• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Farewell to Kings: Temple of Hyxia

Winston looked out the window. “You were poisoned. That pastry had something evil inside it. Nobody knows who did it, but everyone is saying Lautrec tried to kill you.”

"Wh-what?!" she groaned, putting her hands in her face.

"Move. I must see my daughter!" The chief hurried into the room, his presence filling it.
"Rhi, my child," he gathered her in his arms but she pushed him away.

"Fana, it wasn't Lautrec! It really wasn't," she shook her head fiercely, her voice sharp.

"You are too trusting. The domorra have always done such things to others. It was only a matter of time before-" he was interrupted by the smash of glass against the floor. Rheitz had thrown the ornate bowl near her bed onto the ground, her nostrils flaring.

"It was not him!"

Her father's expression hardened. "You are a silly child and here I thought you had grown up. You're brother will be fighting this filth this afternoon in the arena. He will show him how powerful the Daharan have become. There will be no questioning my word." He stood up but was quickly met by a guard.

"Chief, some guards have gone missing." The Chieftain frowned.

"Come, we shall see about this."

In the dungeon, he was nailed to wooden posts and baked under a screaming hot aura of holy magic. It completely burnished all mana from him, and made his mind blank in endless agony. His face was carved in half and restitched with metal cords. The same was done to his arms and legs. Fleshbakers, the torturer called it.

"See what love has gotten you, fool?!" A voice screamed in Lautrec's seared mind.
"Father?"
"While you were watching tits bounce around, a sly hand poisoned your food! My firstborn was tricked by a harlot and will now burn out what little trublood he has left!"
"What worth life hath where no good deed goes unpunished?"

"Blood is how she'll beat you. It's always how they've beaten you. It's why I banished you from my domain. My firstborn."
"Enough! You're obviously just my fractured psyche, so talking is pointless."
"Hehehe... is it time yet?"

The dungeon cell door opened, and a guard entered. He turned his head behind him. "Remember what Chief said. No touching, stay five feet away. We'll be watching closely."

-------------------

"What's the word? Aida asked.
"They're checking the barracks. Lautrec lives, but for how much longer?" A possessed soldier asked.
"Tomorrow is the arena battle. We shall destroy him then."
Aida laughed. "Wow, you vampire spirits really want this guy dead. As bad as I do, almost!"
"He killed us once, its time we return the favor!" The possessed men hissed and snarled like ravenous beasts.
The Mob Leader Aida St. Leore laughed haughtily. Everything was lining up perfectly. Tomorrow was the solar eclipse. Her awakening was going to be a defining moment for all vampire kind.
They worked feverishly to carve a transmutation circle in the Red Desert sands five miles away from the village.

The chaos that had ensued after Rhietz’s poisoning had overwhelmed the village with fear and Delilah had been called to the village meeting hall the next day, as in the words of the chief, “to explain some things.”

“Xoxan, our people trust in you and all that you decide, but bring a domorra to the Dharan?!” The Chief curled his hand, pounding a fist against the stone table, “Why?”

Delilah sat rigid in her chair, tension making her shoulders taught. “The domorra I have brought is nothing like those of the past. I should know as I was with you. He does not drink blood nor does he lust for power.”

“He tried to kill my daughter!” The chief pushed his chair back with a groan, standing up. The elders nodded in agreement, some muttering “filthy domorra” under their breaths.

Delilah growled, slamming her hands against the table. “He would never do such a thing. He is a friend of your daughter!” The chief glared at her.

“You believe the childish dreams of my child. Of course. Since you are Xoxan, we will not touch any of your party but this domorra, he will be sent to the arena!”

Delilah opened her mouth to protest, but he hit the table again. “It is a final decision Xoxan. Do not try and lose more respect!”

She had rushed out of the meeting once the elders had finished the ending ceremony and mounted her horse, pushing it to a canyon where she dismounted.

She screamed. Threw curses at the sky. Her chest heaved with unshed tears and the cold fact that she couldn’t do anything. She couldn’t risk the lives of her entire crew for one man, even though he held a large part of her heart in his hand.

Gods, when had she become so helpless?

The shuffle of feet and the crunch of hooves against sand caused Delilah to turn her head quickly. Rheitz gave her a weak smile, dismounting her donkey.

“What? I don’t look that bad, do I?” Delilah forced a grin to her face, putting her hands on her hips.

Rheitz bit her lip, not willing to provoke her to tears. “I...I managed to get you an audience with Lautrec. He’s in the dungeon.”

Delilah stared at her for a moment before pulling her into a hug.

….

"Remember what Chief said. No touching, stay five feet away. We'll be watching closely."

Delilah glanced at the guard, nodding stiffly. The cell that Lautrec was in was dry and cold, the chill of the stone seeping into her clothes. Shivering she faced the wall opposite to the door, opposite Lautrec.

“Did you take the holy magic off him?”

The guard nodded, though he glared at the dhampir behind her. “Yes.”

“You may go now.”

She turned to him and she froze.

His face was smashed, ripped to shreds, the smooth peaks of his face corrupted by blood and ragged flesh. His chest bore the wounds of an animal, scored by a horse whip till there wasn’t much skin to see.

She shook, silently screaming inside as she saw the body of her beloved now a picture of death.

It was a few moments before she spoke, but she managed to let out a shaky sigh.

“You’re going to the arena tomorrow.”

He didn’t respond. He laid upon the wall of the torture chamber. His ears were ringing. His mind was gone. She was speaking to a corpse.

His eyes blinked. Drearily, he looked at the frightened woman.
“I.... I need....” his voice was dry and hollow.
“Blood...” the word came out of his mouth, followed by a deep and hideous laughter. “Blood! Blood! Give it to me!!” His arm twisted on the wood spikes, managing to tear free from it and reaching it out towards Delilah. “Feed me, Delilah!” He screamed and cried.
This wasn’t Lautrec. It wore his skin, his damp, tattered skin like it’d been raked. The torture shattered him.

She hadn't meant too, at least that's what she thought, but the echoes of her promise to him a day ago rung in her ears as she held her sword at him.

"I know you wouldn't try it. Do you dare?"

She edged towards him, disrespecting the command the guard had given her.

"You are not Lautrec. You're the demon that possesses him. I dare you to get out and try me."

He cackled madly at her. "Is that so? Am I the demon, or does Lautrec possess me? Idiot! Our kind has kept humans as pets for centuries. When they stop satisfying us, we dispose of them!" He lunged as hard as he could at her.
"Stay back!" the guard barked at Delilah.
"With your blood, I can undo the damage. With theirs, I can take my throne as king of vampires. Interested?"

Delilah remembered something he said in the heat of passion.
"My queen of black roses, make me your king."

What was even scarier than the thought that Lautrec was possessed, was that he wasn't. She was seeing the birth of a caged madman.

"Wretch!"

She backed away from Lautrec, her handshaking. The press of cold stone against her back made her panic, the reality that she was far more trapped than she thought finally hitting her.

"It's the torture. You only think of this because of the torture." She gasped for air, holding her sword out more as a defense now than as a threat.

He cried out and groaned. His eyes rolled backwards, and from his outstretched hand came a ghostly blue specter, beautiful with his angled face. The spirit smiled at her faintly.

"Run... Delilah... run to Hyxia... the eclipse..." the phantom dissipated. The guards were roused, grabbing Delilah and rushing her out of the dungeon.

"That freak... we should flay him for scaring the Xoxan." one guard said.

Delilah lay on Rheitz's bed, her head in the goat girl's lap. Rheitz was combing her fingers through her hair, humming an old Dharanian tune.

"He-he turned into some wild creature, Rheitz. I think I've fallen for an insane man," Delilah sniffed, tears burning her cheeks. "And even then, he's still looking out for me. For us. I-I've been so selfish. I never stopped to listen to him, to hear the struggles of his heart. I only thought about my own sorry state. It's my fault he's this way. Mine,"

Rheitz stared at the wall opposite the bed, her own tears staining her cheeks. "He is going to fight in the arena tomorrow. Maybe he'll return to some sort of mental stability by then?"

Delilah chuckled darkly. "Then we'll have to pray to the gods that your brother doesn't murder him."

That night, the torturer pulled the metal prongs out of Lautrec’s body, while the mana burner continued to sear his skin. He returned to the mental darkness where he could be safe. The madman was out, and the rider was dormant.

“I wish I spoke up.” Tobias said, shaking his head. “I saw them grab him. I should’ve jumped up and helped him.”
“Then they’d arrest you too.” Einus said.
“So what?!” Tobias said loudly. “He wouldn’t be suffering alone at least. It just doesn’t make sense. Why would he poison his own food? The chief cares not for justice, only to punish a dhampir. We’re a hundred miles from Dominion but the church feels present here.”
“Well, there’s nothing we can do now.” Einus shrugged.
“It was a mistake coming here. I bet they’ve found Hyxia already, carted out barrels full of gold, on their way back now.”

The day of the arena battle was upon them. People came in crowds to pay for today’s show, titled “The Mad Domorra”

The arena pit stunk of sweat and blood, but to the Daharan it was the smell of respect. Men cheered from the stands, pounding their hooves against the stone as if to mimic the pound of a maddeningly loud drum. The trio of men and Delilah sat next to the chief's personal booth and shifted fearfully in their seats as they tried to shut themselves off from the madness around them. A set of guards watched their every move to ensure they didn't run into the pit to help the dhampir.

A man walked out into the middle of the arena pit and held up his hands.

The arena went silent.

"In the past, the domorra was the victor! They enslaved our peoples! Killed our women and children! Disrespected our warrior traditions!" The crowd shouted, stomping hooves. The man held up his hand again. "But no more! The chief's son shall represent us and kill this thorn in our side!" The crowd roared, stomping their hooves even harder against the stone. "We will show how mighty the Daharan have become!"

Shouts of "Kill! Kill! Kill!" echoed throughout the arena as a wooden door opened and the broken dhampir was pulled out, tossed to the ground with nothing more than a scimitar in his hand. Rheitz's brother marched out from a different door, triumphantly raising his own scimitar.

"For my people!," he cried. "I am Masha, son of the great chief of the Daharan. I will show you no mercy. I will remove this filth from our tribe!"

Last edited:
The air smelled like crusted blood. His body ached with a dull noise that barely registered. He was closer now to freedom than he’d been in days. With the end of his torture came the bitter fight ahead.
Lautrec stepped forward slowly towards his opponent Masha.

“This day is the worst day.” He groaned. “Regardless of the results, Rhietz will shed tears. You want this?” He opened his bloody, ripped up arms.
“Will this make it better? Will your dead return and take shape in the world? Will the blood be untasted? Will your barbaric culture be any different? No... this just gets your dick hard, doesn’t it?” The dhampir shot Masha a wicked smile and held his sword steady. The rider was going away, so that the madman could begin anew.

Masha let out a growl. "The fact that you think this is arousing shows how disgusting you are domorra. I would be more aroused fighting a bull than you." He watched the rider, studying his movements as he readied his scimitar for a blow.

He laughed loudly, like a screeching chimpanzee. “If you don’t think the people watching get off on this, you’re a bloody fool! They couldn’t WAIT for an excuse. It’s no wonder Rhietz left the village. Your peoples bloodlust is enough to embarrass a dhampir!” He came at Masha with his sword, swinging again and again with frightening speed and strength behind his attacks.

Masha jumped clear of the shots, his nimble feet allowing him to soar over the dhampir, causing him to land on the other side. "We do not lust for blood! We lust for respect. But the domorras have always had a disgusting lust for pain. Shall I deal you some now?" His scimitar slashed the dhampir's shoulder blade, his hooves slamming against the dhampir's back.

“What is there to respect in a glory hungry tribe of fools? Your culture will be remembered for killing the broken husk of a once proud knight. How respectable indeed.”

The attack had barely stopped him from speaking. He felt no pain. His mind had been broken. He only felt anger and sorrow.

——————

The circle was complete, and Aida’s sacrifices stood around her, who was at the center of it. Each soldier drew a sword and started chopping off their own heads. The circle came to life and sparked with red energy. Aida felt a swell of power coming over her. She laughed. The plan was working. She grew taller, stronger, and her jaw widened to accept a set of fangs into her mouth. Her back sprouted a pair of black wings, and her hands malformed a set of long black claws.
She hissed into the sky and howled over the sandy dunes. The trublood had accepted her, and a hundred vampiric souls had gathered inside of her soul vessel. It was a feeling of deep warmth that made her gleeful. Soon, the firstborn would die.

Masha growled, scimitar clashing with Lautrec's sword. "Yes, we are glory hungry. Our ancestors had honor and we desire to do our part for our people. The fact that you, a domorra, cannot understand this proves how despicable you are!" He sounded as if he was trying to convince himself of something that he didn't believe.

He clashed his blade against Masha’s steel again.
“Oh I understand just fine. The Chief will look strong after I’m dead. I’m sure the Dominion will gleefully accept him into their fold. You think this is about you, or valor for that matter?“ he cackled. “You’re just a soldier sent to kill for your master. A lapdog. In that way, you and I are much alike.” He pulled off one of his signature counters, sending Masha’s blade sailing into the dirt. The dhampir stuck the blade against Masha’s neck.
Just at that moment, in his eyes, Masha saw a change. The wicked smile faded, and a sad looking man was standing against him.
“It’s all so... tiresome.” Lautrec said, lowering the sword slowly from his neck. The crowd was going insane.

Masha glowered at the rider. "But the lapdog that wins will be heavily rewarded. I have yet to earn respect in my father's eyes." His horn locked with the sword at his throat, twisting it out of Lautrec's hand with a swift turn of his hand. He pushed himself up, fists readying themselves to punch. "I will not lose easily, domorra."

Lautrec grabbed Masha’s fist and started pushing him away. “It’s funny, I was thinking the same thing when Dracula seized power. He got fat and rich, and I was banished. You think blood will set you free? It only makes you a slave!” He threw his head against Masha’s head, taking the goat by the horns. His twisted face was dripping with blood.

Rheitz opened her mouth to scream something, but was met with her father's glare. "If you dare speak, child, I will never let you step a foot outside of this village." She closed her mouth, wiping away tears. Delilah glared at the chief, fingers clinging to the stone of her seat.

Masha snarled, his other fist pounding into the dhampir's side. "My father is a man of honor. He respects those who deserve respect! Nothing like yours!"

Lautrec took the beating in his chest and stomach. The air was knocked out of him, and he fell to the ground. He was still cackling madly.
“Honor... honor? Speak to those who died in every war if honor matters to them now.”
The sun was totally blocked out by the sun. Darkness had fallen on the land. Clouds consumed every inch of sky. A dark figure appeared in the clouds.

Suddenly, right before the Chief, a pale woman with long bat wings appeared. She landed with a heavy thud and looked around.
“Good day, Chief.” Aida said before her mouth split open, and her unhinged mouth wrapped around his head, closing shut with a snap, and his head was completely gone. She crunched and chewed on his skull and brain matter, before looking towards the horrified crowd.
“Scared? Why are you scared? It’s me... your SPECIAL GUEST!” She roared and flew into the crowd, ripping off limbs and consuming them. Blood sprayed around as she tore into one after the other.
“Fellas?” Tobias took out a sword, his free hand crackling with lightning. “It’s now or never.”

Delilah pulled her sword out of its sheath. "I've been dying to do this all day," she muttered, vaulting herself over the stone barrier that separated the audience from the arena pit. Enius growled, pulling out a crossbow.

"How did you even-" Winston stared wide-eyed at him, "-we weren't allowed to bring weapons, let alone crossbows!"

Enius frowned, "Sometimes I wonder whether you're mother bashed your head into a wall as a kid."

Rheitz screamed as the blood of her father ran down Aida's deformed face, eyes wide at the site of her fangs. "Y-you didn't have those before," she said stupidly, pushing herself into her chair as if to hide herself, she pulled a knife from a sheath at her waist.

Masha looked up from the arena pit. "I believe you are no longer the enemy anymore." He pushed the dhampir up, allowing him to stand straight. "You must forgive me for hurting you. I know my father's decision was rash but a domorra killed my grandfather. He does not take kindly to your kind. I know it was this creature who poisoned you, but my father wouldn't listen." He bowed his head. "Except my apologies. I thought I was fighting for honor, but instead, I was fighting like a man without it."

Lautrec stood, but his limbs were weak. He looked up and saw the carnage. His sister was capable of something like this? In all his years, he never could’ve imagined this.
“Aida!!!” Lautrec showed his frail body to her. The demonic being turned towards the arena. She hopped down and slowly approached.
“I’m here, and I have nothing. I can hardly move. No magic, no tools of destruction. Listen to me!”
The vampiress approached.
“I’m sorry!” He said loudly. Aida cocked her head to the side.
“I was a bastard, jealous and cruel. That’s right, Lautrec St. Leore was jealous of his youngest sister. You were born perfect. The best of any of us. You had a chance to be a good human, something I’ve tried to be my whole life. I envied your humanity, so I abandoned you. Well, I see you now. You’re fierce, unyielding, and a master of subversion. You would’ve made Father proud. That’s something I’ve never done.”
“Why...” Aida asked. “Why did it take you this long to say that?”
“I needed to see the truth for myself. What I’ve valued most in life has always been the humankind.”
“Humans are weak... they are cattle to us!” Aida growled at him.
“This isn’t you saying that. Aida loved humans. She hated me because her people died. Isn’t that right?”
Aida was confused, holding her head in agony as a hundred spirits collided against her mind, all fighting for control of the new demonic life form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back