• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dreams of the Second Age

You remember that on your way in, all those years ago, you took one of the many subway trams down to this level. Strangely enough, your three new allies lead you away from the tram station with the comment that much of the system has broken down, and what does work is being used by the monsters that control most of the city. It takes several hours to make your way along side tunnels to get to the surface, and for the first time in 1500 years, you see the afternoon sun for the first time.

The city has seen better days. Of the four Flying Towers, only two are still standing, rising up over 3,000 feet above the city. In the center of the city is one of the three massive pyramids; the other two form a line along the Way of the Sun. Much of the paving stones have been shifted over the years and overgrown with creeper vines that have climbed up the side of many of the buildings.

"So where are these monsters holing up? I'm up for a bit of exercise." Grifnir draws his Daiklave, checking his gear for a moment and preparing to use his scouting combo for a venture to seek out the invaders.

Pyter shrugs. "Take your pick. Each of the three pyramids are overrun, along with both of the remaining Flying Towers. That doesn't count all the scum that has taken to the underways. We suspect that the bulk of the things living here are under the control of a powerful Exalt, probably a Solar. Before you get your hopes up about running into another one of your brethren, you should know that there are many dark rumors about what this Exalt is doing here, including cannibalism. I fear that he has fallen to the same madness that instigated the take-down of the old Deliberative. Who knows? When faced with fellows of similar power, he may be able to be straightened out."

Grifnir nods in acknowledgement, "Well that is certainly worth investigating. If he has succumbed to the same madness then we need to take the time to study it. If it's another force affecting him we probably ought to deal with it. Regardless, I'm going to head over there and see if I think the area can be cleared out. Might as well take out the trash before we do home repairs." Grifnir said while pointing out the closest of the large structures relative to the groups current location. Activating the same suite of magic as he had on his last brief run, Grifnir set out to explore the surface of Rathess for anyone of notable power.

"Before we do anything, we should set up fortifications so we have a secure location. It seems prudent to have a base to return to."

Shining continued to not like anything involved with this business. She knew a bloodbath when she saw one, and eagerly into death was not something she eagerly endorsed. A hand reached up to grab the hem to the back of her husband's clothing and gave it a few quick tugs. "Husband..." she whined, knowing he would understand her concerns.

This location was not fortified and the others were walking happily into danger. By Sol, from what the new arrivals told her they should be very much vacating this entire land for safer pastures. Or as safe you can be within this new age.

Pyter looks about the place, scratching at his chin. "There are a few places we can go to hole up until such time as you need the supplies down in the cache. There are the two Flying Towers that would give an unparalleled view of the surface of the city and the surrounding jungle; there is the small town of Chaing-Dav on the river; it would take us many hours of hard travel through the jungle to get there, though, and they question anyone that pays too much attention to the ruins out here. Or, we could sneak into Yu-Shan. It wouldn't be a secret for long, but there are places that can be used to conceal you until you have decided on your next course of action."

Mor'du rumbles a bit. "There is the layer of Mi-Ha-Suchi that is not far from here. He may be willing to host us for a time, but his attitudes towards Solars are not pleasant. Its an option."

"The flying towers would be our best bet at the moment, I would rather not make any grand announcements of our return until we have a proper grasp of the situation. With the high ground granted by the towers, we should be well defended in case of any attacks."

Solistrae's face brightens, a familiar name that survived the ages! She places her hands together and turns her gaze to Mor'du with a hopeful look. "Dear and handsome Ma-Ha-Suchi is nearby?" Though it worries her, he was always friendly sometimes overly so, though he rarely stayed with one person at any given time... or maybe that was just her? So why was he unhappy with Solars. Though she looks to the young solar among them and then frowns slightly considering a thing. Perhaps not all the Solars were taken, perhaps some remained forever maddened by their power. Which... considering the time and age might be worse than before.

"We can take a look at the towers then and take a look at the city from high up. If it will take more than the six... er nine of us, then perhaps a less troublesome location would be better for us." There was her little hatchery palace but she had abandoned it expecting the Sidereals to done things to it. Her tiny little manse far to the north, if one hundred and fifty years was foreseen as poor for her home, then one thousand five hundred years would have placed it so far in disarray. She pats the fans on her waist thoughtfully.

Mor'du mutters, "He is hardly handsome; he came closer to becoming a chimera and was able to keep his sanity than any other from his time in the Wyld."

Amara looks about, shielding her eyes from the glare of the sun. "That Tower there looks closer than the other one. Moving cautiously, we should be able to get there within the next hour or so, and from what I have heard of the Exalts of the First Age, if there is something that the nine of us can't take down between here and there, then Creation is in serious trouble. Lets go." Despite being so young (especially compared to you), Amara is all Dawn caste Solar in her take-charge attitude. She carries her bow in a steady hand, moving from cover to cover like she has had military training. Mor'du is not far behind his friend, letting Pyter follow along behind the two.

A few minutes into your sneak to the base of the Tower and you pause at the sight of a group of a dozen armed goblins making a patrol of the city. This bunch, however, is being stalked by a trio of Raptok and one Anklok Dragon Kings. Instead of the proud and regal race of lizard people, these appear to be near savage, wearing piecemeal armor and for the most part, carrying crude weapons. The Anklok is armed with a crystal warclub, and seems to be the one giving the orders to the three Raptoks. It looks like there is about to be an ambush on the goblin patrol.

"Chimera...?" Grifnir's voice trailed, stopping for a moment and signaling to the others pointing out the ambush site. "Goblins... if they control this tower, we should be ready to deal with Fae. Whoever is at risk of being reshaped should stick to the center. Priority target is gonna be any grace wielder. For now though, let's leave this to run it's course, we could learn something useful here." Focusing on the encounter in front of him, Grifnir would stalk closer, invisible. He'd spectate this ambush so long as he went unnoticed, of which he felt confident in his ability to do so with his usual scouting suite active. His goal for now was to gauge the state of affairs: What language did they speak? Who led the Dragon Kings, or the Fae for that matter, and what were their objectives with these intrusions?

"Agreed, but I would like to move in to support them should things go wrong. These Dragon Kings were once our allies in the now far distant past, and I would feel ill at ease in abandoning them."

"...Fair enough, I'll kill the goblins if they seems to be having a bad run of things, we'll see if these Dragon Kings will listen to reason. Amara, be ready with that bow if I move in. I don't like to give a target time to think when striking." Grifnir said, steeling himself with Gardoroth in hand, dashing toward the goblins at an inhumanly fast and yet silent pace, he would take a moment to observe his surroundings ensuring that he could strike the goblins without having to deal with reinforcements. If possible, he would analyze their essence to ascertain who the leader or the strongest was and slay them first as an example to the rest. For now, he sat restrained right at the edge of pouncing on his prey should they prove too much for their current hunters.

Looking back to the tug on his sleeve, Tyrant felt another twinge at his wife's plea. Certainly, he was not fond of this course of action himself. When they had cleared the path to the surface it was apparent the decay had set in to Rathess. The old capital was a decrepit ruin, pilfered and broken. The state of it's city god if one still survived was no doubt one of madness. Over half of the city was underground and filled with creatures not unlike the ones they quietly avoided on their trip here. Why were they so desperate to latch onto whatever was in front of them?

As if to hit on this, Pyter begins speaking of options for shelter. With each, Tyrant's face grows flatter, twisting into a snarl at the name Ma-Ha-Suchi. The thought of walking into that wanton philanderer filled him with disgust. The lunar would make a pass at his wife then him in the very same breath! The news of him becoming a twisted creature close to a chimera and close by settled it in his mind. This was not a place where he would make camp. Not now in these conditions.

"I would decline all the above options. This city is something that must be taken and held with an army. Regardless of how matchless their valor is, seven are not enough to encompass, to patrol, or to hold a place. Even more so with one clearly over run with decay and monsters. Indeed the ochre fountain would be poetic a place to rebuild from, but not practical right now. Making neighbors with the mad and monstrous is something I will decline. Drawing the eyes of the realm or the heavenly city would be the last thing we want. There are many manses that my wife and I took pains to hide and prepare with supplies and defenses to last an age. We could travel there to build our strength while gathering information and allies..."

Sending an even look to Amara, Tyrant mutters in an even tone with a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"How about no."

As they advance onwards towards the pyramid, Tyrant remains motionless beside Shining. Inside of him, there is a part that wishes to join them on the front lines to destroy the creatures who haunt this place. The urge to do something after so much time in a dream less sleep gnaws at him. Yet all of that is something to keep suppressed until valor must be displayed. Even more importantly is the part of him that was tugging on his sleeve. Before they pass beyond the threshold he lets his voice carry to them on the wind.

"Sun child, I will not grudge you this should you and the others wish to go directly into the fray. Yet it shall be the seven of you who do so. This eagerness to stir up a mercury ant colony is not something I will assent to at this time. My first priority is to my wife and mate, with the debt and mission second. If you wish to lay claim to Rathess as your capital, I agree it would be a fine place to start. But not now, with these preparations."

Rine smirked at Tyrant. "Look at the potential for resources before you, dear warrior. Help the Dragon Kings, win them over, and we could have an army at our back before you even know it." He said, turning his attention back to the ambush in progress. "If nothing else, realize that I can conjure up a legion of troops within a week, should we so desire it."

"Potential for death you mean," Shining said dourly, "The problem here, dear Rine, is forcing a strong hold and keeping soldiers when fae are about with their chaotic madness, supplemented with the clawing and miserable undead, un-enlightened dragon kings that would take a week of our power to make viable. A week here in this death trap. That's not even getting into the unknown and no doubt powerful Solar lurking within the holds of Rathess. Then we get into all the attention this draws to us at our weakest that will surely bring our end."

She shakes her head, silvery hair trailing behind her, "Walk into the jaws of the horrors that claim these lands if you wish to let your greed be the better of you. Though," She smiles at the Twilight, "you and everyone else are more than welcome to join us in our fleeing to safer locales. The city is not lost forever but we can not retake it as is."

Pyter interjects with, "The Dragon Kings were renown for their ferocity and loyalty to the Unconquered Sun. They live here in the jungle by the thousands. If you could get their numbers on your side, with their ability to manipulate Essence, you would have the start to a formidable army."

Those watching the pending ambush, you can see that the Anklok is the one calling the shots for the reptile men. It makes several gestures with its claw, and the three Raptok nod and crouch deeper, ready to attack.

Grifnir, now no longer next to the arguing group, continued spectating the Dragon Kings trying to ascertain how enlightened this group might be, recalling that their essence gave a hint at their capacity for intelligence.

Assuming Int+Lore for this knowledge.

[dice]4276[/dice]

Last edited by a moderator:
With the power of your All Encompassing Sorcerers Sight, you can see that the three Raptok are all Essence 2, and the Anklok is Essence 3. That marks all four of them as having the capacity to use language and tactics, along with their Essence powers of their Paths of Prehuman Mastery.

"There is at least some small hope for them then. I can't let the Dragon Kings continue living in...this... I can't abandon them again..." Grifnir thought to himself. Leaning forward he prepared himself to leap into combat joining in as soon as the strike fell. He would see this done quickly and cleanly then confront this group of Dragon Kings on what they were doing here.

Solistrae looks to the group, unhappiness clear on her face. Yes the huntress of the East did not care for direct confrontations, she liked misdirection and game playing. But that age had gone, no more challenges that she could with confidence defeat in her way without threat of being skewered. Most of all though she wanted Rathess purged quickly and expediently, because this decay, these creatures, and the fae was a grave insult to what once was. But it was a vain desire and one that could be easily set aside. Still, Grifnir and Rine were content to stay and fight, though for Grifnir it appeared he cared for the Dragonkings, for Rine perhaps something new and exciting thing to do. And for Tyrant and Shining... well their lives, nothing in Rathess wrong or not drew them here.

Solveria turns to her gaze to those two while Grifrin poises for his helping of the dragonkings, "And where is it that you will go? Is it safe, not threatened by the same threats that lie here? Is it defensible? Can it contain us and any force we make so that we may correct the wrongs of our Era?" What would be nice was if it were in the East to the north, then she could check to see if the Silvermoon Hatchery where she had birthed a small playful group of her children, was recoverable. But the chance of that was slim and she new she should not hold out for such things.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the debate goes on, the ambush of the goblins takes place. The four Dragon Kings leap silently down to the street and strike, taking out four of the twelve creatures right away. The fight is then on, but the reptile men are clearly at an advantage as they gang up on their prey. In a matter of moments, the fight is over and the Dragon Kings are all that are still standing, and only one of them has taken any injury. They begin to gather up the bodies and haul them away towards one of the many entrances to the underground passages nearby the Flying Tower you were heading towards.

Pyter looks over at the various Exalts. "I don't wish to tell you your business, but even for us, it is dangerous to be out in the open. A destination is needed, either in the city or to one of the manses controlled by you nearby." He is looking around him in all directions, obviously uneasy with being out and exposed the way he is currently.

Grifnir retreats from his watch seeing that he wasn't needed, returning to the group. He looks over to Sol who hasn't seem to decide either way just yet, "What is your stance? I have no interest in splitting us up over base of operations. I would like to resolve things quickly though."

Solistrae leans back on her heels, hands behind her back. Pyter had the right of it, and Grifnir had a point. "I agree, separating when we know so little of the threats outside the city is tantamount to vain suicide, and a decision must be made. Sol glances to the group then to Tyrant and Shining, they had a place they intended to go after all. If Tyrant and Shining have a place nearby that can be used to help us get a grasp on this era then that would be fine, but only as long as its not in the same state as Rathess. Otherwise, what is stop us using one of the Flying Towers? Apparently the Dragon Kings seem to own that tower over there, and they would be best option of the others in the city to bring over to our side. We've three lovely Chosen of the Sun, they'd have to react favorably to one of them, right?"

Solistrae sighs and shakes her head as she begins to deviate from her intended conversation point. "Regardless, if we can get promises that another location is far easier to claim and protect, then I will vote for that location. I will be cross having to make two trips when none needed to be made if remote locations are more trouble than this one. The Silvermoon Hatchery is my manse, but it lies a few weeks to the north and east of us. I left it assuming that it will not survive the 'storm' that apparently has long since happened. So I know mine is not an option to go to at this time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back