• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fight for Control [closed]

Kylo wanted to laugh at how riled up she got over one chair. There were more pressing matters than an easily replaceable, and not entirely necessary, piece of furniture. Still, he held his ground, her wrist tight in his grip and his eyes nearly drilling holes through her.

And her words? Her lip? Her sheer audacity to address him in such a way? That would not do. He was the one in charge. He was the leader. Not her. And so why did she feel like she could address him as if she were the one in charge? It would not do.

Without a thought, Kylo firmly grasped her jaw with his other hand. “You have not seen my rage yet.” His forced dropped into a harsh whisper. “You are truly testing my limits right now. Commanding me, mocking me, over a damn chair.” He took deep breathes as he fought the urge to do with the lightsaber what he thought before.

“I think the First Order has more pressing matters than your precious chair.” He didn’t let go of Reveille quite yet. He didn’t plan to until she backed off on her words and stayed in her damn lane. “Do I make myself clear?”

Minka greatly enjoyed listening to the standoff between Kylo and Reveille, but like Schaeffer, she also wished to make an escape before things escalated even more, and they brought them in to their fight. She didn’t sign up to deal with Kylo’s moody ass. But she long knew about Reveille’s stubbornness.

~~

Lavinia swallowed her urge to snicker at Hux’s disdain for his suit. A man so used to order and regulation, wearing anything else was probably foreign to him at this point. She even pictured him wearing it to bed. Maybe there was already a betting pool on that.

“I can try, but she’ll probably not have her named attached if she were the owner and illegal matters were being conducted behind closed doors.” While she spoke, Lavinia pulled up several searches on the establishment, all mentioning how it serves as one of the finest lounges for Danon’s elite. She knew very little about the elites of the planet, even though her mother was born there. She never talked much about her own childhood.

The fact that if Kasabian did own it and didn’t flash her name everywhere meant that she was at least different than Anolo. And that could either be good or disastrous. Further digging and she pulled up some deeper files. “I can’t find much, but some reports definitely point in her direction.”

So they had to be on their best behavior. No swindling her like she did with Anolo.

There was a certain fury that accompanied helplessness. It was foreign to Reveille, and just as difficult to get her mind back to anything rational for it. Kylo was unrelenting, and unaccepting, of the error. His further grip proved that, and Reveille felt the flush of that anger touch her face. Anyone else, and they’d have their hands broken. Anyone else, and they’d be dead.

You had the opportunity.’

She should have listened to Armitage. He had been dealing with this for far longer. No matter – she’d rectify this. But not if her jaw was broken here or she was otherwise wounded. ‘Just pretend he’s Snoke. He’s clearly acting like Snoke. Head down. Agree. Destroy him later.’

But she didn’t accept his determination of the chair. Or much else. She tried to swallow down those words, but it was a losing battle. “Of course, Supreme Leader. You seem to have learned all of Snoke’s lessons quite well.” She hoped it hurt, somehow, to be compared to their fallen leader. Of course, she would never claim it as an insult.

Just as Kylo could never take it as an insult in public.

It was their little secret. That they’d both hated Snoke, and both wanted him dead.

The ship landed. “I’ll see to the repairs myself.” She would attempt to step back and free herself. The battle was well in hand by now, but she would be needed for closing it up. Then she could isolate herself in the ship with the repairs.

~***~

Trying was worth something, and as Armitage watched, he found that nagging question returning to his mind. Where did she learn these skills? These were not standard analyst skills. With this sort of skillset, she should have gone into the Security Bureau, and been more under Reveille’s hand than his own.

He observed as she went through multiple files and tried to dig up information, all for naught, it seemed. “No matter. We’ll have the pilots accompany us at a distance,” Armitage noted. That way she would not be surprised by it, and perhaps be able to keep that in mind if anything needed to happen.

Dealing with these sorts? It seemed necessary anymore.

He did question, “Why is it you ended up in data analysis and not the Security Bureau?” Data analysists were a credit a dozen, but those with the aptitude for slicing and locating information like this were not so common.

Kylo’s eye twitched slightly at the mention of Snoke’s training. Whether it was meant in ridicule or simply a snide comment, he wanted to further berate her. But she was backing off, at least verbally, and for that his anger abated, but he still remained on edge.

He accepted her words for now. Reveille’s wrist and jaw remained in his grip a moment longer as her stared her down, though he really was focused on calming down. She was eventually released from his grip, and he took a step back.

His eyes flickered to the remains of the seat, then focused once more on Reveille. Had she not had the gall to command him, he may have considered sending someone to ensure that the seat was repaired. Now? “Good. I’m glad we’re in an agreement.”

The ship landed, and he snapped back to reality. He thoughts went back to the two women he encountered on Chandrila, and how he needed to learn more about them. But where to start?

He didn’t know where to begin. He would have to seclude himself and think up a way to ensure their alliance while keeping his position. “Anything else you would like to add?”

~~

“That may be a good idea, unless she perceives them as a threat. They won’t exactly blend in.” Maybe Kasabian won’t care, or maybe she’ll be amused by their caution. Those types of people were hard to pin down, and she didn’t want any extra trouble. Just a smooth business transaction.

When Armitage asked his question, Lavinia was quick to surmise that he noted her skillset, one she may have utilized in front of him a little too freely if she didn’t carefully chose her next few words. She chose a data analysis job because they were normally behind the scenes and didn’t have to physically interact with many officers. Mostly messages sending off reports.

But that’s not an answer that will impress Armitage very much.

“It’s just something that I kind of fell into. I was looking for a position, and I guess I considered myself more suited for data analysis than the Security Bureau.” And she remained largely unnoticed except by those she directly worked with, and she did her job well. All that they wanted.

And now she somehow found herself working with General Hux.

The twitch was answer enough. The comment had hurt. ‘Good.’ He understood what she meant by it, then. He did let her go, without further injury, without further protest. She resisted the urge to rub her wrist right then. Later.

“No.” Reveille had business to tend to – business with Kos’tel’lanni, and business with the mask and lightsaber, before Kylo remembered either of them. She’d bury them in a trail of paperwork and passed hands to make it irrationally difficult for him to find them again. She, however, was going to try and figure out why these things were so valuable to the Sith.

Why they were important in general to the Acolytes of the Beyond. The lightsaber was likely obvious – it was a lightsaber – the mask was another matter entirely. “If you’ll excuse me, Supreme Leader, I have work to tend to on the Bridge now that we are attacking Corellia.”

That was also, likely, where Kos’tel’lanni was.

And Kos’tel’lanni had some explaining to do.

~***~

“If she perceives them as a threat before they make any move to do so, we will have a better understanding of her character, as well,” Armitage noted. Those who reacted harshly to things like that were usually not good clients. They were paranoid. Jumpy. And reminded him a bit too much of Kylo Ren.

The pilots would be coming.

If Kasabian was like that at all, he would likely appreciate the extra blasters in any case.

He did take note of how Althea ended up in data analysis. He frowned a bit, “The First Order tends to have placement tests,” what one was good at was usually where one went, regardless of preferences. There were some exceptions, but those exceptions were usually made for the wealthy. Sienar was among those exceptions – not that one needed to be made. His only two options would have been ship engineer or TIE pilot. He excelled at both.

“Were you not tested for these things?” He supposed if she had not shown much ambition, as her indication of ‘falling into’ data analysis suggested, they might not have thought to look too deeply or test for too much outside of relatively ‘standard’ positions.

Something he might have to fix. Slicers, he had discovered, often lacked ambition. There was a strange laziness to some of the best of them. Which was why they were so good, and did things so quick, but all the same – it was strange to him.

At the first opportunity, Minka dashed to get off the ship. While she normally enjoyed watching two people try to murder each other, when one of them is a powerful and chaotic Force user, she’d rather not be in the vicinity. She was certain Schaeffer agreed with her.

Her speedy exit hardly phased Kylo. He barely even recognized the presence of anyone else onboard, not when Reveille always did her best to remind him that she was nearby. The woman who tested his patience far too often.

“I won’t keep you any longer, Admiral.” He took another step back, creating further distance between the two. He would let her go for now, as he figured out where to start looking for the two Siths or simply learn more about them. He would also need to see if he could get a researcher to aid and guide him to what he needed.

Kylo would wait for Reveille and the remaining Cadet to disembark before he made his own way out. Although he could easily sense if he was about to be attacked from behind, he still didn’t wish to have his own back turned on the two of them.

~~

Lavinia hummed in agreement, though she wouldn’t completely blame someone for being paranoid around First Order officers. Even if she was more of an unsavory character, the First Order have done far worse to the innocent. They have an established reputation that many fear.

But she hoped she wouldn’t be a witness to an incident at this lounge.

Shit. She was not prepared for Armitage’s question. She knew about the tests, but given her circumstance, she did not take a test. Instead, the officer she reported to accepted her as a “transfer” from another ship, and thus no test was ever taken. She couldn’t even lie and say she did take the test but didn’t bring up her skills, because he will likely see that as deceit.

“I didn’t take the test.” She set her holopad on the bench at her side and neatly folded her hands in her lap. “I do admit that in the beginning, I didn’t have ambition for much else, but that did change the more I got involved and the harder I worked.”

If he grew further suspicious at her answer, then she suppose she could she could make a run for it on Danon. Sell the dress for basic needs.

Schaeffer was also quick to move once the ship was shut down, and he pulled Jinah along with him – at least so far as the bottom of the ramp. If Reveille was off to the Bridge, she was going to want the images of the Sith to show Kos’tel’lanni. Schaeffer couldn’t go too far.

Well, he could – but it’d be pointless.

And Reveille was off at a more casual pace as soon as Kylo gave her the dismissal. A glance to Schaeffer was all he needed. Jinah fell in step as well, and once they’d taken a few turns to get out of Kylo Ren’s sight, she spoke lowly, “Give the mask to Jinah. Jinah, return to the Finalizer. I don’t care who you take to bring you there. Give these to Garmuth with instructions to bury them.”

If nothing else, it would annoy Kylo Ren when he realized how difficult it was to find them under all the hands they’d passed. Reveille knew where they’d end up. She’d had things buried before.

“Understood, Admiral.” Schaeffer passed the mask off and Jinah took it, though clearly not happy about it. His expression showed how much he liked handling the item.

They parted at another turn; Jinah at least knew Reveille’s ship better than others. She and Schaeffer went on to the Bridge. “Anything from Corellia yet?” Reveille asked Kos’tel’lanni as she stepped in.

“Not yet,” Kos’tel’lanni answered, “We have troops on the ground, and their aerial defenses have been, for the most part, destroyed. It won’t be long. I have dispatched one squadron to the governor’s building, but most I have sent to the actual power,” a criminal, of course, “Would you prefer them dead or alive?”

“Dead.” Reveille answered, “I’m rather tired of dealing with criminals today.”

“The Acolytes?”

“Most are dead. Two escaped. I think you may know one.” She gestured to Schaeffer, and he stepped forward as Kos’tel’lanni offered a confused look.

An image he’d taken on his datapad came up, and Kos’tel’lanni’s brows rose, “Zeme’lodi’csapla?” She did sound rather confused, but apparently, she knew the individual depicted.

~***~

Armitage’s face screwed up at her statement. “The tests are mandatory.” There was no way she hadn’t taken the test. The test scores were used in placement and figuring out where a person went, much like marksmanship scores and much else. And certainly there were scores on her record.

It was as much a part of entry to the First Order as anything else – even Stormtroopers were given tests periodically and they were brought up in the First Order. Some, it was discovered, were better suited to different divisions, and even some had promise of becoming an officer.

The system was all about creating order and finding where someone went best.

Her statement nearly had him reaching for his own datapad to bring up her file, which he knew wouldn’t be difficult at all to bring up – and if it was, Reveille would likely have it to him in a few seconds. However, he also briefly considered his blaster. Someone with slicing skills, in data analysis, who didn’t take a test – and didn’t see a problem with that?

It set off a red flag.

“How did you come into the First Order without going through the test?” He spoke a bit slower, “When we met, you indicated you had taken marksmanship tests. When you took that, you would have been given the other tests as well. Everyone in the First Order is placed where they belong, Lieutenant.” Perhaps her case with him was special, but prior to Kylo Ren’s stepping in, everything should have gone as it usually did.

Kylo made his way back to his shuttle and returned to his own ship. He would return to the Supremacy and research further into the Siths they encountered. Now that the battle swayed into the favor of the First Order, he didn’t see the need to stay on the Admiral’s ship even further (although some would argue about his involvement, on the ship or planet, in the first place).

He knew of several locations he wanted to visit in hopes of finding some answers. Iridonia, the planet where most of the Zabraks come from, may be a potential option. Perhaps someone knew of her name, or knew of someone who had trained under Darth Vader.

Another option came to him later, after he returned to his ship and in his quarters. He was looking over the new mark on his face, a fiery reminder of skills he had yet to learn. Skills he deserved to know. The burn mark would go away, so he didn’t bother applying any bacta to speed the healing process. Seeing and feeling the burn would serve as a reminder for him to do better. To not fail next time.

But it was in his observation of the mark when he recalled Korriban. The planet could potentially contain a slew of information. The Sith temple held the tombs of many powerful Siths, including the tomb of Darth Vader. She would’ve had to been there at one point.

That would be later. First, he intended to pay a visit to Iridonia and find out if he could gather any information on Darth Nyx and who she was before she became Darth Vader’s apprentice, and how that happened. And then on the Chiss...his thoughts flashed to Reveille’s assistant. It wasn’t as if all Chiss knew one another, but they did tend to keep to themselves more often than not.

After that train of thought, Kylo sent a message to Reveille, inquiring about the status of Corellia. It was only a matter of time before it was under their control, as he didn’t believe another unexpected situation would arise.

~~

Her throat felt as dry as Jakku. The more Hux talked, further probing into her lies, the faster she felt her heart pound in her chest. It took every effort to not show any outward proof of her rising panic. She had nearly forgotten that she did mention to him of the marksmanship scores, which she entirely blamed on the lack of sleep she was forced to endure. Already she was experiencing some minor memory lapses, and she didn’t wish to find out how well her coordination was.

She had to come up with an excuse, and fast.

And it may potentially ruin the image of her character, but it was far better than the alternative. And if it didn’t work? Well, it looked like they would soon be on Danon.

She let out a deep sigh as she took on the role of a First Order officer who was caught in her own lie. “Okay, I’ll confess. I initially didn’t wish to tell you, because I knew it would worsen whatever thoughts you had of me.” Her shoulders slumped a little, her fingers lightly fiddling with the lace of the dress. “I did take the test, but I skewed my results. I didn’t wish to be in the Security Bureau, but I knew I wanted to be a part of the First Order in some way, to help the galaxy, and so I tried my hardest to make it so.”

She’s worked under pressure before, but never had she felt so out of control than in the General’s presence. Others were predictable. He was not. “I had my assumptions about the Security Bureau, which I soon learned were false.” Lavinia hoped he believed her tale. And if he did, she will take whatever words or actions he threw her way. “Those actions, as well as my lie to you in a moment of panic, are not appropriate for an officer, and I deeply apologize.”

Zeme’lodi’csapla was, apparently, notable. Not that Kos’tel’lanni would say much on the Bridge. That would wait until after they had wrapped up Corellia, which came after the criminal underground had been purged. Without the criminals to influence, harass, and bribe their so-called government official, Corellia surrendered.

And said official was executed not long after that, to put in someone else – a rival, naturally, but a rival who agreed not to allow the criminal underground to rise back up. The military would remain stationed to help further clear that out, while the shipyards and other factories would open and ‘sell’ their products exclusively to the First Order.

At a significantly marked down rate.

After all, they weren’t going to be charging for their military maintaining the peace.

It was only after that wrapped up, that Kos’tel’lanni agreed to speak. They did not go to Reveille’s office, or her own, but back to the Mirage. Kos’tel’lanni was actually surprised to see the wreckage. “You weren’t kidding.”

“Why would I?” Reveille asked, annoyed, as she started to stuff the scraps of the chair into a trash bag to be taken to the compactor later that day. She could at least clean up the mess before beginning her hunt for a replacement chair that she could install. “Now, tell me about Zeme’lodi’csapla.”

And Kos’tel’lanni did – at least what she knew. Which boiled down to a similar train of thought: Zeme’lodi’csapla had been sent on a mission to take note of the galaxy and the powers at play. When it was mentioned that she had not seemed to like Reveille’s own knowledge of this, she wasn’t surprised.

“We knew the Sith before. When they were a race, and again, when they were a power opposing the Jedi. We did not like the latter, not that we cared much for the former. The latter’s desires ran counter to our own. Their path, we know, is not right. If she has joined with a Sith, then she is already aware she is going against what we have determined.” Kos’tel’lanni shook her head. “I need to request leave to inform them.”

“Granted,” it wasn’t really a question, “If it helps to get her out of our hair….”

Kos’tel’lanni nodded. She didn’t know if they would interfere, or pass the orders down to her, but either way – Csilla needed to know.

So it was an hour later that Kos’tel’lanni had taken her own ship and left. Reveille imagined she might have a decent evening after that, given the progress with Corellia and the few updates she had from Armitage.

The message from Kylo even seemed innocuous enough.

Corellia has fallen. Maintaining military presence for now. Embo Telder is our current figurehead.

~***~

Armitage didn’t buy it.

Not in full, anyway.

Her response of not taking it had been too…well, too stupid to be something she’d lie about, in truth. Even as she backtracked and claimed deceit, he couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong, and he did make a mental note to look over her file again and see what scores she had. They would be there.

True, or false, there would be something there.

“At least now you know the error of your thoughts,” his tone was colder. Likely, that was to be expected, given she had lied to him. Admitting her lie and apologizing for it wouldn’t erase it – especially as he was certain there was more to it than that. However, he would not note that aspect of it. “What presumptions did you have about the Security Bureau?”

He could think of several things.

It wasn’t as if spy organizations usually had ‘good’ reputations. They were where all the secrets were, after all. That always made them a bit…suspicious. Still, he wondered what it was that Althea would have to say for that, and how far those thoughts might drift from the normal suspicions.

Kylo received a reply back from Reveille nearly soon after he sent word to the Hangar to prepare his ship for departure. The message was brief and to the point, which pleased him. The planet was easy enough to conquer, despite their earlier setbacks. If all the other worlds cared about their people and resources, they would surrender just as easily.

He paused in a corridor long enough to compose a message back.

Good. Keep military presence in case of sudden rebellions.

His fingers paused over the datapad, ready to press send, until another thought popped into his head. He doubted Reveille would already have answers, though the woman was too resourceful sometimes.

Have you come across any new information on Darth Nyx and her apprentice?

~~

It seemed Armitage took her excuse, but she still remained cautious. He could be playing her, seeing what else she would say before he revealed that he figured her out. Or maybe he really did except her excuse. Maybe he did believe that she deceived to avoid working in a certain sector. Until she knew for certain, Lavinia will assume the worst.

Lavinia almost wanted to wince at the colder tone of Hux’s words. Yet it was still better than trying to fight him off until the ship landed. If she could continue to smooth over the suspicions, she would make sure about what she said or answered questions in the future. Also, her file needed a revisit, to fully ensure that there were no holes.

“Truthfully, I feared those in the branch. I feared that their loyalties may...sway, or that they become a loose cannon and cause intentional chaos.” As she spoke, the skyline of the ecumenopolis came into view, and she could only hoped that the General forgot about their conversation during the meeting with Kasabian.

‘Oh yes, because I was going to remove military presence this early.’ Reveille resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Apparently he didn’t see that she’d maintained military presence even on planets like Coruscant, which were, more or less, on their side. No, Reveille knew better. Corellia needed to be stabilized, and that wouldn’t happen until most of the criminal syndicates were removed.

That would take time. It would also mean keeping their figurehead protected.

His addition, however, made her consider how to phrase her answer.

In the end, she went with short messages to both.

Military presence will remain.
Yes.

The message was sent after she put out the request for a droid to assist in her ship. She could, technically speaking, weld the chair into place once more. She also knew her hand was not as steady and the welding point would be obvious. A droid would make it look seamless, now that she’d removed the original chair and opened up the space for the new one.

That chair remained leaning against the wall, and she stood up to carry it over to the proper spot.

It didn’t take long before the droid arrived, and was able to assist while Reveille held the chair in place.

~***~

None of what Althea had to say about the Security Bureau were common fears. If anything, people were inclined to believe that if they attracted the attention of the Security Bureau, then something unsavory would be dug up about them and used for blackmail. Only one had ever ended up a loose cannon of sorts – Terex. Most of them were deadly calm.

Though, there did remain a certain amount of questions of loyalty, at times, given the fact some worked close to, or within, the Resistance.

Swaying loyalties was a familiar fear and suspicion, but most would never. After all…they were being watched by every other member of the Security Bureau, and the First Order remained cut throat in competition.

Something was wrong here.

There was little time to investigate it, though he would certainly be sending the request on to Reveille. If she wasn’t already digging in to every little thing, or hadn’t already had Kos’tel’lanni or Garmuth do it.

Which, unbeknownst to him, she had.

Unbeknownst to him, Kos’tel’lanni had decided to take quite a bit of that research with her on her trip to Csilla and would be going through Althea’s records with a fine-toothed comb.

He wouldn’t provide Althea with the ‘normal’ answers, or even acknowledge that hers felt strange. Instead, he would say, “What convinced you that your fears were inaccurate?”

It didn’t take long for Kylo to receive the message that his ship was ready for departure at any time. Given the nature of the trip, he opted to fly the ship himself, lest he wanted unnecessary baggage with him. And didn’t know the exact duration of the trip. However long it took.

Reveille’s answer was short, though in the affirmative, which slightly annoyed him. She didn’t felt the need to update him on what she learned, either before or during that message?

I demand any new information you found.

Any additional information concerning their mysterious guests would be beneficial for his trip to Korriban. Either through questioning the spirits of the siths that dwelled there, a holocron left behind, or even signs that they were there at some point. He would be satisfied with anything.

And for some reason, Kylo sent another message soon after his previous one.

I need any new information about them before I head to Korriban.

He told her so she wouldn’t yell at him for disappearing for some length of time without warning. Yes, that was exactly why.

~~

The continued line of questioning did not sit well with Lavinia. Even if Hux didn’t comment on her answer, she still didn’t feel at ease. If anything, she wanted to assume he had her figured out, but only continued his little game to toy with her some more, perhaps for her to lower her guard. He wouldn’t try anything on the planet though, not when it would be so easy for her to make an escape.

She would have to make her decision before their meeting with Kasabian ended. Her life meant more to her than her job, and she was more useful alive than dead. From there she could make contact with some of her allies. Borran would help her. Maybe Seena if she felt particularly nice that day.

“When I realized that anyone, regardless of their branch, would be willing to sacrifice you if it meant saving their own skin.” She recognized the small ping of a notification from her datapad signaling a new message, but she ignored it for the moment to focus on Armitage’s line of questions.

She knew of several who have done the very same thing, and read reports on others. There were whispers that even Captain Phasma may have done just that. “If I had to do it all over, I would’ve gone into the Security Bureau with no hesitation.” The ship slowed down as they approached their destination. If her abilities made Hux suspicious, she would just have to withhold from doing them. Apparently even using them for his gain wasn’t enough to quell skepticism.

Kylo’s anger was expected. It was why Reveille ignored the flash of light from her datapad as the chair was welded into place. She took up the datapad and dismissed the droid when the job was done, the chair seamlessly welded into place.

‘Well. At least this was easy.’ She should go to the surface of Corellia, she knew, and start to weed out some of those criminal groups. She should also begin preparations for the next stage, and reach out to a few other politicians who might want to save their skin.

She was debating which of those things to do as she left her ship to walk back to the Bridge, noting Kylo’s message and his plans to go to Korriban. ‘Good.’ That kind of place might mean some sort of pilgrimage that would keep him occupied for a good, long while. She could accomplish quite a bit without him annoying her.

Still, she supposed she had to answer his damned question.

Zeme’lodi’csapala is the name of Darth Discord. Kos’tel’lanni knows of her. She has gone to gather further information.

That seemed vague enough. No need to mention the Chiss Ascendency and the likelihood they would find a way to purge Zeme’lodi’csapala themselves, and hopefully, Darth Nyx with her. That might just upset Kylo.

I hope your trip to Korriban provides more information.

An addition, a second message, before Reveille put the datapad in a pocket and strode onto the Bridge.

~***~

That much was accurate. Hux couldn’t even hide the snort that came with her assessment that the First Order was full of backstabbers who would do anything to climb the ladder. She hardly knew. “Unfortunately, it seems you won’t have that chance any longer, given Kylo Ren’s ruling, but perhaps when he dismisses you from this, a recommendation can be put in, though I doubt Reveille will approve it.”

Not now, anyway.

The ship found its way to a hangar and started to land. Armitage rose at that time, deciding to dismiss the topic, but noting, “You should check your datapad before we leave,” just in case it was something significant, or something that shouldn’t be checked while they were within a public area.

At least this ship was relatively private. Little was entirely private in the First Order, but it was at least better than anywhere outside the First Order.

Kylo arrived in the hangar before receiving the message. He frowned, hoping for more, but at least they were attempting to figure out more. They weren’t complete imbeciles. He didn’t need to demand them to do every damn thing.

Her second message provided him an idea. For one, while he was so far away from the First Order, he couldn’t risk Reveille going through with any plans that ended in his death or the death of his leadership. He needed a trustworthy eye on him, and what better way than to pull her along for the journey.

But that won’t be his reason for forcing her to accompany him. He paused at the ramp leading up to his ship in order to compose another message for the Admiral.

And you’ll know firsthand what information Korriban will provide. You’re coming with me. I need someone else who’ve encountered them.

He fully expected an argument against it. He expected her to bare her claws and strike at his command. But he could deal with that.

Be ready in your hangar soon.

And with that, he boarded the ship and readied for the trip to her ship.

~~

Lavinia swallowed her own snort that nearly came out. Oh no, she heavily doubted that Reveille would approve anything regarding her, except for shooting her out of an airlock. And if that woman oversaw the Security Bureau, then she definitely wouldn’t want to join. Though she didn’t wish to in the first place, but she carefully circumnavigated Armitage’s questions for now. She couldn’t mess up like that again.

She made a noise of acknowledgement at Hux’s suggestion. Remaining seated, she quickly navigated to the inbox, and her heart skipped a beat.

I hope no one has replaced me as your favorite troublemaker yet.

The sender ID was anonymous, but she instantly knew who the message was from. Poe fucking Dameron. She suppressed any visible signs of happiness that threatened to show, lest she wanted any further questions from Hux, and she locked the datapad before standing as well. “Nothing of importance, sir.”

She would have to wait until she had privacy once more before responding to the message before subsequently hiding any evidence of an unknown transmission.

Kylo’s message came on the heels of her own, and she glowered a bit. She’d hoped her own delay would inspire one from Kylo. Apparently not. Before she could start plotting a course, she was, apparently, being called away. ‘Are you kidding me?’ She would be useless on this kind of mission.

Kylo had to know that.

She felt her jaw clench, her hands tighten around the datapad. The desire to chuck it across the room was there, but she wouldn’t. She took a breath. Arguing was pointless, but she would be sure to make a point of it all the same.

Very well, if you wish to hinder the First Order’s progress in the Core, I shall accompany you.

She already knew Kylo’s answer, so she started to issue orders to the Bridge, as well as shoot off a quick message to Kos’tel’lanni to let her know to hasten her return from Csilla. The situation had changed. Reveille was going on yet another pointless mission with Kylo.

With the message sent, and things in order to maintain until Kos’tel’lanni returned, Reveille didn’t head immediately to the hangar, but first to her room to pack a bag of clothes, weapons, and rations.

Korriban wasn’t exactly a civilized world or one with any trade centers. Nowhere to acquire food or water. She wasn’t going without making sure she was going to live. Only when she had the bag packed did she head to the hangar.

~***~

Nothing of importance. Armitage gave a nod to that, accepting it for the time being. There was business to tend to, after all. As the ship settled, he opened the door and strode out. They had thankfully parked near the Opalescence. He called up to the cockpit, “You two are to come with us, at a distance.”

He heard the scramble as the pilots moved to leave the ship and make sure it would all be locked up. He paid little attention to it, instead direction his next words to Althea.

“Do you know where we will find Kasabian?” He inquired as he started to walk, the pilots stepping out only a few seconds after both he and Althea would have made their own exits from the ship.

She had given an idea about where to find their previous client. Perhaps she had some idea of where to find Kasabian, given he wouldn’t be able to recognize the woman. He wasn’t sure if Althea would be able to, either – though, likely, they would be recognized.

His face wasn’t the most obscure after the Hosnian Cataclysm.

Kylo had already took off when his datapad pinged with the response of Reveille. It hardly mattered though. He was in route to her ship, and even if she told him no, he would still show up. He would still come to get her for his mission, and she could be kicking and screaming for all he cared.

He couldn’t give her the chance to plot his demise behind his back. He’d rather her do it while he’s watching.

The jaunt took no time to arrive in the hangar. Already Reveille was there, waiting for him with a packed bag. Good. He wouldn’t have to drag her off as she protested every step of the way, but he did not doubt she would protest once on the ship.

The ramp lowered, but Kylo did not disembark. Instead, casually leaning against the frame of the entrance, he awaited at the top of the ramp. “So glad you could make it, Admiral.” His words were taunting. “The trip would’ve been dreadfully boring without you.”

~~

Lavinia dutifully followed Armitage off the ship, and quickly noted their location. While the name hinted at what sort of clientele they served, the location emphasized it’s opulence. It was situated on one of the many skyscrapers of Danon with nearly ever wall a giant, floor-to-ceiling window.

“No, I’m afraid I don’t. If she owns this place, then we can probably just ask someone.” She mentally chastise herself for not thinking to ask such a vital question. She wasn’t even sure of what the woman looked like. The image of a middle aged woman, skin roughened by harsh elements and dangerous life of the seedy underbelly of the galaxy.

They didn’t have to wonder too long about her whereabouts. An imposing man, taller than Armitage by a few inches and a build that had Lavinia wondering if he could snap her in half, walked up to them. “General Hux, Lieutenant Storax, Miss Kasabian is waiting for you. Follow me.”

Well, it seemed that Kasabian was one step ahead of them. She followed after him, taking little notice of the décor of the lounge. At least it was quieter than Canto Bight, though that wasn’t completely reassuring.

‘Cocky son of a….’ Reveille tried to quell the thought as she stared at Kylo while he leaned in the doorway. It was the sort of confidence she tended to like in others. Others who could back up that kind of confidence with competency. All Kylo had was the Force and his ability to instill fear in others.

A shame, really.

She’d hoped for more from him when she learned he killed Snoke. “There are plenty of other people you could have asked for who could serve as your entertainment, Supreme Leader, that wouldn’t have caused a great hindrance to the Order to remove from duty.” She stated as she marched up the ramp, her mood and temper hardly improving despite all the good it did her.

At least they weren’t taking her ship this time. No risk of further destruction to it.

She would step by him and into the ship, in any case, “But let’s get going. The less time wasted, the less progress lost.” If she was going to have to do this, she’d rather get it over with quickly.

~***~

Althea Storax had less information on Kasabian than she’d had on Atar. It was frustrating and he considered going back to gather that, or at least pause, but he wouldn’t. Kasabian was expecting them, and she ought to at least recognize him, if nothing else.

Indeed, she did.

Or rather, her guard did, who looked more imposing than Kylo Ren ever had, but Armitage was hardly phased. Dealing with Kylo Ren all of his life made him a bit more resistance to the show of physical intimidation guards and others attempted to display.

He gave a nod to the statement, and would follow, glancing around at the lounge. It was, thankfully, quieter. His guards followed after, but still kept their distance, clearly looking for places to blend in where they would also be able to see Hux and Althea.

Of course, that was going to depend on where they were brought, and how out-of-sight that location was. He did begin to wonder if they were going to be brought into some room that would be locked and private – more private than he’d like, given the bad taste Atar left in his mouth.

He backed up as Reveille ascended the ramp, his casual smirk never once fading. “I needed someone who was there and had a clear view of their face. I don’t think your Miraluka friend cares for me too much, and your Cadets fear me too much.” While he was certain of the validity of his statements, they were just simple excuses as to why he just had to bring her along.

“Besides, I thought you once said you trusted in the competency of your officers to keep things running smoothly?” He took his seat in the pilot’s chair and worked with the controls to depart once more. The ramp lifted as the ship turned on. Just a few seconds later, the ship exited the hangar and sent into hyperdrive.

Given the location of the planet, the two would have some time to kill before they arrived.

Kylo would be impressed if she didn’t attempt to kill him before they arrived. Pulled from her work and forced into a mission for an unforeseen amount of time with the one person she most likely hated the most, he would honestly be disappointed if an argument didn't break out.

~~

The guard led them to a seating area near the back, yet it still had full view of the room before them. Lavinia noticed a young woman, around her own age, with striking red hair that reminded her a bit like Armitage’s hair, wearing a form-fitting white dress. She was not the image that Lavinia expected, but she still had an air around her that demanded obedience.

“General Hux and Lieutenant Storax, it’s so nice to finally meet you.” She remained sitting on the plush semicircular sofa with her hands folded neatly in her lap. “Please, do take a seat.” She gestured to the empty space on the sofa across from her.

“It’s nice to meet you as well.” Lavinia took her seat on the couch, making sure to leave enough room for Hux. Kasabian was hard to read for her. With her lips quirked into a smirk, the woman almost held a knowing look in her eyes, and she certainly oozed confidence.

She certainly won’t be able to do to her what she did with Anolo.

“Can I offer you anything to drink? We have a fine selection of whiskeys and wines here.”

Reveille couldn’t imagine how the fact she had seen the faces of the two siths would make any difference at all on this mission. She hardly knew enough about the Force to argue, but she was fairly certain that Kylo Ren was bullshitting, either way.

She knew what it was to keep an enemy close, given the attention she paid Schaeffer.

“Running, yes. Progressing, no.” Reveille clarified. If Kos’tel’lanni were there, it would progress, a bit. Kos’tel’lanni would return, and move on with the plans to conquer the Core in her stead. It would not move so quick without her presence, but nonetheless, it would move.

She set her bag down on a bench before moving on towards the cockpit and taking the co-pilot’s seat, glancing as Kylo began to prepare it to leave. She took her datapad out, “How long do you expect your mission on Korriban to take?” She would hardly call it her mission, “And what, exactly, do you expect I’ll be able to do to help?”

Might as well learn what was expected, at least.

~***~

The pilots found their places further from the couch, but within plain sight all the same. Armitage took his seat after Althea, at her side across from the woman with red hair…in white. Already he had a feeling that could only mean bad things, if his sister was any example of the norm for women like that.

He shook his head at the offer, “No, thank you, Kasabian,” he would not drink here. The need to keep up formalities did not seem so present. “We have just finished meeting with Atar and I had quite my fill of such things in Canto Bight.”

If she was anything like Reveille, he thought one thing might entice her a bit. “I am sure you understand how trying that sort of experience can be.” If she knew Atar, then he imagined, he was as much a lech with her as he had been with Althea. He wasn’t expecting sympathy, but he did hope it might hasten things to the point if she understood that, perhaps, his mood had already been fouled.

Both of their moods.

He was also hoping she might prefer getting to the point rather than dragging it out, and that the information they had on Atar might lower the price without making another enemy.

Kylo focused intently on the controls before him to ensure a swift and safe departure as he mumbled out “Shame” in response to the lack of progression in her absence. The army still had General Hux, even if the man was running around the planets gathering sources. And he knew that the man wouldn’t try anything while Kylo was away, due to the woman he forced him with.

Did he fully believe that the general was harmless because he had someone watching him for Kylo? Not at all. But with his sister away as well, he didn’t expect a coup to happen anytime soon.

He glanced over when Reveille took her seat, and it wasn’t until he entered the coordinates for the planet that he turned his attention back to her. His chair shifted to face her, and his eyes flickered down to her datapad, briefly curious as to what she was doing.

“Hopefully no more than a day if everything goes smoothly.” Korriban was a hostile planet, and the weather was too unpredictable for him to be confident in a set schedule. There was also the matter of if he could actually find anything, or if the planet will just be a dead end. “And with our visual memory of the siths, I’m hoping for an increased chance at encountering one of the many sith spirits that dwell there. Or at the very least, you can help me determine if there is any evidence that the two of them have previously been there.”

~~

Aya raised one brow at Armitage’s declination and looked over to Lavinia for her answer, who also declined a drink. Even if all she wanted to do was to down the largest glass of whiskey they had. The woman shrugged at their answer and relaxed on the sofa, one arm moving to rest on the back of it.

She chuckled at the mention of Atar, a man who couldn’t seem to separate his vice with his business. “I am well aware of the kind of man Mister Atar can be. Too much for me, honestly. I only keep him around because he’s a decent businessman.” Lavinia resisted the urge to scoff. Surely a woman like her could easily find a replacement for that lecherous man.

“I don’t care for Canto Bight myself. Their use of slavery, child slavery at that, is far too despicable for my tastes.” She quickly smoothed over the disgust on her face with a neutral one before turning back to the officers in front of her. “Now, I believe your lieutenant here mentioned that you were looking to purchase some doonium?”

Lavinia chose to remain silent and let General Hux speak up for what exactly they needed. But Aya spoke up once more before either of the two had the chance to interject. “But before we get to that, please tell me why I should help the First Order? The Resistance has already reached out for assistance, and I know the two of you are in a nasty little war, so I had to turn them down for now until I got the opportunity to speak with you.”

Reveille did not mimic Kylo’s action. Her own chair remained pointed at the frontal viewport, though she did tilt her datapad a bit to be out of his sight. Not that she was really doing anything notable beyond looking into a few of the planets around Corellia and designating targets and plans.

At least Kylo didn’t think this would take long. She wasn’t going to rely on his assessment, but it meant he didn’t intend to be away from the work for long.

She wasn’t enthused with the thought of more sith, though – even in spirit form, “And still you refuse to allow the First Order any protection against the Force.” She was going to end up choked again. Or worse. “Even though you clearly see the need of it given hostile sith and jedi.” There was a part of her that hoped for grave injury, if only for her point to be proven without a doubt.

Then again, she didn’t want grave injury on herself, either.

“Does Korriban have cameras or something of that sort? I am not sure how I would know that it was the two siths we encountered and not some other vagabond who had the misfortune of stepping foot on Korriban.” Her gaze didn’t lift from the datapad. Her attention wasn’t really in the argument, since it was utterly pointless, but she still wanted Kylo to know that she disagreed with being there, all the same.

~***~

Aya Kasabian did get right to the point after the declinations. However, she would not allow negotiations for prices to begin immediately. It seemed she needed to be convinced to help the First Order.

One of her weaknesses was visible – slavery. She made no secret of that.

“On the matter of slavery, we agree,” he stated, “And as you have seen, the leader of the Resistance, General Leia Organa, has no ability to put an end to slavery, if she even intends to do such a thing,” Armitage noted, “As a Senator in the New Republic, she did nothing to change how things were. She fights now to restore the Republic, which will only continue to allow the Outer Rim to be run by gangsters, pirates, and slavers.”

He shook his head, “I have no intent to allow that to remain the norm. If you wish to see an end to slavery and an end to the corruption of the Core worlds and their so-called Republic, then you should be in favor of supporting the First Order. In fact, for assistance in acquiring doonium, I am even willing to let you know of a slaver you already support and work with. I would put them out of my misery on my own terms, but perhaps you would prefer the opportunity?”

He made a point not to gender them, less it be obvious he referred to Atar. It may still be obvious, but he did not imagine that Aya Kasabian would go by just words alone. She would need more.

Reveille saw the need to bring up protection against the Force once more, which he viewed as an attack against him. If he allowed her to continue the research into technology to protect against Force users, then what would stop her from utilizing such technology to best him or even kill him?

“And you know exactly why I refuse that.” A flicker of anger sparked within, but he willed it away with a deep breath and turning away from the source of his irritation to face the viewport. “Besides, investing time, energy, and credits to protect against a minor threat is a waste.”

And he would not be forced to serve someone like her because of the invention of such objects.

He felt his eye twitch in annoyance when Reveille decided to continue her questions. “No, there aren’t cameras.” He slowly exhaled, reminding himself he brought her along for a reason. “The Sith Temple isn’t exactly known to be a tourist destination. Anyone who goes there has a reason as to why they’re there.”

~~

The reasons Armitage explained to Aya caused discomfort for Lavinia. Not because they were outright lies about General Organa’s actions, but because she didn’t know if they were lies or truths. The Resistance were actively fighting to ensure that the First Order didn’t win, but was that it? Were they going to actively do anything to help abolish the unsavory businesses that ran in the Outer Rim?

No, she shouldn’t be putting such thoughts in her head. The Resistance will do anything to make the galaxy a better place for all.

Aya didn’t hesitate to voice her own questions for Armitage. “I do find it irritating that the New Republic made no attempts to abolish such practices. I would be surprised if some of them even benefitted from the trade.” One leg crossed over the other, revealing the split in her dress at the flash of her leg. “It certainly doesn’t surprise me that one of my partners is in the business, though I would love to know their name so I can have a little chat with them.”

The intention behind her words did not go unnoticed by Lavinia, and, for a split second, she felt some pity for Atar. “But how do I know these aren’t just false promises? How can I be sure that you will do exactly what you promise? Every other politician lies their way into power, so what makes you different?”

Reveille did know exactly why Kylo protested it. “You did not seem to think it was such a light threat before,” given his fears of Luke Skywalker, he had let that consume him. He was, apparently, also quite afraid of her having that protection, despite what his skill in battle and bulk might otherwise suggest.

He was an idiot. But a cautious idiot.

She tapped open information on Denon. It seemed like it might be a good next world, if not Abednedo. They were both on the Corellian Run, and she needed to start securing the hyperspace lanes.

“You also seemed to do such a good job against the Sith we encountered today. And the Scavenger, historically.” Did he consider it might protect him, as well? He had the skills to fight, and greater strength than most. No doubt, those Sith would have faltered without their link to the Force.

No matter. “But I suppose that is for you to judge, Supreme Leader. And I am sure you can tell the homeless individual who made their home in a temple just what you’ve told me when they shank you because you didn’t keep your guard up for tourists.” Reveille could imagine tourists there. Archeologists. Unfortunate souls who’s ships crashed and they ended up stranded. Honestly, that Kylo thought such things didn’t happen seemed, well, naïve. “Or the archeologist who shoots us for trespassing onto a closed site.”

~***~

“I’m not a politician,” Armitage stated when she thought to lump him in with their ilk. He rather despised politicians for that exact reason. His gaze did not leave Kasabian’s face as she adjusted. He noticed she adjusted, but he didn’t see the glint of metal so he didn’t glance away. “I do not stand on a platform of good intentions I have no plans on keeping, nor do I intend to shirk responsibility for what has happened under the First Order.”

The Hosnian Cataclysm was something he was fairly proud of. He would defend his actions, and his decisions, going forward. He wasn’t building his reputation as a liar. “I have no plans to play the game to gain wide support from an audience. Many of my actions and the actions of the First Order have been seen as detestable, but I find them necessary to create something resembling order in this galaxy, and to establish equality throughout it.”

If he was a politician, he would have cared more about popular opinion or winning people over. He did not. He was not like the Emperor before him, who had played a game of illusions and deceit to win things over.

He was, if anything, too straightforward. Too vehement. It didn’t mean he couldn’t lie, and couldn’t deceive – far from it – but he did not want the image of the First Order itself to be tarnished by that. Internal issues and affairs? Fine. Person matters? Fine. But the image of the First Order should be pristine and honest. “I also have evidence behind my words of who is in the business of the slave trade. If you do not find yourself willing to do business with the First Order, you will still see them put down by the First Order.”

She would know. Action would be taken, if Kasabian was never given the information. It depended on her willingness to work with them.

She was right, and that irked him. He was obsessed with destroying Luke Skywalker, and everyone in the First Order knew of it. Kylo told himself that was different. Luke was an exception and had to be stopped. But was it really any different? Luke bested him on Crait, just as the Scavenger bested him twice now, and just as the two siths bested him on Corellia.

He was weak, and he allowed others to see that weakness. He hated himself for it, and he hated Reveille for prying into that weakness.

He hated how she kept jabbing into that sore spot. “It won’t happen again.” His fingers clenched onto the armrests of his seat. For a moment, Kylo felt as if he was back in the throne rom, on his knees as Snoke chastise and punish him for yet another mistake. He wasn’t good enough. He wasn’t powerful enough.

He had to prove them wrong.

Reveille continued to run her damn mouth. Kylo suddenly stood up and stalked further into the ship and away from her. Away from the voices that taunted him and his weaknesses. His fists flexed by his side, and the sound of his heart pounding in his chest blurred out any other noise momentarily.

~~

Aya lifted an eyebrow at Armitage’s tenacity. “Your decision to destroy the Hosnian system was a bold one.” As she spoke, her head turned to look out the window they were seated next to, her gaze focusing on nothing in particular as ships flew by. “A decision I can’t really approve of or not, but you managed to send the message you intended with such an act.”

She turned to look at them again, eyes flickering over to the silent lieutenant before settling on Armitage. There was a moment of silence as Aya observed Armitage and considered his words. “If you can guarantee those promises with as much veracity as your words, then I can offer you something more than just doonium.”

Lavinia had a feeling where Aya was leading with this conversation, but she couldn’t do anything to stop it. Even if she didn’t already arose suspicion in Hux, any attempt to dissuade Armitage from continuing business with her would likely result in too many questions for her.

“Stay true to your words and help clean up the galaxy, and I will offer you my full alliance. All the resources and credits you may need, within reason.” Lavinia wanted out of there. She wanted to find the nearest restroom and hurl her guts up as her mind swam with doubt. “But I would like to know which of my friends have been acting a little naughty.”

Reveille glanced up only as Kylo rose, and moved away. She half-expected to hear the infamous sound of the lightsaber as he lashed out at more innocent furniture. His anger was obvious. She didn’t feel any sympathy for him, though.

She just took a deep breath and adjusted her position a bit to make sure she wasn’t too close to the edge of the seat. She would keep herself attuned to any sound of the lightsaber, in case he did opt to lash out against something.

Or someone.

It was going to be a long trip, but at least she could use the time to finish up her research on a few planets, and that was what she would continue to do for a while – until she ran out of planets to research, or Kylo returned.

If he didn’t return before then, she’d eventually shift over to one of her ridiculous games to pass the time. It wasn’t often she had downtime for such things, after all.

~***~

Aya Kasabian offered more than doonium – an alliance. Armitage arched his brows. He would need to clear that with the Supreme Leader and Reveille, of course – make sure that Aya checked out, but it was hardly something he intended to state there, or refuse, for that matter. “I had hoped you would see my reasoning.” He said calmly, “And you will continue to see such action by the First Order. I believe you will be able to see some of it in what has gone on in Corellia,” the decimation of many criminal organizations, and the clearing out of others, from what Reveille told him last.

It would soon be news, if it wasn’t already. He didn’t really check the HoloNews.

“However, before we go further, let’s first settle the matter of doonium. When we have finished the arrangements for that, I will give you the name and information of who is in the slave business,” Armitage said.

First things first.

“I need 190 tons of doonium, though I am certainly in the market for more if we can settle on a good price,” given how much of a deal he’d managed with Atar, he had more to spend on such things.

It seemed that the harder Kylo fought, Snoke’s words echoed even louder in his mind. No, he was dead. He shouldn’t still have such a hold on him anymore, and yet he did. There’s no need to fear him anymore. He’s gone.

Those weren’t his thoughts, but they calmed him down all the same. He had to repeat those words over and over, each time another layer of anger melting away. He accepted for now that he wasn’t the best, that he needed to train harder. Kylo will focus his rage and frustration to his training. He will be better.

The moment lasted a lifetime in Kylo’s mind, but he was only gone for a few minutes. He returned, calmer than before, and spared no glance in Reveille’s direction. It was largely her fault that he slipped into the mindset to begin with. Would it truly be terrible if he left her behind on Korriban?

“We should be there within an hour,” he finally spoke up. The galaxy’s longest hour if Reveille continued to shoot off questions at him. Maybe he could lock her in one of the rooms in the back of the ship until their arrival.

~~

Aya lightly hummed in response to Armitage. “I heard something about what was going on Corellia, but I couldn’t be bothered to listen to the idle gossip. The planet has certainly gone downhill in recent years, and it desperately needed to be cleaned.” She made a mental note to look further into their current activities on the planet.

All the while, Lavinia berated herself for turning down the glass of whiskey she really needed now.

“Ah, so a business first, fun later kind of guy. I like that.” With a snap of her fingers, her guard appeared beside her and handed her a datapad. “Why thank you, Gilad.” With a grunt, he returned to his spot, where he had a view of the entire room.

“So, 190 tons you say?” Slender fingers poked at the screen to bring up the needed information. “I’m sure we can strike a deal that will be beneficial to both of us. We both have similar desires, and I would love to see them come to fruition.” She turned the datapad around so the two could see the numbers displayed.

Lavinia leaned forward a bit to get a better look at what she offered. A little bit pricier than the number Lavinia compiled, but still far better than the price Atar offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back