Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Occasionaly a guy will try to turn the rp into a smut fest by forcing one sex scene after another even if it soes nothing for the story. I mean yea a little exsplicit here and there can be good but if he gets too pushy and too frequent im out.

I will say "yes" to an RP with these agreements.

1. Less than 2 paragraphs per post.

2. If it isn't too horrible.

3. I'm neither too early nor too late to be in the rp.

4. If there is no only "good" characters accepting.

I hate to do two or more paragraphs per post. I'm kinda rushy and crap, so this is a "fuck this" for me.

I don't like ones that feels like the noobiest of rps or rps made by a 12-year-old.

I feel weird that I have to read a bunch and saying how late and messy for me.

I don't like criticism. At all. I just feel like if its "good" I feel like I'm too... Bad at it.

Except character needs can be affected by the gamestyle. Perhaps the gm tends to be the driving force of the story, more than willing to bring in story to push characters. With that kind of gm...

Ah I see what the trouble is, we have different definitions of GM style.  In the above you're referring to the narrative structure (plot driven vs character driven) of a particular roleplay.  But even with that framing, I'm still unsure why a premade character would be less suitable than an OC—which is our point of contention.

My definition of GM style pays respect to the qualities that tend to stay with the RP creator regardless of genre, setting, and narrative structure.  I'll use myself as an example.  One roleplay that I could see myself creating is an open world (sandbox), Gotham city (DC Universe), where players would take the roles of any of the well known heroes and villains of DC's infamous city.  

To recap: that would be a fandom RP, player driven, superhero genre, free form, with little world building required on my end.

Another roleplay I could see myself creating would be a Roman gladiator games with a supporting dice system.  The players would create characters with stats, while I as the GM, would have a heavy hand in their story progression.  The stats and dice, along with their choices, would determine if they survive or not.

To recap: semi historical, GM driven, dice system, w/moderate chance of player death.

A lot has changed, but I would argue that my GM style hasn't.  The way I view style is a description of who the GM is; it's something they can't divorce themselves from.  It's how they resolve inter-player conflicts, it's how they collaborate, it's their willingness to compromise, it's the type of stories they enjoy telling.  With that in mind, if my style clashes with a GM's style, it will always be a deal breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Occasionaly a guy will try to turn the rp into a smut fest by forcing one sex scene after another even if it soes nothing for the story. I mean yea a little exsplicit here and there can be good but if he gets too pushy and too frequent im out.

ugh hate that. or people who don't take no for an answer. like look i said i wasn't comfortable with X either accept it or leave. But no it's like ooh come on don't be difficult X isn't so bad your not even trying it. or ugh I can't believe your so prudish you totally wasted my time. 

like eff you a-hole. i told you no at the beginning. not my fault you didn't listen.

ugh hate that. or people who don't take no for an answer. like look i said i wasn't comfortable with X either accept it or leave. But no it's like ooh come on don't be difficult X isn't so bad your not even trying it. or ugh I can't believe your so prudish you totally wasted my time. 

like eff you a-hole. i told you no at the beginning. not my fault you didn't listen.

Tell them that you don't want tea.

I was reminded of this during a pet peeve discussion. People who have unrealistically explicit expectations for my character.

To the point where they give me a list of face claims and are like : you must play one of these people.

Or when someone tells me my character isn't "pretty enough" for a roleplay. I nope out faster than you can say "shallow."

I'd have to say when my character has figured out who the hidden villain is, and uncovered their plot without use of Meta, and I am somehow still not allowed to move to defeat them because there hasn't been a 'reveal' yet, I'm out. 

Also, deceptive inner dialogue (or suspicious lack thereof) . If there are five of us sitting at a table, and we know one of us is the villain, every single person at the table should not be sitting there wondering who the villain is. It's misleading. There are other ways to dissolve doubt outside of an outright narrative lie...

I'd have to say when my character has figured out who the hidden villain is, and uncovered their plot without use of Meta, and I am somehow still not allowed to move to defeat them because there hasn't been a 'reveal' yet, I'm out. 

Also, deceptive inner dialogue (or suspicious lack thereof) . If there are five of us sitting at a table, and we know one of us is the villain, every single person at the table should not be sitting there wondering who the villain is. It's misleading. There are other ways to dissolve doubt outside of an outright narrative lie...

The visual of five people sitting around a table asking each other - Are you the Villain? just makes me crack up. Thanks for that.

Little to no communication, feedback or input from my partner. It seems some people have this idea that I have physic powers and I'm able to know every pet-peeve, dos and don'ts, preferences, etc. automatically. I'm flattered you think so highly of me but come on. As for input and feedback, I love spewing out my terrible ideas to people as much as the next person. But, I don't want to feel like I'm talking to a wall that occasionally responds with "I like that" or "That could work". Ask questions, add ideas be involved.

On the less messy ramble side, one-liners and anything that isn't third-person post perspective is also a no from me.

I tend to walk away when I feel like I didn't get the memo everyone else got.  

Example:  There was a super detailed rp I joined with amazing, well written lore.  As I looked at the characters being submitted and read through the ranking system, I was really into it!  Most of us would be lowly soldiers kind of figuring out our role in this war stricken world.  I was pumped, until we got into the game and it felt like rank didn't matter at all.  Soldiers were informally talking with the highest ranking chiefs, and joining in on conversations with generals like their opinions mattered.  I was kind of shocked.  

This behavior left my character stranded, she was designed to be the newbie soldier, trying to find a role model and really stick with them.  But as I tried to hint at people to interact with my character with tags and descriptions at how cool my character thought their character was.  I got nothing, they all felt they had to be involved in the the war room talk.  It kind of sucked and nothing came of it in the end because it was 6 people arguing over what the plan was without anyone making a decision.  So everyone just sat waiting for someone to respond and no one ever did.  

Also, with the new hosted projects system if there are like 3 different forums and within those forums there are 3 different threads each it's a pain to click through them all.  Sometimes I need the 4 pages of lore while trying to ask questions in the question page separate from the OOC page where I'm trying to interact with other players.  I'm all for having a few tabs open if I need to but devoting 6-8 tabs for one roleplay that I'm constantly clicking through is a pain in the butt.  

Fandom RPs whose GMs don't enforce the rules of the settings they play in - for example, RWBY characters should have color-related names, Sailor Senshi should have sailor collars, and Homestuck trolls should have six-letter names. If they don't enforce these things, I think it betrays a lack of respect for the worlds they're playing in, and I can't endorse it with my presence. This is the fastest way to make me quit your RP. Know and respect the setting you are using.

(I know the sailor collars are debatable, but Monty Oum has stated RWBY characters have color-related names, and Andrew Hussie has stated that a troll's name is "the closest pair of 6 letter words matching the sound" their lusus gurgles.)

High post length minimums (4+ paragraphs), especially when there's not an exception for things like conversation, or similar situations. Also, roleplays where every post is a one- or two-liner. I'm sure these work for other people, but I know I'll feel pretty out of place in roleplays where either of those post lengths are the norm.

Echoing what @KillerQueen said about third-person perspective - I have no idea why you'd use second-person for roleplay (except maybe some special kind of 1x1), and first-person is really jarring to read in-character because that's what I expect to be used OOC.

Slice of Life is a genre of rp that I find incredibly boring. If I wanted to simply live a life, I'd go outside and do that. Rping is about telling a story (and books I never read are slice-of-life books).

So while I don't join this genre of roleplaying, there are times when rps dwindle and meander. Let me just say. If our epic quest starts looking like Slice of Life, all my muse instantly zaps away, and you'd be lucky to get 4 sentences out of my posts. Until I inevitably just stop posting altogether.

I understand there are people that LOVE this style of roleplay, and that's fine. But I honestly can't stand it. It bores me to no end.

So I walk away when our rp starts looking like a drama-filled dating sim, instead of the epic fantasy with insane plot and awesome battles like it was originally meant to.

When a RP constantly derails from the plot. Yea i understand that sometimes the players and GM lose track of the plot to explore uncharted territory... but it shouldn't happen every three pages when we are trying to do something important....

Slice of Life is a genre of rp that I find incredibly boring. If I wanted to simply live a life, I'd go outside and do that. Rping is about telling a story (and books I never read are slice-of-life books).

Couldn't agree more. Horses for courses and if you happen to like them more power to you, but I RP/write/read for escapism, not to do something I could do as me... :|

It's threads like this that make me love not being a cynic. A lot of this stuff is obviously stupid (godmodding, metagaming, poor CS', etc.), but a few of the other things mentioned amounts to really just being picky. I almost feel bad for people who become too analytical...

Just my two cents.

It's threads like this that make me love not being a cynic. A lot of this stuff is obviously stupid (godmodding, metagaming, poor CS', etc.), but a few of the other things mentioned amounts to really just being picky. I almost feel bad for people who become too analytical...

Just my two cents.

You are entitled to your opinion of course but I would rather you didn't post in this thread negating the entire purpose of it's existence. If you don't like the purpose of the thread there is nothing saying you have to post here. 

People are entitled to their opinions and own standards without having to face shade for having them. 

Whoops wrong thread. But my point still stands it's kind of a little shady to just post in a thread dedicated to airing people's standards with - lol you gais so picky. 

You can disagree with some of the dealbreakers but they are called that for a reason. People have the right to walk away from a roleplay for whatever reason they want. Just like they can join a roleplay for a multitude of different reasons. You can agree or disagree but just assuming people are being picky when they might have genuine personal reasons for something is a little rude tbh.

I think I might have found a new deal breaker. I don't say this to moan, although I accept there at least a little whine to it. I'm mostly curious to know if there are others who've experienced this and feel the same.

Admittedly I've only been here around 2 months, but despite joining more than a dozen RP's in that time only one got so far as to start and that died after only a page. That in itself doesn't annoy me, that's just par for the course, but what is irksome is when they die because the GM just disappears. For the record I don't mean when there's just no interest, but there have been half a dozen or more people submitting CS, multiple pages of OCC discussing, world building, etc. and then nada.

On one occasion the GM said they were too busy with school to continue, only to post an interest thread for a new RP just days later. I didn't even open that interest thread and now feel that RPs started by a GM who has dropped another game no explanation is deal breaker all by itself, which I recognise only further limits my chances for writing so the irony isn't lost on me. :|  

I think I might have found a new deal breaker. I don't say this to moan, although I accept there at least a little whine to it. I'm mostly curious to know if there are others who've experienced this and feel the same.

Admittedly I've only been here around 2 months, but despite joining more than a dozen RP's in that time only one got so far as to start and that died after only a page. That in itself doesn't annoy me, that's just par for the course, but what is irksome is when they die because the GM just disappears. For the record I don't mean when there's just no interest, but there have been half a dozen or more people submitting CS, multiple pages of OCC discussing, world building, etc. and then nada.

On one occasion the GM said they were too busy with school to continue, only to post an interest thread for a new RP just days later. I didn't even open that interest thread and now feel that RPs started by a GM who has dropped another game no explanation is deal breaker all by itself, which I recognise only further limits my chances for writing so the irony isn't lost on me. :|  

This is something I NEVER do. If I start a rp. Im literally in the thick of it, trying to keep it afloat even when it starts dying. I also find this incredibly rude. We've all experienced this, joining a rp that seems really cool, but then the creator just vanishes. Ugh.

1. Timing

this preference changes depending on how much downtime I have in my life. Only one thing for certain, I run away from people who expect me to wait very long (2+ weeks) for one post. My inspiration doesn't hold out for that long. Best not to waste their time!

2. post length
I might sound mean, but I generally avoid partners who post less than 2 paragraphs. I'm just so adapted to length and I enjoy it so much, that going back to short posts makes me feel like I'm not satisfied hahaha

BUT this isn't a super strict thing, if a person is really interesting, I HAVE accepted short posts and very much enjoyed them. So I guess take this lightly. Haha

3. age gaps, weird pairings
like those incest pairings or student/teacher, master/slave, other such "taboo" things. I just.. don't.. like it. within 5 years is my age mark, as long as adults aren't being paired with teenagers. 

4. Signs of creativity... or lack thereof.
This is a tougher one, because it isn't as if I am psychic or anything. I might come off too judging. But if I feel the person is relying on me so much that I feel like I am the only one truly brainstorming... I will, as politely as I know how, tell them I have lost interest.  I've dealt with a person for 4 months who couldn't proceed anything with the story without me holding her hand through it and pretty much guiding everything. She also falls into the category of #5 below, so these two complaints are coming from that experience feeling like a chore.

5. Pre-made characters set for me
Speaks for itself. I like to create my own characters. I'm more lenient on preset roles, but if I feel generally too restricted, I'm out <3

Anyway, those are the main things. Even if some of them aren't too strict. They are notable factors to me saying nope! Aside from the obvious, if I'm talking with them and don't feel like we're on the same page, I wont waste their time Haha

When someone is going back and forth between being angry and happy, or running away from the RP and then being like "omg why isn't anyone chasing me?" Like, it didn't even make sense for you to run away. We aren't going to go out of the story just to follow you. Our characters are gonna be like "wut" and then we're gonna go on our MERRY WAY

When someone is going back and forth between being angry and happy.

Yeah, well that's just bad writing in general (unless the character is meant to be unbalanced). The rest is just them wanting to be the centre of attention, which we're all guilty of from time to time but I just try to keep my ego from stopping other people having fun.

Yeah, well that's just bad writing in general (unless the character is meant to be unbalanced). The rest is just them wanting to be the centre of attention, which we're all guilty of from time to time but I just try to keep my ego from stopping other people having fun.

Yeah, and sometimes it's okay to do something dramatic because otherwise what will happen? But like, the people who do it constantly or do it out of nowhere get under my skin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back