• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dreams of the Second Age

"Fist Tyrant Scorching Radiant Horizons, Full Moon Caste of Luna. I thank you for your hospitality, Murdock. Of my teacher, his name is best forgotten as it does the world no good to dredge up memories of surly old ghosts."

Settling into the cave, he alternates between eating the fruit and nursing a jug of wine. The first meal after so long helped to calm his nerves, or rather from his own perspective maybe it was the first in four hours? Regardless of which it was pleasant and made up for what Murdock's story lacked. Namely, any sort of good news. As the others go around he quietly observes the proceedings and does his best to not wince when Murdock mentions the word stasis. For a night caste, subtlety was seemingly not his strong suit in the social arena. Which was fine as he had little of it himself, but he at least knew enough to keep quiet about that matter. The man had taken them in out of obligation, and they had done nothing to endear him to keeping their secrets.

"As to what we wish, is for the desire of safety as do you. Should the city prove viable I have no qualms to stay and build here. Yet from the elder's tale it seems quite far from it. If you would humor me, I wish to clarify some concerning points in your explanation."

Grabbing an empty plate he sets out six whole fruits and one picked to the core, arranging them around an empty plate. Setting up the diagram in a familiar manner to plan out a war that may not come to be. Moving a finger to settle on each fruit he illustrates the point in a seemingly lazy manner.

"Firstly there is the ancient ghost, a death lord?" Letting the term roll off his tongue he experimented with the sound. "Whom has laid claim in a shadow land that did not exist the last time I had looked at this place. Carefully looking for something as do the fae, and by your estimates strong enough to pose a threat to a mad yet powerful solar. Whom may have other exalts upon retainer...the knights you mentioned I believe? A standing army of the dead, and who watches for every development in the city. How did this shadow land come to be and where by did she lay claim to it?

Filial Wisdom, a mad cannibal solar of power who controls the city. I cannot see to what end he builds this army, perhaps you may know? Of his army itself, it may be prudent to thin the herd if his raid should move without his leadership. Yet, he provides a crucial balance that keeps the Death Lord at bay. To defeat one would incite the other, and they show no efforts to quell the other. Have you ever met or spoken with this man?

Of the fae, they have no purpose beyond this artifact and never leave their fortress unless they are hunting beneath the city. Perhaps they have a force able to deter Filial's assault? Looking at where to strike, the towers may be the weakest target to gain a foothold from the most cursory of glances. Of the stalkers, the handful that can speak would be good allies...provided we can return the rest to enlightenment. After scouting it should be our first target for consideration.

What troubles me, are the last forces at play. Chaing-Dav, they have enough of the Realm's presence to hold it I would imagine. Yet fortunately not enough to challenge any of the current powers. Should a third major force emerge, they would prove an asset or curse to tipping the scales. What can you tell me of this city, and of it's garrison? They should be our first issue to address, one way or another.

Of the lunar elders you have spoken of, I feel sorrow to hear of their plight even as I feel caution. How far are they from Rathess that we should take special care to be on guard against them?”

Pausing from his speech, Tyrant takes a long pull from the wine jug before setting it empty on the table. Parching his throat while thinking how to couch his words, he continues eying Murdock's tattoos.

“Of my education, I am ashamed to say it remains incomplete. My teacher took delight in beating how to fight and survive into me with little care for anything else. Mor'du has spoken briefly of your tattoos and how they were needed to avoid mutation. What else can you tell us of them? I have been out of touch with Luna's chosen for a long time. Too long it would seem, much to my chagrin.”

Shining had naturally taken seat next to her husband, plate in hand and silently eating. She knew matters of war, studied it not only out of necessity but to quench an ever insatiable thirst. Hours spent reading tomes and books on tactical formations, troop deployments, securing holds; all of it was allowing gifting her a good idea of just how lost this locale was.

She leaned into Tyrant, shoulder to shoulder and let the Lunar continue to ask questions. Half the battle was gathering information. All knowledge was useful for one reason or another. The exalted queen would learn more before she made a decision on how to handle the matter.

(shortie post, ho)

"I think Leeayta is a good lead, but I don't really have a great rapport with gods to pursue this one. Pyter, pardon if I'm assuming too much, but Starchildren are often adept at prayer, would you know a good way to contact her?"

Zanto Darro had been quiet this entire time. He'd generally left the talking to Rine when it wasn't involving battle, conquest or some other martial affair save for hunting his most favored prey: the Raksha. The tall, strongly built man had been observing and taking in the various people. Their new companions fascinated him for obvious reasons with the world seemingly being turned on its head. His own compatriots he was electing to watch more closely and more so Rine for obvious reasons of their bond.

There would be war now, no matter what path they chose and he wanted to better grasp who it was he was dealing with. This place at least they could begin to reclaim... perhaps uplift the Dragon Kings back to their old might and intellect. They would need soldiers to face the horrors of the new world.

This new age saddened him greatly, but even now his fury was of the fact that the Raksha were here. The audacity to enter Creation, to even have the means to cause him great anger. He had warned those before what he would do to those he found and were not benign. His desire was to seek out these nobles and devour their heart's blood.

"If we are to stay I agree with securing somewhere. We have many foes but they are not unified, which is our greatest advantage. Elimination of one foe will lighten our concerns while improving our own capacity. I advise we focus on one and eliminate them from the situation compleletly if only to clear and claim. This city's location is strategically important as well considering travelling over land will greatly hinder our enemies as well," He offered to his compatriot before turning to their host.

"I am Zanto Darro and I thank you for your hospitality in this odd situation," He said towards the Lunar with a bow of his head now. Moving to stand near Rine for the time being, one could never deny the large Lunar was not dedicated to his bondmate even if he had his moments of being a bit taciturn and lost in his thoughts.

Murdock explains some of the theories behind the Deathlords and their Abyssal servants, saying that the shadowland formed around the Mistress of Tears' fortress was formed fairly recently, probably using necromancy magic to punch a hole between Creation and the Underworld there.

Pyter comments that he has never personally met with Leeayta, but his standing in the Bureau of Destiny will be enough to get into her sanctum and begin a conversation. "If she can be swayed to our cause, she might just know what secrets are still hidden in the city that the Fae and the Deathlord are looking for. Not to mention the help she would be in Awakening the various Dragon Kings to sapience once more."

"Regardless of what we do or where we go, I think we should stay alert for the Deathlord and Abyssal activity. The fact that we don't know a lot about what they can do other than powerful necromancy disturbs me. Do you think they might have involvement with the theorized third circle of Necromancy?"

Pyter looks somber. "The Sidereals have a Convention investigating the Deathlords, and while I'm not in that particular circle, the things that I've heard about them is scary. It is strongly suspected that these dark spirits do have access to all three circles of necromancy, and that their Deathknights can tap into that power, too. From our count, there is a total of fourteen of these Deathlords, but most have no foothold in Creation. I only knew of three that did before hearing of the fortress of the Mistress of Tears. There is Mask of Winters, Walker in Darkness, and the Silver Prince. The rest are fighting it out amongst themselves in the Underworld."

"One of our number, known as the Green Lady, has made several inroads with one of these Deathlords. I believe that it is the Mask of Winters, but I could be mistaken. According to her, the Deathlord has been quite the agreeable host and is very pleasant. Mor'du, Murdock do the Lunars have any interaction with them?"

"Only by the point of a sword. As a whole, the Lunars see the forces of the Underworld as a blight that needs to be eradicated."

Amara leans forward to speak. "The Mask of Winters has tried to host a martial arts tournament for the past several years, but there are few that are willing to risk themselves, even with the supposed promise of free passage to and from Thorns."

"So...Rathess has been more or less stagnant in terms of conflict lately... Know anything that might get one party to attack the other, namely forcing Tears against Filial? If nothing else, simply watching the conflict would allow us to assess the scope of their powers."

"Interesting, this Mask of Winters." Sol places a finger to her chin and mutters to herself. "Might be worth taking a peak into his territory, glean his intent, especially considering he claimed Thorns." She tilts her head to the side realizing where she is, "Oh not at this moment of course, Grifnir has a fair idea. Perhaps instigating an argument between two forces might allow us sight into how both function."

"I rather like the thought picking off the survivor should they get real into the fight." Grifnir laid down at the edge of the pavillion, his head resting against his satchel. "You guys will probably want to do something else though. In the mean time, a nap sounds mighty nice. Let me know when you all are ready to move on."

Pyter yawns, then looks about in embarrassment. "Sorry. I've been up for days, and its finally starting to catch up with me. Let us get some rest here, then we can plot our return to Rathess and make our move on the Fae in the Flying Tower."

After several hours of much needed rest, the group is once more up and making plans. Murdock sketches a rough drawing of the city, and marks the two intact Flying Towers on it. "This one here is a nest of Dragon Kings, a whole mess of 'em. Some have been able to Awaken their Essence, and are trying to teach the others, but it is slow going for them. This Tower here, that is the one with the Fae in it. In the past I've snuck around the city and I have seen on different occasions that there is at least four nobles in charge of a small horde of hobgoblins. They are searching the city for something; I have no idea what, though. They sneak out every now and then and head for the underways, but there are ten times the volume of space under the city than there is above ground, so they have their work cut out for them." He scrawls a few more landmarks on the map he's making. "This is the main temple to Leeayta, the goddess of the city. She keeps watch on the Dragon Kings as if they were her special project, and I have to bet that any effort to talk to her will involve helping her chosen followers. But, if there is something hidden away under the city, she is the one that will know more about the place than anyone else."

Pyter pulls out a crystal datapad and makes a few notes to himself on it. "Excellent. Thank you Murdock. The next question is, do you wish to approach the Fae peacefully, or with martial intent? If you plan on attacking, coming at them from above might take them by surprise. Fly or climb to the top of the Tower, then work your way down through the levels that way. Probably easier than storming the street level entrance which is surely barricaded to keep out the Solar's troops and the wild Dragon Kings that wander the city."

Mor'du lets out a grunt. "I have a flying form big enough to haul one person to the top of the Tower with me. Any more than that, and I'll have to make more than one trip." He looks over at Amara. "Just don't gain any more weight, girl. Your hips are already as wide as an ox-cart."

The young Solar bristles at the insult, then shoots a glare at the old bear as he breaks into laughter.

"Honestly, I'd prefer to approach the Fae peacefully. Though, I think an effective tactic might be to corner the nobles in their own hidey hole without even alerting their guard, handing their lives back to them from sword point, and collecting on their life debt. Alternatively, if they fight back I can start collecting their graces until I can get at their heart graces. Either way I'm fairly confident I can make these nobles into my vassals." Grifnir paused for a moment as he was finishing re-attuning and fitting his armor. "So suffice to say, if we do the air drop, I think I should lead the marching order. I'm open to suggestions though if you guys have thought of something better, or more entertaining." Grifnir smirked, ready to get some honest work done.

"I have never understood why some of the Chosen meet the Fae with anything other than a promise of extinction." Mused Rine. "Personally I would prefer if we simply did away with them, but if we must negotiate with those false beings, then I support a position of strength. However, I feel our primary focus at the moment should be the Dragon King. Their support was invaluable during the Primordial War, and could no doubt be invaluable again today. Besides, we owe it to them to see them lifted from a state of barbarism."

"I don't want to bring the Dragon Kings into more conflict just yet, and I certainly don't think we can afford to ignore the Fae tower for long. If you want those Fae dead it can be easily done, though I think having them on a leash has merits. At least, I wouldn't feel bad if Raksha perished in our service... At the end of the day though, I suppose I have little say in that. I am no war leader and I don't care to change that now."

"If the ambush we saw earlier was any indication, the Dragon Kings are already involved in a conflict with the Fae, so focusing our attention on aiding them wont drag them in to any conflict that they're not already in." Rine said, thinking back to the previous day. "Presumably they already have a fortified position, but approaching the Fae first and subduing them would also take the pressure off of them."

"What I mean is, I'd rather take care of the immediate problem before risking casualties to the Dragon Kings. Call it pride or whatever, but I just don't like the thought of others dying when I could just do it myself and spare them the suffering."

The return trip to Rathess is relatively quick, but this time, you have the added presence of Murdock along with you. In short order, you are once more at the outer walls of the ancient city. It is late afternoon when the Circle arrives there, the sun setting down in the West. Murdock points out the Flying Tower that he says houses the Fae. How do you approach it?

Grifnir points to the top of the tower as he begins explaining his intent, "If one of you fine Lunars doesn't mind taking me, I'll go in the top and sneak through to the nobles. If you wish to follow I can clear the goblins as we go, but it may just be simpler to deal with them last and limit the infiltration team to those with advanced concealment magic and defenses against Fae tricks. So... who here can pierce illusions, ignore reshaping, and pass undetected?"

Amara shakes her head. "I don't have any Wyld resisting Charms, so I guess I'm out."

Mor'du trades a glance with Murdock. "I suppose either one of us can fit that bill, unless you wish to have someone with a higher Essence level with you up there."

"The three of us should be perfect for this run. That leaves Amara, Fist, Zanto, and Pyter for defense should the rest of the group have any trouble... Alright, if everyone is ready, I think it's time to hunt some Raksha." Grifnir finished, pausing for a moment in case there was anything he seemed to be forgetting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Murdock flashes a smile as he shifts into his warform. Being careful not to stab Grifnir with his claws, he easily picks you up and spreads his wings for flight. Mor'du's form shifts into that of a bird, and he is soon in the air himself. It takes a little bit for the three of you to get to the top of the Fae's Flying Tower, but as you land, you can see that there are several airships docked in their landing cradles, some of them look to be in good condition considering just how long they have been abandoned here. Once he lands, Mor'du once more takes to his own warform, hefting his goremaul with a toothy grin.

What are the rest of you doing while the three make their way down the Tower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back