• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fight for Control [closed]

Kylo wordlessly led the way to his own ship, which rested within sight of Reveille’s. His eyes briefly followed Schaeffer as he marched back off to Reveille’s ship, but he focused once more on the short path ahead of him. As they approached, the ramp descended for the two to walk onboard.

Two pilots stood by the cockpit, posture straight as they awaited orders from the Supreme Leader. “The admiral and myself need some privacy.” Without another word, they exited down the ramp and off the ship, only to await further order right beside the ship, but as to where words exchanged between Kylo and Reveille would go undetected by them.

“Please, take a seat.” He looked at Reveille as if he expected her to do what he said. The subject of Matja would be a complex one, and one that was unlikely to go away anytime soon. He still didn’t understand why he simply couldn’t just kill the man. Fists clenched tightly, he himself remained standing.

~~

The momentary expression of surprise did not go unnoticed by Lavinia, and she inwardly congratulated herself on managing to shock the General, albeit briefly. Finally, a glimpse of humanity beneath his cold and stoic exterior.

More than adequate, he says. I think I look damn good. But, coming from the man, that will probably be the best compliment to receive. At least, concerning looks. “Thank you, Lieutenant-Admiral, for allowing me to borrow this dress. I’ll be sure to return it in perfect condition.” She knew it just had to have cost quite a few credits. The fabric felt expensive enough.

“Well, we mustn’t keep Canto Bight waiting.” She nodded once more at Kos’tel’lanni to indicate her thanks and turned towards Armitage, expecting him to lead the way to his ship. Pity they couldn’t gamble while there. She wanted to test her dress out on some of the...easier men who loved to show their fortune off.

Reveille glanced to the pilots, actually rather surprised that Kylo didn’t pilot his own ship. Then again, she didn’t pilot hers, despite knowing she could do a better job than Rani when it came to her ship. A TIE? She’d give Rani the credit.

She did arch a brow as she was directed to sit, while he clearly remained standing. Perhaps he would sit after her? Unlikely.

Nonetheless, it was a petty fight she didn’t need right then, and so she took a seat, crossing one leg over the other, white fabric falling away to show just where one of her blades had been the entire time, strapped to her thigh. The slit would have made it easy enough to access had it been needed, but when she was standing it fell in a way to hide it well.

She gestured to him, “Where would you like to begin, Supreme Leader?”

~***~

Kos’tel’lanni was fairly certain that Storax would keep her word. After all, there would be hell to pay if the dress wasn’t returned, but it went without saying. She gave an inclination of her head, but offered little else beyond a farewell to both the General and his aide, before she would leave her own quarters to head to the bridge once more.

Armitage did lead the way, feeling a bit out of place even on his own ship as Althea walked along with him in that red dress. He would likely feel underdressed even when he donned the suit, plain as it was. He usually didn’t care – at Canto Bight he wore his uniform and that was it.

There was no need to try and match them.

He didn’t want to be like them.

The march to the hangar wouldn’t be long, but certainly, enough time to satisfy one curiosity, “Was there a particular reason you decided to pick that dress?” She had been the one to suggest a change in attire. He had expected something…less vibrant.

Perhaps she knew more about what passed in Canto Bight.

Or perhaps red was just her favorite color.

Despite suggesting for Reveille to sit, Kylo was a bit shocked that she actually did so without a word of protest. Maybe she was finally learning. Maybe she was too exhausted to fight after their intense meeting with Tarkin. Maybe she had more to hide and simply did as asked to lure him into a false sense of leadership.

He didn’t know with her and that infuriated him.

With the shift of her legs, his eyes fell to the object that shouldn’t have been there in the corner of his eye. Well, that was certainly interesting. “Do you consider Governor Tarkin a friend, Admiral?”

Body language earlier certainly didn’t show such a relationship. And he recalled the earlier emotions that radiated from Reveille. “I know you wouldn’t arm yourself against me with such a petty weapon, which only leads to one other option. So, please enlighten me on your relationship with Governor Tarkin.”

~~

Lavinia was aware of a few glimpses she received along the corridors. No doubt not many officers were accustomed to a vivid red dress being worn on the ship. Her head held high as she enjoyed the moments not spent in the drab uniform she wore every day. The First Order really needed some color.

She shrugged at the question. “It was the first one to catch my eye.” And she figured Armitage would be appreciative if she didn’t spend forever deciding between fifteen different dress. “Plus I’ve always enjoyed the color red.” Whether it was the rich ruby tones of her dress or the rhodocrosite rich soil of Crait, she always found herself fond of the color.

“Do you find the dress to your liking?” She recalled the shocked expression from earlier before he quickly composed himself, and she herself was curious as to what he truly thought. No doubt she was showing more skin than he was used to seeing in the First Order. Her lower arms were bare, save for the loose fabric that flowed passed them, and the neckline dipped low on her chest.

Truly a scandalous sight compared to the conservative uniforms.

‘Oh no, not just a friend, a friend with benefits, Ren.’

Reveille did not say that, even if she wanted to, just to make a point of how little she did know Matja. “Supreme Leader, if you ever find me unarmed, something is quite wrong. I am never without weapons.” She indicated. It was not solely because of Matja Tarkin, that was simply how she operated.

He shouldn’t be surprised by that.

“In regards to your concerns about Governor Tarkin, this was our first meeting in person. Prior to the Hosnian Cataclysm, I had been speaking with Yularen. After that, Governor Tarkin began to respond personally, which led us to agreeing to meet in person to discuss plans for the galaxy. Do I trust him? No – but that would be like asking you if you trust me, or my brother. Governor Tarkin is, potentially, a good ally. If he turns against us, we are at risk of losing allies we already have.”

His influence, his name, was enough to sway people, the way General Organa’s name would sway people. If he went to Leia? Plenty of neutral parties would shift sides. “We have no prior relationship beyond a few conversations that have helped to set this up, and a few shared interests in stealth technology, Force technology, and Wild Space.”

~***~

It was no wonder it caught the eyes. The color alone was vibrant enough to do that. There was, thankfully, enough draping fabric that the exposed fleshed seemed mostly covered, but some movements caused that fabric to reveal more of it. It was certainly not standard, nor would such a style ever be standard amongst the First Order.

It was no surprise that red was, also, among her favorite colors.

At her question, he was certainly torn between how to answer. Althea wore it well. She could have easily fit in to Canto Bight. It was for that reason that Armitage also disliked it. “It is a good choice for our mission. You will be both noticeable for the chosen hue, and blend in perfectly with the rest of the crowd of sycophants. I suppose for that reason, I cannot like it, no matter how well it may suit your appearance,” he acknowledged.

There was no denying that she wore it well, and it looked good on her, but there was also no separating the thought of what it made her look like, either, given where they were going – and he just detested those sorts of people, too shallow to care about the larger galactic concerns. “Perhaps on another occasion, or another mission, I would not be distracted by the context of the mission and be able to provide a more honest opinion.”

As it was, ‘vapid heiress’ seemed an apt descriptor, and far too insulting to pass his lips when he didn’t want her to be so insulted. After all – vapid heiress fit the mission.

I am never without weapons. Another reason he found Reveille similar to her brother. Both were untrusting of everyone around them, a common trait for those in the First Order. Kylo understood. Rarely would he be found without his lightsaber, even if he did possess the ability to throw someone across the room without touching them.

He never knew when he would encounter another Force user. Or that scavenger.

Kylo made no further comment on her weapon. His attention instead shifted towards who seemed to be the man of the hour, Governor Matja Tarkin. A man who Reveille didn’t trust herself, yet still wished to work with him. And for valid reasons. He didn’t wish for the current neutral planets to shift their allegiance to the Resistance, despite how small they may seem at the moment. With Tarkin’s alliance? That would change in the matter of days.

“And what is your opinion of him after this meeting?” Maybe she had nothing new to add. Or maybe she would lie about her true thoughts on the man. “Do you believe he contains any hidden agenda for an alliance with us?”

~~

Armitage flubbed the answer far too much, and Lavinia resisted the urge to chuckle at his attempt. “It suits my appearance, you say?” Of course the man only thought of the dress in the context of their mission. Did he ever have a sexual thought? Or did he only think things in relation to his grand plans for the galaxy?

“Careful, General, or I may think you’re trying to compliment me.” She did smile at her own joke, further imagining Armitage complimenting anyone on physical traits. If it didn’t pertain to the First Order, then it wasn’t worth his breath. “It’s okay to just call me pretty.”

The journey to the hangar was short, and due to the nature of the visit, Armitage’s ship was ready for their mission to Canto Bight. She wondered what sort of suit Armitage had for the mission, and if it was anything special, or if he only had a plain suit for some unknown reason. I highly doubt that General Hux has a suit that will stand out in any way.

Perhaps Matja had patience for people not politically apt, but Reveille often found it a drain, “He has plenty of agendas. Were he to align with us, it would be for personal gain, just as if he aligned with the Resistance. He has to weigh which suits his own needs better. The Resistance would not grant him anything beyond his current positions.”

The First Order could grant him power as overseer, as Wilhuff had once been. They could give him more, official, authority, but this man was not Wilhuff.

This man was not someone who wanted what the First Order wanted, “Based on recordings of New Republic Senate meetings, Governor Tarkin seems to be a staunch Centrist, but not in the traditional sense of desiring a single leadership. That will certainly cause a clash at some point, as we secure more worlds, and he becomes more comfortable with his position in our schemes. It is a problem for later, but one he will likely be scheming about before ‘later’ occurs.”

How they addressed it, how they handled it, was yet to be seen, “Killing him will only spark the turn to the Resistance sooner. Even when the Resistance is gone, it could split our ranks.” She was more than aware of how some in the Order were more ‘Imperialists’ than adherents to the First Order code of conduct.

Tarkin remained synonymous with the Empire. And if he stepped into their circle, his own circle of allies would increase.

~***~

Armitage almost grumbled as Althea suggested he was trying to compliment her. Of course, he was, but he was trying to compliment her intelligence in looking the role, without insulting what that role looked like. She offered a word, and he just sighed as it was extended, stating, “That would be downplaying your capabilities. The dress does more than make you seem pretty.”

The material was clearly expensive, and it played with showing and hiding much with its drapes, making her that perfect, classic, heiress.

Though it could be entirely a fluke and she just liked the dress, abilities of foresight and situational awareness be damned. She did claim to like red.

Still, as they came into the ship and he stepped into the vessel, he moved right to the closet where he’d hung his own suit, shouting up, “We can depart to Canto Bight now!” while he made a beeline to a room to change into the plain black suit, the silver embellishments hardly seeming like enough now.

Reveille’s knowledge on the inner working of Matja irritated him. Not for anything she was responsible for, but for the information he now had on Tarkin. The man possessed so much that Kylo needed, and yet due to his nearly untouchable status, Kylo had to traverse traditional politics and maintain certain appearances.

If he didn’t have to talk to Tarkin again, he would be all too happy. But he just didn’t have that luck.

“So we should continue to be his little pawns in his game.” He would need to learn to tolerate the man in the future. “Hope that he accepts our offer, and we’ll proceed to feign necessary niceties until we’ve further secured more worlds.” After that? He didn’t know for sure. Such strategy would need to be thoroughly thought out, meaning he would need to entrust someone else with those plans.

Yet he trusted no one.

Also, Reveille posed another good reason for Kylo to finish wiping out the Resistance. So Tarkin had no other side to turn to should he decide to do so. And there was the matter of potentially split ranks under his rule. That simply could not happen. Those who did not fully follow the First Order’s agenda needed to be dealt with swiftly.

“We’ll need to keep a tight leash on him, especially as it seems he’ll be running his own planet after we’ve secured it.” With that, Kylo raised one eyebrow as he looked at Reveille, recalling her plans she listed off to Matja. If Kylo had any say, he would be the sole ruler, with only those closest to him aiding in more planet-side businesses.

~~

Armitage’s words shocked Lavinia into momentary silence. They were beyond what she expected, and they offered more than what she tried to tease from him. She knew she looked perfect for the role of a rich socialite for Canto Bight. Did he also suggest that she had great strategy for planning ahead with her outfit? Surely he didn’t focus solely on looks.

She hadn’t said anything further before Armitage grabbed his suit and hurried to a room to change. As the pilots readied the ship for departure, she sat once again on the bench she previously occupied on her travels in Armitage’s ship.

The upcoming mission rested heavy on her mind. The risk for everything to go wrong was always great. And she didn’t know what kind of character their seller was. Would he make things easy? Or, like every other businessman who frequents Canto Bight, would he make things as difficult as possible to cut himself the better deal?

Lavinia bet her life on the latter.

Why do you care? She didn’t know why she pretended to care about the outcome of this transaction. Because I don’t need to be working alongside a pissy Hux.

“Sector,” Reveille dared to clarify when Kylo noted that Tarkin would have his own planet, “He runs the Seswenna Sector in truth already, though not in name. Not in…obvious name.” He was Imperator of the Seswenna Sector. That title suggested his military authority, which, really, was all the authority he needed.

The Mottis had also, always, been loyal to the Tarkins.

“It is to our benefit to begin that sort of system. Obviously, with the Supreme Leader at the head of it all, but even the Emperor dictated lesser concerns and planetary operations to trusted intermediaries,” like Wilhuff Tarkin, who had started as a mere moff and rose to Grand Moff.

More than that – the galaxy was too large for Kylo to deal with every single issue that came up on every single planet.

~***~

Somehow, the suit still fit. If anything, it seemed a bit looser. Armitage supposed he had actually lost weight since those days; his eating schedule was more erratic, and it wasn’t as if he had grown any taller. He was still irritated by how it made him feel so…inadequate. The suit was from when he had graduated the cadets. It had no signifier of rank, or who he was.

It was hinted in the silver, and the way the collar of the jacket had those three silver lines outlining it.

He had made no secret of his ambitions early on, and he wanted a pointed sign at his father, too. He was coming for his position. For his head.

It had taken too long, but it had happened, six years after that graduation.

He smoothed it down, and sighed. He would just have to deal with it, and so he stepped out, and unconsciously joined Althea on the same bench once again. There was little else but the mission to focus on, so he inquired, “Do you know much about either of our sellers?” There was another potential one, if they could afford the time.

Kylo paused when Reveille corrected him, but he moved on as if it was something insignificant in their conversation.

Which it was, yet the insignificant moments often provoked the ire of Kylo.

“And so he shall lead the Seswenna Sector in order to make the man happy.” But that wouldn’t last forever. The Tarkin line has been around for far too long. It was time for all that to end, but first, Kylo had to somehow guarantee that they wouldn’t lose any allies should the Tarkins fall.

“What was next in your plans while we wait for Governor Tarkin’s answer?” He still didn’t have a fully fledged plan, and he didn’t intend on telling Reveille this secret.

The milestones were there, yet he didn’t have any clue of the smaller steps to get there.

~~

Lavinia mindlessly drummed her fingers on her thigh as she waited for the man to finish, which fortunately didn’t take long. One thing she could rely on was that he didn’t take long to do anything, unless it pertained to work for the First Order.

And the man did not disappoint. He was quick in changing to the other suit. Lavinia glanced over as he returned. Although the color largely remained the same as his uniform, the fit was different, as were the embellishments. She found herself surprised with how different he looked with such subtle changes.

As the man took a seat at her side, she cleared her throat. “Unfortunately not too much. I just know that Anolo Atar has a finger dipped in many different businesses, and Aya Kasabian tends to deal with business deals of more unsavory matters.” But she couldn’t say much on their personalities or what they like.

She debated commenting on the suit. Maybe lightly mock him by stating how she thought he looked ‘appropriate’ in it.

But he already detested the idea of changing to begin with.

Reveille had half-expected an argument from Kylo. That he wouldn’t want to give that much power over to Matja, ever. However, he didn’t argue it in the least, just rolled with it. She tried not to get her hopes up that he’d stay this reasonable. He asked of her plans, after all.

They hadn’t cleared or discussed any plans. A part of her certainly regretted dragging the Supremacy back to the Core, but that had been necessary for the First Order’s continuing achievements.

“I had intended to continue conquering the Core. We have taken Theater On—Corusca Sector, Bormea sector, the Kuat sector, and others. I was looking at the Corellian Sector. All intelligence points to the Acolytes of the Beyond going that way, and I want to make sure they’re purged before they can gather a larger following.”

They had been in Coruscant for the most part – not that they weren’t on other worlds, but they had escaped her on Coruscant and jumped to Corellia. They had the potential to become an ally to Tarkin, though never the Resistance. Their fanatical worship of the Emperor and the Dark Side of the Force were chaotic in nature; they’d been operating since the fall of the Empire, but their activities had sparked anew with the Hosnian Cataclysm.

There were rumors that they were trying to ‘restore’ the Emperor, which while Reveille did not think it was possible, the fact was that such rumors were a problem and they needed to be stopped, before they further split the ranks of the First Order.

~***~

Althea knew little of their buyers, both of them. Armitage knew better than to expect much – she was just a data analyst before this, after all. That she knew anything at all should have been a surprise, but he was still a bit disappointed. “I suppose we shall have to hope that neither of them are the sort to try and hassle or haggle too much.”

Which, he knew, was unlikely.

Especially of a seller in Canto Bight.

He took his datapad into sight briefly to check for any messages or updates. Nothing had come through from either Reveille or Kylo yet. He wondered if the meeting with Matja could really take so long, or if it had gone that poorly. He knew he shouldn’t be anxious, but he was. He also wanted to know if he could move on with the appointment of the new captain.

As it was, he just shifted it back into his pocket. No point trying to send follow-ups. They were busy, and he knew it. “What sort of unsavory deals do you know of Aya to participate in?”

“And surely with those sectors already conquered, the rest of the Core will hopefully fall just as easily.” But Reveille brought up the issue of the Acolytes of the Beyond. He was familiar with their name and their fanaticism, going beyond his own extreme focus on Darth Vader and the Dark Side.

And yet that familiar tugging sensation in his mind never ceased when his thoughts shifted to Darth Vader in his attempt to be just like his grandfather. The pull of the Light. It still invaded his mind every chance it got.

“Eliminating the Acolytes of the Beyond will be the next focus before they have a chance to grow and pose a large threat to our plans.” They were small now, but so was the Resistance. Either one had the chance to flourish and enlarge their own support system that would pose a great risk. Anyone in his way needed to perish immediately.

“See to it that we have a presence in the Corellian sector as soon as possible. We mustn’t let those vermin breed.”

~~

“I could lie to you, General, and say that that won’t happen, but we both know that’s not true.” The art of haggling for the best price was one of the first things any great businessman learns. It was something her father taught her, back when she would stay up past her bedtime as a child and sneak into her father’s office while he worked. He entertained her childlike curiosity and taught her a few things in hopes it would put her to sleep.

It only made Lavinia more curios.

She dared to glance over at Armitage’s datapad, yet nothing of interest appeared. Her gaze quickly adverted away, instead focused on a piece of lace on her dress that seemed to have caught her interest. Shame she had to give it back.

“Take what I say with a grain of salt, General. I’m not sure how correct I am, but she has her toes dipped in various black markets across many planets of the Outer Rim, and maybe some of the Mid Rim. She loves to get her hands on illegal weapons and spice, and some rumors even have her dabbling in the slave trade.” From what she knew, the woman loved to get her hands on money, and did anything in her power to do so.

It was the plan. The more sectors that fell, the easier it would be to take over others. It would go to show the size of the First Order, as well as their power. Kuat and Corusca had, thankfully, fallen with little resistance. Bormea had been another story entirely, but nonetheless, it fell. Corellia would likely be a mixed bag.

The Acolytes of the Beyond weren’t, themselves, an army. And Corellia was mostly Republic aligned. Some criminals there would easily flip to the First Order if bribed well enough. Others were smarter than that and knew what was in store for them. Resistance there would be more of the guerilla variety, and require quite a bit more monitoring of the planet than some others.

Criminals were crafty, after all.

Reveille rose as Kylo gave the command to see it done, “Then if you will excuse me, Supreme Leader, I will return to the Exigency and take my forces to the Corellia Sector to see it done.” As immediately as he desired.

After all, there was no time to waste.

~***~

Armitage wouldn’t have appreciated those sorts of lies, anyways. He wasn’t thrilled with the thought of having to play that sort of game. At least the Sienar family didn’t waste his time with haggling, though that was likely thanks to Commander Sienar.

He did listen about Aya, and his nose wrinkled in disgust at the mentions of ‘spice’ and ‘slave’. “I cannot wait until the day these trades are finally stopped.” Slavery in particular, but he was hardly a fan of the spice trade. Perhaps legalized it could be useful for money, but the way it was now was just atrocious.

Not to mention he wasn’t even sure if legalized he’d care for it.

He had seen what it did to a few of his commanders, Malarus in particular coming to mind. At least she was dead. “I don’t suppose you know how trustworthy those rumors are? I would hardly enjoy ending up in a trap,” he recalled how Terex operated with his own ‘slaves’. Each of them high-ranking officials of various resistant groups, in order to gather information on said groups and control their actions.

It was too easy to imagine someone else might try something similar.

Kylo needed Corellia to fall. Not only for the sake of the First Order and his grand plan, but for more personal matters. As it was the home world of Han Solo, it still linked him to his deceased father. But if he could watch it fall under his control, then maybe he could further push away that tug towards the Light he felt continuously within.

Even now.

But Reveille need not know this connection. She need not know his motivation and call him out on his weakness.

He’s never visited Corellia. As far as he knew, the planet made up of many who were like Han Solo. Smugglers and criminals who would do anything for money. A chaotic planet who needed his ruling to ease them into a new future.

“I expect updates on how the endeavor is going.” He was half tempted to follow her to Corellia to see how things unfold. “And if one person from the Acolytes of the Beyond slips past you, I will hear about it.” With unspoken promises of retribution.

~~

Had Lavinia not carefully watched herself, a visible expression of surprise would’ve crossed her face at Armitage’s declaration of wishing for the trades to be stopped. Even though she has been in the First Order for some time, the topic of slave or spice trades have never crossed her path, so she simply thought they either didn’t care or were perpetuators of it.

And yet, to at least their General, the opposite was true.

“One day, they will be.” While she held no opinion on the spice trade, she yearned for a day where she can see all living creatures in the galaxy free.

The topic shifted back to their other potential seller, and she shifted on the bench in order to smooth out the fabric of her dress skirts. “I can’t be too certain, but if this has any merit, all the rumors are fairly consistent. There must be some truth to them.” And if she truly cared to find out the truth, she could attempt to send a message to an old contact of hers who may know more on the matter. “Are you rethinking on meeting with her?”

‘Finally.’

Reveille was free to go back to what she was good at, which was getting shit done. Kylo did not sound as if he was prepared to follow her this time, either. This boded well for her plans with that sector, though she didn’t say as much. “You will receive updates as they are able to be sent,” Reveille stated.

Likely not as frequently as he’d like, but she could hardly pause to give minute-by-minute updates.

She didn’t stay in the Exigency the entire time during these ventures, and she wouldn’t now. She would have to muster her forces quickly for the move, and try to barter with Terex once more. At least when it came to the Acolytes that wasn’t difficult; their destruction promised him loot of the Empire. So long as Reveille let him take it, there were no issues.

She would move to leave his ship then, to return to her own, where Schaeffer was, once again, leaning in that damn doorway. “Prepare for a move to Corellia.” It was a simple command to scramble a few of the cadets to join. They would be part of the ground forces, after all.

Few had the sort of skills the cadets did.

Schaeffer arched his brows, but hardly questioned it, “You will be targeting Kiza. If she gets off the world alive, you don’t.”

Only a slight chuckle parted his lips, “She will die, then.” She was the known – or visible – leader of the Acolytes of the Beyond now, known for her mask and her red saber, though they all knew that the Acolytes supposedly were led by Sith Spectre, as they called it.

Still. Kiza needed to die.

The door shut after that exchange and Schaeffer moved to make his calls to bring some of the cadets to the Exigency for the Battle of Corellia and begin figuring who the actors were for this new theater.

Reveille moved to the front of the ship where Rani and Jinah were, and she slipped into the pilot’s seat, “Rani, you’ll prepare Cacophony alongside Silencer for an attack on Corellia when we arrive. No delays. Jinah, I’ll need you at my side, we’re going planetside to Corellia soon, and I need help tracking the Acolytes.”

“Understood,” he gave a solemn nod. Most weren’t actually Force-sensitive, but they had relics which vibrated loudly in the Force.

She worked through preparing the ship for lightspeed, before immediately shooting off messages to Kos’tel’lanni, Terex, and a few others she had on Corellia, or who could move there quickly enough.

‘Stage, set.’

And, of course, a quick message to her brother.

~***~

Yes.

One day, they would indeed be. One day, the First Order would rule, and show the galaxy what it truly meant to have equality. It was a lesson he knew he still needed to ingrain further into the Order, a lesson he was reminded of from those non-humans that joined their ranks, but even if he retained in his own mind that humanity was superior – he understood that to enforce such a thing was to demand trouble.

He’d seen that with the Empire.

He could too easily imagine it now.

He didn’t like the thought of dealing with a possible slaver, though. He felt his datapad vibrate a moment, and he glanced down to see the message.

The Corellian Stage is being set.

His brows arched. He wondered what that meant about Tarkin, but he wouldn’t ask that. “Hold the thought.”

Reveille knew a bit more, or could find out a bit more, about those in those unsavory businesses.

Keep me updated.
Do you know anything about an Aya Kasabian?

“My sister tends to know more of the unsavory types, given she works more closely with our spy network. She may know whether or not this is a meeting to maintain, or avoid.”

Kylo’s eyes followed Reveille until she left his ship, and finally, he was alone save for the two pilots awaiting orders in the cockpit. He was left with silence that allowed him to stew over the events of the day, anger igniting as he recalled Matja’s condescension and Alessander’s...annoyance.

With an enraged yell, he struck out at the nearest steel wall, ignoring how the repeated hits bruised and pained his fists. He wanted, needed Tarkin to die, yet doing so would jeopardize his chances at obtaining what he wanted. He had to play nice, which infuriated him far more than anything General Hux has ever said to him.

At least he could control the General. Governor Tarkin was a wild card.

There was that tug again that he desperately tried so hard to eliminate. As if his own mind told him he was better than this, better than these bursts of emotion and better than yearning for the Dark Side. The tug only increased his anger, with the steel wall taking the brunt of his wrath.

After his outburst subsided, his attention snapped over to the pilots, who were staring straight out of the cockpit window in their attempt to not further rile up any more anger in their Supreme Leader. “Take me back to my ship,” he snapped.

“Yes, Supreme Leader,” one said, who immediately jumped into firing up the ship for their journey to the Supremacy. Kylo remained standing, yet his limbs still shook from anger.

He needed a distraction. Bringing out his datapad, he shifted through the messages he received while in the meeting. Ignoring most as nonsense the officers could deal with on their own, he stopped at General Hux’s message regarding Phasma’s replacement.

Kylo hardly cared enough to know the Stormtrooper mentioned, but he sent the okay for Armitage to promote the aforementioned Stormtrooper. He just needed order in the ranks again if he had any hopes of continued conquer.

~~

Lavinia’s mind lingered a moment on Armitage’s words, yet she knew she needed to fight past them. Such a detail does not negate the atrocities committed by this man. The billions dead because of him. And soon enough, he would commit another act soon enough that she would find horrendous without a reason good enough to excuse the action.

Curious, she glanced over at the datapad once more after he spoke. He satisfied her curiosity soon enough when he spoke up, detailing her of his sister’s network of spies. Spies she may have encountered in the past. Another reason to stay far away from Reveille.

Lavinia resisted the urge to make a snarky comment, Maybe she’ll just say it’s fine to just send me in. Yet she did wonder if there was in validity to the rumors surrounding this woman.

“If not, then I guess we can only hope that our meeting with Anolo Atar goes over well.”

Reveille was a bit surprised by Armitage’s question, but she ran the name by Terex, and with his response, she replied in kind to her brother. Aya hardly seemed the sort of person he’d have reason to visit, even as he clarified it was in regards to raw materials. Why wasn’t he just working with Sienar? Well, she didn’t have time to ask, and she was going to be using Commander Sienar, so she didn’t want to get tied up in that.

Later.

After Corellia.

It did not take long to reach the Exigency, and by the time they had returned, everything was already prepared. All the TIEs were in place. The soldiers were prepared near the shuttles for drops. She had her messages from the crime lords and government officials she knew, prepared to move at the sign.

And, most of all, a message from Terex.

So apparently those wannabes will meet at the old Vine Temple in Diadem Square for the Eighth Brother’s helmet. Not really keen to part with it, so don’t leave me hanging, Revy.

Good.

The trap was set. “Kos’tel’lanni, give me thirty minutes once I leave lightspeed,” Reveille said, speaking from near her own ship. “If attacks begin too early, we will not have time to intercept the Acolytes of the Beyond.”

They still had to take the planet, and the sector, but this became the priority with Kylo Ren’s own command. As such, she’d take her stealth ship in first, and ambush them.

“Understood. Report when you have reached there, and I’ll begin the countdown.” Kos’tel’lanni stated.

~***~

A message from the Supreme Leader came in before Reveille’s response. He noted it, and smirked to himself. He wouldn’t send back a response, there was no need. “Well, it seems the Stormtrooper was approved.” That would set things in order for when they returned, eventually, to start prepping them for their new position.

The next message came shortly after, and he opened it up.

Mostly a spice trader – but will sell just about anything she can get her hands on. Why? Planning to start taking drugs?

Armitage let out a flustered sigh. He ought to remind Reveille that he had an aide now, who was, in fact, looking at his messages. She’d just chastise him for not being more secure.

Instead, he sent back a response.

I am buying doonium and ships. Her name came up. Is she a slaver?

This response came quicker. Shorter.

No.

Well, that was some relief. He considered asking how she was so certain, but opted not to. Especially as a follow-up message came.

But seriously stay away from drugs.

He rolled his eyes and put his datapad away. “It seems that when we are done with Anola, if there is time, it is fine to meet with Aya. Neither the Supreme Leader nor my sister seem to be expressing any emergency or problem after the visit with Governor Tarkin. Speaking to PA-0244 can wait until after seeing to these two traders.”

“I hope you weren’t planning on starting the party without me,” a voice shouted out. Minka Tser strolled through the hanger, the lightest tilt of her lips in a smirk. She may have been smaller than the others, but her quick strides hinted at how fast she could prove to be.

“I was finishing up in the training room when I got the message.” Her only explanation for why she ran a little late. “Is it true that we get to take out some of these Force fuckers?” She stopped a short distance away from Schaeffer, her hands resting on her hips. “Naturally the pretty-boy will be tagging along.”

Right after she finished her last sentence, the hangar buzzed with everyone running around for the unexpected arrival of their Supreme Leader’s command shuttle. That wasn’t part of the plan. “Were we expecting the Supreme Leader to tag along?” she questioned, voice slightly raised so she could be heard over the noise his shuttle made as it landed.

The ramp lowered, and Kylo stepped off, cowl back on and largely covering his clothes. His decision the join Reveille and her crew to Corellia was last minute, and as a result he didn’t even had the ‘opportunity’ to fire off a message to the Admiral on his decision.

~~

Lavinia inwardly sighed that their pick for Phasma’s replacement was approved. After a sleepless night, after nearly testing her limits with Armitage, she was satisfied that their first choice was satisfactory enough and that they didn’t have to sift through the notes again.

She almost started to ask if she needed to send a message to the replacement before Armitage’s abrupt...noise silenced her. Looking over, she stifled a laugh at the message that caused such a reaction.

Maybe he did need some drugs.

Since the man made no attempts to hide his datapad from her sight, she continued to peer over at it, reading the message Reveille sent his way. So one rumor proved wrong concerning Aya. That was a relief. She wouldn’t know how to deal with someone who bought and sold others.

After Armitage finished, she recalled what she wanted to ask earlier. “Do you want me to go ahead and send a message to PA-0244 concerning the promotion? Or shall it wait until we get back?” Though she saw no need to go ahead and tell them since they will be away for several hours at least.

Recalling the messages, Lavinia’s lips quirked upward as she resisted the desire to start chuckling. “Do I need to be concern about a future spice habit?”

Minka was expected. Reveille had not intended to leave without her, although she certainly would. Technically speaking, she and her brother were their commanders. In reality, everyone knew the cadets would get away with missing any orders. They’d have a reason. An excuse. They were all fairly good at that.

Still, Reveille’s lips quirked a bit, a smile threatened, at Minka’s approach.

Schaeffer scoffed, “I thought Brentin was the pretty boy. Oh…right.” Brentin was gone. Oh well. That was Reveille’s kill, as far as he knew, but naturally none of them ever confirmed who they had or hadn’t killed. Only with Brendol Hux, who was now just as dead as Brentin. That was the requirement. They had to tell Brendol who, and how, before it happened, so that they couldn’t just claim an actual accident was their doing.

Or someone else’s kill was theirs.

Soon enough, any sense of that old, strange reunion faded due to the movement in the hangar. Reveille couldn’t stop the sigh from parting her lips as Kylo stepped out of his shuttle. “Isn’t he one of the Force Fuckers?”

Reveille ignored that. Ignored the implication. It was better that way for all of them. “In the ship,” she gestured, “I’ll find out what’s going on. I thought I had command of this situation.” Apparently not.

Which meant this plan was likely going to go to hell. Kylo probably would not be happy to see Terex, for one.

~***~

The General shook his head. “No, there is no need for that. I will send a message when we return to the ship. It is better to have this information spoken directly, rather than through messages.” Particularly when he wasn’t on the ship, and PA-0244 might have a thousand questions. Better to do all of that in person, instead of over messages.

Much could end up misunderstood.

Or not responded to quick enough.

At her second question, he let out a scoff. “Hardly.” Spice or narcotics of any sort were not his choice when it came to self-destructive behavior. He and his sister had the same preference when it came for that, being alcohol, but no one really needed to know that. “I have no interest in such substances.” He knew that both Althea and Reveille were teasing, in their way.

He hadn’t addressed it with Reveille. Just ignored it.

The ship did start to slow, and a glance at a viewport showed a planet visible. They would soon be landing. “I don’t suppose you’re a user, are you?” He didn’t hide the judgment from his tone. Obviously, records didn’t indicate it. And he’d usually found the agents were the more likely ones to end up addicted or users.

Mink grumbled as she was ushered into the ship along with Schaeffer, clearly wanting to see the potential blood bath in the hangar. And wanting to see exactly how Reveille acted around Kylo Ren.

Kylo approached Reveille without an ounce of the former anger displayed in his shuttle. His knuckles still ached, with light pain shooting up his arm whenever he flexed them, but that hardly mattered. That was easily pushed aside.

“Admiral, I hope you didn’t miss me too much.” Probably not the best way to start any unexpected conversation with the woman. “I hope you don’t mind me tagging along and witnessing the subjugation of Corellia first hand.” As well as the extinction of the Acolytes of the Beyond.

He also didn’t wish to admit that he had nothing better to do for the remainder of the day. “Besides, your crew could probably use an extra hand.” His eyes flickered to where the Cadets walked into the ship as he stated his little jab. “Will this be a problem?”

~~

Lavinia nodded in acknowledgement of Armitage’s orders. It made sense, and they needed to solely focus on what will happen on Canto Bight. Focus on dealing with their seller and hope that everything goes smoothly.

They didn’t need to get distracted by an inquisitive Stormtrooper sending numerous messages to their datapads.

She was hardly surprised at Armitage’s lack of spice usage. They could get a bit messy, and he was the sort to have everything neat and orderly. Spice would fuck that up. Plus it could greatly hinder judgement, something else he must take into consideration.

“Oh, no. Never even tried them, nor do I have the desire to do so. I prefer to have full control over my inhibitions.” Though she doesn’t mind the occasional sip of alcohol, even if it has been a while since she last had a taste. She easily picked up on the judgement in his tone, and she was quick to surmise that he held a low opinion of those who did partake.

Schaeffer could feel the irritation rolling off of Minka, but it was no surprise to him. He was curious as well, even though he’d seen enough to be certain that Reveille was plotting Kylo Ren’s demise. Given the information he’d gleaned through the hallway tapes, he already knew what put them at odds.

She had every reason to just make it known now. Why she didn’t? Schaeffer wasn’t certain. He presumed she had reasons.

But at least from where he stopped, he could still hear the conversation as it entered the doorway.

Reveille was not amused, nor impressed, with Kylo’s greeting and invitation to tag along. Kos’tel’lanni had smartly moved to resume her duties of making sure everything was prepared for the engagement, not sticking nearby this time.

Reveille bristled with his tone, but her response wasn’t angry. Just clipped. “Of course it won’t be a problem. Just so long as you listen to my commands. I am the one with experience in subduing planets, after all,” Unlike him, “and successfully routing our enemies. If you listen, I am sure things will go according to plan.”

She didn’t bother to wait for a response, just turned right back to her ship to step up onto the ramp and head to the cockpit. Schaeffer was immediately at her heels to take up the position as co-pilot.

~***~

Armitage nodded, satisfied with that answer. He had never tried the substances either. He knew a few who had, and were able to quit, but he still hadn’t respected them any more for having the ‘experience’ and ‘willpower’ to stop. They were stupid enough to try it in the first place. It was like drinking poison. Why bother?

“Good,” he was particularly satisfied with the fact her reasoning was well in-line with his own. “That attitude should assist here. They’ll likely try to ply us both with drinks to get what they want,” not just the one selling, the workers in whatever place they walked in to would want much the same, so they would waste credits in gambling, or buying asinine things.

Armitage would be wholly abstinent here. It was too easy to sneak a substance into alcohol.

As the ship started to settle, he rose from the bench, “Where is it we are meeting Anolo Atar?” He presumed their major casino, but he was willing to be proven wrong. He’d rather meet anywhere but Canto Casino.

The tension between their two commanders could be felt from a mile away, which entertained Minka greatly. “How long do you think it’ll be before they hate fuck?” Maybe she could make some money off of starting a betting pool for those two.

Kylo knew he should’ve been irritated by Reveille’s blunt words with him. He should’ve been angry at her command for him to listen to her.

Yet he wasn’t. He was amused. He was amused at her gall, which only served to create more intrigue for him in how Reveille would conduct this operation.

He followed after her onto her ship. Minka, casually sitting in the main cabin area, without a care for posture, lifted an eyebrow when she finally saw the Supreme Leader. So all the fuss was over this guy?

Kylo casually strolled near the cockpit with hands firmly clasped behind his back. “I eagerly await to witness your work firsthand, Admiral.”

~~

Lavinia wouldn’t be surprised if drinks were forced upon them in an attempt to sweeten the deal. It was almost expected in Canto Bight for one to continuously had a glass in their hand with numerous employees ensuring that it was always filled.

Through that, the patrons were more willing to gamble. More willing to spend their money at one of the many games they offered.

Lavinia checked through her correspondence with Atar before setting her datapad aside. Due to her change in wardrobe, the datapad would have to remain on Armitage’s ship. “It seems he has a penchant for the tables. We’ll be meeting him inside their Casino.” She rose alongside Armitage, adjusting her dress along the way so as she didn’t step on the fabric.

“He’s an older gentleman, and apparently he’s wearing a dark purple suit.” Keeping in theme with Canto Bight’s flashy and gaudy clientele.

‘How long did it take with Sienar?’ Schaeffer couldn’t quite recall, but he knew that Sienar and Reveille had not gotten along at first. Sienar had flaunted his name and his wealth, and Reveille ran him ragged. To his credit, Sienar had at least proven himself to be the skilled commander he was, and so far only seemed interested in playing with TIEs, so he was no threat.

He left for the First Order to escape the responsibilities of inheriting his father’s business, after all. So long as he could shoot things out of the sky, he was happy.

Flyboys.

He hadn’t gotten to toss out an answer before the subjects entered the ship, but he might humor the bets later. Really, what other entertainment did they have? They tended to bet on lives more often than anything else, admittedly. There was still a cadet tontine, not quite run like the standard sort – the last living cadet got it all, all at once.

Reveille ignored Kylo’s flippant comment about eagerly awaiting to see how things would be run. Things would go smoothly. “The mission is simple.” Reveille stated as the ship began to lift. “We have a thirty minute time limit to deal with the acolytes before my TIE squadrons and the Exigency make their appearance, as well as the ground troops. We have set an ambush for them, using an outside agent, Terex. Despite his defection from the First Order, he remains useful, and you will let him pass alive to retain his usefulness in the future.” That was more for Kylo than the others. Schaeffer already knew better. Terex was, actually, ridiculously useful.

And old. He was going to die on his own one day soon enough. But Terex had been one of the few to actually try to be nice to them. He could at least remember Terex showing up with candy, shortly after he’d been recruited. Schaeffer hadn't trusted it, fairly certain it was poison, but another kid who ate it proved Terex was, indeed, being nice. Schaeffer had made that one his target after that point.

“He’s convinced the acolytes to meet him by using the helmet of the Eighth Brother, one of the Inquisitors of the Empire.”

Some Force-Sensitive jedi hunter the Emperor had enlisted. She knew some of that old project by virtue of being from Arkanis; it had all taken place there, the finding of Force sensitive children and the brainwashing of them, or the killing of them.

~***~

Of course it was the casino. Of course Anolo couldn’t look like a decent person and wear something normal. No, it had to be a purple suit. Armitage just barely succeeded in not sighing. He needed to get through this, and then get back to his ship. The reports of Corellia would likely cheer him up later. Even if he wished he could be running such operations.

But, this was just as important, and he knew it.

Armitage considered offering Althea his arm as they stepped out into the hangar, already glistening with some new arrivals. It would likely fit in better if he did, given that already seemed the norm here, and so, hesitantly, he did offer it as they continued walking. He needed to blend in with the others, didn’t he?

“I know the layout of the casino better than I would like,” there enough times to make deals, “which tables is Anolo at?” There were quite a few different games played, after all. He could turn them that way once they were within the gilded building, which was in sight all too soon, towering above the rest of Canto Bight from its perch upon the hill, golden lights catching anything semi-metallic and making it spark and shine.

Kylo shot her a look when Terex’s name came up. The man was reckless, volatile, and not to be trusted. And yet some would say the same about you. He didn’t challenge her on her decision to use Terex, though he did note that she decided to hire someone the rest of the First Order deemed a defector and traitor to the cause. If the mission failed? Then he would make a snide comment.

“How did you come into the possession of that?” Of course he knew the name. He knew of the Inquisitor who served a time under Darth Sidious and Darth Vader. If those acolytes somehow manage to escape with the helmet in their possession, Kylo will not be a happy person.

And Reveille obviously trusted Terex to some extent if he was the one setting up the trap for the acolytes. Did Armitage know about this as well?

He needed to keep his officers under a tighter leash.

~~

Despite never having been to Canto Bight before, the glistening city with the golden embellishments and the patrons decked out in the finest jewelry and fabrics were sights all too familiar for Lavinia. With her head held high and posture straight, she strolled like any wealthy heiress who visited.

She might as well been.

Armitage’s offer of his arm shocked her. If they wished to blend in even further, it would make more sense for the two to pretend they were together in such a way, yet for Armitage to do so without her mentioning it? She didn’t know what to say, so she wordlessly took his arm as they strolled.

Now, to any onlooker, they looked like any other wealthy couple ready to spend a few thousand credits.

“I believe he mentioned roulettes.” Beyond that, she would have to rely on Armitage to guide them through the casino. “I can’t imagine it would be very difficult to find a man with his description.”

Reveille shook her head as they jetted off into lightspeed. “It’s not mine. It is Terex’s.” He had quite the collection of Imperial memorabilia. Enough to put people like Matja Tarkin to shame, really. Off the leash of the First Order, he seemed to decide pursuit of those trinkets were worth his time instead.

“I do not care enough about past relics to seek them out. I leave that to those who worship the Empire.” She did not worship the Empire, and never would. It was the past, that failed. Terex should have learned that, but he hadn’t. He clung to it still, it was honestly amazing he hadn’t gone back to using his old Stormtrooper name, given his attachment.

Thankfully they were in the core, so it did not take too long to get to Corellia, and as soon as the stars became mere pinpricks in the black sky again, Reveille shifted gears to set up the stealth. “Schaeffer, I’ll be dropping you off early.”

He nodded.

He had expected that.

An assassin was no good showing up expectedly with the others.

~***~

Roulettes. Armitage knew where those were. Certainly not the game he’d choose if he was ever forced to endure gambling. Cards were far more reliable and easier to read. The other games? All about luck unless one had the force to put the roulette ball where they wanted, or stop the dice on the numbers they wanted.

He did wonder if Canto Bight had a way to prevent such cheating.

Perhaps one day he should send Kylo Ren to find out. Tell him to go cheat at Roulette to get the First Order money.

“You would be wrong,” Armitage said as they stepped into the casino to see men of all ages, species, and build, peacocked in a variety of colors. All gaudy. Tactless. Horrible. Purple was not an uncommon hue, particularly the darker shades of purple. “Did you offer him any description of us?”

Armitage asked it as he briefly lifted his other hand to cover her arm, as he turned to the left to bring them towards the roulette and dice games, eyes skimming the area for the older man in purple. His hand dropped off after the turn.

Kylo needed to know how Terex managed to get his hands on such memorabilia. Probably part of his shady character and back alley dealings. Terex wouldn’t appreciate the item for what it was as much as he did.

But again, there was that dull sensation in the back of his mind that suggested he should just leave it be. Don’t worry about an Inquisitor’s memorabilia.

But it was a tie to Darth Vader. It was a tie to what he yearned to be.

Minka, quiet during their exchange, stood up and walked over to the cockpit area where everyone else seemed to congregate. Hands on her hips, she demanded, “And what about me?” Even if she knew that being dropped off with Schaeffer may lead to...unintended consequences.

Like one not returning.

Kylo looked down at the Cadet, mentally noting how her own height reminded him of Leia’s height. Aren’t you a little short to be a Cadet?

~~

Lavinia hummed in agreement at the sight of all the colors and ostentatious displays of wealth. It proved to be familiar for her, but this time she didn’t have to worry about her mother screaming at her for not maintaining proper posture or sneaking off to have fun with the waiter.

Really, it was a wonder her mother didn’t have a heart attack.

She didn’t answer his question at first as she proved to be caught off guard by the additional touch on her arm by Armitage. For a man who didn’t want to get into a role, he did it well.

“He said that it wasn’t necessary. That he knew your face well enough.” Surely the destroyer of the Hosnian System was a well-known face around the galaxy. Lavinia skimmed over the sea of patrons gambling away their money at the tables, ignoring the way one rather tipsy patron leered at her chest as he stumbled by.

Her eyes soon landed on a man who matched the description perfectly. Older man, maybe around her grandfather’s age, with a deep purple suit and cocktail in one hand and a jovial expression on his face. Two much younger women, around her own age or younger, were standing at either side of him. “That must be him over there.” She nodded in the direction of Anolo Atar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back