Advice/Help Expansive Lore In Interest Checks

Lore or no lore?

• Total voters

Lappi

The Living Script
I am working on a pretty expansive Sci-Fi RP and I was pondering if the people of RPN generally prefer a 'less is more' attitude or if I would garner more attention linking all the lore. Vote above.

Advice Given (As to avoid repetition)
  • Essential lore
  • Organize well
  • Use hyperlink to another page

Last edited:
While I am a worldbuilding passionate, I find that interest checks are a really bad place to dump your lore. Your interest check is the place where you sell me the RP- you ought to give me the info that I need to know and show me what it's appeal is. If you dump on me a directionless wall of text, it will only serve to make you seem overwhelming.

Last edited:
While I am a worldbuilding passionate, I find that interest checks are a really bad place to dump your role. Your interest check is the place where you sell me the RP- you ought to give me the info that I need to know and show me what it's appeal is. If you dump on me a directionless wall of text, it will only serve to make you seem overwhelming.
I'm talking more of an extensive, lore encyclopedia. Well organized, catagorized, and easy to find everything. I should say what I'm working on will also have a cut down version that goes over all the basics.

Thanks for the input. I will take it into account.

I'm talking more of an extensive, lore encyclopedia. Well organized, catagorized, and easy to find everything. I should say what I'm working on will also have a cut down version that goes over all the basics.
Again, if it's in your interest check it doesn't matter how well organized it is- for a player it will still be a wall of text, because you will making it harder to tell what's actually relevant for whether they would want to join your RP. I think it's good to have a lot of well-developed, consistent lore, but you shouldn't put it in your interest check.

Lol I am someone who loves world building and I would agree with Idea.

If you must you can always link the encyclopedia after you get interest.

For the check just give about a paragraph overview and if necessary an FAQ of questions asked specifically by players

Eh, imo lore should be put on a seperate thread. While lots and lots of lore in an interest check may garner something like 'wow this guy really care about his world!', it may also deter some people from joining by the sheer pressure it gives out. Like 'holy hell do we have to know all of this?' or 'this is so good... maybe I'm not good enough for this' or several other reasons.

Following Idea Idea , I think interest check should only shows information relevant to the potential roleplayer.

You don't need to show them an entire elvish language you craft from scratch if the players are not likely to use it.

Eh, imo lore should be put on a seperate thread. While lots and lots of lore in an interest check may garner something like 'wow this guy really care about his world!', it may also deter some people from joining by the sheer pressure it gives out. Like 'holy hell do we have to know all of this?' or 'this is so good... maybe I'm not good enough for this' or several other reasons.

Following Idea Idea , I think interest check should only shows information relevant to the potential roleplayer.

You don't need to show them an entire elvish language you craft from scratch if the players are not likely to use it.
Well it would be linked on the Interest Check, but I understand that not all information is helpful.

Thanks for the advice Dama.

I was pondering if the people of RPN generally prefer a 'less is more' attitude or if I would garner more attention linking all the lore.
I prefer to breakdown the "people of RPN" into groups. For instance, lore-heavy roleplays are appealing to certain groups and unappealing to others. With that in mind you should consider what group or groups are you hoping to attract?

If you're hoping to attract members like myself—self-assured, ambitious, detailed, epic fantasy world lovers—then linking the lore is the right play. It lets us see the totality of your vision as well as how much work you've put into it. And the roleplayers in my group appreciate lovingly constructed worlds.

Others don't, or they require a slower intake. You can't please everyone so your best bet is to try and identify your desired audience and then play to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back