Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

I can usually roll with whatever happens, but my two pet peeves are when romance becomes the sole focus of a plot when it shouldn't be, and posts that do nothing to move the plot forwards.

Both of these happened to me over the course of one roleplay a while back, and I gave up on it pretty sharpish. Their opening post featured no characters, and just set the scene, which I'm, fine with: that's how some people open. However, their next post, while featuring their character, had their character do nothing to interact with/mention/whatever my character, but also left no obvious way for me to reply in a way that wouldn't seem like two people writing two stories that just happen to be set in the same place/universe. It really bugs me. The same story also had a romance plot, which was 1/2 the main plot. It was a hunted/hunter style thing, which I usually stay clear of because they end up being a bit weird the majority of the time, but I was trying to broaden my horizons. Never again. The romance kicked in within a post of the characters meeting (finally), and it was full on anime style romance, complete with their character getting nosebleeds and screaming and stuff. Dropped that sh!t like a hit rock.

Why do anime people get nosebleeds in those situations anyway? I don't watch a whole lot of anime (i.e none), but a lot of pictures/posts on that theme feature nosebleeds. Or am I the weirdo who doesn't get that in those situations.

*walks up and sits* This is what I hate about other people uwu *sips from drink that came from nowhere*

I hate people that RP like that, never have, never will. They tend to not put any effort into their RP posts.

What really drives me up a tree is a few different things.

1. People who don't collaborate for the story, making me break my back to get it moving. Or if they basically give me yes or no fluff, then start drama out of nowhere to create interest in something that doesn't need to exist. It's ridiculous.

2. People who go for the razor-sharp edge. You know what I mean, the people who romanticize abusive sadboys who are just "misunderstood and need love." No dipwad, that's abusive, and if I saw it in real life, I'd call the police. As for other people, people who write well, edgy characters are fine, if you write them well.

3. Mary Sues (or turn their character into a Mary Sue) 'Nuff Said

4. People who push the plot too quickly. Dealing with this currently. I get that our characters just met, and that yours has a crush on mine, but don't push the plot too qui- and there you go, pushing it off a cliff. Generally when I deal with this, the people are doing the top two items, and don't care about my desires for the character.

rant over. thanks.

Mine is basically a mix of not reading over your posts after writing it for random goofs and typos but most importantly when you give me absolutely nothing to work with. PLEASE GIVE ME A PLOT HOOK, I BEG OF YOU! It doesn't matter if it's just your character snickering at mine, at least INTERACT with my damn character! Hiding in corners make super boring rps people!

Mine is basically a mix of not reading over your posts after writing it for random goofs and typos but most importantly when you give me absolutely nothing to work with. PLEASE GIVE ME A PLOT HOOK, I BEG OF YOU! It doesn't matter if it's just your character snickering at mine, at least INTERACT with my damn character! Hiding in corners make super boring rps people!

Same. Also What annoys me sooo much are overly emotional characters that literally drown everyone else with emotions to make them think it's all about them ..

I am naturally blunt, so I should say that no offense is meant here.

Live action faceclaims. You...do realize that's a real person who is either alive or once lived, right? I find it incredibly skeevy at best and tantamount to identity theft at worst to use a real person's face for a fictional character without their permission. The kind of people who use live action faceclaims don't tend to appeal to me in their writing styles, anyway.

On a similar note, "No anime faceclaims". Like, dude, it's an art style. Why give a shit? Now, if they're the "i-it's not like that you idiot baka! ヾ(。`Д´。)ノ彡☆" type, that's when you can draw the line and cry weeb. But you can usually tell that in their writing anyway. Point is, choice of art style has no bearing on quality of writing in my mind, with the exception of the live action stuff I mentioned.

See this baffles me. Because it's actually the exact same problem but you only ever see it applied to one or the other.

Like oh wow I'm stealing some real person's image never translates over to I'm also stealing a real life person's intellectual property by using anime/art work.

Unless your drawing your art yourself which I guess is you own prerogative. But then you could also use public domain images for real people too. It's not stealing as the image is available to the public.

( Also using the general you. Not trying to like call you out specifically you just reminded me of a point of confusion when it comes to the whole Real FC / Art FC debate. As it is so often hypocritical. Like oh I can't steal X type of art because it's icky. But Y type of art I can totes steal because it's different. )

Story time! I read a lot of fanfiction, and my rules are basically the same-- once I found a death note fic where the author said something along the lines of " death note and bb are not mine :( but if were i ld make bb kill and r*pe everyone :D" someone literally said that. Needless to say, i didnt read it. thought must be put into your characters. I generally stay away from people who dont use punctuation, or dont add anything to the plot. Roleplay is a team effort!

People who post multiple 1x1 interest checks and bump them to the first page. Like way to be rude and crowd out others. So I usually just block the person so there interest checks vanish.

I ain’t got time to be distracted by rudeness when I’m searching for partners

People who post multiple 1x1 interest checks and bump them to the first page. Like way to be rude and crowd out others. So I usually just block the person so there interest checks vanish.

I ain’t got time to be distracted by rudeness when I’m searching for partners
Are you talking about two or more than two? Because more than two is most certainly obnoxious, imo.

When I desperately try to implement my characters multiple times and every time I try, they get rejected.

When other RP:ers spend all their efforts trying to turn my character into a character their characters would like to sleep with, even though it's stated to not be a romance RP, and my character is blatantly both uninterested and uninterest-ING in the romantic regard.
Doesn't matter if I play a horrid monster or a kitchen chair, some RP:ers will still try to find a way to turn it into the prince charming they want me to play. That's when I roll out of that RP to save my sanity.

When other RP:ers spend all their efforts trying to turn my character into a character their characters would like to sleep with, even though it's stated to not be a romance RP, and my character is blatantly both uninterested and uninterest-ING in the romantic regard.
Doesn't matter if I play a horrid monster or a kitchen chair, some RP:ers will still try to find a way to turn it into the prince charming they want me to play. That's when I roll out of that RP to save my sanity.

reminds me of all the times other players at tabletop groups tried to use permanent duration spells to mess with the proportions and features of my asexual small statured women to turn them into thier ideal busty hourglass built red haired curvy maid seductress, when i played an asexual optimistic black haired tomboyish nerd who took offense of being turned into the party barbarian's masturbation material for a handful of hours by a polymorph spell. she was a Rogue, not some saucy tavern wench. she took great care of her figure, and i remember ditching the group after i slit thier characters throats in thier sleep. you don't take somevbody who spent multiple decades on thier own prefferred body and polymorph them into your fetish fuel for 14 hours. it is akin to an insult to one's image of themselves and a defamation of character. getting a 5'1" 135 pound body with the desired proprtions was hard already. at the end of the 14 hours when she got her strength and dexterity back, she killed everyone else, took thier stuff, soloed the final boss they were too incompetent to kill and ended the campaign via magic item abuse. i then left that group.

Last edited:
See this baffles me. Because it's actually the exact same problem but you only ever see it applied to one or the other.

Like oh wow I'm stealing some real person's image never translates over to I'm also stealing a real life person's intellectual property by using anime/art work.

Unless your drawing your art yourself which I guess is you own prerogative. But then you could also use public domain images for real people too. It's not stealing as the image is available to the public.

( Also using the general you. Not trying to like call you out specifically you just reminded me of a point of confusion when it comes to the whole Real FC / Art FC debate. As it is so often hypocritical. Like oh I can't steal X type of art because it's icky. But Y type of art I can totes steal because it's different. )
Okay but that's because using a real person's face without permission is actually creepy and stalkerish whereas if you were foolish enough to claim you made art that you didn't make you'd just be a dick

Okay but that's because using a real person's face without permission is actually creepy and stalkerish whereas if you were foolish enough to claim you made art that you didn't make you'd just be a dick
tbh I don't think I've ever seen someone claiming whatever anime image image they're using is their own art (unless it obviously is)

Also, please consider the possibility of your face being attached to someone's rp character: it would be bad enough if they were using your face to play an elf princess or something, but what if the rp character espouses beliefs you yourself do not believe? That would be incredibly creepy.

Last edited:

There are these people called actors that portray differemt kinds of characters frequently. It's their job. There are also people called models who are paid to portray a brand or image. It's not creepy any more than it's creepy to see Christian Bale portray Batman.

There are these people called actors that portray differemt kinds of characters frequently. It's their job. There are also people called models who are paid to portray a brand or image. It's not creepy any more than it's creepy to see Christian Bale portray Batman.
Except that Bale is aware that he is portraying Batman and, more importantly, is willing to do so.

Also, actors and models are far from the only ones who are used as Face Claims. Some people just use pictures of random people they found on facebook.

Also, actors and models are far from the only ones who are used as Face Claims. Some people just use pictures of random people they found on facebook.

Eeeek. I couldn't fathom using someone's image I found on facebook. That's seriously creepy.

as someone who's had his face used as a faceclaim twice before on other random rp sites, i'm honestly indifferent. the characters were nothing like me, and reading the character sheets gave me a good laugh and that's about it.

i'd be a lot more annoyed if someone stole my art, which i actually spend hours making unique... meh, not trying to be contrary but thought i'd offer my perspective.

Alright. This may turn into a rant.

My first qualm is age gaps. If one member of the pairing is not of legal age, and you refuse to change their age, I’m gone. I’m currently dealing with this, though they seem compliant right now, I’m about to flip out.

Second qualm, little effort right off the bat. Same person I’m dealing with by the way, didn’t even give their OC a last name.

I’m not kidding. I asked for a character sheet, and they pretty much crapped one out for me, adding stupid drama in the backstory for fluff and length.

Along those lines, your character does not fit in the role you applied for. I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but if the story calls for someone to play the assistant, and you give me a rude, invasive, and generally bad character, I’m gonna want to leave.

Effort is key to me. If I give you a good length starter, and you reply back with two paragraphs of fluff, I’m gonna hate you from the start. Adding to the fact that I have to talk to you OOC to even understand what the heck your character did with my character.

Then when I try to fix the situation OOC, because you’re treating my character as an object. Depending on the reply I get back, I might just drop this person.

Sorry for the rant, but yeah, that’s what I hate.

Romanticization of abuse. Whhhhhhhhy. Why is this a thing. Don't you roleplay to escape the craptastic parts of life like being treated like dirt? How is it remotely romantic for a guy to hit you--I'm sorry, your character--get drunk and generally act like an asshole? Now, if it's stated from the outset that this will be a dark relationship that is not meant to be positive, and if it's portrayed realistically, problematic or just plain bad relationships can be a powerful tool. But that's so rare.
THIS THIS THIS

i used to rp with someone who tried to convince my friend to do non con things for "the angst of it" and like??? why ???? would you???? do that?????

aside from this i also hate people who don't research things. like if you're playing a character with a certain condition can you at least research it a little so you don't end up mocking it??? smdh.

I gotta add another qualm:

The curvaceous bombshell that is 5'5 and weighs 50 Ibs.

No, Jessica, she literally cannot be a curvaceous bombshell with that height to weight ratio. I'm pretty sure if she's not dead, she ain't able to properly function, so she shouldn't be able to run or any of that jazz either.

I gotta add another qualm:

The curvaceous bombshell that is 5'5 and weighs 50 Ibs.

No, Jessica, she literally cannot be a curvaceous bombshell with that height to weight ratio. I'm pretty sure if she's not dead, she ain't able to properly function, so she shouldn't be able to run or any of that jazz either.
Wait, seriously? No way, I refuse to believe someone actually submitted that O.O

Wait, seriously? No way, I refuse to believe someone actually submitted that O.O
I kid you not, someone once made a "curvaceous bombshell" that had that height to weight ratio. I swear, some people are in a "who weighs the least?" Competition even though it is extremely unrealistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back