Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

passivity. i don't want to be the only one moving things along. for ooc chatter (even about the rp) it makes me annoyed (which i can understand if people aren't as chatty but i very much warn people that i am and thrive on ooc chatter about the rp) but when i see a lack of momentum in someone's posts, i can only take so much.

I’m not usually some grammar bug but it’s the spelling of Raizel that bothers me most I think, in that subject anyways. If I constantly type ‘Raizel’ or my name is just that.... people probably shouldn’t be typing it ‘Rezel’ or ‘Razle’

Also, when someone starts to break the site rules I just poof on them, as it has happened other places in the past

When rps have different factions, but the gm has only planned stuff for one of them and only included the others because they'd thought it would make more players join.

When rps have different factions, but the gm has only planned stuff for one of them and only included the others because they'd thought it would make more players join.

Related when the GM only really focuses on roleplaying with their friends to the point that they let them get away with breaking the rules or take their side if they have an argument with other (non friend) players

Dude I said no OCs. That INCLUDES, ESPECIALLY, OCxCanon. They said "well ur playing Canon like u want and I'm playing OC like I want!!!11!!!1!11" No, that's not how "no OCs" works.
I swear I hate OCxCanon sooooooo much. I feel like you have to have an ego to put your OWN character with someone else's character (unless it's a dating game like Doki Doki or Stardew Valley or smth) and why do I ALWAYS get stuck playing the Canon character? When do I get to play an OC? And why is it always Sans....

Dude I said no OCs. That INCLUDES, ESPECIALLY, OCxCanon. They said "well ur playing Canon like u want and I'm playing OC like I want!!!11!!!1!11" No, that's not how "no OCs" works.
I swear I hate OCxCanon sooooooo much. I feel like you have to have an ego to put your OWN character with someone else's character (unless it's a dating game like Doki Doki or Stardew Valley or smth) and why do I ALWAYS get stuck playing the Canon character? When do I get to play an OC? And why is it always Sans....

i prefer OC X OC Pairings over OC X Canon Pairings or Canon X Canon Pairings. most Canons don't go with each other and most Canons don't want an OC shoehorned upon them. but you can tailor a pair of OCs for each other.

i prefer OC X OC Pairings over OC X Canon Pairings or Canon X Canon Pairings. most Canons don't go with each other and most Canons don't want an OC shoehorned upon them. but you can tailor a pair of OCs for each other.
Idk, it depends on the Fandom for me. Some Canon characters definitely work together in my mind but I just really hate OCxCanon.

lol yeah anytime someone is hiding a 1 in a sea of explanation points i'm automatically going to be like...oh :lennymeh: so we're not going to work out. Good Luck in your searching.

Because that is the most childish bit of nonsense I've ever seen. I just cannot take anyone seriously who uses that.

On a related note : Yes if I say specifically no Blah. Do not come up to me acting like your going to be an exception to the rule. No means no.

I don't frankly care what you want to do. You contacted me. You should have read my rules. If you can't abide them than you can roleplay with someone else.

Roleplaying Games like D&D or Pathfinder are literally built entire parties of OCs in a published world of canons.

Roleplaying Games like D&D or Pathfinder are literally built entire parties of OCs in a published world of canons.

Well yes but the person was talking about when people ignore a specific request/rule they have.

It's one thing if it's estabilished that OCs and Canons are going to be part of the roleplay.

Its another thing if your partner tells you specifically - No OCs.

And then you turn around and make an OC despite their clear request not to.

It's rude.

Well yes but the person was talking about when people ignore a specific request/rule they have.

It's one thing if it's estabilished that OCs and Canons are going to be part of the roleplay.

Its another thing if your partner tells you specifically - No OCs.

And then you turn around and make an OC despite their clear request not to.

It's rude.

truesies. roleplay is a two way street. you need to communicate between both sides. if one person doesn't want to interact with an OC and somebody makes an OC, they should both find different willing partners. but i will say it is harder to find fandom roleplays that accept OCs.

Not taking in to consideration that some users use different layouts of the site. If your roleplay is written on a white background with a gray font, I probably wont join even if I find it interesting because it's difficult to read. Same with black fonts or neon on the dark mode of the site.

this isn't aimed at you in particular, but this did remind me of a point i wanted to bring up: I primarily work in light mode because it isn't jarring for me when i switch tabs.

that's why i use lighter fonts with white backgrounds, or transparent ones. i wouldn't want an rp partner to not tell me that they use dark mode so i can use the default and just ghost.

it's an easy thing to say: hey i work in dark mode would you mind not coding like that?

anywho, this wasn't aimed at just you, but as a general "hey pls don't make me feel bad for using light mode"

Now, I don't mind original characters, though I do mind when they don't fit into the universe that they're made for; if I see one more emo girl in some sort of anime roleplay, I'll actually cry.

It's not really something that's bad but just makes me go 'bye!'. Having to use actual images of actual people as appearances. IDK, I just can't with those. Another thing is having to post everyday. Not that I don't like it more like, it's not something I can do cause of RL.

There is a certain people on here that automatically make me leave an RP the moment I see that they are interested in the same RP as me.

I'm afraid that as a qualified critic of literature and a writer, I can't agree that 'I farted' is truly a story. There's a very good reason why all the books we study have more than two words, and Hemingway's six-word story didn't quite make it to the lecture halls. What some guy above said is right: there are too many things that a two-word 'story' lack, and it can't be called a story. Characters, plot, story, structure, a message even.

If two-word 'stories' are just as viable as 80,000 word stories, then there wouldn't be 80,000 word stories. In the writing circle, we've identified different amount of words as having different advantages and disadvantages, and varying people could write varying lengths of stories. I've only ever found single-sentence stories in Wattpad, but they tend to be more than two words long... And I guess they're good for marketing.

EDIT: To add, shortest viable length is about 100 words more or less, and it is called flash fiction. In education terms, it's a primary school/grade school composition.
If two things are equally viable, we would expect both to exist; and stories of both lengths exist.

Hemingway's stories are frequently used in writing classes as examples of how to write without dumping a bunch of superfluous garbage into your work.

Finally, flash fiction is taught and performed at all levels of education and is also commercially successful.

If two things are equally viable, we would expect both to exist; and stories of both lengths exist.

Hemingway's stories are frequently used in writing classes as examples of how to write without dumping a bunch of superfluous garbage into your work.

Finally, flash fiction is taught and performed at all levels of education and is also commercially successful.

What are you going on about? First, you necro'ed a post from I don't know how long ago, then you're basically repeating what I just said, and adding basic facts to the mix.

Yes, Hemingway is taught, but his six-word story is mentioned, not taught extensively in the lecture halls because there's simply nothing much to talk about.

Yes, like I said, flash fiction is written and sold to great success. Now, don't derail this topic any further.

I have yet to drop a RP myself (though I've been dropped), but these are my deal breakers:

When you RP an OC x Canon couple and the other person isn't willing to double (they just want their OC with the canon character but won't do a canon for your OC). If you find someone who wants to just play the canon character, then that's pretty cool, but absolutely refusing to double in RPs like that gets on my nerves.

When the character just solves the problem with the snap of a finger. That is the worst. And they move on like nothing even happened. It's different if it's a specific situation where the character is equipped with the skills for it, but to do that the whole time makes it not fun.

When the problem/the story itself is inconsistent and will move past something without resolution like it never happened. For example, we were just trying to figure out how to escape a curse or fight a monster/villain/general bad guy, but now your character is just chilling and eating a sandwich WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THE BAD GUY.

Mary Sues. So help me. I will have them killed by Mary Sue crusaders out of nowhere. (I may not have done that but my lord do I want to)

Forgot to mention this: When someone is overly attached to the RP (will act like they're the character OOC or like you are yours). OOC chats and the RP have a distinct line. OOC is where you and I talk as ourselves and maybe plot something in our RP.

I am naturally blunt, so I should say that no offense is meant here.

Live action faceclaims. You...do realize that's a real person who is either alive or once lived, right? I find it incredibly skeevy at best and tantamount to identity theft at worst to use a real person's face for a fictional character without their permission. The kind of people who use live action faceclaims don't tend to appeal to me in their writing styles, anyway.

On a similar note, "No anime faceclaims". Like, dude, it's an art style. Why give a shit? Now, if they're the "i-it's not like that you idiot baka! ヾ(。`Д´。)ノ彡☆" type, that's when you can draw the line and cry weeb. But you can usually tell that in their writing anyway. Point is, choice of art style has no bearing on quality of writing in my mind, with the exception of the live action stuff I mentioned.

Hard quotas for wordcount. Nothing wrong with a soft quota ("give me something to work with" and the like), but I've never been the best with description and I cannot ever guarantee that I'll be able to meet a hard quota of 3-5 paragraphs every post or whatever.

One liners. Opposite side of the spectrum. If there's really and truly nothing else to say, whatever, but please show you give a shit.

Romanticization of abuse. Whhhhhhhhy. Why is this a thing. Don't you roleplay to escape the craptastic parts of life like being treated like dirt? How is it remotely romantic for a guy to hit you--I'm sorry, your character--get drunk and generally act like an asshole? Now, if it's stated from the outset that this will be a dark relationship that is not meant to be positive, and if it's portrayed realistically, problematic or just plain bad relationships can be a powerful tool. But that's so rare.

First person tense. This isn't your story, it's our story. Write like it.

"i have nvr red a bok b4 in my lief". Or, the obligatory SPaG thing. I call it this because some of the things I've seen make me wonder how people get through life with such terrible English. Exceptions can be made if English isn't your first language, of couse, but I do need to see effort even then.

Breaking the rules. Don't like the rules, go to a site that has different rules. I'm not getting in trouble for your dumb ass.

There's a lot of "I know it when I see it" things I didn't bring up because I can't explain them well.

I only have a a few main ones that turn me off from RP, but they're somewhat related.

I can't play as a [boy/girl] because I'm not one!: Do you... do you realize you're writing fiction? I get having a preference to play as a gender, but claiming that you can't just seems lazy to me. There's a difference between "I prefer to play as a girl" and "I physically cannot play as a boy". Roleplay, for me, comes from my passion for writing, not for some romance wish fulfillment - though I do admit that I'm a hopeless romantic. It's frustrating for me to see people refuse to expand their writing and just stay in their comfort zone.

For "yaoi" RPs, I only play as an uke!: Uke/seme roles don't matter. This isn't an ero site. It's strictly against the rules, so that term doesn't matter. So when I read that, I either assume that you're looking for ero and breaking the rules, or your character will be a whiny boy that cries every step of the way just to fit stereotypes just because the author fantasizes about having a dominant character sweep them off their feet. It's just annoying, stereotypical drivel. On the same note, most "yaoi" culture annoys me. I enjoy MxM RP, don't get me wrong, but fujoshi attitudes are just annoying and creepy for me. Yuri gets a pass because, unlike yaoi, it has actual meaning for the LGBT community in Japan. I ranted for a little there, but you get my point.

Your male character isn't what I had in mind...: This is something I've gotten a lot. Most of the time when I play the male role in M/F romance, I'm met with two reactions. Either my character is too soft for the desires for some sort of abusive - but somehow romantic to them - relationship, or the asshole character I play is too mean and isn't immediately warming up to/agreeing to be with your character. If you want a mean character, I can give you that. He won't be in love immediately and, by the time their character convinces him to warm up, he'll likely stop being a dick to the person he loves like a normal human being. I have no problem with Stockholm syndrome/abusive relationship RPs. I'm a huge fan of horror and those sort of events fall into the genre I enjoy in horror. But please, don't treat abuse like it's romantic. It's abuse. It's a genre of horror/tragedy in my eyes.

Romance RP between two real people: I get having a crush on a celebrity, but something about RPing a celebrity with either an OC or someone they know IRL is legitimately disturbing to me. It feels like a gross invasion of privacy.

Sorry about the ranting there, but those are some pet peeves I need to get off my chest. If you read this and you think "oh shit that's me", you're never to late to improve! I think that goes for everyone in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back