• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Cyborg Angels (world-building and world-ending)

Quincunx

inactive
Ten cyborg angels were made to destroy and remake the world. Their inventor, a Dr. Zoe Albert, called them Angels and gave them wings because she once believed they could save the world from injustice and suffering, like the heavenly beings. However, she slowly began to see the world as an irredeemable place, and decided the only option was to deliver it by destruction before restoration. Before Dr. Albert could release them in the year 2070, she died, leaving them in their shelf-stable maintenance containers.

The Angels, androids in all respects except for human nervous systems taken from young women and girls who wished to be part of the Inventor's secret project, awoke one hundred years later when an explosion rocked the lab, and the emergency doors to the maintenance containers opened. Another scientist, Dr. Aki Gardner, had sent robots to break in and retrieve the Angels' energy source, which was essentially a super battery that could be used to power her colony. However, retrieving this energy source would kill the Angels, and they were forced to fight back.

The Angels fought off the robots, and were left to wander one of the last cities left in the world after a a chemical disaster aggravated by war, with little but the suiting on their backs, their human brains, the mostly-erased memories of their lives as girls, and AI-operating robot pets Dr. Albert made for them telling them the planet is beyond redemption and it's time to cleanse it with their great power.

Each player will control an Angel, a cyborg girl with special weapons technology; wings; and the power to control an element, and decide what to do about humanity. The world's last city, a large colony of scientists and their families who survived the war, is a resilient one, and whether your Angel decides to save or savage it, it could take weeks of warfare to fall completely.

The players also help build the world; each player adds one building to the city upon joining (e.g. a scientific research firm, a school, a shop, etc.). In addition to that building and their Angel, they will also control one important human character (e.g. the scientist in charge of providing power to the city, a teacher who gives her students the gifts of robotics, the head of a team that explores outside the city, etc.), and gets to build the part of the world their character controls.

I'm expecting 4-10 players, myself included, and operating under the assumption that there will be a relatively even number of protective and destructive Angels. The length minimum will probably be 1 paragraph, to accommodate people with problems typing or reading lengthy paragraphs, but players are expected to build the world as in a Detailed roleplay.

Is anyone interested in this post-apocalyptic, world-building, world-ending roleplay?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was initially put off by the phrase "cyborg angels of death," but it turned out being better than I'd expected. Depending on whether any of those who express interest are roleplayers I know and trust, I may be interested.

I'd suggest reconsidering your phrasing in parts, though, as it doesn't border so much as firmly reside in cliche. And I do believe this would be a Detailed tag, rather than Casual.

Got it. I'll try and edit the worst parts of it. Can you tell me what the parts that put you off the most are?

I think it's mostly the terminology. "Inventor" lacks character, "angel" is okay but could use some backstory to justify it, and the bit about another inventor wanting to steal technology sort of implies he's the Bad Guy, in a roleplay where you play mecha-gals engineered to destroy the fucking world. :P

I really enjoy the elements of moral ambiguity this has the potential for.

All of this said, I am hardly one to tell you how your roleplay should go. My suggestions are no more than that and ultimately you need to take it in a direction you're excited about.

Okay, I'll change "Inventor" and give both them and the rival inventor a name. I'm not sure if the rival inventor will be the Bad Guy, because even though she's fundamentally dangerous to Angels, she wants that invention because it's basically a super energy source she could use to help the colony. I'll add some extra info about that to make it clearer that she should have similarly ambiguous morality .

I know, but I appreciate your suggestions. This is something I've wanted to put into a roleplay setting for a while, but I want to do it in such a way that interests others, so you pointing out things I wouldn't have seen otherwise is helpful. Thank you.

EDIT: not sure what I'll do about Angels. The reason I chose it was because I imagined them to have an angel-like design with wings, and their weapons would be called Halos, but I'm not sure that's enough to justify it.

Sign me up. I got a ton of ideas, if you want to listen.

My brain is like a radioactive world, filled with mutated monkeys - with typewriters.

Mollisol said:
EDIT: not sure what I'll do about Angels. The reason I chose it was because I imagined them to have an angel-like design with wings, and their weapons would be called Halos, but I'm not sure that's enough to justify it.
Talk about the inventor's reasoning for the motif. It's easy enough to infer, but having it spelled out is helpful.

Well, I would add some environmental hazards into this world. From the war-era - deadly military tech, other war-robots, malfunctioning AI's, otherwise humans would have repopulated already.

Plus, on how we can construct our own small bases and produce machines to destroy humanity. Should we choose - we have the tech, debris and junk are abundant around here. Maybe even re-activate a dormant robotic army, with an shut-down AI? Giving them new purpouse etc, etc.

Despite the fact we will get an extra human OC, should we choose to join with humans. Who'll control the human' environment? The usual NPCs and civilians whom will react to seeing a cyborg-angel strolling around their city.

Environmental hazards would make sense, especially in a world that's the way it is because of a chemical disaster. I don't have anything solid yet, but problems like toxic water or air seem like good problems to overcome.

I think small houses or bases, or even making your own lesser mecha, are reasonable. I think your character should have reasonable materials/resources to do that, though, and she might have to at least pretend to be merciful or part of humanity to amass those (which could be interesting).

Maybe adding to the factor, on how all ten or four - depending on players, consider each-other sisters...

On the factor, on how technology - might have regressed a few years back. Considering everything blown to bye-bye land; I would assume some knowledge would be lost - and once one Angel joins humans, and the scientist observing her knowledge, the tech she brought and even herself. Could be amased by it.

Maybe, with humans having a reclamation Project - that with the help of an Angel, could restart Humanity.

...a heart-breaking moments, when Angels fight against eachother. Children later remembering some of them, in a greeny grassfield...on they descended and aided in their rebirth. Maybe some Angel x Human love... xD ...

NecroKnight said:
Well, I would add some environmental hazards into this world. From the war-era - deadly military tech, other war-robots, malfunctioning AI's, otherwise humans would have repopulated already.
Plus, on how we can construct our own small bases and produce machines to destroy humanity. Should we choose - we have the tech, debris and junk are abundant around here. Maybe even re-activate a dormant robotic army, with an shut-down AI? Giving them new purpouse etc, etc.

Despite the fact we will get an extra human OC, should we choose to join with humans. Who'll control the human' environment? The usual NPCs and civilians whom will react to seeing a cyborg-angel strolling around their city.
I can get behind that. They would have to be at least a little malfunctioning, though - maybe in good enough condition to lash out at people, but not enough to be able to repurpose without significant opportunity cost. The idea of repurposing them is good, though. The hazards should also be able to give Angels a run for their money, as despite their powers, Angels are 100 years out of date.

I'm not 100% decided on who should control NPCs, but I think for people who would be "bystanders", it comes down to which player character's domain they're under (for example, if a player's building is a residential area, and their human is the head of an electrical power company, the player controls all NPCs in that residential area, and all NPCs who are employed by the power company). If they're not in anybody's domain, and they don't have any consequential role besides "shocked innocent bystander who decides to fight or tell someone", I think it's fair that the player can control those.

Speaking of which, there should be at least some disguise/clothing resource around the city so the Angels don't have to be suited up 100% of the time, and can potentially pretend to be a regular person.

I just got your other post, so I will respond to it after this one.

NecroKnight said:
Maybe adding to the factor, on how all ten or four - depending on players, consider each-other sisters...
On the factor, on how technology - might have regressed a few years back. Considering everything blown to bye-bye land; I would assume some knowledge would be lost - and once one Angel joins humans, and the scientist observing her knowledge, the tech she brought and even herself. Could be amased by it.

Maybe, with humans having a reclamation Project - that with the help of an Angel, could restart Humanity.

...a heart-breaking moments, when Angels fight against eachother. Children later remembering some of them, in a greeny grassfield...on they descended and aided in their rebirth. Maybe some Angel x Human love... xD ...
That's really good drama potentially. I want to give the players the option to ally with other Angels, or compete with them like their Robopets say to. (Obeying or at least negotiating with the Robopets' destructive nature is important, because the Angels essentially get into their mecha suits by fusing with their Robopet.) Depending on the players, some are going to see each other as sisters, and others will see each as obstacles (especially the ones who are competing for destruction). And while the Angels don't have current technology, they are intelligent, potentially science-minded women and girls with elemental powers (which could help or hinder things in a non-battle context, such as natural resources).

A reclamation project would be exactly the type of large-scale Angel/human interaction I'm hoping to see in this. And this roleplay will be open to romance, so Angel/human pairings are totally within the realm of possibility. ;)

I can already imagine the setting, the last city on fire - the renegade' sister' armies, besieging the last hold-out.

Several pro-human Angels having fallen and died, defending their loved or the children they care. The last Angel, breaking her own sisters apart - a last teary farewell to them all; before she too, connects herself into an ancient defense-mainframe.

Re-activating Earth' lost defense-systems and obliterating the renegade' armies once and for all. And with the dust cleared, she bids farewell - giving the scientists the lost data, they need to reclaim their world; before she too, shuts down and her data-code is erased.

Centuries later, the tale of the Ten Angels being told to a pair of young kids - with a grandpa, whom was a small child then and having met and raised by a pro-human Angel. Re-reading the story to them all over again.

I like this!

Also, you bring up a good point that there ought to be multiple cities. The action should center or at least start in the scientists' colony, but yeah, there should be other cities or colonies waiting to be discovered.

If enough people get interested in this, I'm going to add the lost defense systems/environmental hazards to the appropriate tab.

Maybe more human factions, and all Angels with different motives? With scientist city, only major place with a large human population...

• One trying to purify everything on Earth?

• Second trying to save and help humans...

• Another re-awakening an AI-construct and wanting establish a machine-nation.

• A fourth Angel, maybe finding a group of marauders or tribals - giving them access to tech, and making them worship her as a Godess.

Dusky said:
Hrrrm. I'll have to pass on this. Apologies.
That's okay. Thanks for all your help before.

NecroKnight said:
Maybe more human factions, and all Angels with different motives? With scientist city, only major place with a large human population...
  • One trying to purify everything on Earth?

• Second trying to save and help humans...

• Another re-awakening an AI-construct and wanting establish a machine-nation.

• A fourth Angel, maybe finding a group of marauders or tribals - giving them access to tech, and making them worship her as a Godess.
I will consider that - it doesn't necessitate as many players, which is good (not to be rude, but this board seems kind of quiet in comparison to, say, Fantasy). However, it will make character creation/selection a little more complicated.

NecroKnight said:
What will happen, if your only stuck with us two?
A 1x1?
Maybe. I'm doubting it will come to that, since I just started this thread today, and I bet there are people who might be just as interested as us who haven't seen it yet. I'm open to a 1x1 with you, but I was honestly hoping for at least 2 or 3 other people. (I'm not offput by you personally; I quite enjoyed brainstorming with you! It's just that I've had this idea in the works for years, and I envisioned at least 3 or 4 people playing it. :c )

NecroKnight said:
Wait a day or two then?
That's what I'm thinking. If it's just the two of us by Friday evening, a 1x1 will be in order, although I'll still allow a few people to join it if you're down with that. (There obviously won't be 10 angels, though, xD )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back