Literature Favorite Quotes

Crispy Fries

Legally Mexican
I remember seeing this on another forum, and I figured I'd start a thread for everybody's favorite quotes. They can be from real people, or from TV, movies, video games, etc. You can be silly or serious with the quotes you post, and I'll start it off with a personal favorite of mine:

"I'm coming for you, Nazi space man."

-BJ Blazkowicz

"I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke"

"My Twitter has become so powerful that I can actually make my enemies tell the truth"

"I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist."

"Number one, I have great respect for women. I was the one that really broke the glass ceiling on behalf of women, more than anybody in the construction industry."

Well, well; these are my favorite quotes I turn to for amusement at least given the current state of affairs. Think most people can guess who these came from. 

"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

--Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

a697a9a3f239c012525e9e7dfc02cbbf.jpg

"Look! More sleeping people! It must be naptime! But who has naptime now? Nap time comes before pants time, not after. I think these people are just making up times."

-Michael J Caboose

Here's my top 10 favourites.

"Foolishness, Dante, Foolishness. Might controls everything. Without power you can't protect anyone, let alone yourself." - Vergil, Devil May Cry 3

"You are filled with DETERMINATION." - Lots of Characters, Undertale

"Oh, hi. So, how are you holding up? BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!" - GLaDOS, Portal 2

"Yukkiiiiiiiiiii~!!!" - Yuno, Mirai Nikki

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world." - G-man, Half-life 2

"A man chooses; a slave obeys!" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

"War. War never changes." - Fallout Series.

"War has changed." - Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid 4

"The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?" - Bad Dudes

"Requiescat in pace. (Rest In Peace)" - Ezio Auditore

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

"Because it is my name. Because I cannot have another in my life. Because I lie and sign myself to lies. Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang. How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name." - John Proctor, The Crucible

"You come to see how we bear our misfortune. But I would have you know the difference between your loss and ours. In wresting Cyprus from you, we deprived you of an arm; in defeating our fleet, you have only shaved our beard. An arm when cut off cannot grow again; but a shorn beard will grow all the better for the razor."

- Mehmed Sokullu, Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire to Marcantonio Barbaro  

"We feel free when we escape, even if it be but from the frying pan, and into the fire."

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what show has that quote!

"There is only one Human captain who has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

"We feel free when we escape, even if it be but from the frying pan, and into the fire."

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what show has that quote!

Sounds like something an Attack on Titan character would say.

I've got two quotes that I think to be equal when it comes to my favorites.

#1: “Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.” 
― Alan Turing

#2: "One sometimes finds what one is not looking for."

― Alexander Fleming 

"Religion is like a penis: It's okay to be proud of it, but don't take it out, whip it around or try to shove it down my throat."

- Anonymous 7th grader

Although I have loads of funny ones I can share, I am feeling rather sombre and serious today so here we go.

Alan Watts:  'If you awaken from this illusion, and you understand that black implies white, self implies other, life implies death — or shall I say, death implies life — you can feel yourself, not as a stranger in the world, not as someone here on probation, not as something that has arrived here by fluke, but you can begin to feel your own existence as absolutely fundamental. ' 

I love this speech, but what sticks with me most is that middle bit 'life implies deaths - or shall I say, death implies life'. 

I used a reworded version of this to explain away horrified looks from people when I explain what I study and it has lead to some amazing conversations :)

But two slightly lighter ones:

"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded" Terry Pratchett

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity: and I'm not sure about the universe" Attributed to  Einstein

"Cake or death?" 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back