• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom (Dead) Family and Purpose (DanMachi inspired RP)

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
After a moment, he opened his eyes, reflective atmosphere gone as he reached for the teapot and poured himself a new cup. "Badb may like to play word games more than most, but if she's really hiding something from you, it's for good reason. Part of family is knowing that, accepting it, and trusting that they'll tell you when they're ready. Or knowing when to push, anyway." He sipped from his refilled cup before looking back up at Akemi with solemn eyes. "Is there anything else you would like to know?"

"There is one thing..." Akemi returned her katana back into its sheath and placed it down on the table, letting Miach take a closer look as she continued.

"The Dungeon... Badb-sama said talked about being an exploration-based Familia but... I still don't know what that means? It can't be as simple as going as far as I can go while killing monsters, is it?" Truth be told: Akemi was still not abundantly clear on her role as an Explorer. Clearly she was expected to fight as a part of an exploration Familia; every other person she talked to in Orario mentioned fighting experience whenever the dungeon came up as a topic.

"I won't lie: I haven't fought any monsters before, even back in the Far East. My
Ko-ryū wasn't close to the capital, but I never really got to see any... Is that a bad thing? Not knowing how to fight monsters?"

"The Dungeon... Badb-sama said talked about being an exploration-based Familia but... I still don't know what that means? It can't be as simple as going as far as I can go while killing monsters, is it?" Truth be told: Akemi was still not abundantly clear on her role as an Explorer. Clearly she was expected to fight as a part of an exploration Familia; every other person she talked to in Orario mentioned fighting experience whenever the dungeon came up as a topic. "I won't lie: I haven't fought any monsters before, even back in the Far East. My Ko-ryū wasn't close to the capital, but I never really got to see any... Is that a bad thing? Not knowing how to fight monsters?"
Miach blinked, not quite expecting this line of questioning - he quickly adjusted though, thinking of how to explain the basic dynamics of Orario to someone who was clearly unfamiliar. After looking around the room, his eyes settled on the lantern sat on a corner of his desk, small purple sliver of crystal hovering in the middle of the contraption and giving off the glow lighting the room. He picked up the device and set it between them with a thoughtful look, tapping it on the top. "This is a magic crystal lantern. Outside of Orario, they are less popular as this city is the sole exporter of magic crystals and there are many other, more important devices that use them, but here almost every room has at least one. The crystal inside giving off the energy that turns to light - the magic crystal - is the main 'job' of a Dungeon-exploring adventurer." He looked up at Akemi to make sure she was following so far.

"You sell them, and optionally any other materials you might find in the Dungeon such as item drops or plants and alchemy materials, to the Guild. Guild prices are set and a bit low, but quests can pay more for items. The catch is that most of these things are related to monsters, either being collected from their corpses or their habitats in the Dungeon." Its use as a set piece passed, Miach set the lantern back to where it was out of the way. "Additionally, as a registered exploration Familia, once you are much more capable and have a few more members - able of getting to the 20th floor, at the very least - you'll be periodically required to meet a quota. A certain number of materials, mapping an unexplored section of the Dungeon, reaching a new floor depth... There's a penalty if you can't meet it, but it's not unbearable and many Familia are currently paying it as progress has stagnated."

He finally glanced at the sheathed katana on the table, having not taken an interest in it before now. "Given what I know of the Far East, especially outside the capital, it is surprising to hear you've never faced a monster... But even if you had, it might have been poor reference. Those on the surface, outside the Dungeon, are degenerated from their kin of over a millenia ago that came straight from the depths. Far weaker, with smaller or even no magic stones. But to answer your question... I don't know. From what I am to understand - as we deities are not allowed to enter the Dungeon ourselves - there is no 'preparing' someone can do for the Dungeon. I think it's best if you just not rush. Doubtless, Badb plans on telling you the same - she got that money so that you won't have to worry about funding for now and can take things at your own pace." As the god picked up his cup to take another sip and ease his throat from talking so much, a knock sounded on the door.

"Heeey~ You two done talking in there yet?" The goddess's impatient voice sounded from outside, and Miach looked to Akemi for confirmation that she had nothing else to ask.

Miach blinked, not quite expecting this line of questioning - he quickly adjusted though, thinking of how to explain the basic dynamics of Orario to someone who was clearly unfamiliar. After looking around the room, his eyes settled on the lantern sat on a corner of his desk, small purple sliver of crystal hovering in the middle of the contraption and giving off the glow lighting the room. He picked up the device and set it between them with a thoughtful look, tapping it on the top. "This is a magic crystal lantern. Outside of Orario, they are less popular as this city is the sole exporter of magic crystals and there are many other, more important devices that use them, but here almost every room has at least one. The crystal inside giving off the energy that turns to light - the magic crystal - is the main 'job' of a Dungeon-exploring adventurer." He looked up at Akemi to make sure she was following so far.

"You sell them, and optionally any other materials you might find in the Dungeon such as item drops or plants and alchemy materials, to the Guild. Guild prices are set and a bit low, but quests can pay more for items. The catch is that most of these things are related to monsters, either being collected from their corpses or their habitats in the Dungeon." Its use as a set piece passed, Miach set the lantern back to where it was out of the way. "Additionally, as a registered exploration Familia, once you are much more capable and have a few more members - able of getting to the 20th floor, at the very least - you'll be periodically required to meet a quota. A certain number of materials, mapping an unexplored section of the Dungeon, reaching a new floor depth... There's a penalty if you can't meet it, but it's not unbearable and many Familia are currently paying it as progress has stagnated."

He finally glanced at the sheathed katana on the table, having not taken an interest in it before now. "Given what I know of the Far East, especially outside the capital, it is surprising to hear you've never faced a monster... But even if you had, it might have been poor reference. Those on the surface, outside the Dungeon, are degenerated from their kin of over a millenia ago that came straight from the depths. Far weaker, with smaller or even no magic stones. But to answer your question... I don't know. From what I am to understand - as we deities are not allowed to enter the Dungeon ourselves - there is no 'preparing' someone can do for the Dungeon. I think it's best if you just not rush. Doubtless, Badb plans on telling you the same - she got that money so that you won't have to worry about funding for now and can take things at your own pace." As the god picked up his cup to take another sip and ease his throat from talking so much, a knock sounded on the door.

She knew what all the talk essentially meant when Miach carefully explained the details of Dungeon-Exploration and the people employed for it. There was little else way it could be twisted; Akemi was to be a mercenary to be hired for slaying monsters and gathering what valuables of worth from the Dungeon - a Ronin. She wasn't by actual metrics - she technically had a Master in the Goddess Badb - but the work itself sounded far from adventrous. Perhaps that was the point though; only death would be found in diving into the darkest hells where foul aberrants prowled. Only the glory-seeking and overconfident willingly dared, precisely the kind welcomed into professions like those...

"Heeey~ You two done talking in there yet?" The goddess's impatient voice sounded from outside, and Miach looked to Akemi for confirmation that she had nothing else to ask.

...but Akemi was committed to her dreams, and she could see the goal closer than before. Steeling her resolve, she picked up the katana, and straightened her appearance out to look as best as she could. The tiny niggling voice in deep in her head insisted that it wasn't too late to say no and return home on her knees, but she knew what her choice was.

"はい, Badb-sama..."

If going down into the Dungeon was what it took to find her place in the world, then Akemi would not turn back.

"... I'm ready."

Steeling her resolve, she picked up the katana, and straightened her appearance out to look as best as she could. The tiny niggling voice in deep in her head insisted that it wasn't too late to say no and return home on her knees, but she knew what her choice was.

"はい, Badb-sama..."

If going down into the Dungeon was what it took to find her place in the world, then Akemi would not turn back.

"... I'm ready."
Miach smiled warmly to Akemi as she seemed to come to a decision about something, picking up the sword that seemed to mean much to her and turning to face the door that her goddess stood behind. With Akemi's acknowledgement, Badb entered the room, the door swinging open with gusto as the goddess seemed to have missed the memo of holding the handle while opening the door. Firm crimson eyes met golden in a moment of confusion for one and determination for the other, as Akemi announced her will.

"... That's good. Dinner is, too; I told Adelie you must be starving." Badb replied evenly with a hint of jest in her voice, clearly realizing that that was not at all what Akemi's declaration was referring to, and her quizzical stare pierced toward the blue-haired deity behind her Familia member. In response, the skewered god lifted his hands up, shaking his head, and still curious but satisfied in some element she turned her gaze back on Akemi. "It's not an oriental meal, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless - a very nice beef stew. We can talk about plans over food, I heard your stomach grumbling on the way here." Badb left them to head towards the stairs to the next floor up after saying so, acknowledging Akemi's stiff posture with an awkward nod.

Miach watched his fellow deity leave behind her Familia member with a shake of his head, getting up from his chair and passing by Akemi with a soft smile. "She's not the most graceful, but she does care." He waited for Akemi at the door before guiding her up the stairs to the third floor, a large open room that had a full kitchen in one corner with the rest serving as a dining hall and recreation room. Tables bore both tableware and games, some board games seeming left half-way through - doubtless to be returned to once the players came back from a day's work. Badb sat at the table closest to the kitchen area, passing Adelie wooden bowls to ladle the stew into and setting them back around the table. Mugs of water were already set at each of the four seats, and when they came near Badb patted the seat next to her while looking at Akemi. Miach sat across from the goddess, and Adelie took the remaining spot.

"Have you already been assigned an adviser from the Guild yet?" Adelie faced towards Akemi, leaving her stew untouched for the moment while it steamed heavily.

"Nah, too much to do today so I thought to leave that for tomorrow morning." Badb replied in place of Akemi, who had not yet heard any word of an 'adviser'. "Oh, yeah, Akemi, what was that 'I'm ready' for? You startled me, looked like you were telling me you signed up to be a soldier or something. I've only had you half a day, it's a little early to be saying things with such a serious face."

"... That's good. Dinner is, too; I told Adelie you must be starving." Badb replied evenly with a hint of jest in her voice, clearly realizing that that was not at all what Akemi's declaration was referring to, and her quizzical stare pierced toward the blue-haired deity behind her Familia member. In response, the skewered god lifted his hands up, shaking his head, and still curious but satisfied in some element she turned her gaze back on Akemi. "It's not an oriental meal, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless - a very nice beef stew. We can talk about plans over food, I heard your stomach grumbling on the way here." Badb left them to head towards the stairs to the next floor up after saying so, acknowledging Akemi's stiff posture with an awkward nod.

Miach watched his fellow deity leave behind her Familia member with a shake of his head, getting up from his chair and passing by Akemi with a soft smile. "She's not the most graceful, but she does care."

"... She reminds me of Ren-nee." Akemi said to herself quietly before shaking her head. Ren was not there with her in Orario; no point dwelling on people she swore to never see again.

He waited for Akemi at the door before guiding her up the stairs to the third floor, a large open room that had a full kitchen in one corner with the rest serving as a dining hall and recreation room. Tables bore both tableware and games, some board games seeming left half-way through - doubtless to be returned to once the players came back from a day's work. Badb sat at the table closest to the kitchen area, passing Adelie wooden bowls to ladle the stew into and setting them back around the table. Mugs of water were already set at each of the four seats, and when they came near Badb patted the seat next to her while looking at Akemi. Miach sat across from the goddess, and Adelie took the remaining spot.

While stews weren't anything new to an orphan like Akemi, she did admit that she hadn't had a proper chance to eat in some time. Surviving on bits of what bread and water that she had managed to preserve from her travels had done a lot to dull her palate, and she was sure that she had become a tiny bit thinner since first arriving in the city. Something warm and hearty would do her a lot of good physically and mentally.

Taking a seat next to Badb, Akemi carefully placed her katana so that it leaned against her seat, always close by enough that she felt reassured by its presence should the unlikeliest happen. The stew itself didn't look lacking in the wooden bowl in front of her; chunks of cut potatoes and carrots sat alongside cubes of seared beef in a homely thick broth. It was strangely homely to see and smell despite Akemi never having had a stew in the Western style before...

"Have you already been assigned an adviser from the Guild yet?" Adelie faced towards Akemi, leaving her stew untouched for the moment while it steamed heavily.

"Nah, too much to do today so I thought to leave that for tomorrow morning." Badb replied in place of Akemi, who had not yet heard any word of an 'adviser'. "Oh, yeah, Akemi, what was that 'I'm ready' for? You startled me, looked like you were telling me you signed up to be a soldier or something. I've only had you half a day, it's a little early to be saying things with such a serious face."

"... I already wear your brand on my back Badb-sama; I know from this day on out that Dungeon is going to be my whole life for the near future." Akemi wasn't as deterred as she was back in the Tower, not as lost, and not as afraid. So why was she not meeting Badb in the eye? "I came here to find my own happiness, and you offered me a chance in that."

"I don't know what is down there in the dungeon, but I have to go down there, for my dream and yours. That's what it means to be an Adventurer, isn't it?"

"... I already wear your brand on my back Badb-sama; I know from this day on out that Dungeon is going to be my whole life for the near future." Akemi wasn't as deterred as she was back in the Tower, not as lost, and not as afraid. So why was she not meeting Badb in the eye? "I came here to find my own happiness, and you offered me a chance in that."

"I don't know what is down there in the dungeon, but I have to go down there, for my dream and yours. That's what it means to be an Adventurer, isn't it?"
Everyone at the table looked at Akemi while she put words to her thoughts that had been forming through the day and her commitment she had come to in her conversation with Miach. The first to break sight was the one without it, Adelie leaving the blossoming Adventurer to come up with her own ideas. Miach, taking the clue, also went back to his stew, carefully blowing on the contents of his spoon to try and cool them down. Badb, meanwhile, looked at Akemi with an unreadable expression, watching her eyes that refused to meet her own. After a minute, she lifted her hand to Akemi's head, settling it on top the child's black hair with a pomf.

"Being an Adventurer isn't something with just one meaning. Everyone goes in and comes back for their own reasons." Badb's hand brushed a few errant strands back in place, petting Akemi's head a bit before lowering back down. "It's good you've gotten an idea now, though." Badb spooned some stew from the bottom of the bowl into her mouth without thought, and immediately started chugging water while Miach did his best not to chuckle.

"Anyway, -" Badb, with a burnt tongue and ego, cast a glare to Miach and he returned to his own soup with little delay. "I've some more things that need doing around town, greetings to do and all, so I hope that you three will keep each other company for the night since I've kept Akemi running for long enough today. Oh, and maybe don't lock me out?" Badb resumed shoveling soup into her mouth at three spoonfuls a breath, not stopped for long by the recently learned lesson. Miach did not seem to be surprised by Badb's announcement, though he did watch Akemi for her reaction.

Everyone at the table looked at Akemi while she put words to her thoughts that had been forming through the day and her commitment she had come to in her conversation with Miach. The first to break sight was the one without it, Adelie leaving the blossoming Adventurer to come up with her own ideas. Miach, taking the clue, also went back to his stew, carefully blowing on the contents of his spoon to try and cool them down. Badb, meanwhile, looked at Akemi with an unreadable expression, watching her eyes that refused to meet her own. After a minute, she lifted her hand to Akemi's head, settling it on top the child's black hair with a pomf.

"Being an Adventurer isn't something with just one meaning. Everyone goes in and comes back for their own reasons." Badb's hand brushed a few errant strands back in place, petting Akemi's head a bit before lowering back down. "It's good you've gotten an idea now, though." Badb spooned some stew from the bottom of the bowl into her mouth without thought, and immediately started chugging water while Miach did his best not to chuckle.

Akemi had stayed silent as Badb said her piece, opting to instead take miniscule sips and nibbles out of her bowl of stew as she listened and mutely protested her hair being fixed by someone else. The heat hadn't bothered Akemi as much as she thought it would, but she erred enough on the side of caution to not test how well she could handle a mouthful of piping-hot stew.

There was some minor amusement to be had at Badb nearly boiling her tongue off, and from her view Miach shared the same sentiment with his little smile and peeps of laughter.

"Anyway, -" Badb, with a burnt tongue and ego, cast a glare to Miach and he returned to his own soup with little delay. "I've some more things that need doing around town, greetings to do and all, so I hope that you three will keep each other company for the night since I've kept Akemi running for long enough today. Oh, and maybe don't lock me out?" Badb resumed shoveling soup into her mouth at three spoonfuls a breath, not stopped for long by the recently learned lesson. Miach did not seem to be surprised by Badb's announcement, though he did watch Akemi for her reaction.

Akemi felt the eyes on her. It wasn't hard to get that extrasensory feeling of being watched, especially when divinity was involved. Still, she mustered up enough willpower to lift her gaze from her cooling bowl of stew to Adelie.

"Adelie-san, is there somewhere quiet I can go? A courtyard or rooftop perhaps nearby? I want to do some practice."

Truth be told: Akemi had neglected her kenjutsu ever since she arrived at Orario. Her bouncing around the city trying to find a Familia before Badb found her had left her with bigger worries than keeping her skills with her katana sharp, and it was high time she caught herself back up with her regiment...

Akemi felt the eyes on her. It wasn't hard to get that extrasensory feeling of being watched, especially when divinity was involved. Still, she mustered up enough willpower to lift her gaze from her cooling bowl of stew to Adelie.

"Adelie-san, is there somewhere quiet I can go? A courtyard or rooftop perhaps nearby? I want to do some practice."

Truth be told: Akemi had neglected her kenjutsu ever since she arrived at Orario. Her bouncing around the city trying to find a Familia before Badb found her had left her with bigger worries than keeping her skills with her katana sharp, and it was high time she caught herself back up with her regiment...
Rather than Adelie, it was Miach who smiled and responded, beaming, though the side eye he threw Badb before hand did not quite match with his cheerful response. "That's an excellent idea. We have a space to the back of the building that we use for training our Adventurers, who likely won't be making use of it tonight. And if Adelie guides you, she'll be there to answer any questions you might have or assist you with training as you like." The elf turned to her god with a snow-white eyebrow raised from beneath her bandages, and Miach nodded in response before turning back to Akemi. "I'm not sure if a single night will do any good, but consider her your tutor for as long as you would have her."

Adelie lightly bowed her head to Akemi, her loose white braid spilling over her shoulder with the motion. "Simply let me know when you are ready and I will guide you." The elf's stew bowl sat empty, somehow having been the first to disappear in spite of her being the last to dare sip from the hot broth.

Rather than Adelie, it was Miach who smiled and responded, beaming, though the side eye he threw Badb before hand did not quite match with his cheerful response. "That's an excellent idea. We have a space to the back of the building that we use for training our Adventurers, who likely won't be making use of it tonight. And if Adelie guides you, she'll be there to answer any questions you might have or assist you with training as you like." The elf turned to her god with a snow-white eyebrow raised from beneath her bandages, and Miach nodded in response before turning back to Akemi. "I'm not sure if a single night will do any good, but consider her your tutor for as long as you would have her."

Adelie lightly bowed her head to Akemi, her loose white braid spilling over her shoulder with the motion. "Simply let me know when you are ready and I will guide you." The elf's stew bowl sat empty, somehow having been the first to disappear in spite of her being the last to dare sip from the hot broth.

Any hunger Akemi had over the entire day was forgotten about as she slowly pushed the half-finished bowl of stew in front of her; she hadn't the heart to really stuff herself full when she was a light eater at heart. Instead, she stood up and grabbed her katana that leaned against the table beside her. "If it's fine with you, I'd like to be taken there now... Oh uh, thank you for the meal, Miach-sama. I'm sorry I cannot find the stomach to finish it."

It had been awhile since Akemi truly got to unsheathe her katana with purpose, and the weight and texture of its wooden saya felt heavy. She could already feel the heavy blackened steel of her katana waiting with nervous anticipation; her dominant hand suddenly felt restless as she busied it with fixing the state of her dusty yukata. "I just want some time to refamiliarize, get re-used to swinging it if I'm going down there... I hadn't much opportunity to practice and refresh myself..."

Any hunger Akemi had over the entire day was forgotten about as she slowly pushed the half-finished bowl of stew in front of her; she hadn't the heart to really stuff herself full when she was a light eater at heart. Instead, she stood up and grabbed her katana that leaned against the table beside her. "If it's fine with you, I'd like to be taken there now... Oh uh, thank you for the meal, Miach-sama. I'm sorry I cannot find the stomach to finish it."
Miach lifted his hand and shook his head, denying Akemi's thanks and apologies. "Compliments and thoughts go to the chef, not the host. I don't think she minds, though." Miach looked over to Adelie to prompt her, and the elf nodded her head in response. "As long as you ate your fill." After saying so, she stood up, pushing in her chair and taking both hers and Akemi's dishes. A quick trip to the kitchen and the woman returned, her hair now tied in a tight ponytail rather than a loose braid. The bandages stood out more with the white hair pulled out of the way from covering most of the fabric, only disappearing behind her long ears.

"Follow me, Miss Kurama." Adelie gestured to the door before walking ahead towards it, beginning her work as Akemi's guide through the building that would serve as a shelter to her and Badb for the next few days per Miach's word. As the door shut behind them, the voices within the room could be heard just a bit to Akemi's ears, alongside the scraping of chairs.

"Suppose I should get going too-"

"Hm, are you sure you couldn't spare a few minutes to chat before leaving?"

That was all that was heard of whatever talk the two deities were preparing to have between them, however, as Adelie did not idle and allow room for eavesdropping. The elf seemed to glide on her feet, only walking but being at the end of a hallway in moments, waiting for Akemi at the top of each staircase as they returned down to the first floor. Rod was fiddling with the door as he came into sight, arms stretched just a little above his head to reach the padlock.

Adelie walked directly for a door at the back of the shop, stopping there after opening it up and looking to the Chienthrope child who was doing his best. "Rod, don't lock up tonight. You may go get dinner." The child looked at her with confusion, and then Akemi with curiosity, but after seeing Adelie's silent prompting nod he hummed in understanding and ran up the stairs without questioning the elf. For Akemi, meanwhile, the doorway that Adelie had opened led to a hallway not much larger than the thin door that led to it, branching off to a few rooms before leading to a heavier door at the end. Adelie opened this as well, undoing a latch with some effort, before leading the far eastern girl into a courtyard covered in moss anywhere that the greenery could find purchase without getting kicked up. Some mushrooms as well grew on the cracked walls, and while very small the space seemed comfortable, with a view of the twilit sky above.

"I will be here, if you need me. Feel free to go through your training regimen as you like." The elf stood to the side of the door that led to this alcove that looked like a repurposed bit of alleyway, a rather curious sight as one had to wonder what the blind woman would be doing to occupy herself if she could not watch Akemi's training. Regardless, the elf stood at attention like a well-trained servant or soldier while staying out of the way best she could in this almost cramped space.

Miach lifted his hand and shook his head, denying Akemi's thanks and apologies. "Compliments and thoughts go to the chef, not the host. I don't think she minds, though." Miach looked over to Adelie to prompt her, and the elf nodded her head in response. "As long as you ate your fill." After saying so, she stood up, pushing in her chair and taking both hers and Akemi's dishes. A quick trip to the kitchen and the woman returned, her hair now tied in a tight ponytail rather than a loose braid. The bandages stood out more with the white hair pulled out of the way from covering most of the fabric, only disappearing behind her long ears.

"Follow me, Miss Kurama." Adelie gestured to the door before walking ahead towards it, beginning her work as Akemi's guide through the building that would serve as a shelter to her and Badb for the next few days per Miach's word. As the door shut behind them, the voices within the room could be heard just a bit to Akemi's ears, alongside the scraping of chairs.

"Suppose I should get going too-"

"Hm, are you sure you couldn't spare a few minutes to chat before leaving?"

That was all that was heard of whatever talk the two deities were preparing to have between them, however, as Adelie did not idle and allow room for eavesdropping. The elf seemed to glide on her feet, only walking but being at the end of a hallway in moments, waiting for Akemi at the top of each staircase as they returned down to the first floor...

With one final bit of polite etiquette, Akemi bowed low for one final time before leaving to follow Adelie outside. She couldn't help but pick up bits of conversation as she left, though she quickly tuned out the idle chatter before the door was shut behind her. She was courteous enough to not eavesdrop when she didn't feel the need to; it would've been insulting to Miach's generosity and hospitality to do such a thing. No, she was content on letting the deities talk between themselves.

Adelie, for someone who was blind, the blanchette moved with a remarkable degree of confidence and poise past the recently-swept halls. Not a speck of dust could be found on the aged wooden floors or walls, and although what furniture Akemi and Adelie walked by had aged, they had signs of genuine effort and love put into their maintenance. Miach it seemed, put great care into what little he and his Familia had, an admirable trait to have in a Patron God.

The child looked at her with confusion, and then Akemi with curiosity, but after seeing Adelie's silent prompting nod he hummed in understanding and ran up the stairs without questioning the elf. For Akemi, meanwhile, the doorway that Adelie had opened led to a hallway not much larger than the thin door that led to it, branching off to a few rooms before leading to a heavier door at the end. Adelie opened this as well, undoing a latch with some effort, before leading the far eastern girl into a courtyard covered in moss anywhere that the greenery could find purchase without getting kicked up. Some mushrooms as well grew on the cracked walls, and while very small the space seemed comfortable, with a view of the twilit sky above.

"I will be here, if you need me. Feel free to go through your training regimen as you like." The elf stood to the side of the door that led to this alcove that looked like a repurposed bit of alleyway, a rather curious sight as one had to wonder what the blind woman would be doing to occupy herself if she could not watch Akemi's training. Regardless, the elf stood at attention like a well-trained servant or soldier while staying out of the way best she could in this almost cramped space.

"... Thank you, Adelie-san." It was to be expected that a Familia running on tight funding hadn't a lavish or well-kept courtyard as Akemi strode to its very center. The years of mossy overgrowth and fungi hid away countless tales of better days, what stonework that hadn't been cracked or concealed sadly dull and worn down like the rest of the courtyard. Clumsily trimmed grass sat alongside overgrowing glades near the walls, and the packed ground under her geta was loose from doubtless years of use without much upkeep. Even now, with Akemi's light footwork, she kicked up small puffs of dust and dirt that further sullied her tabi. Just more reminders of her sorry state of dress, but at least her only company was literally blind to her poorly attire.

... There, she could start at that spot.

Slowly, Akemi drew down onto her knees, folding her legs underneath her until she sat in a perfect form of seiza.

Back straight, hands folded, eyes shut...

Akemi drew upon the peaceful night sky to lull her into a state of readiness. She let the distant sounds of Orario's nightlife fade away in the background, and welcomed the little sounds of nature. The few crickets that dared chirp, the fluttering wings of crows in search of their next meal, the radiant stillness of night itself.

Her muscles loosened, her mind cleared, her focus sharpened...

Akemi's hand glided with supreme steadiness until she felt the texture of her katana's cotton ito, the beautiful white bindings a comforting sensation against her hand. She felt minimal resistance as she pulled, letting the black-and-crimson steel of her katana's blade breathe clean air after countless weeks of travel and unuse. Even though its user sat in a dusty, mussed up yukata, the katana was spared any abuse or neglect. Even now, it's edge shone with a perfect glint against the glimpses of moonlight, something Akemi took pride in as she finished her slow draw.

Breathe in, breathe out. Steady the heart; steel the mind.

In one fluid motion, Akemi stood herself up with a slow upward swing. Her katana's made nary a sound against the air it slashed, and continued to do so as she began her measured movements. It was Akemi's wacky way of stretching before every proper practice session, gently pulling and contracting the (admittedly atrophied) muscles in her body before she properly tested herself. Each practice slash Akemi made was drawn out, as if moving in slow motion; every movement of her hands and feet were smooth, concentrated, deliberate. No hesitation, no doubt; gone was the girl who nervously stuttered her unsureness to Badb and Miach. Here was an artist tuning her instrument for a practice concerto...

Adelie's ears twitched with every movement that Akemi made with her practice regimen, from her sitting posture to her smooth, soundless warm-up slashes through the air. Occasionally, it seemed like the elf's face would track Akemi's position, staring straight at her if her eyes were uncovered, but for the most part she stayed still and in her corner of the yard until something was asked of her, not making noise nor movement. In Akemi's heightened senses, she heard the faintest sound of footsteps running down the creaky stairs inside and the front door opening and closing, Badb likely on her way to whatever business she had left for the night. As the twilight drew further into the night, getting darker every minute, Adelie stepped inside and brought out a magic crystal lantern like the one that Miach had shown Akemi earlier, hanging it on a hook next to the door, before resuming her silent wait out of the way.

Adelie's ears twitched with every movement that Akemi made with her practice regimen, from her sitting posture to her smooth, soundless warm-up slashes through the air. Occasionally, it seemed like the elf's face would track Akemi's position, staring straight at her if her eyes were uncovered, but for the most part she stayed still and in her corner of the yard until something was asked of her, not making noise nor movement. In Akemi's heightened senses, she heard the faintest sound of footsteps running down the creaky stairs inside and the front door opening and closing, Badb likely on her way to whatever business she had left for the night. As the twilight drew further into the night, getting darker every minute, Adelie stepped inside and brought out a magic crystal lantern like the one that Miach had shown Akemi earlier, hanging it on a hook next to the door, before resuming her silent wait out of the way.

The transition from slow, gentle movements to rapid, furious slashes with the katana had been like flicking a switch. One moment, Akemi was in slow motion, a performer in the midst of her performance; the next moment, Akemi was a moving at miles a minute, the concert approaching it's crescendo. If there was any illusion that Akemi was incompetent in her art, it was slowly broken bit by bit.

Akemi's katana cut through the air in graceful crimson arcs as she began her practice in earnest. Her hands and feet were in perfect unison as she lashed out at imaginary opponents; the only sounds she made were the slight shuffling of her clothes as she moved, and the classic whip-like whiz of her katana's edge against the still night air. A flick of the wrist to swipe before her opponent could react; a shadowy weave to the side before a slash at exposed flanks; a swift hop back before lunging forth with an overhead strike; a kick to the midsection before delivering a follow-up.

Swift. Sudden. Decisive. Like a viper: waiting with deathly patience before lashing out in brief explosions of action.

Akemi's techniques were elegant and well-practiced, trained with upmost diligence to perfect the art of the duel. Were she only to face other men, she would have been a formidable swordswoman.

Sadly, this was Orario. Where Akemi's style would prove deadly against men, she would struggle against the denizen monsters of the dungeon. Her strikes would fail to strike the vulnerable points of monsters larger than her, and her lack of proper strength behind each attack meant she'd ineffectually glance off tough hides and skin alike. Those problems could be mended with time and a proper hand to guide her...

Akemi's true problem however, was her lack of experience. Her training regimen revealed so much about her that merely talking wouldn't. Her movements were too well-practiced, as if only learned from repetition and instruction. She hadn't actually fought anything before.

Akemi herself seemed to be at least partially aware of her problems, if the increasing grunts of frustration were any indication. "Rrgh! I have to do better! I have to do more!"

Last edited:
Akemi's katana cut through the air in graceful crimson arcs as she began her practice in earnest. Her hands and feet were in perfect unison as she lashed out at imaginary opponents; the only sounds she made were the slight shuffling of her clothes as she moved, and the classic whip-like whiz of her katana's edge against the still night air. A flick of the wrist to swipe before her opponent could react; a shadowy weave to the side before a slash at exposed flanks; a swift hop back before lunging forth with an overhead strike; a kick to the midsection before delivering a follow-up.

Akemi's techniques were elegant and well-practiced, trained with upmost diligence to perfect the art of the duel. Were she only to face other men, she would have been a formidable swordswoman.
As time went on and Akemi repeated her movements and drills, practicing intensely without stopping, Adelie stopped following her movements entirely. She let this continue on for many repetitions before finally sighing. Though Akemi did not notice, in her state of singular focus, her assigned tutor walked into the building and gently closed the door behind her, leaving the far eastern girl alone. Again and again, Akemi repeated the same footwork, the same strikes, the same chain of events against an opponent that did not exist, practicing exactly as she had always done. Dust was kicked up by her geta in her movements and the air parted for each strike, but it did not bring her closer to being ready to fight creatures she had never faced before and challenges she had thus far been spared from.

Akemi's true problem however, was her lack of experience. Her training regimen revealed so much about her that merely talking wouldn't. Her movements were too well-practiced, as if only learned from repetition and instruction. She hadn't actually fought anything before.

Akemi herself seemed to be at least partially aware of her problems, if the increasing grunts of frustration were any indication. "Rrgh! I have to do better! I have to do more!"
"Miss Kurama, the air does not share your tenacity. It has asked for a change of partners." Even in jest, the elf's tone remained gentle and respectful, apparently.

A light click sounded as Adelie shut the door behind her, and the combination of voice and noise drew Akemi's attention to the elf that she finally realized had been missing until now. The light of the lantern gleamed off the metal heater shield hanging on her back, and some variety of one-handed sword hung from a belt that she had not been wearing before. The blade, even through the scabbard, was odd - too long, narrow, and thick at the sides to possibly sport a cutting edge. With her turning around, Akemi could see that Adelie was otherwise dressed in the same loose white button-up shirt and heavy, long dark grey skirt that she had worn earlier, though under the flutter of her skirt she did seem to be wearing more sturdy boots now of a darker leather. The elf's bandaged face looked to Akemi, focused on her as she walked to the middle of the courtyard. "Are you ready?" The woman stood still and relaxed, her hands away from her armaments for the moment as she confirmed with her charge.

"Miss Kurama, the air does not share your tenacity. It has asked for a change of partners." Even in jest, the elf's tone remained gentle and respectful, apparently.

A light click sounded as Adelie shut the door behind her, and the combination of voice and noise drew Akemi's attention to the elf that she finally realized had been missing until now. The light of the lantern gleamed off the metal heater shield hanging on her back, and some variety of one-handed sword hung from a belt that she had not been wearing before. The blade, even through the scabbard, was odd - too long, narrow, and thick at the sides to possibly sport a cutting edge. With her turning around, Akemi could see that Adelie was otherwise dressed in the same loose white button-up shirt and heavy, long dark grey skirt that she had worn earlier, though under the flutter of her skirt she did seem to be wearing more sturdy boots now of a darker leather. The elf's bandaged face looked to Akemi, focused on her as she walked to the middle of the courtyard. "Are you ready?" The woman stood still and relaxed, her hands away from her armaments for the moment as she confirmed with her charge.

The brief surprise in Akemi's bright red eyes was lost on Adelie, but the Far Easterner quickly schooled her expression. She quickly got the hint, and fully turned to prepare herself and her katana for the impending clash. Miach did offer Adelie's assistance with practice, and if a Kami was implicitly vouching for her, then Akemi wouldn't underestimate her for being blind. It was always the ones you least expected that were skilled at their craft, and no doubt the blind elf was proficient with the arms and armaments she brought, which greatly worried and excited the Eastern girl.

Back straight, hands folded, eyes on the foe.

The make of the sword at Adelie's hip was not one meant to chop or cleave, that much Akemi could guess from her observations. It's make and frame suggested a bias towards thrusting attacks, and the bits of shield on the elf's back suggested that it was large enough to conceal her torso. The boots were too heavy to dispel any notion that she wouldn't use them, the lack of proper armor suggested a style that did not rely on a straightforward defense.

Adelie was already shaping up to be a dangerous opponent, obvious experience disparity aside.

Akemi straightened herself out, her left foot shuffled behind her right with the left heel slightly raised. Hips straight forward, shoulders relaxed, weight balanced between her feet. Her untested katana was kept in a relaxed stance in front of her, tip pointed towards Adelie's throat. The classic Chūdan-no-kamae. If Akemi was correct in assuming Adelie was one for stabbing motions, then her stance would act as a natural deterrent. If she was lucky, then Akemi could possibly step into striking distance without sacrificing her defense...

All of this, was if she kept her cool.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

"はい, Adelie-san. I'm ready."

Last edited:
She quickly got the hint, and fully turned to prepare herself and her katana for the impending clash. It was always the ones you least expected that were skilled at their craft, and no doubt the blind elf was proficient with the arms and armaments she brought, which greatly worried and excited the Eastern girl.

Back straight, hands folded, eyes on the foe.

Adelie was already shaping up to be a dangerous opponent, obvious experience disparity aside.

Akemi straightened herself out, her left foot shuffled behind her right with the left heel slightly raised. Hips straight forward, shoulders relaxed, weight balanced between her feet. Her untested katana was kept in a relaxed stance in front of her, tip pointed towards Adelie's throat. The classic Chūdan-no-kamae. If Akemi was correct in assuming Adelie was one for stabbing motions, then her stance would act as a natural deterrent. If she was lucky, then Akemi could possibly step into striking distance without sacrificing her defense.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

"はい, Adelie-san. I'm ready."
As Akemi shifted her stance, Adelie's long ears twitched, though the elf woman did not make any move to ready herself for the moment. She appraised the response that Akemi had to the challenge, and after a few seconds nodded. "Mm. A good response." She finally drew the estoc from her waist, slowly letting the steel ring on the lip of its sheath. The tip of the sword kissed the ground to the right of her as Adelie's right foot drew backwards, the shield swinging around the strap on her neck to her left hand. Adelie remained relaxed with armaments in hand, head now slightly misaligned with Akemi's body after the stance shifts - only ever so slightly, the sort of thing that the girl would not have noticed in any other situation.

"Dungeon monsters are not only Orcs and Hellhounds. There are rabbits that will tear you limb from limb, frogs that will poison you with a touch. Appearances lie. Until the corpse lay at your feet, assume something is just as, if not stronger than you." Adelie started circling around Akemi's right, the tip of her estoc trailing her path on the ground bumping on the occasional pebble in the packed dirt with a metallic clang each time. Whatever Adelie had been doing to keep her face trained on Akemi until now, she stopped, her head remaining only slightly turned to the far eastern girl as it relaxed on her neck. "Your stance is well chosen to deter approach. Defense isn't a bad response to the unfamiliar, as you might be keeping your opponent from doing something."

In a very smooth movement, rather than stepping backwards to continue her circular pacing, Adelie's right foot swung around to be in front of her left and she started slowly approaching Akemi. The sword tip lifted out of the dirt, and in a flash of sparks Adelie's shield was sliding down the edge of Akemi's katana pushing it to the side with a slope pointing away from Adelie's body, while her right side stepped inwards with the square tip of her estoc going for just slightly above Akemi's foot. Adelie's center mass wasn't completely guarded, but both her feet were on the ground before Akemi could react, denying any hope of catching the elf off-balance.

In a very smooth movement, rather than stepping backwards to continue her circular pacing, Adelie's right foot swung around to be in front of her left and she started slowly approaching Akemi. The sword tip lifted out of the dirt, and in a flash of sparks Adelie's shield was sliding down the edge of Akemi's katana pushing it to the side with a slope pointing away from Adelie's body, while her right side stepped inwards with the square tip of her estoc going for just slightly above Akemi's foot. Adelie's center mass wasn't completely guarded, but both her feet were on the ground before Akemi could react, denying any hope of catching the elf off-balance.

Akemi had been a touch too slow on the draw to properly react to Adelie, and now she found herself in a situation she didn't like at all. As it stood, she had no way of withdrawing to the right or backwards; both left her undesirably out-of-position and likely was what Adelie was expecting her to do. That only left to real options: forward and into Adelie's space, or to Akemi's left. Both ideas had their merits and their failings in her head; Adelie had too much control of the situation for the Far Easterner to properly reset.

... Well, the stupid plans always had that microscopic chance of working out...

Shifting her feet to be parallel with the oncoming Estoc, Akemi used what milliseconds she had to wind her legs up before lunging forward in a burst of action. Her arms naturally pulled to her left as she stepped into and over the estoc, and she could feel the natural momentum of both their attacks lending to a perpendicular lever movement with her katana. Instead of it being on the outside of Adelie's shield, now it was reoriented to be inside her guard.

Sadly, this commitment meant that Akemi's only immediate choice was a pommel bash. The awkwardness of close quarters made the length of her katana a liability, but she would at least get a use out of it if she was quick enough.

As her legs rapidly shuffled in her lunge to skirt the estoc on both sides, the Far Easterner used the momentum of her swing to push the pommel into a proper attack. The blow was going to be clumsy and likely ineffectual, especially if Adelie had half-a-mind to drop her estoc and grab her left arm (which was easily doable). That was why she kept her left hand in a looser grip, letting her right arm drive the majority of her momentum forward while her left elbow was raised to keep things messy for her elven opponent. She didn't know if her pommel was too high and she was going to strike Adelie across the face, or if she was too low and about to hit her in the ribs; all Akemi knew was that worst-case scenario: she was left weaponless and needed to resort to hand-to-hand.

If that wound up the case, then Akemi's already miniscule chances of coming out with some semblance of pride was forfeit.

Shifting her feet to be parallel with the oncoming Estoc, Akemi used what milliseconds she had to wind her legs up before lunging forward in a burst of action. Her arms naturally pulled to her left as she stepped into and over the estoc, and she could feel the natural momentum of both their attacks lending to a perpendicular lever movement with her katana. Instead of it being on the outside of Adelie's shield, now it was reoriented to be inside her guard.

Sadly, this commitment meant that Akemi's only immediate choice was a pommel bash. The awkwardness of close quarters made the length of her katana a liability, but she would at least get a use out of it if she was quick enough.

As her legs rapidly shuffled in her lunge to skirt the estoc on both sides, the Far Easterner used the momentum of her swing to push the pommel into a proper attack. The blow was going to be clumsy and likely ineffectual, especially if Adelie had half-a-mind to drop her estoc and grab her left arm (which was easily doable). That was why she kept her left hand in a looser grip, letting her right arm drive the majority of her momentum forward while her left elbow was raised to keep things messy for her elven opponent.
"Good reaction."

The compliment slipped out of the blind elf's mouth as Akemi's plan started to unfold, feeling the conflicting force on her shield divert and disappear and hearing the shifting air at Akemi's feet. For a fraction of a second, the elf seemed helpless, her shield now out of position and her estoc unable to change course, offering no retaliation.

"Not -" It happened in a split second. An unexpected sound of ringing steel, and the feeling of Akemi's left ankle getting snagged under cold steel planted solidly in the ground at the tail end of her shuffling, Adelie's wrist flicked out in an odd manner that expressed how unnatural the angle of the throw had been. In the moment that attention shifted to the blocked foot, trying to adjust around the unexpected obstacle, the breath was pressed out of Akemi's lungs as the shield, pulled back, impacted solidly with her upper right arm and pressed deeply into her chest, a hand snaking around her shoulders. "- aggressive enough."

Akemi's left elbow tried a helpless jab at the elf's abdomen in instinctive retaliation, but it lacked the power to do anything and ended up too little, too late. Before she fully understood what happened, Akemi was face-first in the dirt, her left foot twisted painfully around the estoc that had tripped it and her right arm holding her katana pinned underneath her body. As if to say it wasn't enough, and that Akemi in her current state might have been able to put up some resistance, Adelie sat on Akemi's back with boots pressing into the girl's otherwise free left arm, the elf's right hand locking Akemi's head down.

"If that is how you'll fight in the dungeon, you'll be fine if you keep it one-on-one for the first floor." A hollow clattering sound leading into rolling happened as Adelie released the girl's head, an orange potion on the ground in front of her as Adelie got up and retrieved her estoc that had imbedded itself over half a foot into the ground. "Is that enough for you?"

"Good reaction."

The compliment slipped out of the blind elf's mouth as Akemi's plan started to unfold, feeling the conflicting force on her shield divert and disappear and hearing the shifting air at Akemi's feet. For a fraction of a second, the elf seemed helpless, her shield now out of position and her estoc unable to change course, offering no retaliation.

"Not -" It happened in a split second. An unexpected sound of ringing steel, and the feeling of Akemi's left ankle getting snagged under cold steel planted solidly in the ground at the tail end of her shuffling, Adelie's wrist flicked out in an odd manner that expressed how unnatural the angle of the throw had been. In the moment that attention shifted to the blocked foot, trying to adjust around the unexpected obstacle, the breath was pressed out of Akemi's lungs as the shield, pulled back, impacted solidly with her upper right arm and pressed deeply into her chest, a hand snaking around her shoulders. "- aggressive enough."

Akemi's left elbow tried a helpless jab at the elf's abdomen in instinctive retaliation, but it lacked the power to do anything and ended up too little, too late. Before she fully understood what happened, Akemi was face-first in the dirt, her left foot twisted painfully around the estoc that had tripped it and her right arm holding her katana pinned underneath her body. As if to say it wasn't enough, and that Akemi in her current state might have been able to put up some resistance, Adelie sat on Akemi's back with boots pressing into the girl's otherwise free left arm, the elf's right hand locking Akemi's head down.

Akemi always knew that she had been outmatched once she had properly locked weapons with Adelie; the disparity was already apparent when Akemi's reflexes didn't kick in in time. Now she was lying in an undignified heap, left leg sore and painfully twisted while the rest of her laid helpless under Adelie's hands. Things honestly could've gotten better if Akemi had begun moving along with Adelie, but for some reason she decided that staying rock-still until Adelie acted was a good idea. She needed to improve, and improve quickly...

"If that is how you'll fight in the dungeon, you'll be fine if you keep it one-on-one for the first floor." A hollow clattering sound leading into rolling happened as Adelie released the girl's head, an orange potion on the ground in front of her as Adelie got up and retrieved her estoc that had imbedded itself over half a foot into the ground. "Is that enough for you?"

One of the first things Akemi did was roll her left ankle in a test of if it was still good. Considering the nasty bruise, the fact that the pain was manageable enough to walk off (with a lot of grimacing) was good enough for her, and she gave it a quick rub before getting up and checking her katana for any damage. The spar did leave some dirt and dust coating the cutting edge, and Akemi was no doubt going to want to put it to a whetstone just in case something did nick the edge, but it otherwise only needed a rag, some water, and a bit of oil before it was back in pristine condition.

Testing her left leg, and deciding that she couldn't go all-out with it, she nodded to herself and pocketed the potion she was given. Better to use it in the dungeon when it could save her life rather than just for a spar...

"ありがとうございます, Adelie-san. If you don't mind; I would ask to continue."

Even Akemi knew that she wasn't in shape to be strenuously training, but any bit of learning she could get, even if it's just observing ways she gets beat down, would be a massive boon to her later. She didn't know what was around the corner tomorrow, so having that little bit more to know helped in the long run.

Shifting back, Akemi drew herself back into a Kenjutsu stance. This time her katana was held high overhead, left foot shifted shoulder-wide in front of her right: the basic Jōdan-no-kamae. She was hoping that she could learn more if she was the one proacting rather than reacting...

Testing her left leg, and deciding that she couldn't go all-out with it, she nodded to herself and pocketed the potion she was given. Better to use it in the dungeon when it could save her life rather than just for a spar...

"ありがとうございます, Adelie-san. If you don't mind; I would ask to continue."
Even Akemi knew that she wasn't in shape to be strenuously training, but any bit of learning she could get, even if it's just observing ways she gets beat down, would be a massive boon to her later. She didn't know what was around the corner tomorrow, so having that little bit more to know helped in the long run.

Shifting back, Akemi drew herself back into a Kenjutsu stance. This time her katana was held high overhead, left foot shifted shoulder-wide in front of her right: the basic Jōdan-no-kamae. She was hoping that she could learn more if she was the one proacting rather than reacting...
Adelie waited for a few more seconds after Akemi stood up and asked for a second round, seemingly staring off into space as she had stopped pretending to be able to see the girl. However, the finger she pointed landed directly in Akemi's direction, or specifically at her pocket. "Potions are on my patron deity tonight. Drink, or you may regret not taking full advantage of this training opportunity." The elf was soft spoken and polite, but the aggravated twitch of her ears and the downturned corners of her lips clearly indicated that she thought Akemi was making a mistake here.

Notably, the elf herself had sheathed her estoc, and her shield had returned to her back. However, her stance did not say that she intended peace: her hands were lightly raised level to just a little below her breast, forming half-fist shapes, and she was subtly bouncing back and forth on her feet as she prepared to teach Akemi with her body. She did not make any moves, either allowing Akemi to reconsider and drink the potion or simply acquiescing the first move this encounter. Which it was, wasn't entirely clear as the elf seemed to speak sparingly and clearly decided that this was not worth vocalizing.

Adelie waited for a few more seconds after Akemi stood up and asked for a second round, seemingly staring off into space as she had stopped pretending to be able to see the girl. However, the finger she pointed landed directly in Akemi's direction, or specifically at her pocket. "Potions are on my patron deity tonight. Drink, or you may regret not taking full advantage of this training opportunity." The elf was soft spoken and polite, but the aggravated twitch of her ears and the downturned corners of her lips clearly indicated that she thought Akemi was making a mistake here.

"It is better to regret now in practice than later in the Dungeon when my life is in peril." Akemi voiced aloud, letting her intention be made clear. "It is not my intention to sound arrogant or ungrateful, Adelie-san; I intend to honor Miach-sama's kindness in the Dungeon. Medicine is a precious commodity, one that must be honored by letting it be used to save my life."

It did occur that Adelie could possibly use the opportunity to smash the potion or otherwise break it during the incoming scuffle, likely to justify some lesson "to use what she had now rather than saving it up for later when later could never happen". There were definite merits, but there were pitfalls to that line of thinking, chief among them the notion of one playing their hand too early. The Dungeon was dangerous, and every resource needed to be carefully considered if one intended on going far and coming back alive and well. To Akemi, her health and wellbeing was another resource she could use, one that could be smartly expended to powerful effect in a fight. Trading an immediate victory for better health down the line, trading an immediate wound for a permanent advantage...

With half a mind to bring out the potion, Akemi brought it out and carefully set it away on the ground, placed in a manner that protected it from outward tampering or destruction...

Back to the fight: Akemi chose the opportunity of initiative to take the aggressive stance. Her advance was slow and deliberate, waiting to see if Adelie would break first and act while she was advancing. Akemi couldn't let herself be caught off-guard or off-balance; an opponent in hand-to-hand fighting had a lot more advantages than the average weapon user believed. Once she did feel like she was reasonably close however, Akemi made her move.

Shifting her stance again, Akemi switched her forward leg to be her right as she wound up for a downward slash. Something didn't sit right however; the way her forward leg didn't stick out or how her wind up seemed too telegraphed out of Akemi... She was trying to bait a reaction out of Adelie. She was evidently prepared to quickly withdraw and strike at Adelie's arms or legs if she tried anything; her position was too far for any meaningful grapple to occur, but just close enough that Akemi could theoretically nick her with her katana.

"It is better to regret now in practice than later in the Dungeon when my life is in peril." Akemi voiced aloud, letting her intention be made clear. "It is not my intention to sound arrogant or ungrateful, Adelie-san; I intend to honor Miach-sama's kindness in the Dungeon. Medicine is a precious commodity, one that must be honored by letting it be used to save my life."

With half a mind to bring out the potion, Akemi brought it out and carefully set it away on the ground, placed in a manner that protected it from outward tampering or destruction...

Back to the fight: Akemi chose the opportunity of initiative to take the aggressive stance. Her advance was slow and deliberate, waiting to see if Adelie would break first and act while she was advancing. Akemi couldn't let herself be caught off-guard or off-balance; an opponent in hand-to-hand fighting had a lot more advantages than the average weapon user believed. Once she did feel like she was reasonably close however, Akemi made her move.

Shifting her stance again, Akemi switched her forward leg to be her right as she wound up for a downward slash. Something didn't sit right however; the way her forward leg didn't stick out or how her wind up seemed too telegraphed out of Akemi... She was trying to bait a reaction out of Adelie. She was evidently prepared to quickly withdraw and strike at Adelie's arms or legs if she tried anything; her position was too far for any meaningful grapple to occur, but just close enough that Akemi could theoretically nick her with her katana.
"Miss Kurama, I cannot teach you to use that blade."

Akemi's advance went unimpeded, Adelie not moving from where she stood or shifting her stance in any way. No tricks unveiled themselves with any step forward, and even as Akemi lifted her katana in a slow wind-up for an overhead slash, there was no response from the elf except shuddering breaths...

O, Master of your craft, unrivaled in achievement.

First time or not, upon seeing the breath of fog from the elf's mouth in the midst of a warm, humid spring night, Akemi knew the sight of magic and dodged to the side, but nothing came except another line of prose given power.

Regretful am I, to see this sight, and in woe I recollect -

While not incredibly fast, the aria was spoken with a practiced cant, and there seemed to be more. What Akemi should do against magic, on her first time seeing it in person, she had no idea. Should she attack? Block? Right now, she continued to move around, close enough to strike but far enough that she could react to whatever might come flying, but would that matter? She feinted a slash from just out of reach, but Adelie did not react at all.

My purpose is to protect. That I shall not fail again, a decoration in frosted redoubt.

Apparently, she had more time than she expected. What must have been approaching ten seconds, and the chant hadn't completed - probably, interrupting it was best, and she had gotten no reactions thus far. Closing in with her blade at the ready, Akemi aimed at the inside of Adelie's left elbow and slashed,

Cruachan.

- to find her blade bouncing off clear crystal just above Adelie's skin. After the contact, the ice dissipated, a shimmering mist flowing around the elf's body. For the first time since the start of this second match, Adelie moved just one small step. Slowly, she approached Akemi, ice blocking any attacks the girl might try to throw as Adelie continued her slow approach. "What I can teach you, are the many feelings you will encounter in the Dungeon. And how you should deal with them."

For the first time since the start of this second match, Adelie moved just one small step. Slowly, she approached Akemi, ice blocking any attacks the girl might try to throw as Adelie continued her slow approach. "What I can teach you, are the many feelings you will encounter in the Dungeon. And how you should deal with them."

Not entirely for the first time in her life: Akemi felt just a little cheesed that she was fighting someone who so vastly outclassed her. It was an unfair but true part of life that she would always encounter someone who was better than her in any or every aspect, but the Far Easterner prided herself on not being completely hopeless in a one-on-one. Here, in that dimly-lit courtyard, Adelie was bent on teaching Akemi the painful lessons of Orario and how to survive it. Akemi wasn't going to take those lessons lightly, but that didn't mean she was going to just roll over and let Orario mold her into some uncouth barbarian!

If her katana couldn't so much as dent the ice, then Akemi stood no chance of at least closing with a draw... unless...

... Eh, it was worth a shot.

Instead of backing off, Akemi lunged forward with her katana up in front of her. Adelie might've been in a state of near-invulnerability, but who said that she couldn't be immobilized? The Far Easterner felt the icy-grip of Adelie's right hand easily grab hold of her by the wrist, the other shooting in for a nasty jab to the face. In any other situation, Akemi would've panicked and maybe tried to pull her arm back towards her...

Instead, Akemi pulled her arm out.

At the same time that Adelie's right arm was suddenly yanked out in front of her, Akemi's left hand pulled away from her katana's handle and firmly pushed down on Adelie's right shoulder, and her left foot awkwardly stomped down on the inside of the elf's right knee. If all went well, then Akemi would have Adelie in a tough bind to break herself out of!

So naturally, Akemi forgot to take hold of Adelie's wrist...

Last edited:
Instead of backing off, Akemi lunged forward with her katana up in front of her. Adelie might've been in a state of near-invulnerability, but who said that she couldn't be immobilized? The Far Easterner felt the icy-grip of Adelie's right hand easily grab hold of her by the wrist, the other shooting in for a nasty jab to the face. In any other situation, Akemi would've panicked and maybe tried to pull her arm back towards her...

Instead, Akemi pulled her arm out.

At the same time that Adelie's right arm was suddenly yanked out in front of her, Akemi's left hand pulled away from her katana's handle and firmly pushed down on Adelie's right shoulder, and her left foot awkwardly stomped down on the inside of the elf's right knee. If all went well, then Akemi would have Adelie in a tough bind to break herself out of!

So naturally, Akemi forgot to take hold of Adelie's wrist...
If Akemi had been paying more attention to the situation than her planning, maybe she would have felt something off about how lazily Adelie had grabbed her wrist, how telegraphed the slap with her other hand had been, or how easily she had allowed herself to be pulled. Not to mention the loss of feeling in her right hand that had been grabbed by the elf.

What Akemi did notice was that in response to her efforts to bring the elf down, there was barely any give, ice crystals supporting the woman's legs - it was like she was pushing against a stone wall. Her hand in contact with Adelie's shoulder grew red before it went pale white as the elf's skin, frost glimmering like sweat in the moonlight. The elf released her right wrist to reveal it in even worse condition, the flesh blistered red and purple.

"If you're planning on throwing your life into a gambit, don't go half-way."

Adelie haphazardly grabbed the leg that had attempted to kick her down a little above the knee, before violently lifting Akemi up by the limb without any care. As Akemi's remaining leg, the one uninjured from their previous bout, struggled to keep her standing, it was kicked out from under her with a sickening crunch noise, and Akemi was dropped to the ground before the frostbite from their contact progressed too far.

"It won't be worth anything to those you're leaving behind if you die without achieving anything."

Adelie's second set of words were punctuated by the sound of crashing glass, though it was unknown if Akemi could hear either noise through the pain she was doubtlessly feeling at the moment. Adelie gave the Far Easterner a moment to recover before continuing, hoping that the girl would have room to listen with that moment to pull herself together. "Miss Kurama, you are still breathing and have not surrendered, so this round is not over. What will you do now?" For now, the elf woman stood still a distance away, having at some point moved all the way from where their scuffle had taken place to where Akemi had placed the potion. She didn't seem like she would remain still, though, one foot already positioned in front of the other to resume her walking.

It took a commendable effort from Akemi to not scream or bite her tongue clean off when she felt her leg bend in an unnatural manner. She was sure that she should have fainted from the pain, anyone should've since it was the only thing Akemi was even vaguely aware of. Her head spun around wildly inside itself, and her vision threatened to blur or even black out entirely as Akemi struggled to right herself into something of a respectable kneel or equivalent.

"Miss Kurama, you are still breathing and have not surrendered, so this round is not over. What will you do now?"

"I don't know, why don't you tell me since I'm all out of clues!?" The sheer amount of venom in Akemi's voice was surprising given the girl's earlier attitude and composure, but it seemed that pain did a lot of things to bring out the color in anybody's voice. "If this is supposed to be a lesson on much I suck at fighting, then you're doing pretty fucking bang-up job at it! Gah!" Akemi was forced to use her katana as a makeshift cane as she unsteadily got up to a kneel on her unbroken leg. "If this is supposed to be some sort of lesson on putting my all into any commitment I make down in the dungeon, then I guess putting my mind and body into it only counts as "half-way" then!"

"And if all this is supposed to be about me learning when to call it quits and run, then sorry to say that I believe "quitting" and "dying" are one and the same word
!"

Akemi forced herself to kneel on her broken leg, raising her katana in one more act of defiance characteristic to Far Easterners.

"I'd sooner fight to the end then just lay down and accept death like a coward!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back