Developing a System

DemonKitten

Handler of Souls, Destroyer of Hearts
I need help trying to find a system to fit in with my roleplay.

I haven't created it yet so here is some backstory to what this system needs to adjust to. I was thinking of doing dice, but if you know another way that would be useful. I want this to be sort of a leveling up system. I feel like I am not explaining this well so just ask questions and I can answer.

Is a time to test your strength and gain notice through battles of wits, strength, speed, and skill. There are many different battles, all very dangerous and all leaving you sore (for better) or dead (For worse). These battles are done in turn. Two fighters are randomly chosen, depending on where you scanned your faction card, for the rest to watch as they battle. The most likes a player gets for their post determines the winner. Dices will be used or some form of a system to keep things fair. (Once I find out how).

These are cards that are placed on lanyards around your neck. They are life pieces and losing them equals death. You get one once you join a faction and it shows your faction on your card. The card keeps track of your wins/loses in each category and is sent to a larger system that keeps track of who is raining champ in what areas. Since I am the GM, which would be me that keeps track of the numbers.

I think if you want an actual fighting system, dice roll would be your best choice. Otherwise, you may want the participants to plot out who would win or lose.

I can see two ways of using the dice system:

1. Use it to see who wins the outcome - Have both participants roll to see who has the higher number. The higher number represents which character will win, and the two play out to their discretion. You may also add other dice rolls to see how severe participants get injured or have a critical change in the fight.

2. Use the dice system for every attack - I actually haven't tried out the dice system on RPN yet, but I believe if you can roll for attack and defense, its a simple math problem of subtracting a bigger number from a smaller number.

So say player1 attacks player 2 and rolls a 6.

Player2 defends and rolls a 5.

Player2 will get 1 damage because ATK6 - DEF5 = DMG1.

However, if the attack is weaker than the defense, then the attack could either be nullified or countered.

So if player1 attacks and rolls a 2.

And player2 defends and rolls a 6.

Player2 blocks player1's attack because ATK2 - DEF6 = -4DMG

This could either mean depending on further mechanics if they can counter-attack the other player or if layer1 hurts himself instead.

If the second method (and possibly the first) were to be used, you could also set up modifyers for characters to have depending on their background, weapons, combat expertise, etc.

The Likes-voting system you have up seems to already answer the questions that you might use dice for. I think what you really need is more indication of what kinds of actions are acceptable in the contest, not gratuitous randomization.

And are the players who vote supposed to represent the audience of your fights, or a totally out-of-game influence on the results?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back