Episode 5: When the Knights Go Marching In

bI0HH26.png

eden trammel​

KxkuVC9.jpg

At Pier

With Damafaud Damafaud Teh Frixz Teh Frixz

OOC sorry this took so long, was racking my head to figure out how to make this post long enough and deciding whether i should introduce the NPCs in this post - also got dama's permission to do the thing
Aid opened his hand to Eden and asked, "Pinkie, what's your power?"

He grinned mischievously. "You wouldn't mind a demonstration, right?" Bringing his thumb up to his mouth, Eden swiftly bit down with all his strength and winced as his skin broke and warm liquid began spilling out around his teeth. He met Aid's hand with a firm grip and said, "Don't worry, it's not HIV," before injecting the injury into him.

"Wound transferral! Pretty fun stuff sometimes. And my name's Eden. Nice to meet you."

Soon after the interaction, the announcement commenced detailing the final exam's water course (for which Eden's power held no importance), and teams began to head toward the water launcher. However, Aid was the only other member of "Team 6" in sight, so the two were unfortunately shackled to the gruesomely mundane task of finding their missing members.

"Hey, maybe we should just shout out 'TEAM SIX' and see if the other guys show up," he offered in hopes that Aid would take the reigns on this task. He strategically placed a number of glances and head twitches in his direction. Though Eden was certainly capable of it, he was simply too lazy to pass by an opportunity to shovel the duty onto someone else.

Anthony Costanzo
Tony Costanzo.jpg
Interaction: Imogen Jarsdel
Mood: Charmed, and charming.
Nearby: Various, but especially Ward and Swan.
@s: Syrenrei Syrenrei Zahzi Zahzi Giyari Giyari

Tony listened attentively, with a part of his mind, to what Imogen was saying. She was clearly very passionate about her job, and he devoted a small portion of his attention to signaling his sympathy with her life's work. Posture, stance, face. Open, engaged, smile. Nod. Nod again. Laugh lightly. Twinkly eyed smile...

His attention was splintering. Not that any casual observer would notice; he'd been able to keep his personal charm turned on while distracted since he was ten. But even this far past the fringes of the crowd, this was a chaotic environment. Too many stimuli. Manami
(aquatic adaptations, poison stingers) flipped through the air in his peripheral vision, cutting water and leaping out again with an alacrity that was startling. She'd need reclassification. They should have tested her in the harbor rather than just a lab tank. Eden (Trauma absorption, trauma projection) walked by talking with Aid (Personalized Solid Liquefaction) Other faces in the crowd swam together, files leaping to mind faster than even he could process them. For the barest fraction of second, he winces in pain. Covering with a cough, he shifts slightly to his left, turning to edge the crowd out of his central view and focus more on Imogen. She was pretty. Animated. Talking about insurance. He smiled, genuine and warm, eyes sparkling. Not quite to the point of seeming flirty, just... happy to hear 108 had somebody watching out for safety issues.

His eyes met Imogen's, relieved to have a single focus again, just as she was was finishing laying the groundwork for her sales pitch to Swan about modernizing 108. Music to Anthony's ears, and judging by her posture, his turn to talk again. He laughed lightly.

“See, this is what I mean... 'Hero' is maybe the wrong word, but I cannot stress enough: You are exactly what 108 needs. A strong hand on the tiller and a good mind for safety concerns! Modernization is just the first step! There is so much procedural work to be done. For example: Did you know the Key bridge got destroyed because of poor internal memo procedures? The proximate cause was Victoria Beckett, but the root cause was Mallory not getting notified of our up-classification before she was readmitted to class. Can you believe that? 'For want of a nail...' as they say. You are going to be a godsend for this facility, Ms Jarsdel. By the way, if you want a wingman for the conversation, I'd be happy to accompany you in a search for Director Swan if you'd like to get the ball rolling.”

Last edited:
Hunter Red Ward
c8c92e963b6f43ad4b57b7498953ddcd.jpg

Nearby: Swan ( Giyari Giyari )
Disposition: Skykid is always up for something....Is Hertz even able to leave his HOUSE anymore..?

"Oh, I don't wanna hear SHIT about how you ended up with this job."
Red grunted, staring at the water.

"The fact you are wanting to put me to this task tells me how desperate you are, going up against Commonwealth's wishes."

There was a long pause, memories flaring up from all those years ago. The cause, the violence, the chaos, it's completely different, yet easy enough to compare.
"The Knights might think they're just going through the same motions as Rapture, but they decided to include innocent civilians in their bloodshed without even an attempt to keep them out of it. I have a few calls to make, it seems....You might have issues with this...Homecoming." he looked back at Swan with a dull expression. No doubt the man would have old memories about his comrades returning.

"I'm sure Chernov would have a stroke."
He was most likely right. She hadn't been great with health after he turned himself in all that time ago.

"And Swan. If you really want this to be done, I need you to promise me something. If this gets leaked out, you have no knowledge of any of this. They'd expect this from me. They'd assume I was the mastermind behind it all. No need for you to get dragged below the rug."

Last edited:
Ernest Rousseau
Waters edge.
Nearby: Imogen and Anthony (and probably others)

Mostly curious. But also procrastinating on fixing the broken toilet.

This particular day wasn't the most memorable of days. No, it was pretty standard. Aside from, a small series of unfortunate events... involving the 109 busdriver, suspicious individuals, cacti, a bottle of dish soap, a flat tire, and an uncharacteristically high powered sniper rifle... Ernest had been called away earlier to see that the students of 109 would be able to get to the exam safetly. Well, on such a short notice as it had been, and the circumstances involving the incident, finding a replacement driver that was certified in transporting student supers was not something that could just be readily done. Thankfully, Ernest was on hand to be sent out, and was qualified to do just that.

Ernest had arrived just a little bit ago, and after ushering the students and their chaperone to hurry and get registered and queued up, he went right back to what he was doing.... which was cleaning the bathroom. Not that it was messy... but whoever cleaned it last left streaks on the chrome, and that sort of thing just really ground his gears. Streaks. On the chrome! Whoever it wasn't couldn't have been bothered to just wipe them down with a dry rag... some people just had no pride in their work...

But before he could even get started on what he wanted to do... he arrived at the stalls to a rather unpleasant sound. And upon further investigation discovered the young Ophelia hugging one of the toilets, emptying the contents of her stomach. While he wasnt too pleased to see her tentacles cracking the porcelain as she squeezed it... he spent the next while helping her, and getting her to first aid tent so she could get sent home. The visored Victoria was also in there, apparently not feeling any better.

Ernest didn't stay, he didn't want to get sick too... but as he left, he knew that he was going to have to wipe down and disinfect the whole school in case this ended up spreading. And if it spread... that would be not the kind of mess he wanted to clean up.

Well, with another round of exams about to start, he decided he might watch it. He didn't get to see one yet. And not too far, was the safety inspector chick and one of those creepy scientist goons. They seemed like they would be interesting company to watch with. And as he approached, he figured what better way to introduce himself than take what was said out of context,"Nail. Wingman. Getting the ball rolling on Director Swan. I'm not sure which way I want to hear that." He joked as he stopped by them. Still in his pastel blue jumpsuit. But also the ball cap and aviators he had forgotten to take off when playing busdriver. "Sorry if I'm interrupting anything. Just got back, was curious if I missed anything."

Syrenrei Syrenrei Gus Gus ManicMuse ManicMuse

Morgan Brahn
Koutarou._Artist_.full.890455.jpg

Overview
LocationWas pacing around the docks, now running away.
Company---
MoodBATSHIT TERRIFIED
ActionsRunning away like a little bitch.
Tags---
Today, Morgan came to school wearing four limiters – one on each wrist, and one on each ankle. His plan, you see, was to go through the exam as though it were just a really bad P.E. test. After all, he was just a telepath, it wasn’t like he had any physical superpowers that had to be controller. Just… the ability to read thoughts.

The hum of too many people thinking too many things too close to him became louder, as a security guard confiscated his three extra limiters for the exam. He probably would have cried on the spot, if he had any emotion left in him to spare. The anxiety was numbing, whenever it wasn’t giving him the idea to plunge headfirst off the dock.

… Which, would explain why he was pacing restlessly around the docks right now, eyes wide and blank and staring off into the horizon, into an imaginary silence.

“I just have to make it through today, just today, then I’ll be free –”

Ah, shit. In the distance, Morgan saw Mr. Ward. And worse… he could feel his mother nearby. His face went pale at the prospect of a repeat of Christmas, and the boy immediately took off running in the opposite direction. He had to find someone, literally anyone, to hide behind so that he could pretend he saw absolutely nothing.

Dr. Jules Lacy Brahn
jules-2040-small.png

Overview
LocationApproaching Imogen, Ernest, and Anthony
Tags Syrenrei Syrenrei D. Rex D. Rex Gus Gus
As a mother, it was Mrs. Brahn’s number one priority in life to make sure her children were as successful as possible. Of course, some people called her strict, or accused her of being a stereotypical Asian tiger mom – nevermind that she turned out perfectly fine.

There was only one last major hurdle in her path to her progeny’s success – the teachers. Her sons had been tight-lipped about the happenings of 108, what they had been learning, who had been teaching them, and that simply would not suffice for the good doctor-turned-baker.

She rounded a corner, and spotted a trio of adults nears the docks. Hopefully they were employees.

“Excuse me,” she asked sweetly. “I’m looking for some of my son’s teachers… are they all on the course right now?”

She had not yet spotted Jason or Red.

Lucas Marsolet
LucasMarsolet.png

@Anarchist

As his host made his preparations to leave, Lucas wiped roughly at his eyes and put his shirt back on. Getting offered help by a stranger was more or less the last thing he had expected. His equilibrium would probably have been less thrown into disarray if he'd been attacked. His eyes continued to burn and his breath hitched in his throat, husky and hot. He stood up, trying not to let the other man see how worked up he had become and stumbled into the bathroom. He blew his nose as quietly as he could, running the water in the sink to cover the sound. He tilted his head and peered into the mirror with his one good eye. It was obvious that he'd been crying, and there was no helping that; he knew very well that running water over his face would wash away the flesh as well as tears.

He stepped back out of the bathroom to see his new benefactor holding up car keys and his face fell.

“Oh... is 108 far from here? I have... trouble... with cars. Or rather they have trouble with me. Maybe I could follow you in short hops by wire.”

Last edited:
de2e390eb113920d1faf38cf70eb9531.jpg

Nearby: Morgan ( welian welian )
Disposition: Who the fuck is paying for all this shit!?

A robotic limb found its way in front of Morgan's shins as he made the decision to flee. Jordan remained staring at the abomination in the water as there was a resounding thud.
"If you think of a second I'm about to let you leave me with making sure mom doesn't re-enact the Christmas fiasco again, then I hope you're also prepared to be the test subject for the next project I start when I get BORED." Jordan threatened, his disposition to this entire situation far from agreeable.

"I think I speak not only for myself here, Morgan. But probably the entire human race as a whole. Primarily the female half. You need to man the fuck up." He paused, contemplating the possibility that could even happen.
"....Or at least try to fake it until we're done with this HALF-ASSED ATTEMPT AT A ELIMINATION GAMESHOW CREATED BY FUCKED UP VOLUNTEERS."
The same limb that had tripped Morgan before latched onto the front of his shirt, lifting him near to Jordan's height as he reached over with his own hands, forcing him to look toward the man-made platforms.
"Look at it-LOOK AT IT. SEE JUST WHAT THEY HAVE WROUGHT. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I COULD BE DOING WITH MY FREE TIME INSTEAD OF BEING HERE!? DEALING WITH THIS BULLSHIT!? I CAN'T EVEN RUN TWENTY FEET WITHOUT PASSING OUT AND THEY WANT ME TO DO THIS BULLSHIT!?"
Clearly, someone was upset with the situation.​

Imogen Jarsdel
"Evermore"
Location: Near the First Obstacle of the AEGIS Final Exam Course
Conversing with: Anthony Gus Gus , Ernest D. Rex D. Rex , Jules welian welian
On Earpiece: Penny Teh Frixz Teh Frixz
When Anthony referred to Imogen as a godsend to the facility she looked- and felt- rather uncomfortable. In her mind she was simply a woman who had a mission (safety) and was incredibly faithful to it. Nothing about herself seemed all that extraordinary except her powers. Perhaps she was needed to help keep things more in line with standards here, but it wasn't as if she individually was crucial for her task. Well, that might not be true. Given all the passive threats of the students discovering their powers, she was more well-equipped to withstand than most. There was also the matter that no other experienced inspector or consultant would touch this place with a hundred foot pole. Before she accepted the offer here she had mentioned it in passing to a few colleagues. They had naturally assumed she'd shoot it down given AEGIS Facility 108's track record and, when she indicated she was strongly considering accepting, they had given her looks of pity. Imogen was relatively certain they thought she was mentally ill now.

Maybe she was in retrospect.

As she was opening her mouth as to reply to Anthony another person walked up. It was a man but, unlike Anthony, he was older. It was funny how as the years had gone on she had come to mentally not notice the relative attractiveness of a younger man, or a much older one, but had become even more acutely aware of those in her range. Anthony was much younger, she estimated by well over a decade, and so despite his brilliance he had not set her heart fluttering. Likewise Jason Swan did not elicit any sort of schoolgirl fantasies. This new arrival? A passive observation but him squarely in the range of years she had lived even if her body didn't show it.

Imogen had terrible experiences in dating. Comparatively the discrimination she received as a super was a walk in the park when it came to romance. Of the singles that were interested they fell into one of three categories: some were very excited about her agelessness for all the wrong (creepy) reasons, some could not handle growing old while their spouse didn't age a day, and some were so loaded with their own personal baggage they could barely handle a cat. The last time she had gone out for coffee her date had asked if it was possible to reverse age herself to 21. He was 42. Needless to say they didn't share a table again.

Ernest had approached, teasing (she hoped) about Anthony's remarks being full of inappropriate innuendo. Were he a dashing young lad of 25, or an elderly gentleman of 63, or hooking his arm around a woman while showing off his wedding band she would have been nonplussed. Imogen would have stared at him, explained or excused herself, and barely taken note of the joke. But she couldn't. No, Ernest looked just available enough that the passive, stoic, rather withdrawn countenance was overtaken by a splash of rose on the apples of her cheeks and bled down slightly. Imogen found herself completely mute. Nothing made it past her lips. Hell, she wasn't sure she was even still breathing normally.

And then there was another adult sauntering up, this one twice as endowed as Imogen with both breasts and assertiveness, and she inquired about teachers. Imogen didn't do well in crowds. There were people better equipped for social situations and she hoped that she was in the presence of two of them. Her body language, which had been so casual with Anthony alone, now spoke to her quiet nature as she fell silent and deferred to those who wanted to speak. With any luck the woman looking for teachers wouldn't address her directly and compel a response.

Anthony Costanzo
Tony Costanzo.jpg
Interactions: Imogen, Ernest, Mrs. Brahn
Mood: amused
@s Syrenrei Syrenrei D. Rex D. Rex welian welian

Tony watched a parade of subtle emotional tells flicker across Imogen's face as he spoke. Self doubt, deprecation, discomfort, a tiny hint of pride, and then back to self doubt. His attention began to wander again, as his speech wound down. He could already tell that she didn't have the gumption to confront Swan, even with back up, but he offered anyway, careful not to sound half hearted or condescending at all.

Most of his thoughts had already moved on however. Part of his mind amused itself watching the afternoon sunlight glinting off the water and wondering if random modulation of high intensity broad spectrum light could be used to defeat classical invisibility. Good fodder for an argument with Huck later, or maybe worth a promotion if he could make a prototype. Another part of his mind reflected back on itself, as Lisa had been encouraging him to do. This was harder than it seemed. Whenever he looked inward, he felt an overwhelming urge to look away, as if afraid of what might be revealed. Little by little though, he was getting better at it. Or he thought he was. It was hard to tell; meditation wasn't as results oriented as he'd like, and sometimes he thought he was fooling himself.

He was mildly disappointed that Imogen was not more confident. Typical of her sex after all. He'd hoped she would have the will to fight for her ideals, to be a force to be reckoned with. More like his Lisa: a tigress with bottomless reserves of self confidence. He has a flash of self realization then: Lisa really has changed him! Imogen used to be exactly the kind of girl he'd go after back in college. Get them talking, flatter their principles, turn on the charm. Hell, he'd even fallen into his old patterns of flirting. But without a fire in her belly, she just sort of... faded into the background. It was a weird feeling, observing his own thoughts. Enough of that!

He returned his full attention to the social situation. Things were shifting, and a new arrival was making quasi-dad joke innuendo from his offer to back Imogen's play with Swan. He turned his head, eyes sweeping the man up and down.
No facial match. Janitor's garb. 108 badge. 2040 budget had no new hires for janitorial staff. ...the hell? Why was there no file on this guy? Either they're classifying janitorial personel files now or... ah. Former agent. Should have seen it right away. Stance, build, easygoing affect, but clearly ready for violence if called for.

What's an elite agent doing posing as a janitor?! Best not to let on. Tony favored the man with a half smile, considered and rejected half a dozen retorts, glanced at Imogen, and broke into a full grin. She was as weak kneed as a teenager at her first boy band concert with a backstage all access pass! Awwwww, and still too shy to do anything about it! Well. Maybe a little wingman magic would get her to a place where she would talk to Swan about needed changes; she just needed an agent behind her instead of an advocate beside her.

But how to best stack the deck in her favor?
Best guess: lost opportunity pressure and alpha-beta bonding. Let him think he's top dog. Let him see you know he is 'the better man' and capitulate affably. Then find somewhere else to be. Whoops! And somewhere else for this random old lady to be... parent, huh? Hmm. Pointy chin, green eyes, sandy brown hair, got to Morgan Brahn's mom. Should be easy enough to re-direct...

The grin vanished in an instant as Tony stuck out his hand to Imogen. “Well Ms. Jarsdel, it has certainly been a pleasure talking, but I should probably help Mrs. Brahn here find her wayward sons. I am pretty sure I saw Morgan and Jordan both down in this direction... Anthony Costanzo, by the way.”

To the agent, he tossed an almost subliminal wink and an off hand salute. “To you sir, I submit willingly. Your wit I cannot match, though I will undoubtedly think of something perfectly apropos after I am long out of earshot. 'L'espirt de l'escalier' as it were. Milady Brahn... will you accompany me into the crowds, poor company though I am?”

Now, he thought, if I've laid it on just thick enough, Imogen will get just what she needs... and if I've laid it on a bit too thick, I'll get a beating six ways from Sunday first, but she'll still get the agent in the end.

Last edited:
Jason_Swan.png

Mood: Moody
Company: Red > ----
@'s: Zahzi Zahzi
Other:
Director Swan Jason coughed as Hunter spoke about putting the plan into action, a homecoming of rapture operatives was far from what he had in mind, most of them were deranged criminals, or exceedingly dangerous individuals with low morals... Much like Hunter. The difference was that Hunter's actions were, while extreme, necessary... or at least understandable. Rapture as a whole however never did hold a candle to their leader.

"Hunter no, no! I do not want a revival of rapture, and don't you dare try to contact any of your former underlings. That is not on the cards. Shit you're dangerous but I know what that gas did to people... I don't need to deal with that shitstorm as well okay..." He spluttered through mouthfuls of smoke as Hunter finished speaking.

"Good people with solid heads on their shoulders, people who will do the right thing, not demolition machines given human form, I remember the mess that lot caused, it makes these students look like angels!" Jason added with a sigh while flicking the butt of his smoke into the water below.

The noise of the exam was picking up more by the minute. Jason's attention fount itself drawn towards the hubris more and more, he couldn't excuse his presence for much longer without it seeming suspicious. Glancing down the docks towards the inflatable course bobbing on the waters surface, Swan scowled, running his hand through his greying hair.

"I should head back before another incident occurs... These students will be the death of me, I'm sure of it. Shit." he grumbled loudly before switching his limiter back on and nodding his head towards the exam.

"Keep me posted." he muttered before turning back towards the main facility.

-----​

A short walk later Swan found himself joining a small crowd of facility staff, parents, volunteers, and observers. Each had their reasons for attending, some were markers doing their job, others were shouting words of advice and support to their students or kids taking part, and some were keeping the exam flowing.

So far everything seemed to be going smoothly, which was a first. The students were setting off, 108 staff members were primed to go, it didn't seem like there was much for him to immediately do.

"Good..." Jason mumbled to himself as the Volunteers got ready for their roles. If he was being honest with himself, doing as little as possible on his end was not a bad thing in his eyes. Though it was unlikely to last.

Jeremiah Johnson
Mood: Still tired, but getting more awake​
Jeremiah leaned on one of his hands, only this position felt really awkward as it made him have to look even further up to maintain eye contact. He listened as the man(Anthony) talked about... something. Honestly Jeremiah was finding it hard to concentrate on what he was saying. Not that what he was saying was uninteresting, it was mainly just that he felt a bit light headed at the prospect of being tested, as if it had just sank in that he was going to take a test. He did however catch the end of what the man said, Luck has nothing to do with it? That doesn't spell out good for me then.

Shortly after the man had finished talking he began to hear his name being called. Which was a bit surprising considering that Jeremiah had hardly interacted much with other people while here so he wasn't sure why somebody would care about him, Oh wait, this is probably for the test or something. I suppose I might as well tell them I'm over here. Well, I don't really want to shout though. Seems like I'm going to have to get their attention some-"Yo! Lara Hart!" Interrupting his train of thought was the same man he had just talked to, "Huh, well that was helpful." Jeremiah realized halfway through speaking that he was actually speaking. Jeremiah hoped that he didn't hear that, but considering they were standing right next to each other this hope was not likely to come true.

Jeremiah stood up and waved over at Lara. Probably for longer than he needed to. What did eventually stop him was a familiar voice. Juliana! Jeremiah was pretty sure that was her name. Fairly sure. At least 80% sure. Jeremiah smiled, "Well, Hi back to you! I'm doing fine, better than a few months ago. How are you doing? Oh! Since you mention it I'm pretty sure that guy over there called to you," Jeremiah motioned toward Anthony, "I think that you're a part of the exam! So no make up today. Well, I suppose that doesn't mean no make up, but I'm not sure make up is for me! Well, I guess I've never tried... I'll save that for another day though!"
Gus Gus Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun Lioness075 Lioness075

Last edited:
Morgan Brahn
Koutarou._Artist_.full.890455.jpg

Overview
LocationI lost track. Courtyard, maybe?
CompanyJordan, and anyone who mught be listening.
MoodStill terrified.
ActionsPlanning his death and expulsion.
Tags Zahzi Zahzi
“Ohgodwai—”

Morgan landed on the grass, hard, wheezing. As his little brother screeched at him, he gradually collected himself, up until the point Jordan grabbed him.

“… Trip me again.” It wasn’t a threat, though. It was a genuine plea.

“Jordan, I need you to literally beat the shit out of me. You can’t physically survive the course, and I’ll be exempt if I’m injured. I won’t have to go out there and risk getting lost in the crowd, and Mom will be so mad, she won’t even notice Mr. Ward. Th-think about it!”

In Morgan’s panic, the idea began to snowball.

“What if – what if I pick a fight with Chris? I won’t win, but that’s not the point. I – I can use my powers to start a riot! The whole course could be called off! Then neither of us will have to go through with it!”

Dr. Jules Lacy Brahn
jules-2040-small.png

Overview
LocationWith Imogen, Ernest, and Anthony
Tags Syrenrei Syrenrei D. Rex D. Rex Gus Gus Giyari Giyari
Mrs. Brahn blinked in surprise, and turned the slightest shade of pink as one of the men called her “Milady”. It reminded her of the time her husband dragged her to a Renaissance fair, and – well, there’s something to be said for reenacting the Dragonslayer in bed.

But that was neither here nor there.

“Thank you, Mr. Constanzo. However…” Her eyes narrowed as she tilted her head, staring down at him despite the fact that she was plainly the shortest of the current conversational group. Had she been inside and wearing her glasses, it would have been a perfect implementation of the Soulless Shiny Glasses Stare for Misbehaving Test Subjects. Like her husband.

But that was neither here nor there.

“I do not recall giving you my name, and I do not make a policy of following strange men who know my name before I know theirs. It’s uncomfortable.”

She took a step back from the group, her arms crossed.

“You may call me Dr. Lacy. I’ll be on my way now, I’m sorry to intrude. I believe I may have seen Mr. Swan pass by, and I have some words for him regarding the quality of education here.”

MEANWHILE:

Location: Director Chernov's office, Commonwealth HQ, Washington D.C.

“I’m telling you, the Knights are definitely planning something! It’s the regional exams for Aegis, and they basically have a hate-boner – What? I’m sorry, sir, you must have misheard, I definitely said that they have a vendetta against Facility 108 after the Owens Mill attack.”

Director Chernov flinched and held the phone away from her ear. The exact verbage was lost on her, but it was not the affirmative answer she was looking for.

“… I understand your concerns. No, I’m not – I’m not!! I promise! That was a fluke!”

She sighed, and pinched the bridge of her nose.

“Yes, Mr. President. Of course. No, I cannot recall my primary team. They’re too far into their investigation, we’re bound to have something on the disappearances by autumn. We’re fairly certain that – well if you think you can do better, you can come out here and start digging your own dirt!”

More angrish. Director Chernov stared blankly at the ceiling. She could almost hear Congress ripping up her budget for the year.

“… Do not ever compare me to the previous director again, Mr. President. There are no more soldiers left from that operation. They are all dead. I oversaw the executions.”

Whatever the darling leader of the nation had to say to her, she didn’t care – she hung up on him mid-sentence, fuming.

“It’s not supposed to be so damn difficult to get a little extra security! And then he goes and, and just – UGH!! Errol this, and Errol that! Errol knew how to balance a checkbook! Well the only reason our beloved King died with a clean record is because SOMEONE destroyed all the evidence before we could get a conviction!! FUCK!!”

Agent Harry’s replacement, a burly and wolfish man with an ungodly amount of body hair, casually put in a pair of earplugs and waited out his boss’s rage.

Aaron Mallory
miniAaron.png
Mood: Annoyed --> Amused
Location: Not far from the motorboat docks, closing in circuitously

Nearby: At first most of team Gator and half of team Snowglobe, then the Brahn boys.
Interactions: Jordan and Morgan Brahn
@s: welian welian Zahzi Zahzi B Bag o Fruit ManicMuse ManicMuse Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun Lioness075 Lioness075

Aaron pretended to listen to what Kendrick was saying as he lumbered down toward the lower docks. Inwardly he was rapidly considering and discarding options for how to deal with the little bigot from 107 yapping at his heels. There was no good option but to ignore him. He shouldn't have yielded to the temptation to break the unwritten rules of engagement between teachers and students, however good it had felt to tell the kid off. The kid's sense of entitlement had been challenged, and he was clearly rattled by that, ranting about his first amendment rights. In another time and place, he'd have been happy to debate the issue, but he doubted such a mental midget was capable of understanding that his constitutional right was to say things without government enforced interference. What he wanted was what his ilk always wanted: the ability to say anything at all without fear of social consequences of any kind. Sooner or later the world would slap that out of him, but for now disengagement was the proper course. As he walked away, he overheard Chris Kravitz making team introductions, gamely refusing to rise to any of the proffered bait. God bless Chris, he thought, a better man than I am already.

Edging away through the crowds, narrowly avoiding several collisions, he stopped just shy of treading on a sprawling Morgan Brahn, tripped up by his little brother. Narrowly suppressing the urge to roll his eyes at the younger boy's overwrought ranting, he waved Kendrick and Sam around the family altercation, pointing toward the boats waiting at the dock some distance away. Folding his arms across his chest, Aaron listened with interest to the elder Brahn's half-assed scheme to get out of taking the exam. He winked at Jordan, stifling a laugh by biting a knuckle as Morgan's plotting reached a fever pitch. With studied placidity he commented:

You know Mr. Brahn, the trouble with wearing all those limiters is you have to discuss your plans out loud instead of in your head. When you talk out loud, son... people can hear you. There's a boat over there with your names on it boys... I'll just hang about until you've boarded, shall I?”

Anthony Costanzo
Tony Costanzo.jpg
Nearby: A pair of fledgling lovebirds, and the legendary Dr. Lacy!!!
Mood: Overawed, but hiding it masterfully
@s: welian welian Syrenrei Syrenrei D. Rex D. Rex

Mrs. Brahn is 'Dr. Lacy'?! Holy shit! There were rumors but... Holy shit! Careful not to let his racing thoughts disturb his mask, Tony puts on his most affable 'aw shucks' grin.

Doctor Lacy, of course! I should have known; you seem the type. My apologies doctor. As for the proper precedence of introductions, pedantry compels me to point out that technically you did know my name before I knew yours; I was only making an educated guess based on heritable traits and a detailed knowledge of student genetic profiles. As for 'strange' I will certainly cop to that, though I assure you, I am a harmless commonwealth scientist. I can show you ID if you like. As for the idea that you could intrude, anywhere, perish the thought, doctor! I was just leaving myself to avoid rounding out the proverbial 'crowd' if you take my meaning.”

He gave the barest tilt of his head toward the agent and the safety inspector. Arching an eyebrow and easing his grin up gently from 'affable' to 'warm', he continued.

“I would be delighted to accompany you if you would enjoy the conversation of a mere junior theoretician... If however, you remain uncomfortable with my presence, I will, with all speed, hie myself elsewhere to practice my manners for future encounters.” He took a few steps toward the crowd, then stopped to offer his elbow with a playful smile.

RobinWeigert_02_Supersize.jpg
Anneliese Van Can "See you around, then." Anneliese spoke softly as the students rushed off, then called "Buona fortuna, signorina Pellegrini!" as an afterthought. She watched as they ran into the crowd, which was growing and getting nearer to the facility than she would have liked. She knew she should probably have gone back inside but for some reason the mass of people drew her attention, at first as an absentminded act and then as a kind of compulsion.
She looked into the crowd, and saw the complex dance of one person off another, some attracting, some repelling, some repelling into others. Nearest her, a man she didn't recognize chatted with Ernest and Imogen and... is that Julietta Brahn? Must be. She's worried... not worried. Not quite. She's standoffish towards... the mystery man. And who is he?
Anneliese watched him for a moment. He thought he was extremely clever. Better. Above. He's eyeing Imogen and Ernest... and Imogen is eyeing Ernest, or trying not to. He is pretty observant, for an amateur. Maybe he is as clever as he believes. Julietta certainly doesn't believe he is. Or maybe he's too clever for her tastes. Too clever, that's it. Too showy, perhaps. But then, shouldn't he be showy, as clever as he is? She should loosen up. How is Imogen taking to this stranger's help? She seems shy, poor little woman...
Anneliese shook her head. The fuck did she just think? "No, no no no." she had to look away from the crowd, she had to go inside... and yet...
Imogen, so very shy... not of the newcomer, of Ernest. Oh my god, he is cute. So rugged... experienced... she shivered. "Turn around. Turn. Around." she did not turn around. She managed to avert her gaze, but onto yet a new group. Aaron. He's calm. Relaxed. If I just look at him... Talking to Morgan. Morgan... he's trying to get out of the test. He'll be exempt if he's injured... pick a fight with Chris. They won't have to go through with it! "AGGHH!"
Anneliese collapsed down into a fetal position on the concrete steps, sweater sleeves pressed over her ears. She had to be herself. No one else. She couldn't be this many people at once.

Kate Barrett
JanusLives.png
Mood: Midway between flirty and fondness
Interactions: Richard Chase
Nearby: Lots of folks. Piper maybe still close?

ManicMuse ManicMuse Lioness075 Lioness075

Richard Chase seemed not to have heard her offer to share a boat to observe the first obstacle. He is quick, for an unpowered human, and seems to thread through the crowd like a ghost, powered by dad-worry. For a moment she is torn. He is terribly cute, and following him will make the day more interesting for sure. On the other hand, professional detachment will suffer if she gives in to the temptation...

Aw, Katie, g'wan. Treat yourself right!

I agree. He's looks delish. Get him alone... we're hungry!

Shhh, fool! She might hear you!

Bah, not in the daytime. Not consciously. She dense as a post in the sunlight.

Sometimes, I wonder...

Never mind that! Imagine if he spends the night! I wonder what his liver tastes like.

She hesitates, almost a moment too long, but then a gap in the churning crowd opens up, and she bolts through it.
“Richard! Richard Chase! Stop, you silly man. Your daughter is over there, safe and sound.” She slips up beside him, gently takes hold of his chin...

...yes! Be gentle... for the moment! Violence is for later.

...and delicately but firmly swivels his face toward the first obstacle. “See her? There: at the top of the steps by the first obstacle.
Now. Would you like to share a boat out there to observe more closely with me or not?”

Piper.jpg
Name: Piper Farrar Rank: E
Attire: White tank top with analog camera on the front, short jean shorts with some tears, white socks and black converse sneakers Location: Facility 108 Final Exam Area --> First Obstacle
Tagged: ManicMuse ManicMuse (Richard), Gus Gus (Kate), Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun (Kendrick), @Myself (Sam), Gus Gus (Aaron), Gus Gus (Manami)
Watching Ms. Barrett interact with Mr. Chase quite frankly made Piper want to vomit. Not that Ms. Barrett was that much older than Piper (she was in her 20s, right?), still Piper felt uncomfortable being sidelined in this situation. Not only that, but surely Mr. Chase had a wife? Then again, Piper didn't know either person well enough to know their marital status anyways. It seemed as if the two may know each other already, too.

Sighing, Piper decided it was time to move on from the potential couple she didn't want to be near. Plus, she wasn't going to get too many good shots with the growing crowd in front of her. Now that students were starting the obstacle course, she was already behind on her informal job.

Walking past the two, Piper said, "Hey, I'll see you two later, okay? I need to get some better shots and I won't get them back here."

Once she approached the start to the obstacle course, Piper moved off to the side and near the edge to the water, mindfully avoiding the growing cluster of super students.

Just as she raised her camera and snapped some shots of Manami excitedly being launched, Piper overheard someone complaining nearby and instantly recognized the voice. It was no other than Kendrick himself, the polar opposite rich kid compared to Piper. There was nothing more irritating to Piper than someone with plenty of wealth who complained about such minuscule problems. Not that she was aware of Kendrick's inability to swim.

Snapping a few more shots, Piper then let her camera dangle around her neck once more before she glanced in Kendrick's direction. Mr. Mallory was with the couple students there and he seemed to be feeling the same way Piper was, though he wasn't hiding it too well. Piper shook her head before raising an eyebrow at Kendrick. She even went so far as to put her hands on her hips.

"Kendrick, it is possible to go through an entire day without a single complaint. It may sound impossible to you, but I'm telling you that it is quite possible."

Sam.png
Name: Samantha 'Sam' Casan Rank: B
Attire: Black tank top, torn jean shorts, barefoot Location: Final Exam Event Area --> First Obstacle
Tagged: @Necessity4Fun (Kendrick), Gus Gus (Manami), Gus Gus (Aaron), @Myself (Piper)
Before Kendrick could even react to everything Sam said, Manami mentioned a boat and then made a mad dash for the launcher. Problem solved. Sam grinned at this, inwardly relieved that Manami had been so keen to handle the first obstacle for the team. She was blissfully unaware that anyone had caught on to her inability to swim.

Rolling her eyes at Kendrick's overly-relieved response towards the boat option, Sam absentmindedly flickered her tail about behind herself. Things were starting to get a bit boring now, as she wasn't too keen about being stuck in a boat with Kendrick for most of the day. She could only handle his complaints so much, though he'd been oddly...nice this morning. If she could even say that much about him. IT had been weird and Sam still wasn't really sure how she felt about all of it.

Shaking off the weird vibes, Sam refocused just in time to see Mr. Mallory joining them. He did make a good point when he mentioned how odd it was that nobody seemed to notice him. Sam blamed her sharp focus on Kendrick a minute or so ago and then her lack of focus just now. It was hard to focus on multiple people at once.

Speaking of, Piper suddenly appeared out of no where and made her debut by basically complaining to Kendrick about complaining. Oh, the irony. Sam wasn't overly fond of Piper and her goody-two-shoes personality, so she didn't want to stick around for too long.

Seeing as Kendrick was definitely going to get on a boat now, after complaining yet again about whatever, Sam decided to make the moment a bit more entertaining. Shouting, "Race you there!", she then abruptly maneuvered her tail right behind Kendrick's feet before leaning forward and launching herself into her superspeed. She became a blur, as she sprinted towards the boats beyond.

Skidding to a halt near the boats, Sam left a very noticeable skid mark in the dirt. Panting a bit, she had a grin stuck on her face, the joy of superspeed ever so obvious to anyone around her. She also hoped that she'd successfully tripped Kendrick in the process. She could already picture his appalled expression once his nice clothes touched the grass beneath him.

Lara.png
Name: Lara Hart Rank: D
Attire: Blue sweatshirt with Nemo on the front, tan capris, white sneakers Location: Facility 108 Final Exam Area
Tagged: Gus Gus (Anthony), Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun (Juliana), Malikai Malikai (JJ)
Lara glanced down when someone shouted her name, albeit they weren't JJ, sadly (she totally forgot the nickname he preferred to go by, whoops). Grinning, Lara flew down towards the small group and quickly folded her wings against her body, dropping the last couple feet to land on her heels while bending her knees to suppress the impact. She'd practiced her landings a ton lately and was getting better at not crash landing every time.

Scoffing at the idea of trying to fly someone to the start of the course, Lara joking replied, "If you want to watch both of us eat grass and dirt, then sure, I can fly him over there!"

Shrugging at the question of where some people were, Lara said, "Honestly, I had enough trouble trying to find JJ here. You might want to start physically searching for your missing members like I just did."

It seemed Anthony wouldn't have to look long for Juliana, when she suddenly appeared and was speaking rapidly as usual. Shaking her head at the speed of which Juliana could speak, Lara had to wonder how much sleep the girl needed. She had to be using up a ton of energy just speaking like that!

Glancing back in the direction of her own teammates, Lara was itching to return just to continue speaking with Cecilia's parents. They were so kind! Plus, she was fairly confident she'd missed whatever they were saying last. Whoops.

Looking at JJ now, Lara had to suppress laughter just because of how long he waved at her. It was a friendly gesture, at least. Anyways, they had no time left to waste! Lara grinned and said, "Come on, JJ!", as she grabbed his wrist and began practically dragging him with her towards their teammates.

Scarlet.jpg
Name: Scarlet Calloway Rank: A
Attire: Small square black plastic glasses, grey sweater with an anime-style cat on front, cropped light blue jeans, grey Converse sneakers Location: Launcher, Beginning of Final Exam Course
Tagged: AllHailDago AllHailDago (Melody)
Scarlet was very curious as to why Melody took such a chance to break into someone else's locker, but knew better than to ask since this was a touchy-enough subject. Best to not upset a new student on their first exam day. It'd be stressful enough in of itself. Still, it was quite the story for her first shift. While tempted to share her own first shift story, Scarlet realized hers was much more gory considering her first attack had been successful to the end...

Clearing her head of such memories, Scarlet smiled at Melody and said, "The first shift is always the craziest, that's for sure. It gets easier the more you do it. If you try to avoid shifting all the time, it just gets that much harder to learn control. You can't let the animal instincts control you every time"

While Melody seemed disheartened by her powers and clearly saw them as something that had ruined her normal life, Scarlet merely gave her a soft smile. "Oh, trust me, you wouldn't want to keep going to a normal school as a super anyways. We're too different from the average human and you'd just be suppressing your true self the entire time. The more you suppress shifting powers, the worse each shift is when it happens. Plus, you need to learn how to better control your emotions, not just the shifts. I'm not sure how it works for you since it's different for everyone, but I tend to unwillingly shift the angrier I get. Thus, I drink tea everyday and do my best to stay calm at all times."

Realizing that she was basically lecturing the poor kid, Scarlet lightly laughed and then added, "Anyways, enough of that! Let's move to the beginning of this water obstacle course and try to find your team, yeah?"

As she began to lead the way, Scarlet did her best to explain the exam, "As I just described it, the exam is supposed to be a water obstacle course. Inflatable stuff to typically play on, but instead you have to traverse it all with your teammates. Actually, I think you're supposed to go one at a time. But yeah, this is supposed to focus more on how well you can work with others and navigate this course with the varying powers that will be in your team. If I recall correctly, the teams were chosen at random to ensure that everyone had an equally challenging time working with one another in terms of powers."

In another minute or two of weaving through the crowds, the pair would be at the beginning of the course, which would be the launcher.

Manami and Miia
stingray.png Miia.jpg
Nearby: Gavin, Isabelle, Chris, Albert... and Bruce?
@s: B Bag o Fruit ManicMuse ManicMuse

Manami gathered herself and hurried back up the stairs to join the other girls. For a moment she surveyed the obstacle, considering how to get past. The hydraulically powered ‘stomper’ columns were popping up and down, intermittently hiding the view of the ‘crowd’ bumpers beyond. It was hard to gauge the strength of them, but after her two refreshing swims, she was pretty sure she could stop them if she needed to. Unsure of the girl from 107, she turned to her friend Izzy and said simply “Over, or under? I think I can hold a stomper up for you to slip under… but maybe over is better? I do not know. You maybe make better plan. I… am very strong, but maybe not so smart.” She turned, hesitantly, toward the other girl. “You… fly? Maybe you should go over?” A thought occurs to her and she looks to the purple haired boy, Gavin, who seemed to be in charge here. “Are we allowed to go over? What are rules?”

Miia scoffs. “Fish-girl, the pussy is not on our team; why would you help her get through the obstacle? Let her wait for the rest of her teammates! We are going to crush this test. Your brawn and my brains? Forget it! We don’t even need rich-boy or the blue fuzz girl! Let’s go on, you and me, leave them playing catch up the rest of the day, how about it?”

Manami frowned, crestfallen. Weren’t they all on the same team, ultimately? Butterfly girl seemed to think this was a competition. She furrowed her brow trying to remember what Sensei Luther had said about how they would be graded. Individual merits were definitely part of it, and team time records… but wasn’t cooperation graded too? Unable to think of a way to politely rebuff the other girl, she looked away. Barely a hundred feet away, standing on the prow of the Momotaro were mother and father waving furiously and snapping pictures. Manami gave a half-hearted wave back, then looked down, scales ruffling furiously as pride warred with embarrassment for control of her features. A few months ago, she thought, she’d have been jumping up and down and shouting ‘Haro!’ to them for all she was worth. Now, however she felt more keenly the regard of her peers, and to respond in kind to her parents like that would be mortifying. At the same time, Kyo and Makoto had given her so much; it felt wretched to have to act so diffident. She waved again, a little more vigorously, then turned away.

At the foot of the stairs Albert and Chris were just swimming up to the rim of the obstacle, very nearly completing Team Green Gator. Albert was struggling along with an awkward doggie paddle, buoyed up by multiple life jackets, while Chris cut the water with easy, powerful strokes, almost as if he were as born to the water as she was. She grinned broadly and half trotted, half slid back down the stairs to greet them.

“Hello Chris! You are very talented swimmer for someone without gills! Hey Albert! Let me help you up” She braced her feet against the ridged seam at the edge of the float and took hold of one giant green hand, heaving him up onto the landing like fifty bushels of broccoli. The float rocked violently with the sudden addition of weight, but remained upright.

Meanwhile at the top of the stairs Miia rolled her eyes in frustration. Glancing from Manami to Isabelle in barely disguised disgust, she simply said, “Man 108 is a bunch of losers. I’m not letting you hold me up anymore.” With that, she threw herself down the stairs towards the stomper posts, head-first.

iiNPC Card:
article-0-1F62DF0700000578-305_306x582.jpg

--Name--

Richard Chase

--Role--

Izzy's Dad / Volunteer

'She could be under water drowning.'

'What if someone knocked her off the obstacle course?'

'Where is her team! They are suppose to be doing this together!'

Every horrid thought he could imagine, ripping through his mind, while weaving his way through the crowd. Given people's recent behavior towards supers in general, his fears for his daughter had only gotten grander lately. Frustrated by the situation, he slapped a hand to his forehead trying to think of what to do. When suddenly, he felt a delicate hand slip up under his chin, while Kate's voice rang in his ears. It was enough to cause the hairs on the back of his neck to stand on end. Shifting his gaze toward the direction it was guided, Richard sighed with relief, watching Izzy with other students by the first obstacle.

“See her? There: at the top of the steps by the first obstacle. Now. Would you like to share a boat out there to observe more closely with me or not?”

"Ah yes, there she is."

Sheepishly, Richard turned to look at Kate. His mustache twitched, a sign his nerves were getting the best of him. Suddenly the collar of his volunteer t-shirt seemed a bit tight. Mustering a smile, exposing a hint of the red snow cone he just ate, Richard gave a nod.

"Yes, I like the sound of that. Do me the honor of escorting me to the boats Ms. Barrett?"

Offering up the crook of his arm, attempting to keep himself calm and composed. Despite the fact that the hair on the back of his neck continued to dance. Once a gap in the crowd opened up, he headed toward the docked boats.

Page Morgan
State of being: Flustered

Nearby: Dano Dano Trent Syrenrei Syrenrei Luther

1aCsvvK.jpg

Page had been so crossed and confused, not to mention embarrassed, about what had just transpired in the spa that she was quite beside herself. While her plans had been to carpool in, that had changed once she hit the street. Whipping out her phone, she ordered up a cab and was waiting for it as Luther came out a few minutes later.

Passing back and forth on the sidewalk, Page worked to piece together just how she had lost her cool in there. However, once seeing Luther, she was quick to turn her mental venting into an external rant.

"That man. If I ever see him again. I'll ... I'll gut him. Or torch him. You certainly did not have to encourage that pompous jerk either!"

By this point, she turned to face Luther with both hands on her hips, as she gave her a cross glare. Somehow the attempt at looking fierce and annoyed was greatly diminished by the powder pink yoga outfit. Then remembering her own destructive behavior, Page's expression shifted back to that of a sheepish child who had just been caught red handed. Nervously, she turned back toward the street and checked her phone, silently cursing the cab services for not moving faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back