• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Farewell to Kings: Temple of Hyxia

Rheitz gasped, vaulting from her chair. "Don't hurt him! You can't! You're better than thi-". A hand clamped over her mouth dragging her down to the floor of the stone box. Her face was pressed into a chest, the shirt rubbing against her skin. It smelled like....like cinnamon.

"T-Tobias?! Why would you-" He pressed a finger to her lips. "Now is not the time. She's his sister, not yours. Shouting at her won't solve anything." She tried to push herself upwards but he tugged her back down. "Stop being reckless! What would Lautrec say if he lost you?"

Enius rushed forward, loading his crossbow. "Well it's been a pleasure, but I think this is goodbye," he called to Aida, launching the arrow into her side. Delilah ran up behind him, launching herself off of a boulder on the ground, her sword aimed at Aida.

The sword stabbed Aida right between the eyes. She cried out in horrific pain as blood started spraying out. The vampiress grabbed Delilah and started carrying her into the sky.
Delilah would see white ghosts flying out of Aida’s face. With each flap of her wings, she grew sluggish. They were up very high when Aida let Delilah go, and they both fell.
Lautrec moved underneath her with hands stretched out. Delilah was falling quickly, and when she landed in his arms, her weight fell onto his body, and knocked them both to the ground. A second after that, Aida’s corpse landed on the ground, blackening and smouldering like charred embers.

Enius walked over to the black heap of used to be Aida and nudged it with his foot, shooting an arrow into it for good measure.

Rheitz jumped out of the box with a cry of "Lautrec!" and rushed over to the dhampir, lying on the ground. Tobias followed after her, trying to pull her back. Winston rushed out from the stands, kneeling quickly next to Delilah and Lautrec.

Delilah had managed to push herself up, her body hanging over Lautrec's limp form. "Hey! Are you okay?"

The sky rumbled with thunder. Lautrec’s body was a soul shriven husk of his former self.
”I think... I’m going to die.” He said. There was sadness in his voice. “It’s all I can do to speak without the other guy taking over. Even then, he can’t do anything. I’m gone.” He shut his eyes.
Delilah remembered the frantic, psychotic being that screamed for blood. Healing blood. He said her blood would cure him.
“You can’t die, Lautrec. We need you” Tobias said. “I need you! Okay? You showed me ways to control magic I never imagined. I have so much to learn!” He had tears in his eyes.

Delilah squeezed her eyes shut, the drops of precipitation falling from the sky rolling down her forehead and dripping onto his face. She studied his nearly white face, ripped to shreds, eyes lacking the luster of someone who strived to live.

Should she do this? Was the Red Queen willing to sacrifice herself for a man?

She pondered the idea, rolled it around in her mind. What was there to lose? She would hurt no one but herself and he deserved it. She had tortured him enough. Her selfishness had caused this. It was about time she paid for it.

She lifted his head to her neck, planting his mouth at her pulse.

"Drink it. Now."

The men in the group gasped.
“D-Delilah!” Winston exclaimed. “You can’t do this!”
“You’ll die, or be changed!” Einus said.
“Give him my blood instead!” Tobias said, being held back by Einus.
“De...li...lah” Lautrec said breathlessly. He squeezed her hand in his. The madman inside him pushed down, making his fangs puncture her flesh.
The warmth filled his mouth, and he swallowed, despite everything he reviled about blood making him want to spit it out.
The pain stopped. The screaming in his mind settled down. He drank enough after a couple mouthfuls. He lifted his head weakly at her.
“I’m sorry... my black rose...” he collapsed in her arms.
Delilah would feel light headed and a little dizzy. Winston was quick to cover her wound.
The ripped flesh across Lautrec’s body was healing quickly, leaving little scarred tissue. His face was warm to touch, and the damage done was quickly fading away. He was passed out, but it seemed he was back, better than ever.
Then, Delilah passed out as well.

Delilah woke to the press of a cool cloth against her skin. She felt nauseous and her head throbbed as she forced open her eyes.

"You're awake!" Rheitz grinned, putting the cloth down on the table.

"W-where am I?" Delilah groaned, trying to push herself up on the bed. Rheitz shook her head.

"Don't. Winston said not to let you get up." She pulled up the blanket, tucking it under her chin. "How're you feeling?"

"Shouldn't I be dead?" Delilah frowned, staring up at the ceiling.

“I thought the same thing.” Lautrec said in the bed across from her. He was bandaged up as well, though for minor injuries that the blood healing missed before he passed out.
“I’m just as confused as well. They said I drank your blood, but I don’t recall. If you haven’t died or transformed, then I must not carry the curse as heavily as I thought.
“Your mana was completely gone, so it’s possible the curse couldn’t transmit without using the mana as a vehicle. She got lucky this time.” Winston said.
“Well, I thank you for your blood, Delilah. You saved my life. I owe you everything.”
He put his hand out and touched her. They felt the same temperature, which she didn’t expect.

“I think we should leave them alone for now.” Winston said. “But we’ll be close by if you need anything.”

“Wait, Rhietz...” Lautrec said. Once she looked his way he’d say. “I’m sorry about your grandfather.”

Last edited:
She looked at him for a second, arms held tightly to her side. "I...I'm sorry too. Father....he....because grandfather died, he was prejudiced against you. Mother said he was never the same after he died. But now father's gone and I-" her voice shook, eyes wiping away the tears that were starting to fall down her cheeks. She rushed over to Lautrec and gave him a hug, her face pressed into his neck. She sobbed, "I-I'm sorry Lautrec. It's all my fault."

Last edited:
He hugged her back. Though as he did so, the feeling returned. He could feel her pulse matching up to his. Then his blood pressure started to accelerate.

"I- I'm more sorry. Please don't cry. Masha might get the wrong idea." He petted the top of her head. "He was here earlier but had to go out. He's resigning from the military to become a baker. Something about our fight changed him. He swore not to hold a knife ever against another person, just yeast." He chuckled. "Funny, like you."

She sniffed, letting the dhampir go to rub her eyes. "M-Masha always loved to bake. Father thought he was being too feminine and made him join the army after our older brothers died or married off into other tribes." She stood, letting out a hiccup. "I-I'll go now. Thank you, Lautrec." She turned, quickly walking out of the room.

Rhietz shut the door behind her. Standing across from her was Tobias. He was thinking deeply about everything that happened. That monster Aida could've eaten her. She could've died without ever knowing how he felt about her.

"Hey. They're gonna be laid up a bit longer. Wanna get out of here?" He asked. Now that he said it, it had been longer than day since they stepped outside. She had hunger pangs, and her eyes were still wet. He offered her a napkin to dry her face.

--------

"Lilah... I don't hear the voice anymore, and I slept soundly. That being said, I want you to know. I had to talk so I wouldn't think about sucking her blood." His hands were shaking. It was a new feeling that made him very anxious.
"I'm scared about what that means."

Rheitz shook her head. "I just-," she caught Tobias's downcast face and let out a sigh. "Where do you want to go?"

She frowned, eyeing his shaking hands.

"I mean...if you're really dying for more, you can take mine." She rolled over to face him, hands under her head. "That way everyone will stay safe, and I won't die." She reached out for his hand with a smile, "I know you can do it. You're so much stronger than you think you are. So much more...anything than you think you are." Her hand shook a little, the idea that the maniac housing itself inside his body might rip out of him.

Lautrec visibly cringed. "I hate blood. I hate it so much. I feel my magic returning to me, so I will definitely give my curse to you. I won't have that. In fact, the Church will kill me if they find out I tasted blood at all."
He knew that giving her the curse could change her forever, and that would change him as well. Becoming a monster like his father started off in situations like this. His mother dealt with it before. It starts off tolerable, but the agony of existence compiles into something insufferable. By the time the paladins of Mitra knocked down the castle doors, she begged for a swift death.
"Please, take things into consideration. I'd rather deal with blood withdraw."

-----
Tobias took her gentle hand outside, where the sunny sky beamed could beam on her. The smell of cooking meat coming from the village guided him.
"You know, this village reminds me a lot of back home. I wasn't a castleborn wizard, you know. My Pa used fire magic to heat his kiln and made barbecue every summer. Cooked the meat for twelve hours. So soft it fell off the bone when you bit it." He talked about his father in past tense. The Magi learned about illegal wizardry and sent a hit squad to uncover them. Toby wasn't even home that year.

"Oh."
She felt rather awkward, having Tobias suddenly speak to her so much. He had been rather quiet the entire journey so far and normally she had done most of the talking during any conversation with him. Her hands behind her back, she nodded, studying his gestures as he spoke.
"We make good lizard. Though I don't know if humans really eat that."

----

Delilah laughed, though she sounded more weary and tired than joyous. "I've lived long enough to experience the pain." Her hand dropped, feeling the press of cool sandalwood against the pads of her fingers, "I've been around since the Desert war. Getting another curse would just top it all off, don't you think?"

"Lizard huh? Whatever they're cooking smells good to me!" Toby said. They sat down at the kitchen where a wide set man was cooking. He slid some cooked lizards off the cooking fork onto a plate and set it down for them.
"Beer or water?" the chef asked.
"Both?" Tobias asked, looking to Rhietz for agreement.

----------
"That can't be true. Are you... no." He looked at her, unsure of how those circumstances came to be. "No fangs... I don't understand." It hadn't come to mind that there were other Lord's children out there besides the Dracula lineage. There were, in fact, other immortals similar to Aida, though without the influence of evil spirits.
"So they don't know, then?"

Rheitz nodded. "Lot's of beer. I want to get drunk today." She turned fiercely to Tobias, "Really drunk."
The man placed two big mugs of beer in front of the pair and Rheitz grabbed it, chugging the liquid. When the glass was empty, she placed it on the table. "More please."

"I'm not a dhampir. It's....it's a very long story. And no," she looked down at the stone floor, trying to avoid his gaze, "-the other's don't know. Rheitz has an idea, but that's because she's heard stories of me."

Lautrec was unsure of what she was, but it didn't really matter as long as she was okay with it. He climbed out of bed and into hers, laying next to her. If she wanted to tell him the long story, she could do it while he spooned with her.

------
Tobias was impressed with her ability to drink. He worked to keep up the pace with her. The beer was weak, but it was free.
"Hey, you can drink almost as good as the Queen. But could you handle whiskey instead of this piss water?"

Rheitz waved a hand at the man. "Two whiskeys, please." She glared at Tobias, "You don't think I can hold my alcohol well? I'm Dharanian! We always hold our alcohol well!"
She grabbed the glass that was set in front of her and drunk the contents, slamming the glass against the table. "This is Dharanian whiskey. One of the strongest around. Can you hold it?"

Delilah traced the bones of his hands, fingers running over the sharp peaks.

"I was young back then. Reckless and in love. He was an elf. I was a human."

She let out a low chuckle.

"His name was Teranmeer. He was friends with the elf we met down the road. I met him when he was captured as a slave where I was the slave keeper. But instead of cursing me like the other new arrivals, he smiled and he...he looked at me with those eyes, he talked to me as if I were his friend, and I just....I fell in love with him. He....he and Amelia...they changed me. We....we wanted to get married, so we escaped. We wanted to live together for as long as we could. But that's where the problem was. He could live for centuries whereas I could live for maybe 70 years. So I....I visited an enchantress. She lived in the Black Forest and I know anyone living there has some sort of wicked trickery back then but I," she paused, letting out a shaky breath,"-I desperately wanted to be with him. She gave me a potion. Said it would make me immortal and if I paid her enough coin, I could take it. So I paid her for it. I took it. I drank it. But she didn't tell me that the price of the potion was the death of the one you loved most."

Her hands stopped moving over his fingers, clutching his hands tightly.

"He was dead when I got home. He was lying, sprawled, on the ground and his eyes...his eyes were so empty, as if the life had been sucked out of them. I thought at first that someone had killed him but then...but then I remembered something that enchantress had said. She noted that love is always lost when one seeks to live long. I hadn't been paying attention then but the reality hit me and I....I was so angry and when the elves found out they...they thought I was despicable, a cursed creature that shouldn't touch anyone. So I left and went out on a spree to prove myself worthy. Catching criminals, killing of bandits...that sort of thing. That's how I ended up in the war. I went to fight for the Dharan's freedom and I was named Xoxan, mighty warrior."

Toby confidently took his glass and threw back the whiskey. His entire throat was seared, and he breathed a puff of fire.
“Whoa! That has a kick for sure!” He coughed.
He took another glass of the stuff and threw it back. This time he burped out a heart shaped flame.

—————-

Lautrec hugged her tightly. Something so horrible to happen, and yet he remembered Amelia saying something about her friend who got a raw deal back when they were adventuring the land. He also remembered burying his wife.

“So you won’t ever get old either? That’s reassuring. Is that why you asked me to bite you so many times? You were giving me hints that I was too blind to see.”

Rheitz laughed, though she seemed a little disgusted. "Don't you say excuse me?" She took another glass of the whiskey, sipping it this time. She bit into a piece of lizard, wiping away the dribbles of fat with her sleeve.

Delilah shrugged. "Yes. I know that blood starvation can lead to all sorts of madness, so I tried to offer it up without saying anything. But I did think it would look hot. That was an honest thought. Drunk Delilah doesn't lie." She leaned back, tucking her head under dhampir's chin. "I don't really know what to say now..." she muttered after an awkward pause.

Toby chuckled. “Sorry, I’m used to being around the guys. I forgot I’m in the presence of her majesty, princess of the dunes.” He smirked wryly at her. The booze was making him even more confident.

—————
“Well, if I’m in a tough situation like that again, don’t be afraid to offer it. I just worry about.... him coming back.” He referred to the chained madman who Lautrec was for a short time. The madman who lived in his subconscious but was now lying dormant, or maybe gone until the next taste of blood.

Rheitz blushed. "I'm not the-the "princess" per say, I'm just the chiefs daughter." She drank the rest of her whiskey in her cup, rolling her shoulders back. "When did you join Delilah?" She swung her legs as she turned to face Tobias.

Delilah shivered. "I...that was the first time you actually...scared me. I was...I was scared of you Lautrec. I hadn't seen that kind of rage since the Desert war." She shifted, turning to face him and took his face in her hands. "If my blood can keep you sane, you can take it all. I owe you that much."

Toby stopped drinking and thought back. “I’d say a couple summers. We met at a guild recruitment party. She needed magic support, and I could burp flames and do a thing here and there to be helpful. I wish I was more helpful when Lautrec needed us.”

————

“Lilah... you owe me nothing. I love you.” He kissed the top of her head. “I would never hurt you. That thing isn’t going to take me over again. I swear, before the torture, I never thought for a second about biting someone.... well maybe not for a drink.” He chuckled softly, snuggling with her a bit more.

"Huh. You mean the one at the Giddy Goat?" She accepted another cup of whiskey, which had begun to take its effect on her. "My father and I used to go there when we traveled to the summer hearding grounds." She had begun to hiccup, tears making their way to her eyes.

"He would hold my hand, and, and, and-" she sobbed, "-he would walk with me. We would sit together and he would, would tell me stories! That was the only time he would ever pay attention to me!"

She was bawling obnoxiously now, inhaling another cup of whiskey.

"So you thought of biting other people then? I wonder who could have caught your attention?" Delilah batted her eyelashes, sounding hurt. "Who else could have been so radiant to catch your eye?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back