• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Farewell to Kings: Elide’s Tale

“Hey, she spoke to her!” The teenager shouted. The boys quieted down. In the silence, a bell started ringing.
“Who makes tea?” A boy asked his brother.
“I’ll get it!” Popcorn thrower cheerily ran into the kitchen. The other boys chased him.
“Lady Jane will see you.” The teen nodded. Elide and Bart could go upstairs now.

In the loft was a card table and chairs. Lady Jane was seated there by the window. She had a pair of binoculars and a strange device in the corner of the room. It was like a giant spyglass on a platform.

“Nice to see you, Falijey. Welcome to my home.”
The word she used was old Gypsy speak. It meant pretty young girl.

Her eyes widened. "Y-You speak avertongue?" Elide gasped as she entered the room. She hadn't heard the language in such a long time.

The lady chuckled and invited them both in. “Have a seat, please.”
Bart sat down next to Elide.
“Falijey and her Madojin. I can see great things for you.” She swooned a little.
“I’m a bit lost on what’s happened. Did you speak to her in secret?” Bart asked.

Madojin was the Avertongue word for Loving Man, or Husband. The veil that Eli wore made Jane think she was betrothed at some point.

"She spoke to me in my head- and well she's a gypsy." Elide chuckled quietly, "And we're not, you know, this is for something else." She motioned to the veil.

Lady Jane nodded. “I see. I’m glad you acted when you did. My cards predicted tragedy close to me. Ho ho ho.”
Popcorn arrived with cups of tea and the pot. Lady smiled at her grandson and accepted the tray.
“Black tea. Would you like sugar?” She asked them.
“Two please.” Bart said.
“Ha, is he a sweet man, Falijey?”

She laughed and nodded, "Quite," Elide laughed, gently nudging Bart in the arm

The old lady laughed again. She gave Eli two as well.
“I promised her a free fortune telling. It seems like the stars aligned when you entered my sight. I decided I must read you.”
Her eyes opened all the way, and Eli could see it. Her eye was made of a crystal orb. The inside was dark and a ring of gold gave her a normal appearing eye, though her wrinkles concealed it for the most part.

Her eyes widened as she sat and stared at the woman. This was an unexpected moment for her.

Bart sipped his tea and looked at Eli. She seemed dumbfounded or surprised. He wasn’t superstitious, so having his sign read wasn’t of particular interest.
“You are surprised?” Jane asked, wondering where she lost the girl. “The stars hold many secrets.”

"N-Never mind." She shook her mind. "Just do the readings," She requested softly

Lady Jane sipped her tea. “Not so hasty dear. Let me savor this rich aroma. First tell me something about yourself.”

Bart looked over at her. “Don’t you want to know about the crystal orb?“ It was possible Bart didn’t see the old woman’s eye, and was just trying to help.

She nodded before pointing at the woman's eye. "Why do you have one of those?" She asked

Lady Jane’s smile fell and she set her tea down.
“This is something special. I was a Healing Maiden in my youth. I found comfort from more than one god, however. Mitra is great, but banishing all darkness is not what she wants. Her sister, the goddess Desna, shows me the mysteries hiding in the aether. My eye allows me to see the hidden world.”

Bart watched Elide’s reaction to this information. She used a word he heard Eli use an awful lot: Aether.

The lady nodded. “Yes, I could sense an energy close by. You have an angry, vengeful spirit attached to you, Falijey. It is not contained like my crystal eye. Ho ho ho, this was a chance encounter for sure!” She picked up her tea and took a big sip.

She chuckled awkwardly. "Angry spirit indeed... We're working towards getting me one so that I may control it."

The Lady nodded and thought for a time, looking out her window. “Angry spirits are hard to control. They may seek to control you instead. With the eye, two become one. The spirit attached to you will truly become you, as you become it. Once that happens, I cannot say for sure what will become of you. Perhaps the cards will speak.”

She pulled out a deck of cards and started shuffling them in her lap.

Elide watched the cards carefully, her hand wrapped tightly around Bart's

The old woman placed down three cards at random from the deck and set the deck down. The first card she flipped was the King of Swords, reversed. The card itself resembles Eli’ father clutching a sword.
“I see inner truth, misuse of power, manipulation.”

The next card was drawn. Ace of Swords, reversed.
“Uncertainty, clouded judgement...”

The final card was Three of Swords, reversed. It depicted a red heart with three swords going into it.

“I see resignation. It may be time to let go of painful people or things that are weighing on you. This is what the cards say. Tell me what meaning this extracts for you.”

The Lady looked at her intently. “Well, the cards don’t lie. I would say you have much to consider going through with this. Have you a spiritual advisor in the city?”

The lady smiled. “Leona, what a nice name. Well when you see her, be sure to remind her of Mitra’s love.” She sipped the last of her tea and set it down on the tray. She rang her bell again.
“All of this divining has made me tired. My boys will show you the door. Please stop by again soon, dearie. I enjoyed our time together.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back