Damsels and Dragons

Goddammit - this seems exactly like the kind of choice I did not want to make... think I want to save Gregori, if only to hear his rant on how stupid Jason is to not rescue the Incarnate.

Goddamn it. This is a hard choice to make. I love Gregori, he's my favorite but... it turns out that the waifu power is too damn strong to resist.

Should I pick one hot smokin' babe over everybody's favorite grandpa?

Hmm. Sadist choice.

Anyways, as much as I like to see Jason get laid I'm gonna pick Gregori. Bros over hoes, guys.

>Gregori.

I want to vote for Matilda but I want to see some Divine invention or what happens if the chosen one dies.

>Gregori

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so it's clear: whichever one you pick, the other isn't getting back up after this. They're out of the game for keeps.

No chance to slay seven malicious beasts, sacrifice half of our life span and any chance to return home, and fight our way through hell to prove our eternal love to the Gods and get Matilda back? That's kind of sad... oh well, one reason more to stick to the guy who's probably the most familiar with advanced necromancy...

Ah, fair enough. The talk of "divine intervention" made me think that I had failed to communicate that clearly.

Ugh, goddamnit this was not at all my intention. Now I just feel like an idiot.

I mean I don't know what would happen.  It could be death.  It could be "bad ass moment."

Sorry. I kind of regret the comment now.  I mean, you did a good job of building Matilda's character.  Her death would have major impact on the world, not just Jason.  You are a good enough writer to pull it off. :)   

Well, I picked Gregori because I wanted to see what happens if the Black King wins. I mean, he's been losing all this time, so why not let the poor sucker win once?

Well, I picked Gregori because I wanted to see what happens if the Black King wins. I mean, he's been losing all this time, so why not let the poor sucker win once?

I am generally against bad dudes winning, to be honest. It makes for a darker story that doesn't usually jive with me. =/ I don't want Gregori to die though....

I am generally against bad dudes winning, to be honest. It makes for a darker story that doesn't usually jive with me. =/ I don't want Gregori to die though....

Really? Eh, I personally think its more interesting if the bad guy wins. I guess it's only a matter of taste. And I don't want Gregori to die either, but what about Matilda? Surely you'd pick her over Gregori.

Really? Eh, I personally think its more interesting if the bad guy wins. I guess it's only a matter of taste. And I don't want Gregori to die either, but what about Matilda? Surely you'd pick her over Gregori.

Gregori isn't necessarily 'bad' though, or at least not what we've seen. He's not nearly as virtuous as Matilda, certainly, but he has a certain charisma and he has interesting motivations that are not so crystal clear as "save everyone." Matilda is refreshing in her dogged determination. Sure it's easy to say "do the right thing" but maintaining the conviction, even when death is before you, and not selfishly wavering is not by any means common. I don't see it as a super clear cut choice. There is no "right" answer at all, or even a "good" answer. We don't know if Gregori is actually, beneath his grumpy exterior, actually a person that could become heroic. And we also don't know what mysteries may be revealed through Matilda as the chosen of the gods. Why was she chosen? For what purpose? Why were there so many before her?

Gregori isn't necessarily 'bad' though, or at least not what we've seen. He's not nearly as virtuous as Matilda, certainly, but he has a certain charisma and he has interesting motivations that are not so crystal clear as "save everyone." Matilda is refreshing in her dogged determination. Sure it's easy to say "do the right thing" but maintaining the conviction, even when death is before you, and not selfishly wavering is not by any means common. I don't see it as a super clear cut choice. There is no "right" answer at all, or even a "good" answer. We don't know if Gregori is actually, beneath his grumpy exterior, actually a person that could become heroic. And we also don't know what mysteries may be revealed through Matilda as the chosen of the gods. Why was she chosen? For what purpose? Why were there so many before her?

I never thought of it that way, so your insight is really refreshing, thanks. Well, uh, I wasn't clear about who the bad guy was.

I actually meant the Black King. I wanted to see what happens if he wins. I believe he's one of those affably evil types, those people who have a polite demeanor that masks the evil that lurks within them. And despite being beaten back so many times, he keeps getting up and up again to fight the gods. And he said that he wanted the gods to give something back to him. What's the Black King fighting for? And just who are these gods? What is the Sun and the Stars? The Earth and the Sky? What do they owe the Black King?

Does the Black King just want to dominate the world? Or does he want something far more precious? The Black King may be the antagonist, but there are so many mysteries surrounding him. That's not all. I generally tend to favor evil characters more, because there's just something in evil people that I want to study and explore. I just want to know what makes a person so evil.

Anyway, I like Gregori slightly more than Matilda. They're both good characters. I'm only sticking with Gregori because I would just really pick a grumpy old man over a girl. I think they're much better company.

Plus, I'd like to see how people would react if they would meet Gregori. I mean, everybody's wary of him since he's a bit of a loose cannon. Everybody treats Matilda with respect but I bet people would try to avoid Gregori like the plague. Gregori also wants to leave his mark on the world because he's getting old. So if he dies, a memory of him will live on until the end of time itself. If he dies, he'll leave nothing for the world to remember him. If he lives, he's got one last shot to make it right.

If Jason picks him over Matilda, then Gregori would probably be partly blamed for the Incarnate's death so... yeah. Everybody's got more reasons to be pissed at him. But in spite of all that, I want to see how Gregori reacts to all this. Will he collapse under all the pressure or will all of these events eventually bring out the best in him?

He wants to leave a mark on the world. I will give him that chance. Don't disappoint us, Gregori!

I'd expect that we'll see more of the Black King regardless - I doubt that our little intervention would end things right then and there. Personally, I also feel like Gregori's story shouldn't just end here, eaten by a dragon. I somehow want that old man to succeed in the end - that said, the same holds for Matilda as well... think @JayTee just did way too good of a job with both of them... I could have tossed a coin instead of making a choice, and been happy (or unhappy, depending on what you're looking at) either way.

Hmm, so I vote for Gregori...

Silanon, you sure about that vote for Gregori?

Two votes for Gregori in total.

And we've got wonderandawe giving one vote for Matilda.

I guess I pick Matilda, though I really dislike picking a choice. =|

I got what you meant, but I never like having a villain "win." Setbacks are normal with conflicts and can enrich a story, but killing Matilda would be a huge setback. Gregori does not necessarily seem equipped to be able to take on The Black King, nor does Jason (unless he becomes the Incarnate in the absence of Matilda). I don't really care about The Black King because antagonist very rarely appeal to me in any way. Sure, I want to know what makes them tick, but I never go so far as to empathize with them. I actually avoid stories that glorify, justify, or defend someone who is conventionally nefarious (killing innocent people, destroying wanton amounts of property for personal satisfaction, etc.) because I simply can't get past what they did... and regardless of their mental state they are a bad person. While I don't doubt The Black King has reasons for what he's done it still stands he slaughters people for his goals, people whose only apparent crime is existing under gods he despises. Are the gods guilty? Very possibly, which makes things intriguing, but not for one minute do I forget The Black King is still doing heinous things. And I can't get past that. I don't want him to win. I want his cocky ass to be surprised when everything isn't as predictable as he thought and people aren't as expendable as he presumed.

As for Gregori... I would love for him to rise beyond what he is. Despite all his flaws I do believe there is something redeemable in him and redemption arcs are my favorite thing ever; however, he has made his mark on the world. He trained Jason. Jason could use more training I'm sure but he got the protege he always wanted. What has Matilda accomplished? If she dies now she has not pushed back The Black King like her predecessors. She's died like all the rest at his feet but this time she failed. That would be her mark on the world: failure. Does she deserve that? Perhaps she embraces being the Incarnate but it appears that's been her whole life. What if she succeeded and didn't die? Who would she be then? Would she just be Matilda? Who is that person? Would she be that girl in the car, skeptical of its machinations, with no title and the freedom to pick her destiny beyond the war?

I guess I pick Matilda, though I really dislike picking a choice. =|

I got what you meant, but I never like having a villain "win." Setbacks are normal with conflicts and can enrich a story, but killing Matilda would be a huge setback. Gregori does not necessarily seem equipped to be able to take on The Black King, nor does Jason (unless he becomes the Incarnate in the absence of Matilda). I don't really care about The Black King because antagonist very rarely appeal to me in any way. Sure, I want to know what makes them tick, but I never go so far as to empathize with them. I actually avoid stories that glorify, justify, or defend someone who is conventionally nefarious (killing innocent people, destroying wanton amounts of property for personal satisfaction, etc.) because I simply can't get past what they did... and regardless of their mental state they are a bad person. While I don't doubt The Black King has reasons for what he's done it still stands he slaughters people for his goals, people whose only apparent crime is existing under gods he despises. Are the gods guilty? Very possibly, which makes things intriguing, but not for one minute do I forget The Black King is still doing heinous things. And I can't get past that. I don't want him to win. I want his cocky ass to be surprised when everything isn't as predictable as he thought and people aren't as expendable as he presumed.

As for Gregori... I would love for him to rise beyond what he is. Despite all his flaws I do believe there is something redeemable in him and redemption arcs are my favorite thing ever; however, he has made his mark on the world. He trained Jason. Jason could use more training I'm sure but he got the protege he always wanted. What has Matilda accomplished? If she dies now she has not pushed back The Black King like her predecessors. She's died like all the rest at his feet but this time she failed. That would be her mark on the world: failure. Does she deserve that? Perhaps she embraces being the Incarnate but it appears that's been her whole life. What if she succeeded and didn't die? Who would she be then? Would she just be Matilda? Who is that person? Would she be that girl in the car, skeptical of its machinations, with no title and the freedom to pick her destiny beyond the war?

I'll think about this. I honestly don't know what I really want.

I just think that there is more to this Black King guy.

Conversations like these are why I write these damned things.  :smile1:

Well, congrats, JayTree, you've put us up in the crossroads now. We're having such a hard time picking between Matilda and Gregori that we've reached a draw.

Me and Silanon have voted for Gregori. wonderandawe and Syrenei have voted for Matilda. It's 2 versus 2 now.

Unless someone changes the tide we're gonna have to flip heads or tails. And I say that Gregori gets the tails and Matilda gets the heads. I've heard that tails never fails.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've done some thinking, and I've decided to delay things until next week in order to get more votes and possibly a tie breaker.

I do this because this is a choice that will have a massive impact on just about every aspect of the quest's setting, regardless of what gets picked, and I feel it's something that cannot be left up to a simple roll of the dice.

If next friday comes around and there still isn't any clear decision, I'll cast my own vote for whichever option I feel has the greatest potential for an interesting story.

Which, uh, I still haven't settled on just yet.

So I've done some thinking, and I've decided to delay things until next week in order to get more votes and possibly a tie breaker.

I do this because this is a choice that will have a massive impact on just about every aspect of the quest's setting, regardless of what gets picked, and I feel it's something that cannot be left up to a simple roll of the dice.

If next friday comes around and there still isn't any clear decision, I'll cast my own vote for whichever option I feel has the greatest potential for an interesting story.

Which, uh, I still haven't settled on just yet.

Good luck, JayTree. I'm really watching this and though I'm rooting for Gregori, I wouldn't mind if you picked Matilda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back