Tech Depend on Technology? (Debate-ish)

What do you find yourself using technology for?

• Conversation (I do not favor face-to-face conversation)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Long Distance Relationships (friend(s)/lover(s)/family)

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Social Media in general

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Connections (I keep in touch, but can handle face-to-face conversation)

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Daily Planner

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Work Enviroment

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • General Web Surfing

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Websites like RPNation

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Streaming and/or Gaming

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Anything and everything!

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

WolfSol

Brain cashew smooth
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
For my Critical Thinking and Argumentation class, I have a research paper due at the end of the semester and am required to get a gist of what I want to research. After having to stare at TED talks and peer-reviewed articles (GAH soooooo time consuming) etc.... I think focusing on the dependency on social technology would be interesting?

What do I mean by this? Well, how many times a day do you use your phone, your computer, tablet, etc.?
What purpose do your devices have when it comes to your daily life?
Can you handle facial confrontation or does it make you uncomfortable?
Can you handle a day without social technology?
Do you deal with any and all issues through social technology (this does not involve phone calls or face-time-like calls)?
Do your devices give you a sense of security? This is the question that tends to disturb people...

I work with technology in general so, in all honesty, I am biased. Technology is helpful, it's freakin' cool (better than sliced bread), and it's always changing. However, after considering it... yeah, I depend on social technology perhaps too much. Without message applications (I dislike facial confrontation), I'd be in the front seat of the struggle bus too many times to count.

Last edited:
Don't watch tedtalks unless you want to poison your mind with intellectual snake oil. At this point, asking if we should depend on technology is like asking if cavemen should have been asking if they should depend on spears. If the human race went cold turkey right now, we'd be plunged into the dark ages again and society as we know it would collapse. The intertwining of the internet and "technology" has become integral in how we run all our industry. From how we communicate, cure people of disease, transport food, grow food, raise cattle, teach our children, and so much more. Hell you can't even claim to handle a day without tech unless strip naked and go walk out into the middle of the woods. Because your modern day cloths were made with technology.

This is assuming you don't have a pace maker or are a diabetic.

Don't watch tedtalks unless you want to poison your mind with intellectual snake oil. At this point, asking if we should depend on technology is like asking if cavemen should have been asking if they should depend on spears. If the human race went cold turkey right now, we'd be plunged into the dark ages again and society as we know it would collapse. The intertwining of the internet and "technology" has become integral in how we run all our industry. From how we communicate, cure people of disease, transport food, grow food, raise cattle, teach our children, and so much more. Hell you can't even claim to handle a day without tech unless strip naked and go walk out into the middle of the woods. Because your modern day cloths were made with technology.

This is assuming you don't have a pace maker or are a diabetic.

But for you, do you find your development and maturity stunted by your dependency on technology? In all honesty, I am looking for personal experiences. Searching for a consensus or pattern... albeit I have already established both while discussing with others. But it is always interesting to gander at different view points.

When I refer to technology, I do not mean electricity and such. I am referring to social technology. I will rephrase that in the original post.

TED talks are just essays and fancy peer-reviewed articles spoken aloud to people with money. They are not bad, negative, ill-mannered, etc., but they are persuasive which is what a research topic should be.

But for you, do you find your development and maturity stunted by your dependency on technology? In all honesty, I am looking for personal experiences. Searching for a consensus or pattern... albeit I have already established both while discussing with others. But it is always interesting to gander at different view points.

When I refer to technology, I do not mean electricity and such. I am referring to social technology. I will rephrase that in the original post.

TED talks are just essays and fancy peer-reviewed articles spoken aloud to people with money. They are not bad, negative, ill-mannered, etc., but they are persuasive which is what a research topic should be.
Intellectual snake oil. You're doing yourself a disservice by even entertaining the idea that ted talks are anything but bad.

As for your question regarding social media? Yes I can live without shitbook, twatter, and all that other garbage because I already do. If you're talking about my computer and phone, yes I would keep functioning as a person. But I would be disadvantaged when it came to getting a job, doing research for college papers, and so on and so forth. If you asked about my social development, then I survived until 19 years old without a stable internet connection. Basically I had nothing till my own family became addicts as well. :P

Intellectual snake oil. You're doing yourself a disservice by even entertaining the idea that ted talks are anything but bad.

As for your question regarding social media? Yes I can live without shitbook, twatter, and all that other garbage because I already do. If you're talking about my computer and phone, yes I would keep functioning as a person. But I would be disadvantaged when it came to getting a job, doing research for college papers, and so on and so forth. If you asked about my social development, then I survived until 19 years old without a stable internet connection. Basically I had nothing till my own family became addicts as well. :P
Not all ted talks are that bad. I watched one where a british guy spent five years or somthing responding to spam mail, and it was hilarious. Wasn't presenting an idea, or trying to convince people of anything. The whole point of his talk was to show the ridiculousness.

For my Critical Thinking and Argumentation class, I have a research paper due at the end of the semester and am required to get a gist of what I want to research. After having to stare at TED talks and peer-reviewed articles (GAH soooooo time consuming) etc.... I think focusing on the dependency on social technology would be interesting?

What do I mean by this? Well, how many times a day do you use your phone, your computer, tablet, etc.?
Do you deal with any and all issues through social technology (this does not involve phone calls or face-time-like calls)?
Do your devices give you a sense of security? This is the question that tends to disturb people...

I work with technology in general so, in all honesty, I am biased. Technology is helpful, it's freakin' cool (better than sliced bread), and it's always changing. However, after considering it... yeah, I depend on social technology perhaps too much. Without message applications (I dislike facial confrontation), I'd be in the front seat of the struggle bus too many times to count.
I use my phone multiple times a day

Entertainment. Used to use a pc, but it died, so now I'm usually on my phone, reading on the kindle app or being on here.

I can handle facial interaction quite easily.

I can handle a day without social tech. Not like I use it for socializing much anyway.

No, not really. I can handle issues in the real world.

Meh, not really. It's a piece of technology that's constantly helping big companies collect everything I do in order to sell my info along with countless other peoples info for whatever price they want. Exactly how is that supposed to provide a sense of security?

I use my phone multiple times a day

Entertainment. Used to use a pc, but it died, so now I'm usually on my phone, reading on the kindle app or being on here.

I can handle facial interaction quite easily.

I can handle a day without social tech. Not like I use it for socializing much anyway.

No, not really. I can handle issues in the real world.

Meh, not really. It's a piece of technology that's constantly helping big companies collect everything I do in order to sell my info along with countless other peoples info for whatever price they want. Exactly how is that supposed to provide a sense of security?

So you strictly use your devices for reading/productive (rpnation can be productive if you do involve yourself in RP) content?

Regarding your last response, interesting. My job opposes that when it comes to security. I work in IT, network administration, and as a programmer so my work provides certain levels of security and comfort (ease of use).

Thank you for taking the time to ponder over my questions. I know that the masses rely on technology, but I am studying behavior and how it has changed mindsets. Still fleshing out the proper questions and such to ask... but thank you!

So you strictly use your devices for reading/productive (rpnation can be productive if you do involve yourself in RP) content?

Regarding your last response, interesting. My job opposes that when it comes to security. I work in IT, network administration, and as a programmer so my work provides certain levels of security and comfort (ease of use).

Thank you for taking the time to ponder over my questions. I know that the masses rely on technology, but I am studying behavior and how it has changed mindsets. Still fleshing out the proper questions and such to ask... but thank you!
I do use them for communication as well, but I usually prefer to call someone. That way I can get a straight answer. But yes, mostly.

And always glad to help.

I think tech has become one of the most greatest things ever. How people are able to just make this is just amazing. I love it, even though sometimes over abuse the power and try to make everything about them and all that, once you ignore it, its just like a rainbow and at the end is a pot of gold.

I think tech has become one of the most greatest things ever. How people are able to just make this is just amazing. I love it, even though sometimes over abuse the power and try to make everything about them and all that, once you ignore it, its just like a rainbow and at the end is a pot of gold.

In your daily life, how often do you use technology? Do you depend on it for connection, organization, or....?

More than average since my homework is 100% online, so it's for work and play. but uhhhhhh I'd say a good... 20 hours out of 24.
School, social interactions, teh lulz, writing.
Yes to both?
Yup.
All? No. Some? Ye.
Kinda. But that's because if I lost it I would lose all my work on it.
Once I graduate this'd be different. It'd probably be less so.

In your daily life, how often do you use technology? Do you depend on it for connection, organization, or....?

I Do use it in daily life. And I do depend on it quite a bit. Also for organization and for fun like games and stuff.

I'm glad you defined which sort of technology you meant, because I was going to come in expressing my utter love for forks, a piece of technology I'd rather not live without.

I'm glad you defined which sort of technology you meant, because I was going to come in expressing my utter love for forks, a piece of technology I'd rather not live without.
nintchdbpict000298589735.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back