Advice/Help Dice

RaynieTaco

Okay! Hi! My success rate on this website has been pretty hit or miss- but I am really trying to better understand how things work. I am like an eager puppy that needs training haha.

So the question, as you may have gathered from the name of the thread, involves the dice system. I am currently a GM for 5e as well as a participant for a different campaign- also 5e. I am very familiar to the 5e system now- though 3.5 used to be my game. Of course all of these games I play with people in real time in my home (ew social obligations). I love GM-ing. I love playing Dungeons and Dragons as a hole. All my games are homebrew with lots of house rules and such. I would assume it would be easier to do this game in real time over a forum like this. AND YET- you all have developed a very lovely, interesting way to do it. And I- the ancient dinosaur stuck in my own way- am perplexed.

So- how? How do you do this? I see that you can roll some dice with the posts you do- but how does that add skill points from your character sheet? How do you roll for specific attacks...? Okay, basically I am asking for a tutorial. I feel like there is probably one somewhere- and if that is the case- please direct me. I may just be blind... or dumb. Or both! Please send help :D

I am currently not allowed to post tutorials or anything half-resembling one, so while I would love to go into detail about how to do the dice rolling and such, I'll have to settle for just telling you a few more direct answers to your questions.

The shortest answer to everything is, there is no automatic system. While dice rolls are something which RPN's system allows you to do, this only (to my knowledge) rolls simple dice. So instead, you have to just know things and write them down. You write down what attack you are doing (like in a spoiler, to avoid breaking immersion), what rolls are for, what extra points you're adding or removing and from where, etc...

Also, from what I gather, dice roleplaying in RPN is divided into two groups, but play-by-post groups tend to be the ones that stay on RPN to roleplay even in dice, and aren't based on real time sessions, but rather function more like a typical roleplay on the site. On the other hand, session-based roleplayers may gather a group on RPN, but often play outside of it in platforms like discord or roll20.

I must point out though that my experience is definitely limited, being that I both have only joined a few games of D&D5e and even those usually died pretty quickly (and then one that was strangled to death by the circumstances).

Still, hope this helps and happy RPing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back