Other Do you listen to any podcasts? (Starting with a great Actual Play Podcast)

AZO King

Friends at the Table [weekly, 1.5-2.5 hrs] is my favorite podcast right now, it's an actual play podcast focused on critical worldbuilding, smart characterization, and fun interaction between good friends. The GM is Austin Walker of Giant Bomb (more on him later), and there are 3 or 4 players in most episodes (exceptions being the first set of episodes of Season 1 and the two holiday specials, which have 5, 6, and 6 respectively). Season 1 is in the Dungeon World system, it's a fantasy game that goes really cool/crazy places. Season 2 is a cyberpunk/sci-fi game with mechs and lots of anime-ish stuff, and season 2 uses several different game systems at different times depending on what sort of story is being made by the players.

Friends at the table is frequently funny, and the players/GM are good enough that I've definitely come to care when bad things happen to the characters (and they definitely do)

The Giant Bombcast [weekly Tuesdays ~3 hrs] is from the great guys at Giant Bomb, it's a weekly show wherein the guys at the San Francisco office talk a bit about their weeks, and then discuss the hottest news in the video game industry, and then take a bit to answer some listener/reader emails. This goes up Tuesdays so there's a new episode today.

The Giant Beastcast [weekly Fridays, 2-3 hrs] is similar to the Giant Bombcast, but it's run by the GB East guys in New York, hence the name. Austin Walker who runs Friends at the Table is a member of the Giant Bomb East group.

The Super Best Friendcast is from the 4 members of the Let's Play channel on Youtube thesw1tcher, they run shows under the titles Two Best Friends Play and Super Best Friends Play, and they're my favorite Let's Play group by far. While they have a similar format to the Bombcast, the Super Best Friends aren't journalists, and are also definitely more out there in personality. They spend more time on their weeks, talk about more speculative or insular pieces of news, and take weirder letters than the Bombcast. Despite the similarities/differences this is a great show and it has its own unique flavor (visible in such episode titles as: 125: MIRACLE GIRLS FESTIVAL: LET ME BURY YOUR CHILD: STOP ME FROM BEARING YOUR CHILD, 121: BLACK PANTHER’S DEBUT WAS RUNNING FROM COPS, 119: WELCOME TO PATSCHWITZ and many more)

Lore is a great shorter show, about 25-30 minutes per episodes currently, and it only updates every other week. Aaron Mahnke is the one man show, and each episode he explores various creepy and usually supernatural stories from around the world, often tying into folktales or exploring their sources.

Welcome to Night Vale is a bizarre public access radio show from the fictional town of Night Vale, it's very creepy and frequently hilarious, and it embraces both of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only listen to one podcast:

(Warning: Explicit Vocabulary) a deliciously irreverent podcast about absolutely nothing, hosted by a bundle of psychologically ambiguous animators, voice actors, composers, and developers. Honestly, these guys are so funny and outgoing that I ended up listening to all of their episodes. Even their introduction video (Already linked it) is hilarious, but that's just my opinion.

I listen to Welcome to Nightvale along with The Jenna & Julien Podcast on Youtube :)

I listen to a crap ton based on CBS Supergirl and CW's the Flash.

My favorite : Super Tuesday Recaps, Project Fandom/Podcast Fandom, Central City Underground, Flash TV Talk, Supergirl Radio

I listen to Judge John Hodgeman all the time in the car, in fact me and my dad are writing up our case for him involving Hamilton :3

AZO King] [URL="http://superbestfriendsplay.com/series/friendcast/ said:
The Super Best Friendcast[/URL]
Good man. The only podcast I listen to myself.

Since you brought up the amazing titles they have, I'll just drop this off here for everyone's enjoyment.

[media]
[/media]

I listen to two comedy podcasts from my home country, "O homem que mordeu o cão " e "Mixórdia de Temáticas".

I also listen to a podcast on writing named "writing excuses".

I love Welcome to Night Vale! I also listen to Alice Isn't Dead, which is made by the same people. Alice Isn't Dead is very creepy. As I saw it put on tumblr: Night Vale is a comedy with horror elements, Alice Ins't Dead is horror with comedy elements.

I've also listened to part of The Thrilling Adventure Hour. My favorite sub-series is "Beyond Belief".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back