• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Dieselpunk (The Surge of Electro Swing)

nebulousinsight

Fan of Details
Welcome one, welcome all! So, let's get right down to brass tacks ladies and gents. I'm lookin' to make an RP about a dieselpunk alternative history storyline. For those of you who don't know, DIESELPUNK is:

An art style and imagined history that blends the spirit of the 1920s - 1950s with contemporary technology and attitude. Inspired by roaring movement and revolution: jazz, modern art, world wars, streamlined technology, pulp adventure, and film noir, it focuses on the advent of heavy machinery, light-hearted fun, and the down-and-dirty grit of the first two world wars.

So, now that we got that out of the way, lovelies, let's look at my plot, hmm? I'm thinkin' we focus on the tensions between the USA and Europe, perhaps branching into the Asian countries as time progresses. Everyone loves the Asian persuasion, gentlemen! On the surface all seems well. Both the United States (still hard at work in capitalism) and the European empire (or individual countries [preference to be determined]) seem prosperous, industries booming. Nuclear families are thriving, and no one questions the movements of the government except the typical outcasts.

On the scathing underbelly however, you've got the run-of-the-mill drug dealers, slinging dope, Mary Jane, our Great Lady's Cane, and a slew of other industry standard highs and lows. Beneath even that, in the grime, you've got government agents on both sides. The dance between them is dangerous, even lethal at times. It's a game of secrets, hot rods, hotter bods, and the hottest of weapons just waiting to be fired.

I'm thinkin' now, friends and acquaintances, that we settle into roles. Some will play covert agents, some will play military officials who unwittingly play their part in the overall schemes, and then there will be those naïve housewives who wander out at the wrong time, swept up into the life of espionage. One moment you're bakin' a pie for Big Daddy husband and the next you're seein' the man who baked your bread for 10 years pull out a Ruger on your neighbor and blast 'em.

That's the life, men and women. That's the game. But all's not the game of secrets, no. You have to maintain cover, and that means a big tab to run up at the nation's expense! Live rich, live the high life, and ride that new sportster down the motorway! Nestle deep in betwixt those cabarets and find out whether or not your foreign friend is planning to kill your head of government!

Any takers?

I would think it'd be something akin to industrialized tanks, planes etc. Like WWII, but with more streamlined builds. Ships too. For ground forces I would think would be something kind of like power armor, just far less OP. I mean, still OP but not as much. It's open to discussion. We can pull up examples via pictures too.

This. I want this. Do want this right now. Like... right now right now. 8U

You just kinda rolled up a bunch of my interests into one.
xD

Dieselpunk... I need to look into this more. I didn't know this genre actually had a name.
xD

I didn't know either until a couple months ago when I loaded into google by mistake, instead of Steampunk. It's so good. You're welcome to join! Any additional plot points or ideas you'd like to toss in? I love to collaborate.

Welp... I know where I can unload all of my music now. :I

I'm assuming there's going to be a mix of all "eras" with the setting? The Roaring 20's and all that good jazz?

Quite literally, yes! I would love to get some electro swing and other playlists going, if nothing more than as an OOC thing. It's that music that inspired me to open this check.

Then keep me in touch! I have loads of different sounds, including electroswing. I was curious too if certain items would be considered illegal/contraband in the thread to add to the feel you're going for? Maybe a Prohibition going on that gets the criminals stirring less the focus is mostly on the tension between the US, Europe, and dapper spies?

That IS a good idea. Perhaps it's on some other item that's needed / desired for fun instead of alcohol? I'm game for anything ultimately.

I CAN be, but I loathe doing it alone. By the time I'm done I don't wanna RP it anymore lol. It'd be nice to alleviate that a bit. As I think about it more, it makes sense to do alcohol for prohibition because of high concentrations being used as a fuel source for some vehicles. The country(ies) could be outraged for the sudden inability to run x, y, z machines.

Ohh I'd love to help out! * A*

Are the infamous 30's style gangsters going to be an influence?

I know you mentioned having characters be agents, military men, and the such, but what are you thinking of other possible roles? How "open world" are you thinking this rp might be? I think that may help figure out how to approach the project.

Well if I can get some help I could move this to a nationbuilding RP, but ultimately, it's only as big as its participants. If we can grow the number present we could introduce the gangsters, but if we don't hit anymore than 3-4 people I'd avoid it unless people played two characters. I love the idea, don't get me wrong. I just don't wanna introduce too many variables until we have more minds to probe.

Ah! That's true. Numbers can mean a lot in terms of the setting. How about this: how many characters would you like for your thread? From there, we can start building the world to fit the maximum number and what not.

Makes sense. I don't see it as a nation building rp though. Nation building tends to be more of countries/nations being played by a single person. But then again the definition of the forum might have changed since it was thrown up.

I wouldn't mind helping out, I just need definites of what you want and what you're aiming for.

I usually aim for 5-7 people. If we can hit that number I'm game to add the gangster angle. I'd love to flesh out the world as much as possible, but not if there's little interest.

That's pretty low numbers for a pretty large thread concept. If you want low numbers, it's best to dial in on a single idea. If you're set on espionage in this universe, I think that's cool. The influences of the world can shape these spies and "military men" as well.

Well I mean... I want more, but I always try to low ball because I'm often let down by a lack of interest in my ideas.

Also, welcome and I hope you partake in the idea spam!

Hmm... then why not do something in which the setting takes place in a single place (for the time being)? Have "loose roles" for users to try and fill out a profile for. Like, someone can be a spy, a military man, a gangster, or whatever characters you wanna see in the thread? These roles can have information of how they connect to one another and what not. And, they can tie together in a single story and what not. Like, it can be a loose bunch that's connected to a single item or person like Guy Ritchie movie plots. Also, have some music:

[media]

[/media]

I like that idea. I'll have to think about it tonight and see if I can scrounge up a basic close-knit plotline within the universe. I could possibly do a series of smaller plotlines rather than an overarching big one, that way we can add more people as time goes on if necessary. In the meantime, I'm all for hearing anymore ideas. Also, post up some more music. I'll take a listen in the morning!

Either or works or even a combination of the two with the main arc taking time to reach while smaller plots help build up development and story. Also, lets users jump in and what not. I'll keep throwing up music and ideas too. xD

I'm not the best at music, but I'd totally go for something like what mayhem just said. And having kinda 'roles' for people to fill seems like a decent way to ensure some kind of sense and difference and stuff. Sometimes it is unwarranted, but I think it'd work here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back