• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Dark Law

GojiBean

Your resident irradiated Kaiju King
Roleplay Type(s)
Hoyo!

So, I came up with a character concept for a private RP I'm doing on Discord with some friends. And after finishing work on the character, who's a spy in a medieval fantasy with magic and multiple nations and such, I thought about what it would be like for him (with a few character changes) to live in a modern world working alongside a detective who started their career down on their luck and has since clawed their way to the to.

Thus, we have the central premise of Dark Law.

The RP focuses on a detective who has a network of questionable sources who, though unscrupulous in their own daily dealings, have seldom failed to provide them with worthwhile information that's led them to close many a mysterious and/or abnormal case that nobody else, least of all the deadbeat police, could solve.

Available Roles

The Detective - To Be Filled

The Fence - To Be Filled

The Mole - To Be Filled

The Information 'Broker' - GojiBean

So, a little about the roles!!

The Detective is the central protagonist of the RP, and it's their story we will be following along with as they go about their career taking on cases which require the help of three rather questionable contacts they happen to possess from both the criminal underworld, and law enforcement. Part of their history is that they wanted to be a police detective. But they were rejected for frivolous and baseless reasons (you can come up with the exact reasons), and driven to pursue work as a private detective instead. Today, although it's more a happy side effect, they're able to use their success to make the police look incompetent which, so far, has been payback enough for their earlier rejection. However, this does make their relationship with The Mole a bit touch and go. The Mole loves their work and takes their job very seriously. And although they're friends with The Detective, any conversation about law enforcement needs to be carefully navigated so as not to offend or antagonize The Mole, lest The Detective risk losing their cooperation which would be a serious detriment to their success.

The Fence is the one who helps acquire any tools or items The Detective needs to properly investigate the cases they're working on. Occasionally, evidence disappears from crime scenes and are never seen again. The Fence knows who to talk to in order to recover those items. However, The Detective will need to make sure they can afford The Fence's fees. After all, they have a dangerous job and take a lot of risks behind the scenes to get The Detective what they want and need.

The Mole is a law enforcement officer who carefully leaks the police's findings to the Detective. Sometimes it's online exchanges. Sometimes it's in person when The Detective comes to visit. Their relationship is that they were old friends in school, and that they more or less fell out of regular contact after pursuing different career paths within law enforcement. They're still friends. However, The Mole is none too pleased about the stigma The Detective has against the police and the work they do. As such, the two remain on carefully cordial terms and have agreed to work together as long as they keep personal thoughts about each other's methods to themselves. This relationship, so far, has allowed The Detective to avoid time that would otherwise be wasted on red tape that comes with trying to get the information legitimately from police custody.

The Information 'Broker' buys and sells information in the underworld which is often invaluable to the Detective's success. However, like The Fence's physical services the information services of the Information Broker do not come cheap. They put themselves through a lot of risks to gather the information The Detective needs. It also doesn't help that they are somewhat narcissistic, and seem to delight in being difficult to work with.

/divide] Any takers for the three open roles?! Cheers! ~ GojiBean

This looks interesting! Are there any police roles available? Or just these?

The Mole is a police officer, yes. They just also happen to be a friend of the Detective and will, cautiously, leak any information the police have already collected to the Detective if/when asked so they can avoid the hassle and red tape of asking the department formally.

The Mole is a police officer, yes. They just also happen to be a friend of the Detective and will, cautiously, leak any information the police have already collected to the Detective if/when asked so they can avoid the hassle and red tape of asking the department formally.
I got that, yeah. I was actually asking about any other police characters. Maybe someone who works against the detective, an old rival of sorts. Just to add some flavour and drama.

I got that, yeah. I was actually asking about any other police characters. Maybe someone who works against the detective, an old rival of sorts. Just to add some flavour and drama.

Ah, I see.

Unfortunately, I don't implement antagonist/opposing character roles in my RP's. I can understand the desire for drama and opposition. But I believe there's already plenty of that inherent in the design of the RP as it is.

For example, both The Mole and the Detective need only slip up once in the wrong place at the wrong time and they could both be investigated, arrested, tried in court, and imprisoned for their activities behind closed doors. Both The Fence and the Info Broker have to deal with the kinds of folks who'll kill you as soon as look at you if the deals being made behind the scenes don't go perfectly. And either of them could choose to betray the Detective at any time if the right sum of money is offered by a client. The reverse is also true. The Detective could arrest either of them at any time if their relationship sours too badly. Or, if the Detective feels that their activities are leading down a path too dangerous for the Detective to follow, and that could endanger too many innocent lives or people they know and care about.

So, yeah. That's my stance.

Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back