Damsels and Dragons

GREGORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

I suggest you do a heads or tales between Gregori and Jason.

Gregori will have tales. Jason will have heads.

Tales never fails!

(Original Post: Jason for now. You... you better write Gregori well! Or I'll... I'll... throw a really really cold ice cream cake on your face.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I set up a huge ass fight between Gregori and a Dragon and y'all wanna see what Jason is up to? 

I'd be annoyed if I didn't find the situation so hilariously typical. Players, man. I swear to god.  :smile9:

Really? I set up a huge ass fight between Gregori and a Dragon and y'all wanna see what Jason is up to? 

I'd be annoyed if I didn't find the situation so hilariously typical. Players, man. I swear to god.  :smile9:

I've seen/read countless battles of a battle mage fighting a dragon. 

Never seen an IT tech fight a non digital dragon.  

Ah, hm. Well, I don't want to spoil anything, but I have... other... plans for Jason. Mostly revolving around fixing an issue that I've noticed he's developed as the story has progressed.

Ideally the best postings order would be Gregori next, and then Jason. But I'm not going to tell you which one to vote for, as I have ways of making it work.

Normally I wouldn't say anything, but I don't want anyone to be disappointed when that fight doesn't happen.

Sorry.

GREGORI since he'll fight the dragon. 

But while it would be interesting to see that from Jason's perspective, I don't want to miss out on the action.

Also I think if we choose between characters it tends towards a popularity contest instead. 

To be honest, I don't expect Jason to fight the dragon or if he does, win.  I just want to see his reaction when the dragon comes on the scene.   

Though it would be funny if Gregori does all the work and Jason ends up killing stealing the mage.  Gregori would be pissed!

Any who, I'm going to stick with my Jason vote.  Mostly as pay it forward Karma for all the times my quest players voted for something unexpected. :P   

Gregori, Gregori!!

BADASS DRAGON BATTLE!

Erm, what are we at for votes right now? I might be willing to use my double vote here if it makes any difference. :P

It's Jason 4, Gregori 2 right now. If you were to double yours, it would be 4 to 3, but I imagine that some could be convinced to change their vote (if you do, just edit your post, please). In that case it would be a tie, but votes aren't locked in until midnight on Thursday. 

I'd be willing to change the perceptive to Jason if we get a quick cut scene of Jason's perspective of the Dragon Fight.   

You mean Gregori? I can make that happen on Jason's post, easy. I had planed on it, actually.

Just a heads up, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get a post in for this week. I'm currently visiting my grandmother for her birthday and I don't know if I'll have time to write the post.

Sorry for the delay.

>Gregori

High atop the cliffs, Gregori watched as the  forces gathered below moved in to position for the assault. With him were a few of Martin's little magicians, busy preparing their mystic foci or chanting their incantations or whatever it was that amateurs did to make themselves seem bigger and more important than they really were.

Idiots, the lot of them. He knew that most of them had peaked as far as the magical arts were concerned, barely worth his time or efforts to even acknowledge as people. He doubted any of them had the talent needed to master the techniques he had singlehandedly pioneered. Odds are that they would likely get themselves killed at some point in the future, and all the time and effort spent making them in to something vaguely useful would have gone to waste.

Begrudgingly, Gegori did have to acknowledge that a few of them did have potential. Barely. Timid as he was, Daniel was almost decent at shaping the power, and Caroline, bluster aside, might one day become efficient at gathering the mystic energies. It was really the only reason he had bothered to learn their names.

A war horn's dreadful call shook him from his thoughts, and he looked down below, watching Martian's forces surge forth. They smashed in to the goblin hoards with unmatched fury, cutting them down as they scrambled to mount some kind of resistance to the surprise attack. That, combined with the superhuman speed, strength and toughness bestowed upon them earlier, made them a very effective force. 

The plan now was for Gregori to prevent the Black King's forces from coordinating any kind of counter attack by keeping them off balance. While Matilda massacred her way on one end of the beach and Martin's army engaged the other, he had the center all of himself. Well, him and the amateurs.

"Behold!" The mages cried in unison as they cast their spells. "The brilliant flame of the Aderan Empire! May it's eternal glory bring ruin and despair to it's enemies and victory to it's defenders!" Bolts of fire spat forth from their outstretched hands, impacting the ships and detonating among the goblin swarms with a dozen small fiery explosions, further adding to the chaos as they tried to douse the flames and overcome the sudden assault on their senses, to say nothing of the newly maimed.

Gregori sighed and resisted the urge to shake his head. You could tell a lot by how a magician cast their spells. The longer the incantation, the more time they needed to focus their power in to a spell. The more forces they invoked when casting, the less likely they had any real power of merit. Holding out out his hand, Gregori began his own incantation.

"Be swept away by my black winds."

Down below, at the point where Gregori was pointing, everything just... died. Goblins withered away instantly, all vitality and life snuffed out like a candle. The ships they were departing from went from pristine and newly landed, to rotting husks that looked as though they had spend decades exposed to the wind and rain.

The other magicians stopped what they were doing and looked at Gregori with newfound fear and respect. It took all of them working in concert to do what he had accomplished with a single spell. He, naturally, ignored the slack-jawed gapes of the plebeians beside him, and instead swept his hand to the side. The field of pure death moved in unison with his hand, sending two ships and hundreds of goblins to their deaths. Sadly the spell could only be sustained for so long, and he was forced to abandon it before long. 

With large swaths of the enemy forces decimated, Gregori leaned on his staff as he felt his age catching up with him. Disguising it as nonchalance, he turned to David and Caroline. "You two, take point and focus fire, don't just throw your magic everywhere. The rest of you idiots should focus on making them stronger. Be the shaft to their spearhead." He said, glowering at them.

The magicians were about to move, either to protest his stratagem (unlikely) or to obey, when a sound echoed throughout the night. The beating of wings and a roar that dulled the sounds of battle below with it's fury.

Gregori didn't hesitate for a moment, gripping his staff and pulling ever scrap of power he could muster, he began to rapidly call his magic. "I reject all that would offend me!"

His protective spell was all that saved him from incineration. 

A blast of molten fire, hotter than the magma beneath the earth, scorched the clifftops where he was standing. The magicians Martin had sent up with him died instantly, charred to a crisp under the weight of dragon fire. Gregori was relatively unscathed, though, aside from some minor burns. Liquid fire rolled off the spherical protective barrier he had erected at the last moment, and while a some of it had managed to pierce the shield, his spell had saved him from any true harm. Shaking off the residue of the attack, he looked up at his assailant.

Twenty feet tall and almost three times as long, with four claw tipped limbs and massive wings, the dragon hovered well above him, looking down at the grizzled old magus with a predatory gaze. It's batlike wings beat a storm of wind that Gregori had to lean in to to avoid being knocked over. It had been a long time since Gregori had seen a dragon, and longer still since he had been forced to fight one. Even with his power, they were formidable beasts.

Bracing himself for another attack, Gregori was surprised when the Dragon did not, on fact, breath another torrent of fire. Instead, the massive creature began to descend, landing before the wizard. To his continued surprise, the beast lowered it's head to touch the ground, and a man climbed down from off it's back.

"So." The man said, looking at Gregori. "Is it you? Are you the Incarnate?"

The man was tall, with long black hair that hung loose about his shoulders. He was barefooted and bare chested, wearing only a set of thick cloth pants. Despite this, his toned and wiry figure was dotted with scars and callouses, setting Gregori instantly on edge. 

"The Black King."

"Got it in one." The Black King said, smiling. "But you didn't answer my question. Are you the Incarnate?"

A blade suddenly protruded from the Black King's forehead scarlet with his blood and smeared with his brainmatter. Behind him, Matilda stood with her sword through the back of his head.

"No." She said, removing her sword from the Black King and cutting off his head with a sideways slash. "That would be me."

>>>

On the other side of the beach, Matilda watched in horror as the Dragon completely destroyed their spell support. No one would have expected a dragon, of all things, to find it's way on to the battlefield. How do you even plan for something like that?

As the Dragon made it's attack run, strafing the magicians and breathing fire, she saw on it's back a human-shaped figure. Something stirred within her, a sense of deja vu, of recognition. It was the Black King! She was sure of it!

With that realization, her horror gave way to a steel resolve, and with a flash of her blade she dispatched the last goblin attacking her before kneeling down once more.

"Oh sun and sky, grant me swiftness so I may meet my enemy. Give me the speed of the winds and the grace to dance along the sky as you do."

Before she could even finish her prayer, a torrent of wind enveloped her, lifting her off her feet. Giving a silent word of thanks, she crouched down and braced herself against the ship, before launching herself in to the air, arching over the full expanse between herself and her destined rival.

Adjusting herself in mid air as the dragon descended, she landed silently behind the Black King as he was speaking to Gregori. Taking no chances, she immediately lunged forth, burying her blade in the Black King's skull.

>>>

Gregori watched as the now headless figure of the Black King fell to the ground with a meaty thud. He paused for a moment, somewhat surprised that it had been that easy, before looking up at Matilda. "Efficient." He said with a tone that sounded almost like approval. "I didn't expect that, but then again neither did he. I suppose after all this time he got too arrogant."

Matilda too, looked a little surprised. "I suppose you are right." She said, sheathing her sword after wiping the blood off of it. "I cannot believe it's over so fast. I suppose the realization hasn't set it just yet."

Gregori was about to respond, when a voice rang out.

"Well! Do you know how long it takes to build one of those?" It was the Black King's voice, coming from behind them. The decapitated figure that was on the ground before them slowly faded away in to black water and grimy, coarse sand. 

Turning, weapons drawn and arcane power gathered, the Incarnate and the Battelcaster faced the origin of the voice. The Black King stood there, with his Dragon just behind him, shaking his head.

"Two months." The Black King said. "Two months to build a simulacrum, and you off it like that." He said, snapping his fingers in exasperation. "Well, I suppose it served it's purpose. Very impressive assassination attempt.  Would have liked to have gotten more use out of it, but what can you do?" He asked.

"You can die!" Matilda shouted, rushing him with her sword out. Her blade met the Black King's arm as he crossed them in front of himself in a block, and a shower of red-purple sparks burst forth from the impact, leaving him unharmed. In retaliation, the Black King lashed out with a kick, sending Matilda flying back, where she landed roughly some ten feet away.

The Black King didn't have time to enjoy his victory, as a wave of fire rolled out from Gregori. The Black King didn't move, though, as the wings of his dragon simply closed to shield him from the inferno.

Once the spellfire had passed, the wings lifted, and the Black King stood there unscathed with his arms crossed. "Yeah, we're not doing two on one. Kill the old man. I'll take the Incarnate." He said, moving towards where Matilda had landed.

The dragon's wings spread wide at it's master's order and took to the skies with a thunderclap of wind to put itself in a position of superior mobility.

"Oh no you don't. We will be bound until death!" Growled Gregori, dropping his staff and pointing his hand at the dragon. Inky black tentacles sprouted from his arm and wrapped themselves around the tail of the Dragon. This had the desired effect, as Gregori was pulled in to the skies along with the the beast.

The Dragon roared in fury at having an unwanted passenger, and began twisting and contorting in the air, trying to throw Gregori off. Gregori retaliated in kind as they flew through the skies, flinging lightning and rays of green death at the dragon. The rapid movements of the beast coupled with his own inability to aim properly caused his spells to go wild, smashing apart anything in their path.

The two flew higher and higher in to the sky, each trying to land a blow on the other as they tumbled over and around each other. Gregori's tentacles would not release themselves no matter how much the dragon tried to twist him off, and eventually it was only a matter of time until one of them landed a lucky shot.

Instead of continuing upward, the dragon suddenly dived down towards the ground, smashing itself against the side of the cliff in an attempt to batter Gregori off. The spherical barrier he had conjured flashed at each impact on the rocky cliffs. Now that he was closer to the ground, Gregori decided to change tactics.

"Be cut, you fat ugly lizard!" He roared, calling in to existence a blade of pure arcane energy. The spell sword spun around in the air like a deadly buzz saw, tracking the dragon down as it flew, aiming for it's heart. The Dragon twisted to avoid the attack, spiraling upwards, back over the top of the cliff. It wasn't a perfect dodge, however as the magical sword clipped one of it's wings. Not enough to cut if off, but enough to stop it from flying.

The dragon crashed in to the ground, sending dirty and debris flying. Gregory was likewise thrown, impacting the ground with enough force to shatter the barrier he had called. Rolling to his feet, he began to shout new commands to the universe as the dragon barreled down on him.

"I reject all harm!" He shouted, recalling the barrier a split second before the dragon literally pounced on him. It's front limbs and massive jaw scraped the barrier in an attempt to pry it open and eat the wizard inside, only for the inside of it's mouth to explode as the fireball Gregori conjured in to existence detonated.

Roaring in pain, the dragon backed off and lashed out with it's tail, slamming in to Gregori's barrier and sending him sprawling. A bolt of lightning shot forth from his finger tips in retaliation as soon as Gregori got to his feet, spitting blood from a broken rib, impacting the dragon's chest and further enraging it.

"I'll make cutlets out of your gullet!" Gregori snarled, calling forth two more magic blades to meet the fire the dragon spat. One of them spun so fast it became a solid disc, deflecting the majority of the fire before it could impact Gregori's barrier. The other shot out and cut deep in to the dragon's shoulder.

With another bellowing roar, the dragon moved to attack the wizard once again.

OOC

I'm forcing myself to stop here, otherwise I'd be up all night writing fight scenes. Way too much fun doing this. I'll try to have the next part, Jason's perspective of the fight and his actions during the battle, up tomorrow.

@Dullahan Shinigami[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], @Dusky, [/COLOR]@Emiya Shin[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Genon[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Heisenberg[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Killigrew[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Lavender[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Reinhardt[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Riuma[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Silanon[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Silvertongued[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@simj22[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Stormblessed[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@Syrenrei[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@White Masquerade[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)], [/COLOR]@wonderandawe

So I guess my apartment's wifi to make a liar out of me. I'm experiencing some extreeme lag right now (like, it's taken me  four minutes to type this much text) that will make writing a lengthy post impossible. I'm extremely sorry for this delay, and will try to have a post for you at it's regular update time on friday.

>Jason

It should be noted, that, Jason was not a warrior.

He had never been drilled in the arts of violence, never studied at the feet of master soldiers or skilled knights. He had never held a sword in his hand until a few days ago. The most conflict he had seen at any point in his life was a schoolyard scuffle when he had been a child, and he had lost that fight by any reasonable account.

Most would say, rightly, that he had no place on the battlefield. They would say, regardless of who his teacher had been, regardless of what strange talent he had for absorbing the knowledge and skills of others, he would be better off in the reserves, far from the front lines of fighting.

And yet...

And yet as Jason's sword parried a stray blow from a goblin, countering by burying his foot in it's chest and crushing it's ribs, all he felt was an incredible sense of calm and deadly focus.

"Keep pushing!" Roared Martin, a little ways in the distance. "Don't give them a chance to regroup!" 

The Colonel's great sword was swinging left and right, mowing down goblins like a scythe through wheat. All around Jason the imperial forces fought ferociously, continually moving forward against the Black King's troops.

Jason turned his attention back to the goblin multitudes before him, swatting aside a series of blows from their masses and attacking in kind. He knew he should be scared out of his mind, he knew he should be on the verge of panic, with the sounds of battle, scent of blood and death knells assaulting his senses. On some level, he was very uneasy, but the lessons Gregori had taught him along with the calming influence of the potions he had taken earlier allowed him to keep his cool and keep the on the attack.

A thunderous bellow echoed across the battlefield, and Jason saw a monstrous troll wading through the goblin masses. Wielding a huge war hammer and a shield the size of his car, the beast was smashing it's way though Martin's forces, and quickly becoming a rallying point for the goblin hoard.

"Someone kill that thing!" Jason heard Martin shout in urgency. He understood why, too. Even magically enhanced, Martin's troops were doomed if the goblins managed to organize, as they would be drowned in sheer numbers. Ducking under another attack and shoving his assailant aside, Jason moved to engage the massive troll before it became too late.

Running over bodies and ducking between goblin and imperial forces alike, Jason rushed the troll and rammed his blade in to the beast's leg, hoping to cripple it's movements. Sadly this only seemed to anger the troll, as it brought it's war hammer down on him with a roar of rage and pain. 

Jason dodged to the side as the warhammer impacted the ground, sending sand and debris everywhere in an explosion of earth. Jason used the momentum of his dodge to try and rebound in to another assault.

His second attack was rejected in kind by the large shield the troll interposed between itself and Jason, rewarding his efforts a deep gouge in the metal. 

A goblin, seeing it's chance, pounced on Jason, tackling him to the ground and stabbing at him with it's hatchet. Jason failed, trying to throw the creature off while keeping his arms between himself and the weapon. Flickers of light raced across his body as the hatchet scrapped against the magical protection Jason had placed on himself earlier, and a massive great sword ended the assault.

Jason found himself with a hand in his face, and he grabbed it without thinking. With a sharp jerk, Martin pulled Jason to his feet. "You going to make it?" The Colonel asked.

"I'm fine." Jason said, and then shoved Martin as hard as he could, out of the way of the troll's second attack that would have crushed the both of them had Jason not reacted so fast.

Another earth shattering blow split the earth as the warhammer impacted the ground, and Jason and Martin righted themselves and turned toward the troll. "Go left!" Jason shouted, breaking right in a run around the side of the troll. 

Whatever issues he may have had with a civilian in his forces, Martin showed none of them as he took Jason's cue without hesitation.

The two men ran at the troll from opposite angles, swords flashing with murder on their blades. It was not to be, however, as the troll swung it's hammer in a massive arc, gouging out the ground and knocking them back with the force of the debris it kicked up. 

Undeterred, Jason moved in once more, gathering the raw potentiality within him that Gregori had taught him to harness. Once more the mighty war hammer came down to crush him, but this time it met Jason's blade in an burst of blue-white fire as he released the energy, knocking the troll off balance.

"Now! Kill it now!" Jason shouted. Martin wasted no time sizing the opening Jason provided, thrusting out with his greatsword  sword to impale the troll in the heart.

Sadly, they had forgotten about it's shield, and the troll brought he towering slab of metal in front of itself to try and deflect the blow. It was a sloppy block, however, and the troll's shield arm was badly wounded in the attempt, forcing it to discard the defensive implement as it could  no longer carry it.

If Jason or Martin had thought that this would make things easier, they were sorely mistaken. Deprived of its defensive implement, the troll went berserk, swinging the war hammer around with reckless abandon. With both hands behind the massive weapon, anything that came near it was crushed in to pulp, which was the fate of some unfortunate goblins and imperial forces that happened to get in it's way as it rampaged, trying to kill it's assaults.

Forced on the defensive, Martin and Jason could only duck, dodge and weave between the blows and wait for their moment to strike. For several tense minutes, the three figures dueled amidst the sand of the beach. Jason and Martin dashing in and out of the troll's range, trying to land a killing blow while avoiding instant death themselves and only managing to land superficial cuts on the monstrous beast. 

"Things could be going better." Jason said to Martin, during a lull in the fight. The two warriors stared down at the troll, who glared murder at them in return. All three were struggling to catch their breath and recover from their still bleeding injuries. Time was not on anyone's side at the moment.

Martin glanced over at Jason, before turning his attention back to the troll. "You're welcome to offer any ideas." He said, between gritted teeth.

"Just follow my lead." Jason said, raising his own blade. With a surge of inborn energy, Jason charged the troll, yelling out a battle cry as he focused his power on the blade of his sword once more. Snarling in fury, the troll swung its war hammer at Jason with the intent to crush the lone fighter. For a second time, the mystically infused sword met the raw power of the troll's weapon, and the burst of blue-white fire once more knocked the troll off balance. 

Martin was there instantly, driving his sword deep in to the Troll's gut as the giant beast failed to react in time. Rivets of blood poured forth from the wound as the blade sank in, and In it's death throes, the troll attempted to crush Martin with it's massive bulk, only for Jason to intercept and cut off the troll's arm, and bury his sword in the troll's neck. There was a final surge of power that flowed from the troll and in to Jason in the form of blue-red ribbons of energy, replenishing his street and sending the troll toppling over, drained dry.

The troll hit the ground with a massive thud, sending dust and debris everywhere. Martin stood back from the toppling beast to avoid getting the worst of it on him, but even then he had to cover his eyes. When the dust cleared, the goblins in the area had scattered, demoralized over one of their titan's defeat at the hands of only two humans. The rest in the area were being hunted down by the imperial forces.

"That was reckless." Martin said to Jason, looking at the troll's battered weapon. Small tongues of blue fire could still be seen dancing over the war hammer. "Very reckless. You could have gotten us killed with that stunt." Jason was about to protest, when Martin cut him off. "Still, not bad for an civilian. Keep that up and we might make a proper soldier out of you yet."

Jason let out a shot laugh. "Yeah, well, we'll see how tough you talk when I'm not there to hand you your win."

Martin let out an amused snort, before ripping his great sword out of the troll's body. "Come on, we've got a -"

Whatever he was about to say was cut off, as a massive roar, louder than anything the troll could produce, echoed throughout the beach.

All eyes turned skyward, as a massive figure with batlike wings and four clawed limbs flew over to the cliffs where the mages were disrupting enemy formations. With a light so bright it forced many to cover their eyes, a torrent of flame belched from the mouth of the creature incinerated the clifftops.  

"Is that a fucking DRAGON?!" Jason asked, incredulous. A dragon. A goddamn dragon! Once more Jason received an unfortunate reminder than the world he was in was full of stupid, impossible things that should not exist.

"It is. And it's taken out our casters." Martin said, grimly. "It's time to fall back. Without our magicians, we have nothing that can face that monster."

"Wait, look at that." Jason said, looking skyward. Overhead silhouetted by the stars, was a distinctly female figure arcing over the beach, making it's way towards the cliffs where the dragon had landed.

Martin let out a contemplative sound. "If the Incarnate can keep it busy, we might have a shot at this, although it will be harder without our magicians." He said.

No sooner had he finished speaking then the dragon took off in to the night sky, tumbling and rolling through the air and roaring in fury. The source of it's anger was soon apparent, as its tail had grown by several meters in the form of a man attached to it. A man that was throwing fire and lightning with every breath he took, all aimed at the dragon.

"That old man is still alive?" Martin said in disbelief, as Gregori and the dragon dueled in the skies above. "Then what is the Incarnate doing if he's up there?" He asked.

No sooner had the question been asked, than an answer was given. The skies above roiled with newly formed storm clouds, and thunder and lightning could be heard echoing throughout the night air. Flashes of light could be seen on the clifftops, with the sounds of battle echoing all the way down on the beach.

"Who is she fighting?" Jason asked, tightening his grip on his own sword.

"I don't know, but you need to get up there and help her." Martin said.

Jason looked over at Matin in disbelief. "Help her? What  makes you think she needs my help?" He asked.

"Traditionally, anything that doesn't immediately fall to the Incarnate is an extreme threat, dangerous enough that assistance is never out of the question." He said.  "I do not doubt her ability. I simply want whatever is up there dead as fast as possible."

"Fine." Jason said, sheathing his sword and muttering a word of power to strengthen his magical protections. "I'll get up there and see if I can help. Send backup if you can." He said.

Making his way toward the path that lead up the cliffs, Jason ran headlong in to the nights fight. 

OOC

It's still friday somewhere, right?

Next post we'll be out of cut-scene mode with a proper choice. Sorry for the extended period of non-interaction. In retrospect, while fun to write, these weren't exactly quest posts. I'll try and avoid do this again in the future.

@Dullahan Shinigami@Dusky@Emiya Shin@Genon@Heisenberg@Killigrew@Lavender@Reinhardt@Riuma@Silanon@Silvertongued@simj22@Stormblessed@Syrenrei@White Masquerade@wonderandawe

These scenes might not be as interactive, but awesome to read nonetheless. Keep it up!

OOC

Small note: I've removed the word "Ki" from the previous post, and instead refer to it in more oblique terms. It's a small detail, but I felt it was more setting friendly this way.

/OOC

"So. Is it you?" The Black King asked Matilda as he approached where she had landed. Despite blocking a sword with his bare arm, he appeared completely unharmed, strolling causally as though he had not a care in the world. "Are you the Incarnate?" He asked. "You smell like one. There's a cloud of power that hangs around you like smoke or perfume. I don't think anyone other than me would be able to notice it." He said, stopping a few meters away. "After all, I've met most of you."

Matilda had finished picking herself up from where she had been kicked by the Black King, holding her side. She had never been hit that hard in her life, and even without the whispers of the gods in her ear telling her to be careful, she understood exactly why the Black King was such a threat.

Holdig her sword up in a ready stance, she settled in to a defensive posture, watching him carefully.

He looked almost harmless. No clothing save for a set of leggings, long black hair that was unkept and flowing loosely in the wind. If she didn't know any better, Matilda would have been willing to assume he was homeless, or someone who had let the drink go to their head.

But he was dangerous, possibly the most dangerous person in the world.

"I am the Incarnate." She said, her voice hard as she watched him for any sign of aggression.

"You are the Sun and Stars?" He asked, his face taking on a smile.

"I am the Sun and Stars." She replied.

His smile became even wider. "You are the Moon and the Sea? The Earth and the Sky?" He asked.

"They are the domain of my gods. Their power is my power." She replied.

The Black King let out a long sigh, the kind a man parched of thirst might make after drinking a glass of cool water, the smile on his face never faded. "Fantastic." He said. "You know, you're much earlier than usual. Normally you don't show up until I've taken half the continent." He said, casing his gaze down towards the beach where the Imperial forces were battling his own. "I suppose I've become predicable after all these years. Throw an army at the world, raze a few cities to the ground in a big flashy display. Good on you to take the initiative like that. I never expected resistance this early."

Matilda said nothing, letting him talk on about the previous Incarnates while she waited.

"I suppose with you here we'll have to get the final confrontation out of the way." The Black King said, sounding almost disappointed. "There's usually an order to these things. We engage in a series of battles by proxy, killing each other's lieutenants as the continent burns under the fires of our war. Sometimes the capital city falls, sometimes it's the last bastion of hope. I was hoping to see it once more. I was curious what form of government you set up this time." The Black King said, turning towards the mainland. 

That was it. With a rush of wind and a blur of motion, Matilda crossed the distance between herself and the Black King faster than most could see, fully exploiting the opening his ramblings presented.

It was not to be, as the Black King spun on his heal, raising his leg in a kick. the point of her blade strike his knee in a shower of sparks and rebound off of it as though it were made of iron. Undeterred, Matilda used what momentum she had left to launch a secondary attack, slashing at his throat and thrusting at his heart.

Her blows were once more blocked by the Black King as he interposed his bare arms between himself and her blade, sending more sparks flying as her weapon met his body. Blocking one slash with his forearm and punching her thrust, waves of energy rolled off the point where fist met blade, scarring the ground and sending loose matter flying.

"You're a lot more cutthroat than usual. Too bad you don't know how to hurt me yet." The Black King sneered, retaliating by batting aside her sword and launching in to a counter attack. A hard left hook was barely avoided as Matilda leaned out of the blow, and she was forced to block a followup from his right fist, putting her sword between herself and the blow. Another shockwave of raw power ripped out from the impact, staggering Matilda as she absorbed the blow.

Undeterred, she rolled with the attack and brought her sword up lightning quick in an upward slash, stepping forward inside the Black King's reach as she did. The length of her sword was too long for him to avoid completely, and her efforts were rewarded as the point of her blade scrapped along the side of his face, taking with hit a chunk of his ear.

The Black King lashed out with a both fists in a twin blow in response, forcing Matilda to retreat and avoid the attack. With the distance between them, the Black King reached up and touched his face, his hand coming back red with blood.

"Huh." He said, looking at the crimson fluid. "So you do know how to hurt me." He said.

"You always blocked." Matilda said, allowing herself a smirk.

Her smile however, was dwarfed by the look of pure joy and relief that came over the Black King. "Finally." He said. "I think this will be the last time I need to do this."

Before Matilda could say or do anything, the Black King was on her, launching in to an all out assault that forced her to back away, keeping her sword between her and the Black King's blows.

The barrage of punches and kicks came so fast and so frequently that Matilda was put on the defensive, dodging and blocking each blow as best she could and retaliating whenever she saw an opening.  Superficial cuts and scratches slowly began to accumulate on the body of the Black King as her sword found it's mark. She didn't score those wounds without paying for it, though, as a a collection of bruises began to mar her skin from where the Black King's own attacks found purchase, to say nothing of the dents and crushed metal that her armor was slowly becoming.  

After a cross of fist and blade left Matilda with a broken nose and the Black King with a deep gash in his side, Matilda dashed backwards, opening the distance between them. Before the Black King could follow, Matilda placed her hand on the blade of her sword. "I am the Sky." She said.

With that, she pointed her blade skyward, and overhead storm clouds began to gather, roiling with thunder and lightning. Her sword, a shaft of metal, was struck by one of the thunderbolts in a flash of sound and noise. Completely unfazed by the lightning strike, Matilda's sword now crackled with electricity, and gale-force winds began to pick up, swilling around her in a cyclone.

"That's it! Show me what you got!" The Back King crowed jubilantly, watching the winds tear apart the ground. 

Matilda said nothing, and with another flash of lighting on her blade, she disappeared.

The Black King fell in to a guarded stance, eyes darting about, smile never fading. Almost faster than the eye could follow, a bolt of lightning strike out at him, materializing in to the form of a woman with a sword. The Black King whirled in response, lashing out with a blow of his own to intercept Matilda's attack. Thunder ripped across the fields as the two blows met, and almost immediately Matilda disappeared, only to reappear in another flash of lightning. 

With a mad laugh, the Black King began to run, becoming a mobile target for Matilda. Again and again lightning struck at the Black King, always in the form of Matilda swinging her blade. The Black King ducked under one attack, dodged to the side of another and was forced to arrest his momentum and flip backwards over an attack that came from behind.

In mid-air, The Black King's foot lashed out at Matilda's lightning form, hitting her square in the head. Matilda's vision swam as the blow knocked her from her storm-form and back in to physicality, but enough sense and thunder remained with her to manage a rebound, kicking off of the ground and thrusting her blade towards the Black King's heart.

Once more however her blow was intercepted by the Black King's arm as he swing it in a elbow block. It wasn't enough, and her sword pierced though his arm with a crackle of electricity. The only thing that prevented it from going further and ending him once and for all was his other hand, which found it's way to her throat and locked down tight, preventing her from moving forward.

"Almost!" He cried, his excitement lighting his eyes. "You almost got me!" Before Matilda could push her sword the final few feet forward needed to pierce his chest, he wrenched the arm pierced by the sword upward, snapping the end of the blade clean off. With his other hand he held her up off the ground, and her vision began to go dark from the lack of air.

"Good try! Really!" He said, slapping her sword out of her hand with his still impaled arm. "Definitely better than most on your first try. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." He brought his arm up to his face and ripped the broken blade out of himself with his teeth, before spitting the metal shard out and catching it with his now free hand.

Off in the distance, his Dragon and Gregori landed in the earth with a loud crash, there was a tense exchange of spells and dragon fire before the massive creature charged Gregori once more, powering through the magically conjured blades and pouncing on the wizard. A spherical shield prevented Gregori from being crushed, but he was now pinned under the beasts massive bulk, and it seemed to be ignoring every spell he threw at it in favor of breathing stream after stream of fire down on him, making it a matter of time before the shield failed and Gregori was roasted alive.

The Black King saw this and let out a laugh of victory. "Sadly, all good things must come to an end." He said, bringing the broken piece of Matilda's sword up in his hand and drawing it back for a stab. "If you see your stupid gods, tell them I'm coming for them next. Then I'll get what I'm owed."

>>>

Racing up the path that lead to the top of the cliffs, Jason's eye were drawn towards Gregori and the dragon engaged in their arial duel. How the wizard was able to withstand being whipped about like that and not get torn apart by the sheer g-forces involved was beyond Jason, but he chalked it up to more stupid magic.

Wizards, dragons, gods and devils. This whole world was insane, impossible and needed to go away. Sadly he couldn't just banish a whole world, and going back to his own was impossible at this point.

So he ran, up the path and over the crest of the hill, where he saw Matilda engaged in battle with an unknown person.

Moments after he had made it to the top, the dragon and Gregori crashed in to the ground a short ways away from him.

Both sets of combatants were locked in deadly combat, and both Matilda and Gregori were on the defensive. Jason watched as the Dragon pinned Gregori down and shrugged off his spells, intent on killing the wizard before it could be killed in turn. Likewise, Matilda was in trouble. Whoever she was fighting had her by the throat, and was about to run her through with a knife of some kind. Having only seconds to act, Jason drew on every last scrap of the power within him and with a burst of light and a flash of motion, he...

>Launched himself at the man holding Matilda

>Launched himself and the dragon attacking Gregori.

@Dullahan Shinigami@Dusky@Emiya Shin@Genon@Heisenberg@Killigrew@Lavender@Reinhardt@Riuma@Silanon@Silvertongued@simj22@Stormblessed@Syrenrei@White Masquerade@wonderandawe

And there's your choice after an extended cut scene.  :smile2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back