• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Edge of a Circle - OOC Chat/Question Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

ArcaneDreamer

The Absent-Minded Daydreamer
The title pretty much sums everything up!
This is the place to just talk about stuff, and ask any burning questions you may have about the magical world of Aphola!

A few major rules though:
  1. Follow the usual guidelines that govern RPNation.
  2. Please don't talk about certain IRL events here. Things are rather... stressful, to put it mildly, and I'd rather not have to think about it while on RPN.
  3. Be kind/civil to each other. Disagreements can happen, but if a really ugly argument breaks out in this thread, I can and will find a way to put the ones responsible in the metaphorical timeout corner. No one likes the metaphorical timeout corner.
Aaand that's it for the rules! I might have to update them in the future, but I believe that these will suffice for the time being~

Honestly, I personally prefer drawn photo references.
Using IRL photos makes it hard for me to be immersed in a fictional world, if that makes sense?

I get it, no problem! It works well for me, because I have a drawn commission of my character, albeit he's in modern clothing, if that's alright.

I'm not sure which magic class to identify Precognition under. Would it count as Practical or an Enchantment?

Precognition would be classified under Practical magic, mostly due to the fact that Enchantment is magic that is used to enhance/strengthen others.
By the way, keep in mind that this would be a very uncommon affinity for someone to have!

I'm curious about water/wood sprites? Are they be human-like, or like little wisp, are they benign or hostile to the locals and can they be communicated with? Would different types be more aggressive or rarer?

Sprites are floating balls of barely sentient elemental energy. They're not exactly hostile, but they can be pretty territorial - which is usually expressed by 'headbutting' intruders. How effective this is depends on the element of the Sprite (I.E. A Water Sprite feels like getting splashed, while a Wood Sprite feels like being punched by a small tree).
In terms of communication, the only ones that can hold any sort of 'conversation' (AKA projecting emotions) with a Sprite are people who have the corresponding Elemental Affinity.
Finally, Sprites of any kind are extremely common. It's just that the rarity of certain Sprites varies based on locations within Aphola. For example, if you're in a region that's pretty much nothing but snow and ice, it's going to be very hard to find a Fire Sprite milling around.

As a side note on the last part of James's sheet:
"Don't compare him to his father or insinuate that he relies on him in any way."

You absolutely can if your character would. Just a warning that in-character he will lash out and react negatively. But, by all means, if they'd treat him like a spoiled brat, let them. They don't know his life.

I'd say after he left home he likely would have looked for other individuals like himself who had divine attunements. If possible, he'd have purposefully tried to find the other members and maybe even bring them together.

Ahh, okay!
I was just wondering~
Though, remember, the characters didn't know that they're somewhat connected to divinity before discovering the whole cycle.

It's a recent development.
Basically, it goes like this:
  1. Group discovers weird journal
  2. First event in journal happens
  3. Everyone goes home while trying to fully digest the truth they just discovered
  4. Night falls, people are sleeping, and the gods go and message their Champions via dreams ("Congrats, you're my chosen hero, etc etc")
  5. Everyone wakes up and realizes "Huh. I have new powers now. Neat."

Announcements
Based on the interest in this RP, and how many people have posted their character sheets, I have only a couple of things to say.
  1. The RP will officially start on January 13, 2021 (EST). Once that thread starts, there will be a small grace period of 24 hours before I close character submissions.
  2. Between now and the designated start time, I'm going to be working on filling in the Lore Thread! If you have any requests for particular locations, monsters, or any other piece of lore about Aphola, send me a message!
That's all for now. I look forward to diving into this world alongside you all!

My character should be done by then! They're basically done, have two sheets done that I'm debating between as I keep getting stuck on what abilities/gods I want to use. Really love the lok of everything thus far! Lore thread is interesting

Ace Cream Ace Cream
It's an odd mix of medieval and modern. While certain innovations like plumbing, air conditioning, and refrigeration exists, this is only due to creative applications of magic.
On the other hand, things like phones, automatic rifles, and modern modes of transportation (AKA cars and planes) do not exist. (Though, there are rumors that a city that's far away from the the characters' hometown is experimenting with a transportation system involving tracks and large metal boxes.)

Ace Cream Ace Cream
It's an odd mix of medieval and modern. While certain innovations like plumbing, air conditioning, and refrigeration exists, this is only due to creative applications of magic.
On the other hand, things like phones, automatic rifles, and modern modes of transportation (AKA cars and planes) do not exist. (Though, there are rumors that a city that's far away from the the characters' hometown is experimenting with a transportation system involving tracks and large metal boxes.)
Okok, so I guess it's something like Runeterra or Fairy Tail's world. So things like gun, robotautomaton and magitech suit does exist, right?

Sort of.
Guns are rudimentary at best (AKA flintlock level), nobody has heard of automation**, and magitech suits are generally suits of armor that is absolutely covered with Runes, and made out of a certain type of magic-infused metal.

** Well. Not until certain events happen/Certain ruins get uncovered, at least...

Also, who is the god with the most followers? The one who most people pray to.

Edit.
Another question, how about things like lightning or steel. Is it considered a derivation of another element or it's not considered elemental?

Last edited:
Well, in general, when people go to offer up prayers, they tend to just give a blanket prayer to all of the gods - this is to avoid making certain gods feel like they're not being appreciated.
In terms of specific prayers... for some reason, the Dark Goddess is the one who receives the most calls. Though, in all fairness, these prayers tend to consist of things like 'please don't let it get too dark' or 'hide me in shadows so my ex doesn't see me'.
She's... less than amused about the fact that these are the prayers she gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back