• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Given that the following morning would be the first day of action, Waver lamented how they didn't have too much time to do things a bit more conventionally. What he had chosen not to inform his team was how Henry Slavoj was enforcing such a short time constraint for his presence in London. Almost as if he was acting somewhat methodically; to cover his tracks? To spend as little time as possible not doing something else?

Regardless, he at least had no doubt that with what little information the team had, the members were bound to hypothesize on their own time. Not that he would have an issue with that; if anything, he would encourage it wholeheartedly. With any insight pieced together within the context of the case, leads can be discovered, connections can be formed. A reason he was glad to have a larger team working with him. In the past when he and Gray worked exclusively together without consistent aid from others, that area of their investigations was always lacking. Help would sometimes be around in the form of victims or witnesses, but more investigative mindsets were what he really hoped for.

"Gray," he called to his apprentice. "Go and get some sleep as well. You'll need it." he told her with no inkling of that merely being a suggestion.

"O-okay." she agreed, standing up and holding the cage that held the pretending to sleep Add since he couldn't properly sleep until Gray did. "Don't neglect your own rest, Lord El-Melloi." she said to him before walking out the door. Hearing that title come from Gray still stung after all these years, "Maybe I should quit soon." he pondered.

Walking away from her master's office, Gray clutched tightly to Add's cage. He didn't feel like pretending to sleep anymore, seeing his friend with thoughts on her mind. "Okay sadsack, cut the silence. What's going through that head of yours?" The Mystic Code got right to the point, as accurately as ever. Gray shook her head, wishing to keep these personal thoughts completely personal. "Tch, fine. I'll accept silence for now." Add reluctantly admitted. "But this won't be the end of it."

Meekly smiling, Gray stepped past the stairs that get to the first floor, seeing a splotch of red in her peripheral vision. With a silent yelp, she jumped back from seeing a sleeping Bram laying on the stairs as if he had just passed out. That wasn't the case, for her being nearby was loud enough to awaken the mage. "Hmgh? Huh? Oh, it's you." Bram murmured, sitting up as his bones audibly cracked from rising out of a poor sleeping posture.

"What the heck are you doing here?!" She whispered, expecting the team members around to be asleep. Somewhat aloof, Bram scratched his head in confusion.

"Uh...huh. Mmmm, I honestly don't remember." He admitted, neither frowning nor smiling. "I think I came back this way to tell Waver something, but the reason eludes me. I do remember taking a nap, just not here though." Bram stated, brushing past her with no recourse. His intent is clearly on reaching Waver's office, but Gray didn't think it best for the stressed Lord to see this one again. She, unfortunately, wasn't fast enough, for Lord El-Melloi had stepped out of his own volition, seeing Bram being held back by Gray.

Frowning, he knew something was up. Directing Bram into the office, he then directed Gray to reach her dorm, so the two Lords could chat. Gray, despite not seeing any ill intent with Bram, worried about what they might discuss. Still, she listened to her master and walked away, as Bram had already started speaking before they got into the office. From what she could eavesdrop from a distance, it sounded almost like Bram was mentioning nightmares.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next morning, Waver sat on the couch in his office, wincing at seeing Bram messily eating at his desk. Having devoured half a sandwich, he cared little for the crumbs left over on his colleague's property. "If only you hadn't said that, we could do this without you." Waver hissed, straining himself to sit still and not break composure. Thankfully, Bram was too entrenched on filling his stomach that he didn't catch wind of the remark.

All they had to do now before heading out was wait for the Team members to rendezvous here since they'd all be traveling together. Gray arrived first, surprisingly shooting a glare at Bram. It was unusual for her of all people to do, but Waver figured Bram had some mysterious effect on everyone he came across. It was called a cruddy personality, of course, but mages always looked for an extraordinary solution.

"Is he....staying?" Gray shakily whispered into Waver's ear. Slightly looking in Bram's direction, El-Melloi looked back to Gray and nodded lightly.

Nellancholy Nellancholy galvanismgal galvanismgal juiceboxxparty juiceboxxparty Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27

Olimpia was unconcerned about what her teammates did during the night. Whatever it was she would find out about it sooner or later anyways. Keeping to the designated floor Olimpia proceeded to work late into the night compiling the various paperwork and information into some easy-to-read documents for the mission. A stretch here or an eye rub there to seamlessly give the illusion that she was flesh and blood for the on lookers. It was only then that she retired to her own rooms and used her silver key to enter her workshop. Preforming maintenance on her body was as good of time to memorize the information as any other. Before one would know it, the night had passed and it was time to regroup.

Olimpia gave a polite knock before she entered Lord El-Meloi’s office. A knock she soon regretted when she saw Bram’s general existence. It was unsurprising the man lacked any sort of manners at all which is why Olimpia had hoped to use him as a scapegoat somewhere farther away from the team.

"Good morning," Olimpia said her face plastered with the chronic seemingly polite expression as she shot Gray and Lord El-Melio a glance as if to ask why Bram was eating a sandwich here of all places on the morning of their trip. Leaving as much space between them as possible Olimpia crossed over to put her nights work on the desk for El-Meloi to check over. It was unknown how traveling would go or when the others would arrive so it seemed best to pass it over now.

Albtraum wasn't too concerned with what Kyoryuji had spent the night doing, though it likely wasn't too different from what she had done. There would be plenty of time to pore over tomes or examine evidence, and so she had concerned herself (if that was the word to use) in deep contemplation and communion with the Most High. Exegesis was clean, oiled, and very much ready. Her mind was clear, her bodily scars clean.

She prayed furthermore, for Mr. Slavoj to be preserved in body and spirit until he could be conveyed to them. Of course, it was more a professional courtesy than anything else. She didn't necessarily like seeing someone who should be a close ally in such businesslike terms, but she didn't know the man and there were a lot of mysteries surrounding this situation.

Arriving at the meeting room, she noted with some...disappointment that Bram had made his presence very much known. She took a seat, awaiting the time to meet their star witness.

"Tenebra, reporting to Lord El-Melloi."

Olimpia seemed to be quite the presence herself; while her assertiveness might prove helpful, Albtraum got the feeling she would put herself at the forefront of their effort regardless of what anyone else warranted.

An uneventful night gave way to the following morning without much trouble. Sayaka had found sleeping in the Clock Tower to only be a little nerve-wracking, just because it was still unfamiliar to her. The long corridors seemed even more intimidating at night but she did her best not to dwell on it. Eventually she was able to fall asleep, much to her relief.

Determined not be the last one again today, the mage tried to be up in enough time to make it to Lord El-Melloi's office. While she certainly wasn't last to show up, she wasn't the first either. Observing everyone, it seemed like they were all on edge for some reason. Whether it was her mind trying to protect her or just the lingering sleep in her body, it had taken Sayaka more than moment to notice the mop of red hair seated in the Lord's desk. That explained the atmosphere at least...

Adjusting her bag, Sayaka took a seat, only offering a wave to everyone for the moment. Now didn't seem like a good time for her to speak up, considering she didn't have anything constructive to say. Besides, the tension in the room was obvious, just from looking at Lord El-Melloi and Gray. Sayaka only hoped that whatever Bram was doing here wouldn't cause any problems, and if she could help it, she'd surely keep her distance to avoid unnecessary interactions. She wondered if all mages were hardwired to avoid each other or have as little contact as possible. Either that or it was just in her nature to steer clear of certain kinds of folks.​

KYORYUJI EINZBERN

Kyoryuji spent the night in his room, meditating. He couldn't sleep, not like a normal person at least. Due to the mixture of predatory DNA in his blood, he couldn't sleep for more than a few minutes. While this could very well be a issue for him, his meditation does help him relax and rest until the next day. What does he meditate about though?

His visions are always in chaos, but one thing he can make out is a very clear shadow, that stands out from everything else. This shadow was the same height and weight as himself, but it wasn't human. Kyoryuji wasn't human himself, but he could tell that whatever this shadow was, it wanted him dead.

Kyoryuji opened his eyes early in the morning, visibly worried and scared. Whatever the figure was, it killed him this time. Kyoryuji got up and left the room he was resting in, before heading to El-Melloi's office. He was the first one there, but didn't say anything. Actually, it felt like he was invisible, considering everyone who arrived had either didn't see him, or they glanced over him too quickly to notice.

After a short silence, Kyoryuji spoke up. Wether or not it caused the others to get spooked, was really depending on how they view Kyoryuji.

"It seems everyone is here."

Last edited:
Waver was truly relieved once the team members started piling back into his office. He had managed to get a rough night of sleep due to recent developments involving a disliked current sandwich eater. It wasn't the best of news, yet he knew that it was as invaluable as ever. The only potential problem would be convincing everyone of the decision he had hoped to never make. Sure, it would be more than certain they'd have to go along with it anyways, but he'd prefer not to be on everyone's bad side. Still, he had a moment of heart, which may have been seen as a moment of weakness, in the late hours. And yet, Bram's ability to convince him did still play a part.

"Good morning, everyone." Lord El Melloi greeted his refreshed team, responding to their morning greetings. "I am looking forward to our excursion as much as the rest of you." Standing up, Gray heard could hear his joints pop, evidence of his body's state of being. The man was pushing himself more and more every year, having never stopped ever since becoming a Lord.

"Our (un)welcome guest here is officially part of Team Eye for an Eye." Waver declared, nearly biting his tongue from uttering such terrible news. He could easily read the faces of everyone. All of them were clearly less than thrilled in hearing this. "It wasn't just my decision to make, but I did ultimately agree to it. We can discuss that later, if anyone needs to." Gray looked down at Add's cage; she was there when the Mage came by, bearing whatever reason was deemed important enough.

"Mhm. That's right!" Bram announced suddenly, legitimately startling Waver who had been turned away from him. "Since my old man was the victim, it makes sense I should find out who did it, no?" He coyly asked rhetorically. "No one's going to deny that. But, we must be fully informed on why." Waver interjected.

Bram nodded his head and crossed his arms. For once, he completely dropped all pretense, all cunning, all holier-than-thou attitude, to utter one simple fact. "I had remembered something....something I had brushed off long ago as insignificant." Waver heard what was to come the night before; to say he saw any relation to their case at first would be false. He was no more a believer in Bram's word than a believer in being free from his job. But, Bram revealed a side of himself he never showed anyone, not even his own family. How he was now tiptoed incrementally in that direction, but no one else would ever get to see what Waver saw.

Sighing, Bram held up a necklace with a pendant at the end. Some sort of grey stone, but with half of it missing as if it broke off. "A gift from Lord Rufleus to me, his son. The tale of where he got it from, I don't care. What I do care is he gave this to me a couple of years ago after he suffered a terrible nightmare, one that spooked him immensely. The exact details, I don't remember. Even what he could recall at the time was already partial at best, but he was terrified. As a good son, I brushed it aside as a foolish old man reaching the end of his mental rope."

After all this time, Bram could easily envision the utter fear in his father's eyes when he learned of the nightmare. Realizing only now it was entirely truthful, Bram felt a fool. "These pendants essentially are tiny mystic codes designed specifically for complete protection against mental magecraft. During waking hours, such attacks would be uncommon, but we are totally vulnerable in our sleep. However, they are single use. My father's was used up months ago and he wouldn't be able to receive another one until later this year, meaning he was completely vulnerable in that time." Bram revealed, shaking at seeing his pendant broken.

"Indeed. Apparently, Lord Rufleus' pendant protected him from a dream or nightmare of sorts. He had woken up the next day completely clueless of what happened in his sleep. It wasn't like he had a dreamless night, but one busy with dreams he could never remember." Lord El Melloi repeated what he had learned just last night.

Bram nodded, not retorting a single word that came out of Waver's mouth. "I had come by to say the same to Waver here last night, but I too had fallen asleep from exhaustion. I awoke on the stairs here, slightly amnesiac and with my pendant broken, just like my father's. I was surely to suffer the same fate as him, but was saved by him in death." Bram did look on the verge of tearing up, but he didn't want to push himself too close to being perceived as emotional as everyone else.

"So that's why you were asleep when I found you." Gray spoke up, glad the pieces were finally coming together. Lord El Melloi said nothing more on that matter and pressed on. "So there we have it. Mental attacks through the medium of dreams are now another piece in the arsenal of our wanted suspect. Bram is mostly here for his own protection and to stop the one(s) responsible asap. He will be accompanying us today to meet with Mr. Slavoj, regardless of anyone's feelings."

The Lord got back into team leader mode, announcing the plan for the day. "The Clocktower has a bus scheduled to take us straight to Mr. Slavoj on the far side of London for a meeting. We'll be leaving in an hour, so get your bearings, eat a meal, or we can discuss strategy until then."

Nellancholy Nellancholy juiceboxxparty juiceboxxparty Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27 galvanismgal galvanismgal

Apparently every team needed a canary in the coalmine thought while acknowledging everyone's arrival. Olimpia had assumed it would be her given the constitution of her body and other assets but Bram would serve the role just as well. If the mission ended up as dangerous as it seemed they wouldn’t be stuck with him for very long.

For once all Bram’s talking seemed to have some substance to it. She may have to flatter him to get more of the story about that pendant later since such an item could do wonders for the rest of the group. Olimpia wouldn’t be able to make use of the broken code with her abilities but if it was whole the potential should exist.

“It is a good thing your alrighting and we learned of this early enough thanks to your efforts. With proper counter measures we should be able to keep safe from this new piece of the puzzle.”

Not that it mattered to Olimpia since she did not sleep like the others did and preferred this sort of attack over something more physical she might struggle against. She made no effort to remove anything from the notes she handed over since while it could narrow things down such wishy washy evidence was pointless. If they could progress off such a vague thing Lord El-melloi wouldn’t have been chosen to leave them.

It seemed pointless to try and figure out who would want to target both Bram and his father since who wouldn’t have a grudge against Bram? But getting to know the rest of the team now that they had a chance to rest would bode well for their team work. Also a bus? Really? It was a good method of transportation but that only depended on the details of the trip. Such a vehicle may play to the strengths of the team if a fight broke out but it also seemed easy to stall when time was in short supply.

“Since someone has already begun eating here does anyone else want me to grab them something? It would be useful to compare strategies while we are still of fresh mind on how to prevent the mental attacks,” She said since everyone may have a different preferred method of preventing them.

”Ah, does our new teammate have an assignment like the rest of us for the meeting?” Olimpia gestured to Bram. Hopefully he was not going to be partnered with Tenebra, not that she couldn’t handle him it was just hard to think of Mr. Slavoj getting along with him.

Now here was something worthwhile, coming from Bram of all people. This was very much in Albtraum's wheelhouse, and likely Kyoryuji's as well. Demons could attack human minds easily in their sleep, if they could even be called attacks. It was more like they seeped in, like water into the soil, like a slow-acting poison through the blood. Slowly but surely, a human will was overtaken bit by bit each night, and over days or even months, eventually the person that used to be behind their eyes would be gone, and the demon had a new vessel to do with as it pleased.

When destroyed promptly, the damage a demon could do was minimal. But in...chronic cases, the victim was unlikely to ever be the same.

"A-ahem. The Sacrament of Abjuration is a standard for every Exorcist. It is...unerring, but requires constant maintenance. If I would be asked to ward a building while its inhabitants slept, I could not, for long. But if Mr. Slavoj or any one else is to be brought into its range for questioning, they will inevitably show signs of...contamination. S-so, if our assailant is non-human and we can predict its next move, we can trap it."

Her statement was matter-of-fact: many mages tended towards bespoke defenses rather than the standardized procedures that the Church's agents practiced rigorously.

"Did Lord Rufleus...expect whoever it was to target Bram next?"

This new information was a welcomed surprise, it seemed. Magical artifacts and trinkets weren't uncommon at all, Sayaka knew that well enough. But having one powerful enough to defend against a mental attack was equally impressive and terrifying. Whatever information Lord Rufleus might have had was important enough for him to receive not only a terrible nightmare, but death as well. What surprised her more, however, was the sincerity of Bram's words. She'd never expected something like that from him, especially so quickly after meeting him. Maybe there was some hope that his involvement with the team wouldn't be too bad.

It made sense in hindsight that whoever killed Lord Rufleus would come after Bram next. But if that was the case, was there anything else Bram might have known that would make him a target? It was clear being a lord already put a target on his back, but what other reason would they come after him? He didn't appear to have any other skills that would be a problem, but that was just off of first impressions. Sayaka was reluctant to ask, seeing as how everyone else seemed to have a better angle at this. Still...

"W-Well, if they tried attacking Bram the same as Lord Rufleus, there must be a reason, right...? Maybe," she paused for a moment, trying to gather her thoughts before continuing, "they're under the assumption he might know something? Aside from the dream, I mean... There might be more information we're missing. Though, I could be wrong..." She was quick to return to just listening in, convinced everyone else had already considered the possibility.​

"...."
Kyoryuji was silent during the conversation. Something about what Bram said felt eerily similar to Kyoryuji's own meditation. A unknown assailant that kills through dreams. Kyoryuji felt the air turn cold from that information alone. Albtraum had an idea to set up a ward of protection to prevent any further dream attacks. Kyoryuji didn't say anything still. He felt his heart slow down. While everyone discussed plans of action, Kyoryuji stepped away, and left the room, the door shutting behind him as he layed against it.

He gripped his head and slid to the floor on his knees. He feared that what Bram told about the killer.... the killer could already be here. Kyoryuji feared that the killer was in himself. He never feared anything before, but now finding out that he might not be himself? He was shaking.... no, he was visibly shivering.

"I..... need to run.... to protect her....."
He said. He wanted to run away, to not only to not be a liability to the group, but if he lost control.... he'd hurt the only person who he had considered his sister.​

Waver had a feeling this news would be taken to varying degrees by his colleagues, yet he could detect the unease or fear from some of them. An intangible threat would definitely do that to a person. It was what made pop culture ghost stories so terrifying; something living in a place, invisible, not bound by the physical dimensions, doing what it wanted when it wanted, in complete contrast to the will of the inhabitants. Of course, ghosts could be easily dispelled by any number of mages around the world, so that analogy held less weight than he might think. "I know it isn't the most welcoming news on our first official day operating as a team." Waver sighed, taking his glasses off to wipe the lenses. "But, if anything, it must solidify our resolve to investigate these matters post-haste."

Olimpia's offer of retrieving meals for everyone was taken as a good token. Gray requested a couple apples from the fruit bowl atop Waver's mini fridge, as she polished Add's cage. The Mystic Code frowned, keeping thoughts to himself. His stoic look caught the eye of his holder, who started poking his cheek through the cage. Bram, catching wind of Olimpia's concerns about him personally, made sure to clear up Olimpia's worry. "I couldn't call myself a Lord if I only played the scared, little VIP being protected by a bunch of guards." He remarked. "While I'm with you guys, my hope is to serve as bait, if necessary. Otherwise, I'll do my best to put my expertise to work in removing any spiritual beings that come up."

Albatraum added to that idea, by reminding of her experience with demonic entities. Declaring how she could isolate an area as a trap definitely worked with Bram acting as a bait. But, she asked the million dollar question. Scratching his head, Bram didn't know what to say. "If my old man knew, he might've told me, in theory. Yet, since these nightmares left us amnesiacs about them, it's possible only the fears or emotions he felt were what drove him to protect me, too. My sister never got one, so the likelihood we both were targeted is pretty high."

"Yet, that's only hearsay. With Lord Rufleus gone from this world, we can only speculate at this point." Waver reminded, putting his glasses back on. Sayaka further inquired on that point, with good reason. If Bram knew anything that his father knew, anything at all that might be considered taboo or dangerous to someone's life, that may have triggered the attacks. Nodding, Waver demanded, "She is exactly right. Tell us right now if there is any information in that thick skull of yours that puts you and us in danger! And don't sugarcoat anything, for I will have no qualms leaving you to your own devices."

Lord El-Melloi came across as very professional and cold; normal as ever, but this degree was evidence of his lack of sleep. Bram immediately went onto the defensive. "Your guess is really as good as mine! With how many students have come and gone from my father's tutelage over the years, any single one of them could have had a grudge against the guy. And it isn't like we were truly close enough that he'd regularly tell me how he's feeling. Guess it's too late for that now." Bram exclaimed. "I could have been a target, or a bystander; I've got no damn clue. And I certainly know nothing that would put a target on my back, I swear!" It wouldn't be until later when Bram would know he was right, and oh so very wrong.

Gray ate the apples brought to her, also seeing that Kyoryuji was completely silent as everyone chattered. Add additionally paid attention, seeing him shaking. "Scared of something, bud?" He noted, putting his face right against the cage. "Frankly, I am, too. Even as just a piece of magic gear, I worry about my own safety, and Gray's." He said, glancing up at his holder. "I won't question what you're thinking of, or have gone through, but trust me when I say this. We do more good being around for those who need us, despite what we may be hiding inside."

Waver didn't hear that exchange, for he was continuing to bark plans for the team. "With extra baggage, we now have to consider keeping Bram around at least one of us at any given time. So, I'm putting him with Gray." He stated, causing Add to make a face that completely ruins the cool moment he thought he just had. "It's best to keep him with somewhat familiar company, for now." Waver explained. "Plus, it's less taxing on me when both people I have to worry about are together in one place." With that said, Waver had the team start bringing any equipment they'd need onto the bus. As they did, he kept a close eye on Bram; he still wasn't sure whether to be suspicious of the lord, or concerned for how much of a liability he could turn out to be.

galvanismgal galvanismgal Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27 juiceboxxparty juiceboxxparty Nellancholy Nellancholy

Having grabbed the apples for Gray Olimpia took a moment to glance at Add. It would be nice to see the mystic code in action if only to get closer to the mysteries of the world…or maybe it would take her farther away from it. She also gave a quick glance as Kyoryuji lef tthe room. May be best to let someone closer to him help him with whatever came over him but if push came to shove she would lend an ear, still attached to her body even, to hear out what caused his actions.

“Between all of us we should be prepared for most scenarios. Are heroic spirits part of your expertise?” She asked Bram while nodding to Albtraum since the church had different tricks up their sleeves when dealing with that that lurks in the dark. While she still had concerns with him being part of the team itself he seemed to know his place in it. If that was the line Bram drew to call himself a lord it must be a very short line which made Olimpia a bit thankful she herself had no ties to the tower.

Olimpia frowned at the minor squabbling that seemed to occur between the two lords. She gave Sayaka a sympathetic glance since who knew her question would cause this heated moment.

Describing Bram as extra baggage may be accurate but what were the rest of them chopped liver? It made sense for Waver to be closer to those he knew longer but Olimpia mentally filed it away in case one of them would need a pep talk. Gray would probably need it from being stuck with the man.

Olimpia only had her trunk to transport so she was pretty free to help out where needed if anyone needed help. She was looking forward to leaving this place for somewhere with less magecraft about.

It seems like it was finally time to move out as Lord El-Melloi spoke further about their plans. Bram's presence would take some getting used to, of course, but it offered some relief to know he was willing to assist the team. Sayaka watched with a bit of apprehension as the lords went back and forth, perhaps regretting her small inclusion. The environment wasn't tense but she was always worried about that type of thing.

Despite the moment, Sayaka was ready to get going, as much as the prospect made her wring her hands. Not that she was doing so now, as her hands were securely gripping the strap of her bag. All she needed was the few things inside, a few guide books on London included. More importantly was the ring tucked away into her bag, and out of reflex, Sayaka reached in to feel around for it. As much as she was opposed to using it, the feel of the cool metal eased some of her nerves.

The distinct lack of seven people in the room dawned on Sayaka some moments after Kyoryuji's exit. Her eyes lingered on the door for a moment, confusion taking the place of her usual small frown. Whatever his reason for leaving, she hoped it wasn't for anything bad. As much as she hadn't interacted with the team aside from greetings, her concern was still evident for them. Even their new teammate was someone to watch out for, regardless of her personal feelings. At least she was slightly comfortable with everyone else.​

Bram took poorly to being questioned further, though in some part that was probably due to Lord El-Melloi's line of questioning. Albtraum wasn't generally used to needing to...pry information out of people; in fact, those plagued by demons were generally very happy to volunteer the pertinent information, desperate in their faith for something that would deliver them from unholy oppression. And the Sacraments, as she had explained, allowed her to flush out most inhuman threats by force.

And so she had to wonder about Bram's adversarial turn of attitude. Did he and Lord Rufleus have poor history with Lord El-Melloi? Or was he...afraid? That statement about not wanting to hide behind others certainly seemed like the bravado of one who was fighting fear, but rather unused to the idea of doing so. Olympia's query regarding Heroic Spirits was another point of curiosity: did the magi know something they didn't? If Heroic Spirits were somehow involved...they were decidedly out of Albtraum's experience, though many agents of the Church knew of the Holy Grail Wars at least as (fairly recent) historical events.

She had to play her cards close to the chest to negotiate this little collaboration, and she trusted Kyoryuji would as well.

"L-let's not keep Mr. Slavoj waiting. I'm ready."

Kyoryuji began to walk away from the room's entrance, but while he did so, he couldn't help but think about that voice he heard when he began to leave.
We do more good being around for those who need us, despite what we may be hiding inside."
While what was said might be true, Kyoryuji also had a fear about the shadow from his dream, and the explanation from Lord El-Melloi. As he walked down the hall, time seemed to slow down for him. His heart beat echoed through his body. Kyoryuji stopped at the middle, before closing his eyes and entering his mental trance. He was back in the Chaotic emptiness, as he spoke loud and clear.

"If you're still there, I want you out of my head right now."

Today was the day, Henry Slavoj was inbound to a meeting with the investigative ilk of the Clocktower. He was not one to hate the prospect of collaboration, considering the circumstances. Yet, he knew the piece de resistance was getting to meet the infamous Lord EL-Melloi, the mage who fought in a Grail War, the man who faced demons and ghosts and dangerous mages alike. The Executor didn't think of it as an honor; far from it and he knew the Lord felt the same. They weren't here to have a friendly meeting but to discuss the horrors of what Henry saw on that fateful day. His heart beat in his chest and his head felt like it would split at any moment; gritting his teeth, Henry gripped his chest. He was running out of time. "Just mere hours away...." He mumbled, feeling his palms grow sweaty as he held onto his briefcase.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Heroic Spirits? Sure, I know of them. But any field experience is all Lord El-Melloi's." Bram replied to Olimpia, with just a hint of envy in his voice. "And I sure hope we don't have any of their kind to deal with. We may be pro mages, but even we can struggle with one of history's finest." He explained with a nod. Bram stepped away to let Olimpia get to planning and preparing, allowing him to annoy Waver once again.

"History will remember this day, my friend!" Bram cheerily quipped, with an arm wrapped around Waver's shoulder. "The Clocktower won't have their pride falter by calling us heroes or the like, but you can consider it another accolade you'll have."

"Don't you have luggage to put on the bus?" Waver unamusedly asked. He felt worse for wear with every second they spent together.

"You rather I take a nap and put myself at risk?" Bram retorted. And that was a factor Waver hadn't considered. Sleep was an inevitable bodily function; even if Bram stayed awake as long as possible, he would eventually pass out, or drop dead, both defeating the purpose.

"No, please. Remain conscious as long as possible. Until we can get you proper protection, you are forbidden from sleeping." Waver seriously said. The response made Bram's eyes open impossibly wide.

'I'm screwed.' Bram thought to himself. In the meantime, he finally took some time to get all his affairs in order. Stepping away from Lord El-Melloi, he pulled a rune out of his pocket. Looking down at the etched stone, he smiled to himself.

Sitting back at his desk, Waver opened up a drawer, one that he held in high regard. Inside was a goodbye letter he had been working on for a year. It wasn't to Gray, or to the Clocktower, or the mage world. It was only to one person: "Iskandar." He whispered, grabbing a pen to add at least one more word to the page. But, he hesitated. No, he still wasn't ready. He felt close but wasn't there just yet; "Lend me your strength one last time." He said. Standing up, he felt minor pain in his hip, causing him to groan. He was too young to be an old man yet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gray stepped out after the team meeting, exiting down the hall. In the distance, she caught a glance of Kyoryuji standing alone, seemingly in thought. It reminded her that she didn't truly know the people she was to be working with. Bram might as well be a stranger to some extent too, such as the world of Magecraft. No matter how much they may appear on the surface, Mages were all about perfecting their craft, no matter what.

Sure, Mages could be friendly, hell even become friends and experience love. But how often is that actually the case? When might a Mage just be facing their own demons, plotting in secrecy, or looking for ways to slip out of Mage society without being spotted?

She definitely wanted to get to know everyone to remove any fears in her mind. And the best way for that was with the upcoming tasks. Actual combat and fieldwork were just the kind of action to lay bare everyone's true thoughts and goals. Although, she may be naively overestimating how well that would actually happen. "Easy there, tiger." Add said, his connection with Gray gave him some idea of her emotional state at any time. "Being eager for action is great and all, but there's so much unknown going on here. I don't say this lightly, but will say it just this once: Don't hold back with me here. That will mean certain death." The ominous warning came as a shock, from her best friend of all people. She knew Add had only as much info as she did, but it would seem his instincts were as top-notch as ever. She may have to make choices beyond what she normally would on this mission. The question was if she could live up to fulfilling them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bram lay down at the very back of the bus on one of the double-width seats. Waiting for everyone to get on, he tossed the broken necklace up and down over and over again. Cursing himself for not researching the pendant to begin with; there was nothing to be done of it now. All he could do was move onward, meet with Henry Slavoj, and be back for dinner. It wouldn't actually be so short a trek, but a Lord could dream. "Ah, never mind. That, too, will be a luxury that will become alien to me." He sighed, holding the pendant tightly and sticking the rune from earlier into the broken spot. Surprisingly, it stuck together, meaning it was ready to go. "The best news all year." he solemnly said to himself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Come and sip from the cup of destruction." He read the etching. It was all that was needed, it was enough. Now, it would begin.

galvanismgal galvanismgal juiceboxxparty juiceboxxparty Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27 Nellancholy Nellancholy

(post order is now lifted. no limits on posting now)

It was true not one of them would stand a chance against a normal heroic servant. If luck was against them a saber would appear but if servants were somehow involved it seemed unlikely that would be the class causing this mystery.

Prepping, planning, and moving her trunk to the bus didn’t take very long. She had left her teammates to their own devices to perform whatever they must in private or have a moment to think alone.

While feigning being a bit weary from the effort Olimpia took a moment to study the bus with her eyes. Observation was one of her strong suits after all with them. It wouldn’t do if the bus had any pesky spells or other nonsense placed onto it since most mages would overly rely on magic to check things out. Given the fact Bram was onboard Olimpia half expected a pipe bomb to be placed underneath.

Albtraum, for one, wasn't in a terrible hurry to stand guard over Bram like some sort of personal bodyguard. Watching out for a rational foe that was likely human in countenance if not in mind was a little different than striking at demons who tended to show their hand when a person of the cloth presented themselves. Still, if it really was true that he was about to become the next target, all the better that at least one pair of eyes was on him at all times. Hopefully, they'd be able to make good ground on the investigation: a sleepless night for Bram would probably not be comfortable for anyone else either.

And that was what the pendant was for, perhaps.

Despite her reservations, Albtraum sat some distance away from Kyoryuji, but where she could keep an eye on Bram as well. She didn't anticipate Kyoryuji's particular set of skills to become urgent here, but things apparently had a way of going sideways when it came to the Mage's Association, and if something in the physical world needed rending with claws, she knew he could deliver.

She could only pray it was not say, a Dead Apostle, or a Heroic Spirit.

Now with the meeting concluded, everyone was gathering at the bus or making last minute preparations. Sayaka lingered outside for a moment, collecting her thoughts. Once they left, this endeavor would finally begin. It was finally starting to set in for her, and frankly, she wasn't sure how to feel about it.

Setting foot on the bus, she took note of everyone before finding a seat. A bus like this reminded her of the one she took to the airport, but much less crowded. That similar feeling of uncertainty was bubbling up again, but there was no reason to worry until they actually arrived. For now, she'd try and reflect positively on things. No one was hurt and no hiccups had happened. There was a chance things would go smoothly and they could easily talk it out with Mr.Slavoj. All she needed was a positive outlook!

...Maybe that was easier said than done. Letting out a sigh, she only shook her head before looking out the window. No turning back, not even if she wanted to. At the very least, if they did run into anything strange, she would make sure everyone stayed as healthy as she could manage.​

"If you're still there, I want you out of my head right now." Kyoryuji had declared, successfully having had the attention of Add pulled to him.

"Yup. Still here, bud. And don't worry; I'm not like other Mystic Codes. I can't get into anyone else's head but Gray's." Add announced, as Gray had carried him out of the room. "A fact she might not always like, but it's the nature of our relationship." He cheekily added with a smirk, eliciting a blush from Gray herself.

"Is everything alright, if you don't mind us asking?" Gray inquired the seemingly distraught team member. "We may not be on friend-level speaking terms, having just met and all, but if there's anything we can help you with, we'd be happy to oblige." Gray's offer, made in good faith, was one she hoped could help alleviate her teammate's worries.

Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gray stepped onto the bus later than everyone else, leaving only the team leader himself absent. She could see Bram all the way at the back, clearly under careful observation from everyone else. She couldn't figure out whether that was for his protection or out of suspicion. He seemed none worse for wear, at least. A front seat was more her style, so she sat right next to the boarding door.
"Scared of him?" Add asked as Gray placed his cage onto the seat before she sat.

Soft-spoken, she denied his inquiry, "Not one bit. If anything, I find his story as of late a little depressing...." She snuck a quick glance over her shoulder at the red-haired Lord. "Just of how much he's lost; does he even realize?"Add intuited why she might be feeling this way. Waver in his younger years was always one to operate under hidden stress due to constant loss. His Servant during the Third Grail War was his biggest inspiration and best friend before Gray came along anyway. How Bram is currently must remind Gray of her teacher's past self, so she empathizes with him.

Add didn't see the connection himself, Bram appeared annoyed about everything at best. "Don't worry about the guy. He's got issues, yeah, but he can handle himself. SO cheer up, alright?" Bearing a goofy smile, Add was just hoping for Waver to show up.
As if on cue, the man of the hour finally boarded. Donning his typical attire, Waver was carrying an unusual item with him. At his belt, sheathed like a dagger, was an object wrapped up in dusty-looking cloth. Faded and losing the white color it must've had long ago, Gray couldn't make out what it was. Bram didn't even see it from so far away and wouldn't get a chance to, since Waver chose the seat across from his apprentice.

"Everyone." He announced. "The operation begins now." Giving a thumbs up to the Association driver, Waver sat down with his legs crossed. His introduction was short, unsurprisingly since there was nothing new to add to the team's knowledge. Pulling a small book out from his jacket, he began reading to pass the time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bram wasn't blind; every now and then, he could see the team's members sneaking glances back at him, Albtraum more than the others. 'I'm just some quarry to be babysat now, eh?' He thought to himself, gritting his teeth. He wished for times when things were simpler, normal at the Association, and no one in particular danger (although most people there usually were). To him, this situation wasn't fair in the slightest; why did he have to be afflicted like his father so clearly was? What was so important that killing the old man was a reasonable course of action?

'That church guy better have answers to help me. I do not want to go through this for long. I have a life to live; no one has the right to take that from me.' He reassured himself, this time glancing over at Albtraum before the opposite could be true. 'Especially from some supervisors like I'm a bloody child!' The drive would only be about an hour since Henry Slavoj had essentially come to the Clock Tower's doorstep. Somewhere in this city was a man with all the answers, one who would change the course of the Mage world forever.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What should have been a smooth drive came to a rough patch, when the bus got impacted by something heavy landing on the roof. Shivering in terror, Bram cowered into the back corner as much as he could, as everyone else was on high alert. The bus driver started to pick up speed oddly as well; for some reason, Waver didn;t take his eyes off the book he read.

Heavy footsteps thudded across the roof of the bus, traveling over to the front right side. Going over the speed limit, the driver opened the doors, allowing something to slip in. No, someone. An older man who had clearly seen much in his seemingly endless years. Dirty clothes and completely stoic, he brushed a bit of dust off as he looked over the team he had come to meet. This was Henry Slavoj. Looking up at the ceiling, Bram took note of the indents his footsteps on the roof had created and trembled.
galvanismgal galvanismgal juiceboxxparty juiceboxxparty Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27 Nellancholy Nellancholy
1692409902247.png

Last edited:
Olimpia spent most of the drive doing her job of observation. Nothing before the trip had caught her interest and with everyone more or less settled in it wasn’t like there was anything to distract her from the oh so exciting scenery they passed.

When the roof of the bus started to dent in, she didn’t even bother to pretend to be shocked. She also didn’t bother trying to comfort Bram. Olimpia simply looked at waver and seeing he was not concerned went back to watching the area around them. A high-speed bus and something on the roof? How original since it was most likely their expected guest making a…impactful first impression.

"It seems we have a visitor."

Once Henry entered the bus Olimpia spared him a glance to check for any mage craft or anything else her eyes might pick up before flicking her gaze to her allies. They all had rolls to play in the mission especially the church duo so with a simple nod to them Olimpia returned to her position as a look out. It would be hard for anything strange to get by without her being aware of it.

Bram chafed under observation, which was rather understandable given the possibility of being the next target of attempted murder...or worse.

Thankfully, it seemed his demand for answers would not go unheeded for much longer, as Mr. Slavoj made his rather...dynamic entrance.

This was certainly quite unexpected: mages and other such beings tended towards the ostentatious and shocking when they wanted to make a point, though this was hardly behavior becoming of an agent of the Church in anything but the most dire of circumstances. Though Albtraum did not know Slavoj personally, this sort of demeanor would be well-known to her if he did in fact make a habit of it. Therefore...

"In His name, w-welcome back, Mr. Slavoj." Albtraum clasped her hands and gave a perfunctory bow. "If you are so hurried, should we expect other company?" Which she intended to refer to any pursuers, though Slavoj himself wasn't exactly in the clear. She kept an eye on him: already she was ready to deploy the necessary measures if he turned out to be even the slightest bit...compromised.

"Yup. Still here, bud. And don't worry; I'm not like other Mystic Codes. I can't get into anyone else's head but Gray's." Add announced, as Gray had carried him out of the room. "A fact she might not always like, but it's the nature of our relationship." He cheekily added with a smirk, eliciting a blush from Gray herself.
Kyoryuji felt the void he pictured shatter. He was expecting something else but instead he turned around to find Gray. Wherever the voice was, clearly it thought Kyoryuji was talking to it.​
"Is everything alright, if you don't mind us asking?" Gray inquired the seemingly distraught team member. "We may not be on friend-level speaking terms, having just met and all, but if there's anything we can help you with, we'd be happy to oblige." Gray's offer, made in good faith, was one she hoped could help alleviate her teammate's worries.
Kyoryuji looked back away, before replying.
"Everything is fine."
He replied, clearly sounding like something had indeed bothered him.
He then walked on ahead, but as soon as he reached the entrance to the building, he'd see the bus, already there and ready to go.
Kyoryuji would have to run away at another time it seems.
-------------------

On the bus ride to the destination, Kyoryuji had sat in one of the seats near the back. He'd lean against the window next to his seat while his arms were crossed. Bram was in the last seat behind him. Kyoryuji kept his attention to the window, while everyone else got on.
Kyoryuji fell asleep once the bus started to drive off, but he'd wake up, almost on instinct, when the bus rocked from someone landing on top of it.

Kyoryuji stood up and drew his Knives, ready for a fight, before seeing someone enter, while the bus was still moving. Kyoryuji put his knives away quickly however. It wasn't an attack, just the person they were waiting for getting in.... but the fact he looked like he got out of a fight....
"In His name, w-welcome back, Mr. Slavoj." Albtraum clasped her hands and gave a perfunctory bow. "If you are so hurried, should we expect other company?" Which she intended to refer to any pursuers, though Slavoj himself wasn't exactly in the clear. She kept an eye on him: already she was ready to deploy the necessary measures if he turned out to be even the slightest bit...compromised.
Albtraum was quick to ask the important question. Kyoryuji stayed silent, but he certainly was tense right now.​

Gray wasn't one for forgetting important events that might be hiding true meaning behind them. Even now, she remembers Kyoryuji's dismissal earlier that aught was amiss. In this time of secrets and so many uncertainties, she hoped that the more that came to light, the better things may be. Alas, sitting on this bus with her Master, team members, and a whiny Lord, she may start thinking otherwise. Glancing for a split second at Kyoruji, she knew that whatever went through his mind earlier, here on a bus was definitely neither the time nor place. Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27

This led to be an accurate observation, for the sudden arrival of a beaten, exhausted man threw everyone for a loop. Bram took the appearance poorly, practically jumping out of his seat. Everyone else was cautious or unfazed, none so more than Waver Velvet, sitting in the front seat eyeing up their visitor. "You certainly are early." He stated, uncrossing his arms and standing up to shake Henry Slavoj's hand.

The Executor reciprocated the act, having a firm grasp, even in an apparently less than optimal physical state. Albtraum took the good manners even further with a more formal Holy Church greeting. Eliciting a smile, Henry put a hand up to ease her anxiety, "Fear not. I am not in immediate pursuance," He reassured "Not anymore, that is."
Nellancholy Nellancholy

Claiming Waver's seat to take a breath, Henry Slavoj remained silent. For a meeting where they were to learn everything he knew, there was little being said. El Melloi himself was tempted to speak up; an act of impulsiveness that may do harm or good. As if resonating like thunder, Henry cleared his throat and stood back up, facing the Clocktower's team. "Peace be upon you all." He greeted, putting his hands together in a praying manner, albeit somewhat rushed. "I have been looking forward to seeing those I would be working with for the foreseeable future."

Bram rolled his eyes; another weirdo for him to be stuck with. From the back, his annoyed expression could not be seen by the Executor, not like Henry would even take real notice to begin with. "Please, before anything else. Does anyone here know medicine or healing magic?" He inquired. If Add didn't know any better, he swore there was the smallest inflection of fear in that question.

"Indeed. Sayaka is our medic for the mission's duration. She'll be able to help ease your physical strain." Waver replied with a nod. Far be it for this to be a normal meeting; Henry did not fully exhume the visage of a tough, hard-to-beat-down Holy Man that his mind's eye maintained up until this point. Of course, Mr. Slavoj did within the first minutes of arrival, yet it seemed that time was when he had to use every ounce of his strength just to get here. juiceboxxparty juiceboxxparty

With the Executor constantly clutching his chest, perhaps subconsciously due to discomfort or pain, it was obvious he wasn't ready for action at this point. Stepping over to Olimpia, Gray wondered if he was suffering from any curse effects. With the best eyes here, she figured Olimpia would see any and all. "Is he okay?" She asked, not finding it ironic she did so to the one not attending to the Executor's physical state. "He certainly seems exhausted, but....Is there anything attached to him, or dragging his mana away from him?" Gray finished. galvanismgal galvanismgal

Wheezing with each breath, Henry could feel himself being pulled toward his own center. Not in a physical or literal sense, but something at his core was writhing. It wanted out, as he desperately worked to keep it in.

For someone who was bringing them trouble the greeting of wishing them peace seemed a bit ironic from Mr. Slavoj. Olimpia spotting Bram's expression in the window's reflection gave him a look that seemed half of reassurance and half don’t fuck this up at his actions.

“Given by his questions and his actions I do not think Mr. Slavoj is doing ok. I am sure Sayaka could give you better theories as to what his symptoms could be pointing at,” Olimpia moved to try and block more of Bram’s view of the man since the following events may be…traumatic to him,” I wouldn’t say dragging away as much as condensing…I feel Albtraum will need to ask her questions swiftly before she gets stuck in the…”

Olimpia pantomimed what she assumed happened to the third eye incident victims that left them in the state they were found in. Some people on the bus may find themselves in the splash zone if the worse came to worse.

“It may be wise to lend Sayaka one of Kyoryuji’s knives in case she need to operate in a more mundane fashion…or if Mr. Slavoj is a Trojan horse,” She said to Gray while returning her gaze back outside to continue her role. Olimpia trusted her comrades to at least try and do their jobs and if she was needed, they could simply ask for her help. In the meantime, she would do her best to keep an eye on things focusing her abilities to sense for any mage craft in the area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back