Literature Favorite Quotes

"My sins are too many and too varied to repent. And frankly, I intend to continue sinning." -Phryne Fisher, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

"But, use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly co-operation!" Solaire, Dark Souls, explaining the White Sign Soapstone to the Chosen Undead.

“Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” - Peter Pan, by J.M. Barrie.

I love many quotes from J.M. Barries Peter Pan, like:

“She was a lovely lady, with a romantic mind and such a sweet mocking mouth. Her romantic mind was like the tiny boxes, one within the other, that come from the puzzling East, however many you discover there is always one more; and her sweet mocking mouth had one kiss on it that Wendy could never get, though there it was, perfectly conspicuous in the right-hand corner.”
~
“Stars are beautiful, but they may not take an active part in anything, they must just look on for ever. It is a punishment put on them for something they did so long ago that no star now knows what it was. So the older ones have become glassy-eyed and seldom speak (winking is the star language), but the little ones still wonder.”
~
“I suppose it's like the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us.”
~
“There could not have been a lovelier sight; but there was none to see it except a little boy who was staring in at the window. He had ecstasies innumerable that other children can never know; but he was looking through the window at the one joy from which he must be for ever barred.”
~
“You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.”
~
“Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.”
~
"Never is an awfully long time.”
~
“There are many different kinds of bravery. There's the bravery of thinking of others before one's self. Now, your father has never brandished a sword nor fired a pistol, thank heavens. But he has made many sacrifices for his family, and put away many dreams.
Michael: Where did he put them?
Mrs. Darling: He put them in a drawer. And sometimes, late at night, we take them out and admire them. But it gets harder and harder to close the drawer... He does. And that is why he is brave.”
~
And many more.

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."

Robert Heinlein (Stranger in a Strange Land)

“A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts. Why should I be concerned?”

-Dr. Manhattan

"Don't be so gloomy. After all, it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."

-Harry Lime, from The Third Man

I actually unconditionally love almost every line he has in this movie.

Holly Martins: "Have you ever seen any of your victims?"
Harry Lime: "You know, I never feel comfortable on these sort of things. Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays."

Harry Lime: Nobody thinks in terms of human beings. Governments don't. Why should we? They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Holly Martins: You used to believe in God.
Harry Lime: Oh, I still do believe in God, old man. I believe in God and Mercy and all that. But the dead are happier dead. They don't miss much here, poor devils.

'The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. Those who walk alone are likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before.' -Einstein.

"You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Kenshin Himura in Rurouni Kenshin

Everyone's missing the greatest quote of all time.

"Hunter 2-1, relay from Goliath One. you got an enemy helicopter loaded for bear, approaching your area, over." - Overlord, the greatest general who ever lived.

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
-Unknown​

I'd always attributed this quote to Winston Churchill and many online sources do indeed cite him. However, after looking deeper into it there is evidence indicating that it, in fact, wasn't him and that there is no consensus on who originally coined the phrase.

"If you are so smart, how come i broke you?"

-Homer Simpsons in the Hit&Run game.

"God, i miss pants"

-Daxter.

"That was my best pipe, you bounders!"

-Captain Ash, TSFP.

Last edited:
“Today Me will live in the moment, unless it is unpleasant, in which case Me will eat a cookie.”

- Cookie Monster

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever." A Bronx Tale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back