Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

One of my biggest "nopes' is usually when someone says they do not have any characters set up prior to our RP, I have loads of characters with detailed descriptions, personalities, motives and backstories for them.  Usually, this means that the person will take an extremely long time to reply to me, won't reply to me or I will have to nag them for a reply.   How could I expect to reply from someone who does not know their character?  I always fall into this trap because I get excited, then realized what happened and get disappointed all over again. -_-;   I try to avoid people who do not have, at least, some premades to show me.

Premades? Why reuse a character? That always seemed rather odd. Personally, I am careful about reusing characters, and one deadset limit for that is that they setting and so forth remain the same so the second story is simply a later point in that character's life, I will not take a character to a different story.

Besides, in my opinion, if you can't create a good, fitting, new character for a game, then either you haven't done enough research on it, or you aren't gonna be invested in the game (whether you lack inspiration for a good character, or the world/story doesn't matter to you.).

One of my biggest "nopes' is usually when someone says they do not have any characters set up prior to our RP, I have loads of characters with detailed descriptions, personalities, motives and backstories for them.  Usually, this means that the person will take an extremely long time to reply to me, won't reply to me or I will have to nag them for a reply.   How could I expect to reply from someone who does not know their character?  I always fall into this trap because I get excited, then realized what happened and get disappointed all over again. -_-;   I try to avoid people who do not have, at least, some premades to show me.

I rarely recycle a character, yes recycle cuz that is literally what it is. I prefer to make a new character from scratch to best fit the roleplay, since I join many different roleplays the characters I have would not fit the new ones I'm in, nor do I want to have to actually edit the sheet to fit it. It's just easier to start over than to change some details and lines from my old ones.

Besides, in my opinion, if you can't create a good, fitting, new character for a game, then either you haven't done enough research on it, or you aren't gonna be invested in the game (whether you lack inspiration for a good character, or the world/story doesn't matter to you.).

I'm sure you would agree that it's not always a matter of can't create a new character, and that it could simply be a narrative choice.  How would you feel about a player creating a rich and detailed character for a specific RP or setting, but because the original RP never really got off the ground, the player shelved the character for a later date?

Fyi, I have two such characters waiting in the wings.

what i often do as a way to Subvert the "Dead Parents" Trope is to have a Close Relative of the Character captured by an Associate of the RP's Primary Villain, with the Still Living and Breathing Relative Serving as a Motivator for Driving the Character into the plot. a lot of my characters tend to have really strong connections to their family and will literally resort to commiting grotesque acts of sadistic and gory violence against somebody who intentionally harms one of their parents or one of their siblings or cousins in any way.  whether physically or emotionally.

what i often do as a way to Subvert the "Dead Parents" Trope is to have a Close Relative of the Character captured by an Associate of the RP's Primary Villain, with the Still Living and Breathing Relative Serving as a Motivator for Driving the Character into the plot. a lot of my characters tend to have really strong connections to their family and will literally resort to commiting grotesque acts of sadistic and gory violence against somebody who intentionally harms one of their parents or one of their siblings or cousins in any way.  whether physically or emotionally.

So I'm a little confused, how is that a deal breaker?  Are you saying you'll walk away from people who use the dead parent trope to produce a overly tragic backstory?

For me I'll nope out when I see the other person isn't going to put any effort in. I mean they aren't going to try to help with the plot, they don't put any thought into their characters, and they just in general kind of sit like a lump on a log while I do all the heavy lifting of the roleplay.

So I'm a little confused, how is that a deal breaker?  Are you saying you'll walk away from people who use the dead parent trope to produce a overly tragic backstory?

it's a Response to a common Deal Breaker said by multiple posters and An Alternative i use to prevent myself from having to resort to said Deal Breaker.

it's a Response to a common Deal Breaker said by multiple posters and An Alternative i use to prevent myself from having to resort to said Deal Breaker.

Well most people aren't really looking for alternatives when it comes to their deal breakers. 

That's like if I said my dealbreaker is people who ask for adult x child relationships. That is literally an automatic nope sorry we're not going to work out.

I'm not looking for someone to say - well technically if someone is nineteen and dating a sixteen year old but they started dating two years ago when the nineteen year old was seventeen and the sixteen year old fifteen that wouldn't actually be breaking your rules.

So that's a way to get around your dealbreaker.

When that is not what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for justifications or work around. To me someone who is over eighteen dating someone who is younger eighteen makes me uncomfortable. I'm not going to work on that. I'm not going to bend on that. And I honestly don't see why I should. It's my dealbreaker. I'm not going to push other people to give up their dealbreakers and I don't expect them to push me to give up mine.

How would you feel about a player creating a rich and detailed character for a specific RP or setting, but because the original RP never really got off the ground, the player shelved the character for a later date?

I'm in a similar place, I've written a dozen character sheets since joining RpN and not a single RP has gotten off the ground. ☹

I might reuse details of a character, even the spirit of them but never a verbatim copy and paste since unless the new RP was near identical to the original I wouldn't feel they'd sit and since the RP didn't start I'm unlikely to be that attached to them. If I was lucky enough to find an RP that allowed a complete copy and paste I'm not against it, just never been that lucky.

I rarely recycle a character, yes recycle cuz that is literally what it is. I prefer to make a new character from scratch to best fit the roleplay, since I join many different roleplays the characters I have would not fit the new ones I'm in, nor do I want to have to actually edit the sheet to fit it. It's just easier to start over than to change some details and lines from my old ones.

I personally have over 80 characaters to choose from.  So, I don't really need to continuously make up more as I have a whole detailed world for them.  I join roleplay that works for my characters and what I feel like roleplaying.  

In the rare moment where I would want to create a new character it, it would have to fit into the world I have written for my characters.   I don't like to throw away my hard work.

Premades? Why reuse a character? That always seemed rather odd. Personally, I am careful about reusing characters, and one deadset limit for that is that they setting and so forth remain the same so the second story is simply a later point in that character's life, I will not take a character to a different story.

The characters that I roleplay are either from my original world that I created or a fandom.  I reuse characters because they are not poorly written and I have spent a lot of time developing hem outside of roleplay endeavours.   I have over 80 pre-made characters with complex personalities, backstory and details that allow me to know who my character is.  I am more into writing that most people and I think it is odd to constantly remake characters, some will inevitably be the same from previous ones.

I do not think that has anything to do with the setting, as most roleplay characters that people create are very generic.   I think you might be confusing permade characters with canon characters.    

Last edited by a moderator:
The characters that I roleplay are either from my original world that I created or a fandom.  I reuse characters because they are not poorly written and I have spent a lot of time developing hem outside of roleplay endeavours.   I have over 80 pre-made characters with complex personalities, backstory and details that allow me to known who my character is.

I do not think that has anything to do with the setting, as most roleplay characters that people create are very generic.   I think you might be confusing permade characters with canon characters.   

I think what he means is literally a character created for a specific story. As you are essentially making canons for your own original worlds or using originals from a fandom. A lot of people however do not stick to pre-estabilished worlds when roleplaying. Several people will make all new worlds for each roleplay.

In that sense using a character from for instance a world where dogs guard the souls of the dead and putting it in a world where cyborgs team up with djinn to fight space demons. Well your obviously going to have some kind of disconnect.

Well most people aren't really looking for alternatives when it comes to their deal breakers. 

That's like if I said my dealbreaker is people who ask for adult x child relationships. That is literally an automatic nope sorry we're not going to work out.

I'm not looking for someone to say - well technically if someone is nineteen and dating a sixteen year old but they started dating two years ago when the nineteen year old was seventeen and the sixteen year old fifteen that wouldn't actually be breaking your rules.

So that's a way to get around your dealbreaker.

When that is not what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for justifications or work around. To me someone who is over eighteen dating someone who is younger eighteen makes me uncomfortable. I'm not going to work on that. I'm not going to bend on that. And I honestly don't see why I should. It's my dealbreaker. I'm not going to push other people to give up their dealbreakers and I don't expect them to push me to give up mine.

it was a response to many people bringing up the dead parents issue, and how i tried to mention that there are other ways you can use your character's parents or other important family members as an excuse to easily motivate them into a similar type of plot. for example, instead of the character's parents being killed by the big bad evil dude. they could have been kidnapped by an associate of the big bad evil dude while being kept alive as slaves or something and that could be just as motivating and just as dark

it was a response to many people bringing up the dead parents issue, and how i tried to mention that there are other ways you can use your character's parents or other important family members as an excuse to easily motivate them into a similar type of plot. for example, instead of the character's parents being killed by the big bad evil dude. they could have been kidnapped by an associate of the big bad evil dude while being kept alive as slaves or something and that could be just as motivating and just as dark

Once again your misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. It is not people saying - well these are things that kind of irritate me but if there is a good reason for them i'll let it go. 

These are people saying - No if I see XXX issue I'm going to walk away. End of discussion. Do not pass go. Do not try to change my mind.

Like if you see the dead parent issue as no big deal or something you can work around that's fine. That's your opinion. But it's not about what you think of the issue. It's what standards these people have made for themselves.

And if one of their standards is No dead Parent. Than that means no dead parent. That's it. End of Story. 

No means no essentially.

Again as I stated above it's like someone saying well technically if a nineteen year old and a seventeen year old started dating when they where both under eighteen than that means it's not an adult x child relationship regardless of the fact that one of them is over eighteen and one is under eighteen now.

When I don't play like that. When I say no relationships between an under eighteen year old and an over eighteen year old. I mean NO RELATIONSHIPS. Period. End of story. You try to argue with me and I'm just going to ignore you.

Because it's one of my dealbreakers. That means that I am not going to do it no matter the circumstance or reasoning.

sorry for misunderstanding things. i guess i misunderstood the premise of this thread. i thought it was intended for people to give feed back on issues the other posters would walk away from, please forgive me.

sorry for misunderstanding things. i guess i misunderstood the premise of this thread. i thought it was intended for people to give feed back on issues the other posters would walk away from, please forgive me.

that's fine I figured it was something like that. yeah this is more a pet peeve kind of thread. people aren't really looking for feedback so much as a place to state their hard limits in roleplays.

Once again your misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. It is not people saying - well these are things that kind of irritate me but if there is a good reason for them i'll let it go. 

These are people saying - No if I see XXX issue I'm going to walk away. End of discussion. Do not pass go. Do not try to change my mind.

Like if you see the dead parent issue as no big deal or something you can work around that's fine. That's your opinion. But it's not about what you think of the issue. It's what standards these people have made for themselves.

And if one of their standards is No dead Parent. Than that means no dead parent. That's it. End of Story. 

No means no essentially.

Again as I stated above it's like someone saying well technically if a nineteen year old and a seventeen year old started dating when they where both under eighteen than that means it's not an adult x child relationship regardless of the fact that one of them is over eighteen and one is under eighteen now.

When I don't play like that. When I say no relationships between an under eighteen year old and an over eighteen year old. I mean NO RELATIONSHIPS. Period. End of story. You try to argue with me and I'm just going to ignore you.

Because it's one of my dealbreakers. That means that I am not going to do it no matter the circumstance or reasoning.

Amen!!! 

A major deal breakers for me is quite simple. I dislike roles that are to common such as Jock,High School student,etc. Also I'm fine with breaking down terms to make someone understand it. Yes but if said party automatically thinks it stupid or just plain pointless it's a big no. Next point i'm going to drive home at is well the those who want a extremely fast paced roleplay. I'll explain simply put if your building the scene up and they feel it's to slow that's fine. But I guess it my aesthetics fro being a in real life swordsmanship student of Kendo & Kenjutsu. The party is entitled to wanting a fast paced roleplay yes but automatically diving in without build up is a nay for me. Lastly if you act like a elitist based on a few exchanged words of conversation of collaboration to set the premise & tone for the roleplay. I've said more than enough on this matter.  

In swordsmanship many standoff can last what seems like eons. I'm patient as I savor the moment before going in to strike the Coup De Grace.

I think what he means is literally a character created for a specific story. As you are essentially making canons for your own original worlds or using originals from a fandom. A lot of people however do not stick to pre-estabilished worlds when roleplaying. Several people will make all new worlds for each roleplay.

In that sense using a character from for instance a world where dogs guard the souls of the dead and putting it in a world where cyborgs team up with djinn to fight space demons. Well your obviously going to have some kind of disconnect.

Some of those things I would never roleplay in the first place. :/

when it's obvious that they want me to play a character just for the sake of being a love interest

1 liners

that's basically it. i'm really into like...platonic relationships and character development. really not interested in romance... it's really difficult to find a RP partner, lol.

when it's obvious that they want me to play an OC just for the sake of being a love interest

1 liners

that's basically it. i'm really into like...platonic relationships and character development. really not interested in romance... it's really difficult to find a RP partner, lol.

applies to me too, or so it seems. Nowadays, the majority seems to be invested heavily in romance; unfortunately, such things irk me too much. Feels rather forced. As such, one of my major deal-breakers are mandatory romance; neither do I have an affinity for it, nor do I advocate it.

applies to me too, or so it seems. Nowadays, the majority seems to be invested heavily in romance; unfortunately, such things irk me too much. Feels rather forced. As such, one of my major deal-breakers are mandatory romance; neither do I have an affinity for it, nor do I advocate it.

Glad to see that someone agrees; you're a rare find. I was starting to think that I was the only one who felt that way, haha. It irks me too, a lot. 

There's actually a sizeable population of roleplayers who don't want to bother with the romance-focused or forced-romance thing.

But it appears they never speak to each other or join each others' RPs.

Except in the dice section. Guaranteed minimum of romance-centric RPs there.

Ditto what Grey said. I think the problem is that people assume romance is the default because the people who want pairings are the most vocal.

I don't mind romance for me it's more the people who think they can dictate your characters that turn me off. Like they basically have a fan fiction scripted in their head and they want you to play very specific part and if you deviate from that part prepare for sulking and hissy. fits.

Some of those things I would never roleplay in the first place. :/

Lol those were examples. The point I'm trying to make is you only roleplay in one universe that you made yourself. What people are trying to explain is that other people play in many different universes that they create for different plots.

so that being the case if you are putting characters in entirely new universes than it is more difficult to reuse characters from old universes.

for instance I have one roleplay that takes place in a fantasy world where supernatural creatures are the primary force on earth and humans are considered clever meat.

so if I were to take one of those humans who live in a world where supernaturals run everything and I were to put it in a different universe :

for instance a world were women fly around in mech suits fighting aliens.

the first human won't fit because they are from a different universe with different rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back