• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initiative order (Beginning of Action #1, Round 1 - Outpost #5 is 7,500 feet away)
Outpost #5: 15 (4 AA guns [Guns 1 & 2 on 3rd Action, Guns 3 & 4 on 2nd Action])
Outpost #5: 15 [2] (Surface-to-Air Missile Launcher - lightly damaged)
Cera: 14 [2] (Stealth Logan - Guardian mode, Mario's wingman)
Elinor: 13 [1] (Super Valkyrie - Jet mode with Trouble/MechaKitten)
Mack: 9 [1] (Super Valkyrie - Jet mode, Elinor's wingman)
Toph: 8 (Ajax - Helicopter mode with Professor Stein)
Mario: 7 (Stealth Logan - Guardian mode)
Griffon Drones: 4 (#1-6, coming in behind your squadron, 1.5 miles away, at about 400 miles per hour and roughly 400 feet in altitude.)

Last edited:
Hah! Heya @D.! You're perfectly welcome. You've stumbled upon one of my two games. This is Robotech: Broadsword, my own alternate universe set in Robotech/Macross universes along with a bunch of twists and original changes all my own. It's on its third year now and we've been having a blast! Feel free to ask questions and peruse! =)

Hah! Heya @D.! You're perfectly welcome. You've stumbled upon one of my two games. This is Robotech: Broadsword, my own alternate universe set in Robotech/Macross universes along with a bunch of twists and original changes all my own. It's on its third year now and we've been having a blast! Feel free to ask questions and peruse! =)
Well if it's open, I certainly would be interested on seeing if there was an opening! In such a way that I am not being pushy.

And I didnt know you ran rps! Good on ya! Especially one that has lasted 3 years. That takes some good players and GMmanship.

As for questions! What's the general summary/time period of what Broadsword is about?

Oh yeah! Sharseya is my other game (now in Pathfinder 2.0) now going on for... *checks* about 5 1/2 years now (Kaerri and I first joined back when RP Nation was RPdom). While Sharseya's full, Broadsword isn't. My games are always invitation-only. You and Rykon are cool (plus we've been talking to Silanon recently about joining), but I didn't think you or Rykon would be interested in another Robotech game since you have Psychie's?

As for what it's about, let me quote what I wrote the last time someone asked. =)

"It's a deep and wild sci-fi (mecha, psychic abilities, martial arts) set in an alternate universe of my own creation based on the Do You Remember Love? Macross movie and Palladium: Robotech universes. Lots of NPCs and character interaction as the Wild Cards try to work together with a starship from the future that has come back to save the Earth from slavery and destruction."

The Wild Cards squadron (played by my wife Kaerri and Sherwood and Psychie whom you know) are a very special form of psychic called a Traverser (but they don't have to be - a person can play a normal person if they would rather.)

Oh yeah! Sharseya is my other game (now in Pathfinder 2.0) now going on for... *checks* about 5 1/2 years now (Kaerri and I first joined back when RP Nation was RPdom). While Sharseya's full, Broadsword isn't. My games are always invitation-only. You and Rykon are cool (plus we've been talking to Silanon recently about joining), but I didn't think you or Rykon would be interested in another Robotech game since you have Psychie's?
I am always interested in a good rp with good players. It would be bad form of me to ask for an invitation or insinuate such, but should it be offered, I would certainly give the subject a thorough look see.

As for what it's about, let me quote what I wrote the last time someone asked. =)

"It's a deep and wild sci-fi (mecha, psychic abilities, martial arts) set in an alternate universe of my own creation based on the Do You Remember Love? Macross movie and Palladium: Robotech universes. Lots of NPCs and character interaction as the Wild Cards try to work together with a starship from the future that has come back to save the Earth from slavery and destruction."

The Wild Cards squadron (played by my wife Kaerri and Sherwood and Psychie whom you know) are a very special form of psychic called a Traverser (but they don't have to be - a person can play a normal person if they would rather.)
Very interesting! I'm getting a bit of Terminator-esque vibes.(in the going back in time to save the future, not Dark fate).

Havent seen that movie, but I can wrap my head around the concept, and it seems like it has some pretty good potential.

So what is a Traverser? What makes their form of psychicness special?

Well, I'm all for having you but my experience as a longtime Dungeon Master/GM/Storyteller/Referee/Take-your-pick is nagging at me to ask you a few questions. See, it's not enough that the right players join my games; it is very important to me that my games be the right game for that person. Both of these games of mine are "safe havens." In prior versions of RP Nation, I completely hid them off from the public (when the option was there) inviting only folks that the others and I thought would be good fits (that's how Psychie joined us, through Sherwood's recommendation).

But yeah, I digress. =)

First off, Traversers are psychics who can, through physical touch and concentration, coerce a machine or electronic device to function for them even if they lack the skill. Mecha included. It's a very deep concept with details I've hidden from the public (I have this huge fear of being plagiarized and that's the biggest reason I hide my games from the public whenever possible).

Questions for you:
Does this setting sound like fun to you? I mean, it's based on Palladium's Robotech rules like the ones we're using in Psychie's game, but my game is not like a typical Robotech game at all.

Are you comfortable in a story where there are lots of NPCs?

Are you comfortable playing in a game long-term?

And very importantly, if you have to go on a break (say, more than a week), can you agree to tell someone, anyone in this game? One of my biggest rules is - Thou Shalt Not Ghost (please). We've kicked a great player for doing that and none of us want that happening again. I'm not asking for any personal details if you ever want to take a break, but when people disappear, I worry and I've made rules to fortify that problem. You okay with that?

Well, I'm all for having you but my experience as a longtime Dungeon Master/GM/Storyteller/Referee/Take-your-pick is nagging at me to ask you a few questions. See, it's not enough that the right players join my games; it is very important to me that my games be the right game for that person. Both of these games of mine are "safe havens." In prior versions of RP Nation, I completely hid them off from the public (when the option was there) inviting only folks that the others and I thought would be good fits (that's how Psychie joined us, through Sherwood's recommendation).

But yeah, I digress. =)

First off, Traversers are psychics who can, through physical touch and concentration, coerce a machine or electronic device to function for them even if they lack the skill. Mecha included. It's a very deep concept with details I've hidden from the public (I have this huge fear of being plagiarized and that's the biggest reason I hide my games from the public whenever possible).

Questions for you:
Does this setting sound like fun to you? I mean, it's based on Palladium's Robotech rules like the ones we're using in Psychie's game, but my game is not like a typical Robotech game at all.

Are you comfortable in a story where there are lots of NPCs?

Are you comfortable playing in a game long-term?

And very importantly, if you have to go on a break (say, more than a week), can you agree to tell someone, anyone in this game? One of my biggest rules is - Thou Shalt Not Ghost (please). We've kicked a great player for doing that and none of us want that happening again. I'm not asking for any personal details if you ever want to take a break, but when people disappear, I worry and I've made rules to fortify that problem. You okay with that?
I completely understand, and encourage any vetting you may have.

So as for the interview!

1. Can't honestly say. The general setting and tone is still unknown to me, as well as how it differs from Robotech. But! Space/futuristic/mecha/military/starfighter certainly does appeal to me. And from limited details I have learned so far, I'll throw interpersonal in there as well. I have a very broad range of tastes, and as I get older, I have narrowed it down to just "can I have fun with it?" To such a degree that if I thought I could have fun with a slice of life survival rp based in a failing factory on a moon made of cheese with elements of mystery and romance, or a post apocalyptic kung-fu action rp where sentient plush animals have enslaved humanity, then I would not likely turn it down.

2. I most assuredly am. I place a high value on NPCs and like to think of them, and interact with them as if they are legitimate characters, because to me, they are. Before I was called D. Rex, I had the username KingHink for the longest time to remind me of my favorite lesson. The name came from an rp where I had been in for years. Hink was a lowly nothing disposable NPC i controlled for the RP, but through the years, he grew from NPC, to PC, to King, to Emperor. This is one of the stories/arcs of my rp career that has stuck with me the strongest. In that it really showed me the value of them. That they only have as much life as our imagination gives them. And that even the smallest specks can grow into the greatest things. So yes. I love NPCs.

3. I am indeed comfortable with long term game play. Have done just such a thing well before I came to RPN. So long as I can keep inspiration, the rp holds my interest, and I keep having fun, then I would certainly not complain if I played for 10 years.

4. So long as it is within my physical capabilities to do so, then I will keep you updated on such periods of absence. And if I decide to quite or leave for any reason, I would let you know beforehand.

Anything else? I'm an open book.

That's mainly it. I've long-liked how you handle yourself in Psychie's game. You're direct and open (like me) yet you handle yourself with tact and a mature attitude. I like that!

I'd like to answer your questions about Broadsword as best I can. I mean it about my games being safe havens for my players, and part of that lies in the fun. Speaking of fun, here is a YouTube link to Macross: Do You Remember Love? I really enjoyed this movie when I first saw it and it continues to inspire me today. Unlike Robotech where the Zentraedi and Meltrandi were together under Lord Dolza, in Broadsword, they war with each other as they do in Macross. I highly recommend it!

Also, thanks for your quick response! If I think of anything else to ask you, I'll let you know. Also, I can't wait to see Sherwood and Psychie's reactions when they see you've discovered Broadsword here. Kaerri's too (I may have bragged on you a little during our time in Psychie's Southern Cross Adventures). =)

Here's the PC-entering process I've been using for Broadsword.
1. In Conversation, build the character with the PC. Take all the time in the world as I believe preparation is key to enjoyment. I want you to play what you like as long as I can allow the concept with fairness in my game. I want you to be excited about playing your character whether the personality is new or old.

2. Bring the character concept briefly into OOC (Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge here). Talk with the other PCs about it a bit.

3. Finalize the character and get all of the math done.

4. At that point, I like creating a special prologue story for new characters. I call them "24 Hours Ago" and you can find everyone's prologues here. If you like, start with Sherwood's. His character, Corporal Mario Zuko, has one heck of an adventure that's a good starting look into Broadsword. =)

5. After the Prologue is complete, the new PC joins the Wild Cards (leave all that to me). =)

I'm going to bed now, but drop your questions here and I'll check here tomorrow and try to answer them. Oh, and thanks for your interest! I take it as a compliment whenever someone likes one of my games enough to want to join. =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Cool deal. I have always enjoyed the quality of the gaming that D. Rex brings to the table, and would welcome having him join us.

Purr Purr

Alrighty! Time for a few questions!

1. On a scale of 1 to 11, how "colorful" would you like my char to be to fit the tone? 1 being mundane, 10 being "hero". No wrong answer possible here! Just feeling out for appropriate level of intensity and tone.

2. What time period is this taking place in robotech? Which villainous force is the most recent/active.

3. Are there any feasible star fighters that outperform veritechs in speed and dog fights, or are veritechs the best overall?

4. Choosing to play a normal human, what hindrances and shortcomings should I expect in comparison to the others?

Purr Purr

Alrighty! Time for a few questions!

1. On a scale of 1 to 11, how "colorful" would you like my char to be to fit the tone? 1 being mundane, 10 being "hero". No wrong answer possible here! Just feeling out for appropriate level of intensity and tone.

2. What time period is this taking place in robotech? Which villainous force is the most recent/active.

3. Are there any feasible star fighters that outperform veritechs in speed and dog fights, or are veritechs the best overall?

4. Choosing to play a normal human, what hindrances and shortcomings should I expect in comparison to the others?

1. I want you to play who and what you want. If I understand your question rightly, let me... actually let me ask you to elaborate on that. What exactly do you mean by "colorful" and "hero"? If it helps any, most of the characters (PCs and NPCS) are people first and "heroes" second. This is unlike Mass Effect or Skyrim and your characters are pretty much treated like anyone else with the sole exception being their reputation. If you're asking how "crazy" or powerful a personality you should play, well, that's up to you. We've got some very strong personalities in the game (like Professor Stein, MechaKitten/Trouble) and we have some low-key personalities who are more introverted and tend to shy away from the spotlight (Reggie, Acting Captain Piper, Iris/Unit One) and folks in between (the Wild Cards, Master Sgt. Murphy, Hitomi Yashida). So what is it you mean now? =)

2. The date is 19 May, 2025. It's 4 years before the arrival of the Robotech Masters (but hey, this is my game and God knows what'll happen next so don't bet any money on the Palladium timelines. The future is already here after all... =) )

3. Star fighters? Yes, there are a few but the game is taking place planetside. I have no intentions at this time of taking things to outer space since most of the action is happening on the ground.

4. One hindrance and one only, but it's a doozy - as a Non-Traverser, your character is completely shut out when the Traversers do their thing. The best a normal human (like Hitomi) can hope for on the supernatural level is to get a Transceiver which acts like a Walkie Talkie when it comes to the Traversers's telepathic conversations (except that Transceivers cannot initiate communication. Put in RP Nation terms, it's like being able to be part of Conversations, but you cannot start nor end them. You must be invited and only those with that ability can do the inviting). Otherwise, Traversers are very much like everyone else with their skills, dreams, hopes, fears, special abilities (randomly rolled as per Shadow Chronicles) and the roads you have them travel.

Traversers are in no way superhuman physically nor is there magic (like Rifts) of any kind in Broadsword. It's a sci-fi game with a short list of people who can do the "impossible" who have gathered to help save Earth's future with the help of folks who have seen what happens firsthand. Nothing more, nothing less. =)

Next questions?

1. I want you to play who and what you want. If I understand your question rightly, let me... actually let me ask you to elaborate on that. What exactly do you mean by "colorful" and "hero"? If it helps any, most of the characters (PCs and NPCS) are people first and "heroes" second. This is unlike Mass Effect or Skyrim and your characters are pretty much treated like anyone else with the sole exception being their reputation. If you're asking how "crazy" or powerful a personality you should play, well, that's up to you. We've got some very strong personalities in the game (like Professor Stein, MechaKitten/Trouble) and we have some low-key personalities who are more introverted and tend to shy away from the spotlight (Reggie, Acting Captain Piper, Iris/Unit One) and folks in between (the Wild Cards, Master Sgt. Murphy, Hitomi Yashida). So what is it you mean now? =)

2. The date is 19 May, 2025. It's 4 years before the arrival of the Robotech Masters (but hey, this is my game and God knows what'll happen next so don't bet any money on the Palladium timelines. The future is already here after all... =) )

3. Star fighters? Yes, there are a few but the game is taking place planetside. I have no intentions at this time of taking things to outer space since most of the action is happening on the ground.

4. One hindrance and one only, but it's a doozy - as a Non-Traverser, your character is completely shut out when the Traversers do their thing. The best a normal human (like Hitomi) can hope for on the supernatural level is to get a Transceiver which acts like a Walkie Talkie when it comes to the Traversers's telepathic conversations (except that Transceivers cannot initiate communication. Put in RP Nation terms, it's like being able to be part of Conversations, but you cannot start nor end them. You must be invited and only those with that ability can do the inviting). Otherwise, Traversers are very much like everyone else with their skills, dreams, hopes, fears, special abilities (randomly rolled as per Shadow Chronicles) and the roads you have them travel.

Traversers are in no way superhuman physically nor is there magic (like Rifts) of any kind in Broadsword. It's a sci-fi game with a short list of people who can do the "impossible" who have gathered to help save Earth's future with the help of folks who have seen what happens firsthand. Nothing more, nothing less. =)

Next questions?
1. You basically answered what I was wondering. What I meant by "hero", is how much they stand out and relate to NPCs and backdrop people. But no bearing in whatever grand design fate has for them, instead a focus on narrative, social, and tonal aspects. A low scale would be they are the everyman at normal job at a normal place. Such would be, in this situation, a grunt among many. A cog in a machine that shouldnt spin any way but that what it is made for. While "hero" would be a character can more freely operate and more distinctly push the narrative forward. This is all relative to the group they are in. A scale 1 the narrative focus is broadened to the faction, with the character mostly along for the ride. Scale 10 would be the character, or squad/team, being the driving force of the narrative, and main perspective of the story. This too, could take many forms. An entire fleet of the greatest heros and pilots could still be a scale 1, and the wimpiest soldier could be a scale 10. Though pardon if I don't explain it well. It's a vague concept. . Colorful you understand it looks like, so I dont need to go into much detail, as it seems a variety of intensity is definitely welcome.

2. So roughly just a bit before the time of Psychie's game?

3. Gotcha! Trying to narrow down the sort of options I have available for mecha to choose from. I saw Super Valkyries and some tanks. Could you help elaborate in what else is around during that time? Or point to which book I should look at?

4. So what is it they are shut out from when Traversers do their thing? You mentioned some sort of machine control and telepathy. But what is the joint sort of ability they are locked out of?

Gonna make sure these are all clarified before launching another small barrage of new ones. Save for one!

5. You mention we roll for special abilities. I love the element of chance. Should I perhaps roll for that first to see what direction it might take me?

2. So roughly just a bit before the time of Psychie's game?

3. Gotcha! Trying to narrow down the sort of options I have available for mecha to choose from. I saw Super Valkyries and some tanks. Could you help elaborate in what else is around during that time? Or point to which book I should look at?

4. So what is it they are shut out from when Traversers do their thing? You mentioned some sort of machine control and telepathy. But what is the joint sort of ability they are locked out of?

Gonna make sure these are all clarified before launching another small barrage of new ones. Save for one!

5. You mention we roll for special abilities. I love the element of chance. Should I perhaps roll for that first to see what direction it might take me?

2. Yep!

3. The Wild Cards started the game as rookies in the Army of Southern Cross (T.A.S.C. and A.T.A.C. specifically). The entire game has only spanned less than a week in-game! For resources, I highly recommend Masters Saga Sourcebook, though the O.C.C.s I'm using are whatever fits best from all over the Palladium system (for example, one of the NPCs, Shirley, is a Close Air Support specialist with another M.O.S.. I couldn't find what I needed in the Masters Saga and Macross Saga Sourcebooks, so her O.C.C. comes from Expeditionary Force Marines Sourcebook. I'll find something that fits your character.

4. The Traversers can enter a realm beyond the physical plane called the Blue World. This is done to contact the 'spirit' of the machine (called a Core) and coerce it to join their cause. It is this area that non-Traversers have no part to play in.

5. Sure! However, both of my games are Hosted Projects. As such, there is no Dice Roller here. Please head over to Shop Talk (the place where I keep all of our House Rules) and look up "House Rule: Dice are nice..." Choose a color and I'll roll percentile here for you and give you the result! =)

Also, I have invited Silanon Silanon to join us here instead of Conversation (I figured, may as well. That way, the two of you can get to know each other and everyone else in here can add their thoughts in one place instead of two!). Silanon is considering playing a Science-based civilian. I don't know if he wants to play a Traverser or not. Again, I recommend both of you to the Contrails in the Sky: Prologues section. You'll get a decent idea of how this game is run from there. =)

3. Cool beans! So you will be picking our O.C.C based on our concept? And my goodness how time can be stretched! Like the Frieza Saga.

4. I would definitely need to look into what this Blue World is. And this Core thing. So they can talk to their machines, basically? Sounds interesting enough I might go Traverser after all.

5. How about Teal/Aquamarine! If it isnt already taken, as I would hate to taint someone else's dice with my foul luck. I do fancy that color.

3. I'll be helping you with your character as best I can. I don't want a speedy "flavor of the month" character for you; I want you to play someone you really enjoy playing long-term (as long as it fits the campaign, of course). If that means I select a person's O.C.C. (especially for folks who are new to Palladium), then I'm all down for helpin' the new folks! =)

4. They can talk to machines. The machines have their own motives. But then again, we currently have an A.T.A.C. tank-driver (Mario) who just got the killing blow on a Surface-to-Air missile site from the prototype secret veritech aircraft he has absolutely no experience flying and no education whatsoever to help him fly it! I think that is so cool! 8D

5. Teal/Aquamarine it is! I roll and get... 39! I have no idea what that is, so... Special Aptitude Bonus... High Perception and Solid Gut Instincts! Psychie rolled this for her character, Toph! "+1D4 on Perception Rolls. Roll 1 D4 once when the character is first created in front of the Game Master to determine what this bonus from that time forward." Rolling teal d4... +2! So, your character has a permanent +2 to all Perception checks! Grats! =)

Oh! And Kaerri just pointed out, we do have Dice Roller!

I'd just like to point out that not counting D. Rex and Silanon, all the PCs are currently Traversers, so there's that. It's the one thing they all have in common. (Not all of the NPCs do, of course, but all the PCs do.)

And yes, we do have the Dice Roller here, but, well, it tends to not like us a lot of the time, so Dannigan kindly rolls for us. ^;3^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back