pick sides…but…well, maybe this was for the best.

Maybe they could talk things out? ‘Inara is dead.’

He almost sighed in defeat.

~***~

It hadn’t been eight hours yet, but Reva found herself growing increasingly uncomfortable as they waited in the dark with Gamesh. She had considered sending him ahead a few times, but reminded herself that she had to trust in the plan. Kikiti and Didymus made a great team, even she had noticed that, though she could not understand why.

Idly, she did wonder if it had something to do with Libra and Gemini – Kirin and Garuda.

She knew of no stories involving the pair, but that wasn’t wholly unexpected. Humans had more stories of the zodiacs than the viera had, and she hadn’t spent her time studying them, ‘Although perhaps you should have.’ It meant everything now. It had meant everything for her, too, with Leviathan.

What was the meaning of it all?

Night had fallen, and she found herself gazing at the stars.

Things weren’t as bright in Rozari, in the cities.

Yet, the stars seemed so…dim.

She barely caught the bit of conversation between Gamesh and Cleon, only, “…heard of special weapons that the heroes of the Zodiac used,” apparently the conversation had drifted, and Reva tuned back in, gaze leaving the sky.

“You seem a scholar of the Twelve.”

Gamesh looked up, smiled, but shook his head, “No, no, just…well, I always liked the stories as a kid, and when you join a resistance group using their moniker…you learn more whether you want to or not,” he chuckled. “There’s always magic, weapons, and glory.”

Reva considered what they’d seen, “Did you ever hear a story of Phoenix dying?”

Gamesh’s expression darkened, “If only,” the words were just audible to Reva, before he smiled, and shook his head, “No, I haven’t heard of any of the Twelve dying, but it would fit Phoenix, wouldn’t it? They do say that the down feathers of phoenix bring back the dead, after all.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back