World Building Do you enjoy researching for RPs?

Going down the reseaerch rabbit hole is both a passion and a bane.
I was once asked to help lead a japanese tcg based rp and had to spend time looking up obscure characters, locations used in manga and light novels as well as some doujin while simultaneously tracking down the translations of cards and their effects so people could reference them correctly ithout being accused of godmoding.

The historical types are always a fun challenge, as are existing IP's.

You have to learn to play in someone else's sandbox while avoiding the hidden cat poop.

Oof! It really depends.. I think if I go down rabbit holes of my own interested topics for too long, I’ll end up reading more than doing any writing.

When I’m feeling very world buildy or I’m writing a new character which has a pretty divergent backstory from what I know, I dig into research. I think it helps to flesh what I have and check my logic/facts. It’s like putting puzzle pieces together and in this sense, that’s very fun!

But if I’m looking to write something more easygoing, I normally don’t see the need to. It’s more about having fun with the writing process. It’s one thing to do the research and gather inspiration, but it’s another to have to physically write that out and incorporate it.

Although truthfully, sometimes the procrastinator in me just hopes what I have is coherent enough to start/keep the RP going. 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back