• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Demesne(Interest Check)

DuchessDMV

What is with Fereldans and their cheese?
Hi there! Ancient here. I've had this idea for a little bit. The world is a place called Demesne. It is diverse with species of its own, unique, one of a kind creatures. But there are also a surplus humans. My characters are Lady Coudriet, the queen of Demesne who will not be around often at all. My primary character is Luke, just Luke. He is Lady Coudriet's summoned familiar. He has been ordered to restore peace by any means necessary.

Here is how it began:

The Great Hall was filled to the brim with people. They demanded justice, revenge, repentance, a response to their anger and frustration, shouting ichor at the accused. Nobles, peasants, fae, shifters, highborne, drakefolk, you name it. Few species were absent from this oh so important meeting. Those were the creatures that just weren't human enough to be here. The cursed, the wicked. Such as werewolves and vampires. Children of the moon and nightborne, so we called them. Demons were also missing. And the necromancers. They were the ones who deliberately chose the Antigod over the Almighty. They cause of this stupid feud. Couldn't they just learn to love and obey the Almighty like everyone else?

Those attending sat-- well, rather stood in the witnessing docks on either side of the massive circular room. In the pit, the the center of it all, a sunken in area between the witnessing docks. There stood the negotiator. The leader and figurehead of all necromancers. The so called chosen of the Antigod, the Lich. Otherwise known as Athelstan Merius. His hair was a slick black color and swept back from his bony, angular face where those lurking silver eyes resided. He wore that of a tattered noble gown that bore the colors of a highborne king. It was likely the real thing and would have looked nice back in its day. Before it was taken off of some poor dead fool's body. The only thing separating him from the angry commoners was a steady banister and far drop.

Her majesty sat in her mighty thrown at the head of the room, a large erection of floor from the rest the the witnessing docks where the commoners were. Queen Philomena Coudriet the third, the undisputed ruler of all of Demesne. Dressed in the finest Peau de Soie satin and Calais lace gown in all the land. She wore heavy accessories embroidered with a great many aquamarine gems. Not only that, but the hundred year old crown of Demesne sat atop her head, adorning at least a dozen rubies and sapphires. Her dark brown ringlets swirled around her face with every turn of her head.

She was an idol, a symbol of the land and all who lived there. You couldn't tell much about her here, sitting on the throne. She was much different there. Not many knew her well enough to know that if she didn't need to, she would not dress in such heavy clothing, but would prefer to wear the thin lightweight apparel of peasants all day. And that if she didn't have to act so civilized, she would go out and have fun with the peasants. And few knew that she sometimes went out and trained with the guards, helping them gain defense against both blade and the touch of fire.

No one but Luke. He stood beside her throne, guarding her protectively. Her personal assassin, guard and full time companion. Born from the queen's very powers and made from nothingness and fire. He could hear her thoughts and she his. Never alone. But it didn't take telepathy to know that she wouldn't be here at this very moment if it was not absolutely necessary.

This meeting was serious business. Queen Philomena and The Lich had come together to agree on the terms of a peace treaty. It was either they came to an agreement or the land would fall into war. And it was about to start.

Queen Philomena stood up and looked around the Great hall. The room fell completely silent in mere seconds and most of them sat down. The Liche stood ever silent, watching the queen with drilling eyes. After few moments of complete silence, the queen spoke.

"Athelstan Merius." The queen addressed him. "The Lich, so you are calling yourself."

"Philomena. It is a pleasure to be back in your great hall." The Lich said, a grin spreading across his lips As he bent over in a bow. "May I say that you are looking as lovely as ever?"

"Drop the formalities, Lich." Luke growled softly.

"And Luke Siphon!" The Lich said, standing up straight, grin still present "I'm glad that the queen's royal pet could attend. But is it appropriate that the animal is here at the negotiating table?"

"I am here merely for protection and the defense of my Lady's words." Luke replied, hands behind his back now as he glared down into the pit.

"Of course. Of course." The Lich replied cooly. "Shall we get this started then?"

"Yes." Philomena glanced over at the squire who was just off the side of the pit. He wrote everything they said down vigorously, each of their words. "Lich. We have been informed of open acts of Necromancy and that you have been training more necromancers. You do not deny this."

"I do not deny this." The Lich agreed. "We are quite ready to defend our right to perform this magic. We ask that you simply legalize the acts. Would it not be so much easier for everyone?"

A wave of objections erupted through the witnessing docks. It took a mere gesture from Philomena to quiet it again. "These are your terms?" She responded. The Lich nodded. A few moments of silence before she said, "We would discuss legalizing necromancy." Few gasps and whispers from the crowd.

"Lady Coudriet, you can't seriously be considering this!" Luke whispered, turning toward her.

"It is not a negotiation if we do not at least consider their terms, Luke." Queen Philomena responded. "I am not stupid. There must at least be restrictions."

Luke looked at her carefully for a few seconds before turning back toward the pit. "Yes, of course, my Lady."

Queen Philomena also turned back to the Lich. "We will consider these terms. But you can not expect to have complete free reign over your magic. There must be a limit. You shall need permission to lift the dead by the owner of the land you are present on. Besides in the wilderness.

"All do respect, your Highness. But we do expect free reign. We wish to have equal rights to that of regular magic users.." The Lich said.

"Just because our magic serves the Antigod.."

"If we allow this, the Almighty may damn is all! No one will stand for this. I don't think they should be able to practice necromancy within city bounds. Imagine the dead walking among us. We need to strengthen the restrictions, Lady Coudriet." Luke said to his master, outraged by this man.

"My dear Luke. Magic is all the same. Manipulation of elements and creatures! You should know that very well. Does a fire mage need permission to ignite a flame? A water mage to turn the tides?" The Lich glared firmly at him. "Why should necromancers have anything but free reign?"

"Regular mages do not twist and distort the bodies and souls of our long dead! A majority of mages use their powers to defend and with every day things." Luke stepped forward, fists clenched. "Necromancers may also do these things, but using our honored dead as puppets!"

"Enough!" Queen Philomena raised her voice. Only slightly though. She looked down at the Lich, studying him carefully. "Lich. We can not allow free reign of necromancy. You have a choice. You way stop your ways altogether. Or agree to our terms. There is no other way.

The Lich's eyes narrowed. His gaze like daggers on the Queen. "Then it is war!" And he turned, beginning to take his leave.

"No!" Luke climbed onto the banister, where he took out his double daggers, fire blazing from the blades. He jumped down, burning blades pointed toward the Lich. Just as they seemed to touch skin, the Lich erupted into a black mist and was gone. Luke's daggers hit the marble floor with a spark. The man stood from the crouch he had fallen to, eyes narrowed toward the now open door of the Great Hall. The crowd was in an uproar around them. Luke turned back toward his queen, blades still in hand. Queen Philomena had slumped into her chair, rubbing her temples. Clear everyone out, Luke. Then meet me in the palace. We have work to do. She thought to him before standing from her seat and walking out the door behind it.

You would be able to be any of the creatures listed up there or you could make up your own. I can explain each species if you want.

Anyone interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the interest ^^. Huge edit. Added the beginning of the story and somewhat explains the plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back