Literature Favorite Quotes

lol I have to admit, this one caught me by surprise. What's the book about?
Honestly? It's been about 10 years, lol, and reading the synopsis doesn't really jog much. It's about a gay man, I think another coming-to-terms plot, where an interstate tryst upturns his life with his wife and earns him probation. It's just that line and a brief R-rated description that stuck with me all these years.

Honestly? It's been about 10 years, lol, and reading the synopsis doesn't really jog much. It's about a gay man, I think another coming-to-terms plot, where an interstate tryst upturns his life with his wife and earns him probation. It's just that line and a brief R-rated description that stuck with me all these years.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Maybe I’ll give it a read.

Sort of reminds me of that archery contest scene in Brave. You know, when Angus bends over and the poor people behind him shield their eyes.

"Historians from England will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes."

-Robert the Bruce, Braveheart

"What a beautiful world we've destroyed..."
-Metro 2033

"If war doesn't change, men must change, and so must their symbols. Even if it is nothing at all, know what you follow, Courier..."
-Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."
-Half-Life 2

"Do you see any borders from up here? What have borders given us!?"
-Solo Wing Pixy, Ace Combat Zero

"He died doing what he wanted no matter what, right? I bet he died happy..."
-Guts, Berserk

"Throughout my life, the moments, and people who have defined me… they have all been illuminated by sparks.”
-Guts, Berserk

“If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place.”
― Thorin Oakenshield, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

“All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

“No matter how careful you are, there's going to be the sense you missed something, the collapsed feeling under your skin that you didn't experience it all. There's that fallen heart feeling that you rushed right through the moments where you should've been paying attention. Well, get used to that feeling. That's how your whole life will feel some day.”

“Parents are like God because you wanna know they're out there, and you want them to think well of you, but you really only call when you need something.”

“Most times, it's just a lot easier not to let the world know what's wrong.”

“I've always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboard of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed. I was born an insomniac and that's the way I'll die, wasting thousands of hours along the way longing for unconsciousness, longing for a rubber mallet to crack me in the head, not so hard, not hard enough to do any damage, just a good whack to put me down for the night. But that night I didn't have a chance. I stared into the blackness until the blackness blurred into gray, until the ceiling above me began to take form and the light from the east dribbled in through the narrow barred window.”
― David Benioff, City of Thieves

“I think; therefore I am.” -Rene Descartes …. also the smart bomb in the movie Darkstar …who needed to rationalize its reality to fulfill its purpose.

Ser Imry Florent: "Your grace... We're too far from the gates. The fire, their archers... Hundreds will die!"

Stannis Baratheon: shrug "Thousands."

"As long as I am trying, I am probably doing a much better job than I think I am."

“You’re rare. So people are going to fall in love with the idea of having you, but most of them aren’t used to rare. They are foreign to it, so they will lack the capacity to treat you as such. That’s where they’ll lose you.”

—————

Small (Yet Medium) Side Note: This last quote helped me a lot in many ways. It helped me know that I wasn’t the issue when I put my all into a relationship that didn’t work. It also gave me the self-esteem and patience to be healthy and understanding in my own relationship.

Last edited:
"As long as I am trying, I am probably doing a much better job than I think I am."

“You’re rare. So people are going to fall in love with the idea of having you, but most of them aren’t used to rare. They are foreign to it, so they will lack the capacity to treat you as such. That’s where they’ll lose you.”

—————

Small (Yet Medium) Side Note: This last quote helped me a lot in many ways. It helped me know that I wasn’t the issue when I put my all into a relationship that didn’t work. It also gave me the self-esteem and patience to be healthy and understanding in my own relationship.
I love both of these. The second one is very powerful and touching, and I'm glad it's given you the patience and self-confidence you deserve <3

Thank you for sharing!

"Please believe that things are good with me, and even when they're not, they will be soon enough. And I will believe the same about you."
- Perks of Being a Wallflower​

"Please believe that things are good with me, and even when they're not, they will be soon enough. And I will believe the same about you."
- Perks of Being a Wallflower​
I haven't read this book yet, but the movie is one of my favorites. Makes me sob like a baby every time.

“There is no reality except the one contained within us. That is why so many people live such an unreal life. They take the images outside of them for reality and never allow the world within to assert itself.”
― Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
― Fox in The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
― Tiffany Aching in A Hat Full of Sky, Sir Terry Pratchett

“If you’re going to do something that crazy, save it for when it’ll make a difference. But absent near-omniscience there’s no way to know when that is. You can only make your best approximate calculation. You can only make your throw and try to puzzle out the results afterward.”
- Justice of Toren/Breq in Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
― Fox in The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
One of my favorite books 🥰

All three of these are lovely!

One of my favorite books 🥰

All three of these are lovely!

Honestly, me too! The Little Prince was what sparked my imagination as a child and it’s what continues to fuel the creativity in me - not losing one’s sense of wonder and curiousity about the world. 💕

“It's like when my doctor told me the story of these two brothers whose dad was a bad alcoholic. One brother grew up to be a successful carpenter and never drank. The other brother ended up being a drinker as bad as his dad was. When they asked the first brother why he didn't drink, he said that after he saw what it did to his father, he could never bring himself to even try it. When they asked the other brother, he said that he guessed he learned how to drink on his father's knee. So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Users who are viewing this thread

Back