• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Deathless, Chapter 1: Ghost Airship OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Latyon

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It's hard to feel like it isn't the end of the world.

Spring has arrived after a relentless century of winter, but its horrible effects have left a lasting mark on the residents of the usually-temperate planet Vechern. Worse still, there are rumblings that the current spring is an illusion and that the winter will return.

In the industrialized nation of Skene, the worst ravages of famine have been held off, but the situation grows more dire every day. In a fit of desperation - or some would claim, inspiration - the Skenian military, in collaboration with society's most brilliant minds, launched an expedition in search of fertile, unexplored lands.

vechern-png.1144440

Artist's interpretation of the geography of Vechern

At the center of the world lies Land's End, where the world seems to vanish behind a thick, impenetrable wall of storms the size so vast that it has yet to be properly mapped. The maelstrom has existed as long as anybody could remember - as long as anybody who has ever remembered could remember. Its presence can be traced back hundreds of thousands of years, to the earliest annals of recorded time - many would call it eternal.

To date, no one who has crossed into the maelstrom has ever returned.

You can tell where this is headed.

The Overture is an airship with a capacity of 200 souls, one of three ships sent by the Skenian Navy into the maelstrom. You are one of these souls.

As the Overture crosses the threshold into the storm, its fate, along with those of the 200 souls on board, is sealed. And as these souls are about to discover - there's more to worry about in those clouds than high winds.

This is the first RP in the Deathless series by me. If it catches on, who knows.

Who Are You?

You're hungry.

Gods, you're hungry.

It's hard to understand hunger if you've never gone through it. Intense hunger infiltrates every facet of the mind, a persistent force that consumes thoughts and steers actions. It evolves into an all-encompassing obsession, eclipsing all other concerns. The relentless ache reverberates through the body, becoming a constant reminder that the pursuit of sustenance is the sole purpose. Famine's true hunger extends beyond the temporary discomfort of missed meals, eroding the boundaries between physical and mental realms. In the throes of deprivation, hunger devours not just the body but the mind, distorting perception and eclipsing reason.

Though you may not consider yourself fortunate, you're a lot better off as a citizen of Skene than you are elsewhere in the world. Food is meager - but it does exist. You arrive before sunrise every day at the airfield for a loaf of bread and a cut of meat - but one day, the routine is interrupted when a pair of gruff sailors picks you out of the bread line and brings you before Admiral Guinevere Navarro.

The admiral is young and intense, with wavy blonde hair pulled tight to her head in a no-nonsense bun. She calls you by name and reads off a file: your birthday and your name day, your height, your humour profile where applicable. She praises your skills, whatever they be, and then she makes you an offer.

The journey of a lifetime. The chance to make your mark in history as one of the first to travel beyond Land's End and to live to tell the tale. Your claim of lands waiting to be discovered and all the riches that entails, and three hot meals a day.

It sounds too good to be true.

THREE meals?

Making Your Character

Due to the nature of its place in the cosmos, Vechern experiences geologically frequent extinction-level impact events. This has led to incredibly fast speciation. Some common species include homids (humans), elfid (elflike), dwarvid (you get the picture). Perhaps the largest population on the planet are the vod, ocean-dwellers who cannot survive for very long on land; vod characters are currently restricted, on account of the nature of the RP mission.

If you want to be an elf or a catlady or a golem or whatever - just let me know and I'm sure we can find a way to work it into the world.

Really the only requirements are that your character's history explains why they ended up chosen for the Overture. Bear in mind - there's always potential for things like killing someone and stealing their pass, or using a false identity to gain access.

There are 200 people aboard the Overture. Many of them are in the Skenian military under direct command of Admiral Navarro, but there are also many civilians on board. Skilled laborers of all kinds were sought for this journey, for the goal in the end is to establish a colony. If you can think of a reason for your character to be on the ship, chances are it'll work just fine.

The Fleet

Three ships make up the mission. The first and the largest ship is the Overture (capacity: 200), where the story begins. The other two ships can be developed as the story progresses - feel free to contribute your ideas.

The Maelstrom

At the horizon, one spots its clouds rising up seemingly from beneath the ocean and stretching as far into the sky as they eyes could see. Its dense, thick walls churn and spin like the raging gas clouds of Jupiter, a mixture of deep grays and blacks and purples that triggers the call of the void in any who lay eyes on it. Sailing into the maelstrom is impossible, as the ocean itself appears to drop off before the cloud wall begins, a massive waterfall pouring into a seemingly infinite abyss. Until the invention of airships, crossing the maelstrom was deemed impossible; however, research indicates that pressure differences very high up within the storm may result in conditions mild enough for passage. It is this information that leads to the formation of the expedition.

As
the expedition will discover, things don't work the same way inside the maelstrom as they do in the regular world. Time and space occasionally suffer peculiar violations.

Tech Level: WW1, industrialized magical

RULES

1. Be kind.
2. Don't be unkind.

That's it! You guys are adults, I imagine, and it isn't our first rodeo. Standard RP shit. The goal is fun and to explore a fantastical new world, and to have fun playing off of each other's ideas.

Lore Drops
  • Is there any evidence of land beyond the maelstrom?
    • The admiral has, onboard the ship, a cutting from a plant specimen unknown to science. The plant from which the cutting was derived was central to the Skenian government signing off on the mission. It is theorized that seeds from the other side of the maelstrom made their way over.

Last edited:
Players and Characters
This RP will be open, and I will do my best to keep this post updated with anything important.

Latyon - Jäger, Admiral Navarro
Bronco -
Mr.Floppah -
HuffyLee -

Last edited:
Worldbuilding
Honestly - this is what I'm here for. I've had this world bubbling around in my head for the better part of a decade, I figured it's time to put something on paper.

Vechern is a temperate, wet planet orbiting a sunlike star in an incredibly visually striking area of its home galaxy. The star system it occupies hosts over a dozen large planets, each with their own unique ring and moon systems. As such, the interest in astronomy on Vechern is robust and ancient, and many of the world's religions tell tales woven through the movements of the planets and stars.

Technology varies with wealth, and the most industrialized nations on the planet have technology of roughly the WW1 era, with a hefty dose of Rule of Cool magic.

Playable Species​

Analog species - ones you've probably seen before.
Homid - human
Dwarvid - dwarf
Elfid - elf
Gnomid - gnomes (giants)

Species unique to Deathless
Vod - ethereal, water-dwelling humanoids who rule the deep ocean. Vod are often considered the "mother species" from which most other humanoid life derived. They are migratory and travel along the ocean's currents. During high tide, vod will gather in the miles-wide shallows of the coasts and await low tide. During low tide, the vod set up markets to hock their crafts, their food, and more. Trading with vod is a common occurrence for the coastal populations. Those wishing to barter with the vod are advised to carry things that are useful underwater or capable of surviving the briny oceans. Jewelry, in particular, is very highly valued. The vod's worldwide impact is perhaps best noted in language. While there are many languages on Vechern, most people are fluent in the trading language of the vod. This has the unintended, but powerful, effect of essentially providing a unified world language.
Ohnivak - Mythology tells of these mysterious phoenix-like beings, born from impact events.
Grotesques - These mysterious beings, with skin like obsidian and wings like bats, came with the long winter. Appearing seemingly from the sky, they are known to abduct whole towns worth of people, marking their conquests with petrified towers of flesh and bone. As the winter has subsided, grotesque attacks seem to have slowed.

Contributing to the Worldbuilding​

I want everyone who wishes to participate in worldbuilding to have a voice in it.

Vechern's biodiversity is nothing short of incredible, partly due to the frequency of mass extinctions caused by cosmic impact leading to rapid speciation. As such, there are loads of humanoid species.

Last edited:
Could you see some kind of changeling/ shapeshifter creature fitting into this? There's no better form of rapid adaptation than a creature that can change its form at a moment's notice.
Also, you talked about this world recently coming out of a long-lasting winter, so maybe the cat people could have a fluffier population to accommodate the cold, like Maine Coons and Lynx
If you imagine this world to be historically temperate, then the cat people may do better to be modeled after ocelots, carcals, or the average wild cat

Could you see some kind of changeling/ shapeshifter creature fitting into this? There's no better form of rapid adaptation than a creature that can change its form at a moment's notice.
Also, you talked about this world recently coming out of a long-lasting winter, so maybe the cat people could have a fluffier population to accommodate the cold, like Maine Coons and Lynx
If you imagine this world to be historically temperate, then the cat people may do better to be modeled after ocelots, carcals, or the average wild cat

Love it, love it.

So, sure, I could imagine a few different ways a shapeshifter character could work.

Metamorphosis I imagine would be a very energy intensive process, if it's biological. A chronically hungry shapeshifter probably wouldn't be able to make a full metamorphosis - which leads to some interesting conflicts.

Alternatively - and perhaps a more interesting angle - what if the shapeshifter is something that came from within the maelstrom? It could stalk around the ship observing the people until it finds the right moment to jump in for (insert creature/character motivation). Its shapeshifting could be fueled magically (maelstrom handwavey) or - better - the fact that the creature is able to shapeshift as much as it can implies that it is well-fed - which is unsettling in itself. This lends itself well to plot, because the entity would be learning about the world at the same time as the reader, so it works for things like exposition.

I do think it would be cute if the catpeople went through a fur thickening phase near the beginning of the winter that they are slowly on their way out of. There's a funny plot thread here about cleaning up the shed fur in a cat house.

Killer ideas! (maybe literally lol)
I like the idea of some kind of shape-shifting enemy of sorts. you said you've had this bouncing around in the ole' noggin for a bit. Are there any creatures you've been cooking up?
Also, I like the idea of the elvish species, so that's probably what I'll make my character

Oh, sure. Plenty. I'm updating the original post with them as I get to it.

Out on the open ocean, there are giant floating colonies of arachne which are like spider centaur driftwood pirate armadas.

The grotesques and the zmey will come into play later. Imagine like, animated obsidian statue demons.

The vod are up to alllllllll kinds of dark magic nonsense down at the bottom of the ocean

There's a salt flat nation we'll get to with these big six legged rodents they use as beasts of burden whose saliva has really strong medicinal properties.

Alright, just got off work and have been catching up on the thread so far. Time to establish a nation of scratching posts.

First up, let's build on that grasslands idea. Now initially I was imagining something more akin to the Serengeti of Africa, but then I remembered that the climate of Vechern is temperate. With this thought, my mind then shifted to something more like the region of Rohan and its Westfold. The region's mainly grassy plains, rolling hills, and it's dotted with clusters of up shooting boulders. Perhaps these naturally fortified chunks of land could serve as the foundation of their settlements. Picture something around the size of Pride Rock, perhaps also sporting a similar composition, but packed with a village worth of structures. Some lean against the gigantic rocks, others sit atop the flattest patch they could find, and some are even wedged into the gaps between these great stones.

The town is far from elegant, with each dwelling appearing more like the patches of others hastily mortared together. They tilt and jut at angles that could be described as comical at best, anxiety inducing at worst. The materials used in their construction are a hodgepodge of cobbled stones, foraged wood, and a mixture of slate and thatched roofing. That being said, they certainly do make the most of the space constructed. Entire clans, sometimes stretching back multiple litters, live and grow within these long standing family homes. As the clowder of felines expands, so too does their dwelling, lending a reason to why most structures seem to have a patchwork design.

So there's some development on what the settlements of the cat-people could look like. Basically, picture a bunch of Irish cottages crammed together on big rocks for the general vibe. I can't really imagine what their major industries/trades would be out in those fields, but maybe livestock is a big thing with them. There's also the matter of governance, which I think could resemble the confederations of the North American Plain Tribes. Essentially, the regional government was an assembly of the main chiefs from each village (13 settlements in the case of the Skiris) who met in council on broad topics. Within the singular villages however there would be separate leadership figures for certain occasions. This is to say that there was a stand-in chief for war, for hunting expeditions, for managing crops, ect. I couldn't find much on whether of not they were all officially below the tribe's head chief, but maybe we can take a route that determines who's in charge according to seasons. So during the harvest, harvest-chief's in charge. During war, war-chief's in charge. You get the picture.

Hope this serves to flesh out our developing cat nation, or at least speed up everyone's mental pistons.

No worries, thank you for your interest BuggaBoo!

Well, with Bug gone, there goes the need for the catpeople. We'll keep it in mind, thank you for the effort Bronco. I think the idea of a sort of ramshackle Irish colony atop Pride Rock is fairly interesting. I'd throw in that their buildings are all mostly-outdoor, being kitty cats and all.

That said, Huffy is leaning toward an elfid - so let's get cracking on elfids.

Elfids, the newest of the greater species of Vechern. "Elfid" is a magical classification, not a biological one. Essentially I would like elfids to be sort of a "what happens if" magic were available to take over many of the burdens of life. Over thousands of years, would things like arms and legs atrophy, while brains got bigger? What changes would happen in the minds of such creatures who were able to wield such power? Would they seem to operate on a faster wavelength than others? In a way, think of elfids as a magic evolution of people who live in close proximity to ley lines. Also, they're pretty much operational from birth - none of that shit with potty training and learning how to crawl.

Last edited:
For the arachne, they could possibly have a central base, possibly to refuel or resupply what they can't get from the ocean or their prey?
Also i've a few ideas for the two other airships, the Halcyon (Placeholder name) a heavily armed and armored airship, with guns to protect the others and the second could be just a supply ship, holding the rest of the stuff needed for the colony?
Also, do i just post my characters here or somewhere else?

For the arachne, they could possibly have a central base, possibly to refuel or resupply what they can't get from the ocean or their prey?
Also i've a few ideas for the two other airships, the Halcyon (Placeholder name) a heavily armed and armored airship, with guns to protect the others and the second could be just a supply ship, holding the rest of the stuff needed for the colony?
Also, do i just post my characters here or somewhere else?

I have a perfect inspiration for the arachne home colony: https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwi...iant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years

Halcyon works for me for the name of a ship. As far as the heavily armed and armored gunship, that would be the Overture. The second largest ship holds the majority of the non-military colonists with a contingent of military running the ship. The third ship - I'm not certain I want it to be just a supply ship. Maybe it's something they want to keep separate for some reason...not sure what though.

Do go ahead and post your character here. I don't really mind what format you use - as long as your profile gives me an idea of your character so that I can fit them into the world, you're golden.

I have a perfect inspiration for the arachne home colony: https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwi...iant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years

Halcyon works for me for the name of a ship. As far as the heavily armed and armored gunship, that would be the Overture. The second largest ship holds the majority of the non-military colonists with a contingent of military running the ship. The third ship - I'm not certain I want it to be just a supply ship. Maybe it's something they want to keep separate for some reason...not sure what though.

Do go ahead and post your character here. I don't really mind what format you use - as long as your profile gives me an idea of your character so that I can fit them into the world, you're golden.
Okay, thanks for letting me know about my ideas!

So for the opening, here's what's happening. You've been in the rift three weeks. This was not planned for. Once again, food is running low. But deep inside the maelstrom, we spot - I'm not sure - a fish, or maybe a tree?

Either way, it's big, it looks alive (?) and we don't really have any options left before...ahem. Anyway.

The fish...tree...thing. We're going to try to catch one.

The admiral is calling for anyone who has ever worked on a commercial fishing ship before to report to the Skyway for shock training. A second call for anyone able bodied and quick to learn.

This is basically the inciting incident that will draw our characters together for the first time. Just so you guys have something to start thinking about before I put the thread up.

I'm glad to see y'all are still interested! Yes, it is open - I will have the IC thread up tonight or tomorrow. How exciting!

Make up your own, I'm very informal. I don't expect everyone to know everything about their character yet - I would say just make sure you note the reason why your character was chosen for the expedition, or how they came to be on the ship otherwise

I've started the thread here!

1711005385178.png
Full Name: Viola Forger

Physical Description: She is of average height, with a slim build. Her skin is pale and smooth and her left arm is covered in tattoos, to accompany the tattoos under her eyes, speaking of eyes or specifically eye color, they are a cool gray. She has long black unkempt hair that comes down to her back and multiple piercings on her ears. Her choice of attire is a black crop top with straps, brown pants with a tool belt and ankle high boots. Her left arm is covered by a metal glaive which she uses for various purposes and she wears goggles when she works. Her choice of accessories consists of a choker with a piece of jewelry at the end of it.

Species: Elfid

Occupation Prior to Expedition:

Occupation as Part of Expedition: with her knowledge of engineering she is a very skilled repair person and builder. She is a third shift engineer

Notable Relatives: The only person of note related to Vi is a distant cousin she has never met. Most of her family is dead and she does not like to talk about it

Hobbies: Building, tinkering, cloud watching, sleeping, does drinking count?

a stiff drink
new tools
sleeping

Dislikes:
Bringing up her family
Having to repair something after a recent fix
Wealthy people

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Character Background: Most of the people on the ship will be Skenian citizens.

Wants:

Problems:

View attachment 1152001
Full Name: Viola Forger

Physical Description: She is of average height, with a slim build. Her skin is pale and smooth and her left arm is covered in tattoos, to accompany the tattoos under her eyes, speaking of eyes or specifically eye color, they are a cool gray. She has long black unkempt hair that comes down to her back and multiple piercings on her ears. Her choice of attire is a black crop top with straps, brown pants with a tool belt and ankle high boots. Her left arm is covered by a metal glaive which she uses for various purposes and she wears goggles when she works. Her choice of accessories consists of a choker with a piece of jewelry at the end of it.

Species: Elfid

Occupation Prior to Expedition:

Occupation as Part of Expedition: with her knowledge of engineering she is a very skilled repair person and builder. She is a third shift engineer

Notable Relatives: The only person of note related to Vi is a distant cousin she has never met. Most of her family is dead and she does not like to talk about it

Hobbies: Building, tinkering, cloud watching, sleeping, does drinking count?

a stiff drink
new tools
sleeping

Dislikes:
Bringing up her family
Having to repair something after a recent fix
Wealthy people

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Character Background: Most of the people on the ship will be Skenian citizens.

Wants:

Problems:

Hey Jams! Viola is rad, she will fit right in! I went ahead and made a character thread and linked to it, if you want to continue her profile over there.

I'll also add some more lore information about Elfids for you, since you chose that for a species.

I have posted some updates in the character thread to give more context to the types of characters people can make.

The art you're finding is immaculate 👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back