• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) Based RP

Jtucker19

Chapter I: Assemble

Nuvian floated through the azure sky atop his mighty dragon, Kendryn, his eyes scanning the earth below them for his query. The earth flashed past them in a blur, but not too fast for Nuvian's elven eyes to adequately survey the area. Kendryn tilted his left wing upwards in order to avoid a patch of trees that were slightly taller than the others.

"There." Nuvian spoke to Kendryn with his mind, pointing to a cave, all but hidden beneath the dense foliage, not far from their current position. Kendryn gave naught but a grunt of consent. Diving downward he pulled his wigs in, streamlining his body, twisting and turning to fit in between clumps of trees. He landed on the forest floor with a loud thud. The forest was quiet and quite dark. Surveilling his surroundings, Nuvian slid off Kendryn's back and moved towards the cave entrance.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ember ran as fast as her legs could bear. She risked a glance behind her but saw nothing but lush forest foliage. Without breaking stride, she leapt forward using her momentum to scramble up a tree, then jumped from the trunk to an outreaching branch. With a grunt of effort, she pulled herself up onto the branch then jumped to a higher one. She repeated this process a number of times glancing downwards occasionally to check behind her. As soon as she reached the top of the tree's branches she leapt up with all of her strength and unfurled her amber wings. A hand wrapped around her ankle, dragging her back down, grounding her. She twisted her foot in an attempt to break free but the grip was tight and would not release her. Entwined like knots of rope the two, fell to the forest floor, Ember guiding them into a large pile of leaves to cushion the fall. Her captor twisted at the last moment to absorb most of the impact from the fall as the two hit the ground rolling a bit with the momentum of their descent. Ember twisted to face upwards, laughing.

"Very well," she stated, chuckling, "You've caught me. But that doesn't prove your a faster flyer. I was-"

She was cut short as Lief leaned down to kiss her, his sandy-blonde hair falling forward. She leaned into the kiss and regretted him pulling away from her.

"We should be getting back." He stood reaching out a hand to help her up as he tossed his hair out of his face.

As she took his hand, a deep shadow fell over the forest darkening everything below. They both looked up, unable to see what was casting the shadow. Whatever it was, had to be big. Worry colored Ember's honey gold eyes as she looked to Lief's. They joined hands and as they fluttered their wings and hovered above the forest's foliage the shadow crossed over them. Ember could not believe what she saw. A large warship floated in the sky moving seamlessly through the air.

"It's headed for the Village," Lief said.

"We have to warn the-" Explosions made Ember's words inaudible. Their wings caught the shockwave of the blast almost knocking them from the sky as they both staggered back. "No!"
She shouted, unexplainably reaching out as if she could stop all this by simply denying it. Their village was covered in flame; smoke jetted up making it increasingly difficult to see.

"We have to help them!" Ember gripped Lief's hands so tightly her nails dug into his skin. Just then, ladders fell from the warship and people started scrambling down towards the ground.

"We have to help them!" Ember repeated diving towards the village. Lief pulled her back.

"I know, but we don't know who these people are or what they're capable of. We have to be careful."

Horror somehow paralyzed Ember yet also spurned her to action. "Follow me," Lief said. Wrapping his hands around her waist he flew above her, his forest green wings blending in with the tops of the trees and providing some camouflage for them both. Soon they had to go lower, as the smoke from the burning village was rising and choking them. They landed softly just at the edge of the village using the massive trunks of old pines as cover. Their once peaceful village was a warzone.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I will not fit inside." Kendryn rumbled, ducking his head to peek inside the cave's mouth. He was right, there was no way that Kendryn would be able to fit any more than his neck inside the cave.

"Then I'll go in alone," Nuvian replied. "It is a simple beast. There is no need to worry." He rested his hand on Kendryn's snout and with the other drew his silver sword which glimmered like freshly polished jewelry.

"I do not like it."

Just as Nuvian took a step inside the cave he received a mental message. The council of Elder Dragon Riders had summoned him back to Doru Araeba, with no delay. He turned curiously to Kendryn.

"I sensed it too."

"Strange." Nuvian confessed then turned to head deeper into the cave, thinking that he would finish his mission and then return to Vroengard.

"With no delay, they said."

Nuvian sighed. "Very well." When he exited the cave he stretched his hand toward the entrance. "Stenr detta."

The stone at the cave's entryway cracked and fell until the cave's entrance was blocked entirely by stone.

"I do not relish the thought of leaving the poor creature to starve, but it will do no more harm to the villagers." Nuvian pulled himself up onto Kendryn's back and reached out to his sister, Niphredil, with his mind.

"Sister, did you receive the summons, as well?"

Kendryn unfurled his metallic wings, catching an updraft that he allowed to carry him high into the air. It was not long until they arrived at the city of Doru Araeba, the Rider's city. Kendryn touched down surprisingly gently, considering his massive size and Nuvian once again slid off.

"I am hungry. I will hunt while you convene."

"Kill swiftly and with mercy." Nuvian said and watched Kendryn's mighty form rise from the ground. He could not express how grateful he was that Kendryn chose him. Not only, was the bond between Kendryn and him irreplaceable but Kendryn's choice also allowed him and his sister to remain together. Despite Nuvian's inability to express his gratitude. He knew that Kendryn was fully aware of how much he had done for him. Nuvian turned and went inside, hurrying towards the Great Hall.

Long pure white hair pulled back into a high ponytail flashed as the elven rider leaned over to press elegant fingers against the stunning opalescent scales of her dragon. A white blouse and dark pants allowed the girl to lean over and blend into the scales of her dragon as they did their rounds. Piercing emerald orbs, deep and gem-like, studied her surroundings as Niphredil did a small round of scouting while passing time to meet up with her brother. Niphredil wasn't often found far from Nuvian and when she was - it wasn't for very long. The two siblings had been inseparable and while Niphredil loved her dragon, she had been almost inconsolable when she realized she might be separated from her brother.

"You are thinking about it again Niph." The gentle and soothing voice, like chiming crystals against a soft rippling waterfall, echoed in her mind as Asena felt her rider's mind delve deeper into the chaos it used to feel. The white haired maiden glanced down to see the elegant head turned slightly so whirling turquoise and gold rimmed orbs met her own emerald ones.

"I am sorry Asena, I get so...emotional sometimes." Niphredil replied with her mind to her bonded partner. The duo circling over the trees as both orbs returned to scan for danger. A soft brush against her mind and her brother's voice caused the maiden to perk up almost instantly and she sighed, she had indeed also felt the summons from the city and she gently tapped her dragon before they turned to head to the city of Doru Araeba. "Yes, Asena and I are on our way back Nuvian." The younger twin thought back, knowing her brother would want the update. As soon as the city came into view, a soft smile made its way across the elegant face as the teenage equivalent rider jumped down from Asena and gave her dragon a gentle rub, pressing her lips to the nose softly before turning. Shouldering her bow and quiver she gentle jogged to her brother's side "Nuvian!" She grinned as her dragon took off to go hunt for herself, throwing her lithe body against her brother eagerly. "About time I saw you again." The twin laughed softly as her accent slid through a bit more thickly.

"So, what's the job, this time?" Shaen questioned, clinging to the length of Flame's neck as Jet stood and walked around her, impossibly light steps barely even jostling the surface he strode on. Air whipped past the two at dizzying speeds, flinging Jet's hair back against his neck and clawing at his eyes with pointed talons. It rushed by his ears, filling them with the loud white noise he'd grown so familiar with.

"No idea. They just told us we should be there," the Rider replied, walking out along his dragon's wing with the confidence of someone who had done it many times and would do it many more. Flame's keeled scales were sharp, offering him purchase even without the use of his hands. "I believe they forget I am not under them, but we will go nonetheless. It could be important. If it is another one of their political games, we go home."

"Such that it is," Flame added, rumbling deep in their throat to accentuate the statement. "Will we request payment this time?"

"Only if we should," Jet replied, returning to his pacing. The heavy staff perched between his shoulders tugged at it's holder, the weight familiar and almost comforting at this point. They had been summoned a mere few minutes ago, and it was incredibly lucky they had been in the area, otherwise it could have taken days.

"What are the chances they staged that last job to keep us near?" Shae asked, sitting up and half-turning to look at the Rider currently pacing down the length of his dragon, motions jerky and abrupt but as graceful as a bird. Their last mission had ended up with them—quite literally—chasing a goose around the forest. A goose, and though Jet kept it well under wraps, she knew that everyone was tired of being errand-people.

"I'd say a one-in-three," Flame replied with the draconic equivalent of a mischievous grin, their long fangs flashing in the daylight—yes, that was another thing.

It was daytime.

They were awake in the normal person equivalent of midnight because they all received a mental wake-up call that was the equivalent of a slap in the face.

So, just as a reminder. They were all hungry, exhausted, frustrated, and tired of getting mock-jobs that tend to be played for a joke.

Jet groaned, flopping backward and stretching across Flame's back with a frustrated noise. "On the bright side, we may be able to get food here."

"Watch them not have anything decent for those who don't eat meat." They replied dryly, mental voice dripping with cynicism.

Granted, it was a valid concern, it happened before... but Jet chose to be optimistic.

"Your capacity for finding the sun will never cease to amaze me."

Flame arched up, a clear sign for Shae to cling tighter and for Jet to get upright and into an actual riding position before they were flung off. Not moments after they had did Flame take a long breath and snap their wings shut, spines flattening to their neck and limbs sleeking close to their body to streamline their form, their riders doing the same in turn.

The three dropped our of the sky, the air tugging at Flame's wings, begging them to give into the temptation and rise back up where the air was thin and they could glide on strong, warm winds. Even so, their limbs stayed tucked close to their form. The ground rushed up to greet them, reaching out with the promise of a gentle embrace.

"Yeah, of death," Shaen snorted, catching the tail-end of Flame's thought.

They snorted, straightening their body and slowly letting the wind coerce their wings open so-as-to not break their riders' more delicate bodies. "We'll arrive on the hour," They all-but drawled, making their displeasure with that arrangement loud and clear.

~~~

Flame was less-than-pleased in the hour it took them to arrive, and though they didn't outwardly display it, they did make it very known to the pair of other travelers that soon departed from them. The dragon huffed, curling up beside the "Great Hall" as the two humanoids' footsteps faded from their auditory range.

Skies, were they tired.

Still mildly annoyed at the interrupted sleep, Flame tucked their head under one of their wings and settled, staying "awake" but resting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back