News Facts that you learned today!

Archdemon

Some random dude on the Internet
Basically whenever you learn a new fact, tell everyone what that is! So I'll start off!

I learned that NASA is working on some experimental propulsion rocket thing (Can't remember the actual name of the part) that bounces protons around to create thrust, which if they are successful in it being powerful and reliable, we could technically reach Mars in like 3 days from their calculations! Also so far the Heavy Falcon X rocket that Elon Musk's company made is the most powerful rocket to fly into space at the moment.

I learned today that Prince Vlad Dracul (Vlad The Impaler) of Wallacia was one of the first rulers to immediately respond to the call for a crusade against the Turks, and him fighting helped the fighting spirit amongst the Christians rebound due to his successful campaigns against the turks.

Bonus fact for those who don't know. Vlad is the main inspiration for Dracula, due to his brutal nature and the fear he spread towards his enemies. His palace is also the inspiration for Dracula's castle as well.

US flag raised on Iwo Jima

23 Feb

During the bloody Battle for Iwo Jima, U.S. Marines from the 3rd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment of the 5th Division take the crest of Mount Suribachi, the island’s highest peak and most strategic position, and raise the U.S. flag. Marine photographer Louis Lowery was with them and recorded the event. American soldiers fighting for control of Suribachi’s slopes cheered the raising of the flag, and several hours later more Marines headed up to the crest with a larger flag. Joe Rosenthal, a photographer with the Associated Press, met them along the way and recorded the raising of the second flag along with a Marine still photographer and a motion-picture cameraman.

During Prohibition, Napa Valley wineries would sell blocks of grape concentrate that said :"WARNING: IF BRICK IS DISSOLVED INTO A GALLON OF WATER, DO NOT PLACE THE LIQUID IN A JUG AWAY IN THE CUPBOARD FOR TWENTY DAYS OR ELSE YOU WILL MAKE WINE."

They justified this to lawmakers by saying they were just making sure their customers weren't breaking the law.

There is a small percentage of people who can control their tensor tympani muscle. When they use it, they create a rumbling noise in their ear.

I am one of these people

There is a small percentage of people who can control their tensor tympani muscle. When they use it, they create a rumbling noise in their ear.

I am one of these people

I am one of these people
Wait a minute... this entire time the thing I could do had a name? And that not everyone could do it? Sweet!

During Prohibition, Napa Valley wineries would sell blocks of grape concentrate that said :"WARNING: IF BRICK IS DISSOLVED INTO A GALLON OF WATER, DO NOT PLACE THE LIQUID IN A JUG AWAY IN THE CUPBOARD FOR TWENTY DAYS OR ELSE YOU WILL MAKE WINE."

They justified this to lawmakers by saying they were just making sure their customers weren't breaking the law.

Ha! Reminds me of how several Kentucky distilleries got around prohibition--they were making "medicinal Bourbon" which doctors could prescribe to patients if they were sick. The amount usually prescribed was large (compared to a tiny bottle of modern cough syrup for instance), and at one point there were more people being prescribed medicinal Bourbon in Kentucky than people living in Kentucky! Also while Annheuser Busch shut down brewing during prohibition, they diversified a ton, including selling yeast for baking. This allowed them to immediately convert back to brewing once prohibition was lifted, since they still had the yeast.

I learned that apparently during the Cold War the Russians mounted a 23 mm anti-aircraft gun on a space station (or maybe it was a craft), the idea being that if necessary it could defend the Russian craft if an American one tried to board and presumably commandeer/attack. They never had to fire it in anger of course, and it seems they test fired it once after the crew left. I imagine the 23 mm slug (and maybe casing) is still floating or orbiting in space.

Don't put thirty rockets on a trash can with some seats on it and think you'll get to the moon.

You just get disappointment and dead Kerbals.

Traps are actually characters who are one gender but look and act like the other. Not actual 'traps' as in boobie traps. Now it makes sense why people say traps are gay---I feel ashamed that I am only learning this right now xD

Traps are actually characters who are one gender but look and act like the other. Not actual 'traps' as in boobie traps. Now it makes sense why people say traps are gay---I feel ashamed that I am only learning this right now xD

Lol I only became aware of the term "trap(s)" (as you describe) recently myself. Before that I knew some might be that way of course, but never really gave much thought to the prospect of there being a specific term for it.

Today I learned that I'm not the only person in my town who has heard of Triakel, a Swedish folk group, lol. I went to see a trad group who I thought played mostly a mix of American, Irish, and Scottish trad, but they introduced a couple of Swedish songs they said were "from a Swedish group named Triakel"--like I said, thought I must be the only one in this region who knows about them!

I learned that Stalin after ww2 was planning his own Final Solution for the Jews.

I learned that among several differences in French and Prussian equipment and doctrines during the 1870 Franco-Prussian War, one important factor was that the Prussians implemented more modern, longer ranged artillery, so (at least in theory) they could blast away at the French artillery and positions with impunity, (also in theory) lessening any advantages the French might've had with rifles. IIRC the French also did not emphasize marksmanship even though they had the more accurate rifle, whereas the Prussians did.

I learned that teachers don't like having an insult attempt thrown back at them. I now have detention tomorrow XD.

I learned that the Kriegsmarine's 1943 raid on allied-held Svalbard, Operation Zitronella, was probably not meant to do too much strategically but was a way for the surface element of the Kriegsmarine to score points with Hitler and show that the surface fleet was still useful despite the emphasis on u-boats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back