• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Dante's Capitalism

@Cephalo glad I made you crack up, and that was pretty much my exact reasoning behind choosing the third floor (I mistakenly said that it was the second. Sowwy~). Also, I reserved Glasya-Labolas for you

@gogojojo331 ayyyyyy~ Yeah, I'm back and glad to see a familiar... avatar. Anyway, which role would you like to reserve?

@CrimsonEclipse I could allow for there to be a twin demon... That is, of course, if you make the two kind of function as one, you know? Maybe speak in unison... Anyway, I like the idea~

@Sizniche sure thing, amigo~

Now, to all of you who are thinking of participating - I have created an official thread and finished up the Sign-ups tab so that you guys can start making your characters while I add some important and crucial information to the overview. Basically, just head over there and lets gets started~

HornedGhost said:
@Pretzel Heart oh my gosh, you studied Dante's work in school!? I am so jealous. We only as much as mentioned it as one of the things that began the Renaissance... Anyway, I am happy to hear that you like the idea with its, as you put it, lolzy take on the Divine Comedy. So, do you want me to reserve you any spot in particular for you?
Ah man it looks like things got busy while I was asleep but I hope it's not too late to be a human character. D:

But yeah I'm kind of a Dante dork because of that...never thought I'd fall in love with the story of a thousand year old dead man and his broship with his favorite author. Some parts are just so damn emotional and it's actually pretty political and progressive in some ways despite being pigeonholed as "religious" (which it is obviously just also got a lot else going on there).

Actually, it's a funny thing - Church condemned and banned Dante's book because he called out on 'forgivness tax' - a term I literally don't know how to translate from my mothertongue.

He also put the LIVING POPE in the Hell. Like. The one that was the Pope at that fuckin time. If that ain't hardcore, I dunno what is. He was set in stone upside down, with his legs outside caught on fire, and all the people were just eternally slamming together their legs to try to shut it down.

The biggest irony? His book just sent all the people into Church because everyone got scared of his version of Hell. :u

TBH, I liked Boccaccio better. =u=

Last edited by a moderator:
Heheh yeah he certainly didn't try to hide the political aspect of it. Poor man just wanted to see his birthplace again. :/ He was also pretty pro-women (Beatrice = Jesus had to have pissed some people off) so I can imagine the Church getting mad about that. I actually haven't studied the history of the text after it was finished much, just leading up to it and the work itself, but that would be really interesting. Almost everything in there about Hell I think he made up, he even twisted some things that had a definitive Christian standpoint (like who gets to live in Limbo). But he was a man with a plan which is why it's so damn good. I haven't studied much medieval European literature outside of Dante, but according to Internet Boccaccio was the one who first called it the "Divine Comedy." That's kind of interesting.

It does make me sad most people tend to focus on Inferno when personally I like Purgatorio best. B)

I am from Croatia, and we study literature pretty extensively here. We only read Dante's vision of Hell though, not other two parts of it.

Oh, Boccaccio is a shitposter of that age. Seriously, if you ever have time, read a bit of Dekameron - it's got a guy from the 15th century writing freely and openly about some fun things. His stories are so fuckin' good. There was one about guy who pretended to be mute to sneak into a nuns-only monastery, and since he was kinda cute, two young nuns decided they wanted to have a bit fun.

Turns out they loved it so much and suddenly EVERY nun wanted to try it, and they started fighting for him 24/7 - and the guy was so exhausted he couldn't please them all, so he was just like, stop, noo, I really can't anymore. And they were like oh God, he can talk, but decided to let him stay, and made a well organized schedule at what time who can have him. :u

There are some really bizzare and cool ones, but I'mma let you look into them on your own. 8)

@HornedGhost Well I really wanted a human but since I got timezoned screwed it seems can I have Demon 9th level? I didn't think I'd be good at a demon role but I looked at it again and if it's selfishness I think I could relate. Butifahumanhappenstodrop...

@Pushks You should definitely read the whole thing...well Paradiso got a bit preachy in some parts which is why I like Purgatorio better but the Dante/Virgil bromance is so strong and the layers upon layers of literary allusions @,@ That Dekameron thing sounds interesting though, it would be interesting to compare it to La Comedia as its successor.

I'm more of a Romanticist/Modernist myself so I usually read things from the 17/1800's onwards. Also I've been trying to read more Eastern literature lately, it's been awesome. I'm not a huge lit buff so it's more a hobby for me and once in a while I can study it for fun. B)

@gogojojo331 for now Imma reserve the 3rd Demon for you, seeing as that was your first choice~ If you change your mind just say so~

@Pretzel Heart aaah... this is the only exception I am going to make but, seeing as we are still in the beginning, I think that adding one more human spot won't do anyone any harm~ Also, I like the relation between 6 and 9 better... because the former is two times three, while the latter is three times three, and you also need to add three to six in order to get nine...

By the way, Decameron is gold~ We also got the chance to study it in I think the... 9th grade??? Alongside Bel Ami, naturally, 'cause our educational system decided it would be fun to focus on Renaissance and Modern erotica, instead skipping over Dante's Divine Comedy, which was pretty much the thing to kickstart the whole rebirth of ancient ideas and ideals, putting an end to the Middle Ages... Which is illogical to me personally but, nevertheless, Boccacccio and Maupassant are wonderful

@HornedGhost You are a saint bless (even if you're a demon in this RP)

You guys studied all this awesome stuff wthecky. I was in an IB school so we did a lot of world lit and actually didn't hit Europe very much outside of Shakespeare...I think my favorite thing that we read was Ficciones and Sound and the Fury but they are both modern, (hence my conversion). But after studying Dante and your guys' words you make me want to poke around some more.

@Pretzel Heart

I personally like modern things better, but I had to do Boccaccio for school reading. 'S got some awesome stories in it.

Argh, I was going to reccommend you guys one Croatian writer who wrote one of my favourite things in it, but he's not been translated to English. He actually falls under exact category we are talking about - modern literature from 1800es and all.

Dostoevsky tho, and Balzac's La Pere Goriot. <3 Kafka is also a good read. c:

@Pushks Language barrier always sucks. :')

I read Crime and Punishment before and Underground Man at some point. Also some short stories by Kafka (actually not the "Metamorphosis" though you'd think that would be the obvious one lol). I went through an Existentialism interest phase, haha. The third one I've also never heard of. D:

//You thought this was an RP, but it was me, Literature Lesson

Oh my god, I am literally reading Kafka right now ("essential" works such as The Trial and Metamorphosis, etc) and it's so... bizarre. It literally feels as if you are going through a narration of someone's nightmare.

Anyway, I should stop getting distracted~

@Pretzel Heart

Balzac doesn't fall under modern category, but rather European realism, HOWEVER. He was a cool guy, a coffee addict (he would get up at night to have a cup of coffee bc he couldn't sleep otherwise), and he wrote a. Fuckin. Lot. And here's a cool thing, related to our rp! He named his books cycle as a parody to Dante - he named it Human Comedy! He represented all kinds of characters in it, lying, stealing, love, cheating - poor students, rich girls, good people, bad people. It was quite a change and a refreshment after whole romanticism period.

Even though I liked romanticism a lot (Sorrows of Young Werther and Eugene Onegin). Hurr hurr.

Anyway, if you catch some time, read La Pere Goriot. It's a great read.

@HornedGhost

I'm just reading Kafka as well. 8) I liked Metamorphosis, lmfao, poor Gregor. Actually, I was writing an analyzation essay about it today.

Haha I should probably go write that Bune CS.

And now you have me questioning why I never get to study any of this literature in school. So jealous. -_-

Hello everyone. Since the day I decided on joining RPNation I have gone on hiatus three times in total due to medical reasons, both my own and those of relatives. Well, I am going to have to go away again... for a long long while. In fact, I am thinking of quitting roleplaying on a whole since so far it's just been a method for me to diverge myself from the important things occurring around me, which however must be dealt with.

Thus, I am sorry for wasting everyone's time and putting you guys down but I am leaving. If you want to roleplay this idea, please don't... I wish to retain it and possibly use it in the future for personal purposes. Sorry that I am not even presenting you with the option of changing GMs, yet I simply want to keep my rights as the creator behind the plot... Again, I apologize and my stay on RPNation was definitely nice while it lasted. Thank you all for that.

Oh hun, hope you're alright. You had a great idea and if you do ever get back to roleplaying, just tag me and I'll be there!

I am super sorry to hear that. :( You seem like a cool pal.

I wish you the best with all of that! D:

@HornedGhost Ah, I was looking forward to RPing with you. But it's understandable you need to take care of things; hope you will make progress and maybe come back one day. ;)

I'm glad that you are doing what's best for yourself. No roleplay, no matter it's promise, is worth the well being of your own life. I'll miss getting the chance to write with you, as seem like a pretty cool nightmare, but I don't blame you for a second. Let me know if you ever sell this story as a novel! Best of luck. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back